Thread: Candidate Al Slemko

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Candidate Al Slemko

This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Al Slemko Councillor Ward 10.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!

First One is Always Free

Default Lets get this campaign going!

I look forward to answering any questions about myself, issues and the campaign that anyone has. Please visit my website for more information about current issues. www.alslemko.ca
    Let's get this conversation started!
    Al
    Last edited by Al Slemko; 24-09-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Hi Al. Your website doesn't seem to be working. When do you expect it to be up and running?

First One is Always Free

Sorry. The link was typed incorrectly. It should be working now

www.alslemko.ca

Addicted to C2E

Mr Slemko. You served on the City of Edmonton SDAB for a number of years. How do you feel this will benefit you as a City Councillor?

Mr. Slemko,

Could you please tell us why we in ward 10 should vote for you over Don Iveson? It seems to me that your platforms have a lot in common , so what sets you apart?

First One is Always Free

The SDAB is a quasi judicial board that has to follows the rules of natural justice. We are given extensive training in Administrative Law, Planning Law and decision writing and these same rules apply to city council. The hearing process has given me skills to listen to and determine all the relevant facts presented and then make a decision based on the information put forward. This is very applicable to the public hearings or any presentation made to council.

First One is Always Free

What sets me apart from Don is" experience". I have been a business owner since 1982. Twenty plus years of extensive volunteer experience in ward 5 and the city. My 6 years with 3 being the chair of the SDAB.

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions here Mr Slemko.

I've taken a look at your website first to see if it could answer my question, but it leaves me with another question

The municipal airport is not an issue for me; City Council has made a decision
    right or wrong. As a councillor I would not be prepared to go back and reconsider
    the decision made by past councils. Today and tomorrow is my focus.
    If elected, how will you make sure that previous decisions by council aren't reversed such as this one? You (if elected) only make one of 13 votes in council. With the amount of candidates running on the pro-airport platform, this issue is likely to boil up again in council. How will you handle it? Do you feel current council has made the right decision? I understand today and tomorrow is your focus, but we can't proceed without properly closing off yesterdays news. What will you do to ensure that yesterdays news is properly taken care of, and further, what ideas do you have for the redevelopment of the city center airport?
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

First One is Always Free

I thought it was important to consolidate passenger flights at the Edmonton International Airport. I am not sure I currently have enough information about the costs and benefits of closing the municipal airport. Council is governed by the provincial Municipal Government Act. The act provides the regulations about plebiscites and the Envision Edmonton plebiscite did not meet those provisions. If it does come before City Council again I would listen, consult with Ward 10 Residents and then make my decision. After making a decision I would ensure Ward 10 residents knew my rationale for my decision. I believe the Municipal Airport site is an opportunity for smart urban planning in the core of the city. The infrastructure exists and can be further fortified to accommodate new residents in the core. Edmonton can create a market for inner city development and avoid excessive suburban growth. I think many future homeowners would like to make a choice to live in central Edmonton - if there are reasonable choices for those new home owners. Redevelopment of mature neighbourhoods is important and should be encouraged outside the Municipal Airport land

First One is Always Free

The closure of the airport should not affect the expansion and ongoing operation of the aviation museum. The Aviation Museum could play a major role in the redevelopment of the site. The museum could be integral to the design of the new planned community Planes would no longer be landing but the significance of the earlier planes and flight could define the new community. I do not know of anyone who complains about living next to the Royal Alberta Museum.

Thank you for your response

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

Good Luck

Hi Al,

Quick comment/question. Why did you choose to run in Ward 10 against Don Iveson? I really wish I could have both of you on council.

Thanks,

etownboarder

Al,

Sorry... one more question for you. You didn't respond to the Capital Club survey on LGBT issues here in Edmonton, AB. Why not? If you didn't have time, would you mind answering the three questions asked in the original survey?

1) What have you done in the past to support Edmonton's lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans-identified,and queer (LGBTQ) community?

2) Tell us about a significant issue impacting Edmonton’s LGBTQ community.

3) How will you work to address this issue?

Thanks,

etownboarder