Thread: Candidate Jamie Kenneth Post

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Candidate Jamie Kenneth Post

This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Jamie Kenneth Post – Councillor Ward 1.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!

First One is Always Free

Thank you to C2E for providing this again for this election.

Born in Edmonton, I'm 28 and a resident of the Glenwood community in Ward 1. My background is in I.T., my preference is Networking but I deal with anything which lands on my desk. It was through my volunteer activities that I chose to seek the Council seat. I serve as the Civics/Publicity Director and Webmaster for the Glenwood Community League, I represent the community on the Jasper Place Revitalization, and I work as the editor of the The SPURR, a community newspaper with a distribution of 15,000 serving the JP area, the Stony Plain Road BRZ and neighboring communities. As well, over the past year I've volunteered time to the EFCL's Planning & Development committee, working on issues such as family-friendly multi-unit housing, social housing distribution, the upcoming TOD framework, zoning amendments, and neighborhood schools.

Phone: 780-756-6559
    Email: [email protected]

Links:
    Twitter: @Jamie_Post
    Facebook: Elect Jamie Post Councillor for Ward 1

Blog
    Platform
    Experience

Copied from the Politics forum:

Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    Thanks for particpating, Hana. I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of the following, if you have the time. If any other candidates in this ward stumble on this thread, I'd like to hear from you a well.

1. With the current LRT line proposed for the SE, do you think the city is on the right track, so to speak, with the alignment, the choice of using low-floor trains, etc?
    My preference would have been for a unified mass-transit system connecting the West and Southeast to the existing line, and extensions to NAIT, St. Albert, Century Park, and eventually EIA. While looking at a low-floor street-car system to circulate downtown which could have had numerous available stops within it's loop.

However a decision has been made, the issue is putting together funding, in combination with new urban character zoning amendments, a new set of available family-friendly amenity standards, the Transit and Land Use framework, and local area statutory plans. As well, there are communities along the corridors which are slated for neighborhood renewal, I'd like to see those projects completed in meantime.

I strongly believe there is an obligation to serve mature neighborhoods along the routes, and I'd like to see Council taking into account the ability of current and future decision makers to add stops along those LRT corridors in the future.

1b. What do you think of Transit service in general in your ward? Are there areas you think could be improved or is it sufficient as it is?
    It does the job, and the BRT to downtown has also been well received. Upon completion of the West LRT, bus routes will obviously be re-worked, and I'd like to see a focus on extending that service further into residential areas.

2. What are your thoughts on infill development and densification, particularly within your ward? What are your thoughts on the Strathearn redevelopment, for example?
    We need more taxpayers within our existing footprint, I think thats fairly indisputable. The residential infill guidelines and the MDP were a good start, but the next 3-6 years are crucial for our long-term planning. New zoning bylaws, family-friendly development standards and open cooperation with school board officials to attract families back to the core and mature neighborhoods, long-term land-use planning, revised public consultation processes, these are all things I see as critical priorities for the next term.

2b. Similarly, do you have thoughts or ideas about how to slow the outward growth of the city?
    Playing catch-up is always difficult, especially on an issue we should have started addressing 10-20 years ago. A large part of the problem is the cost of infill development, the addiction to green-field development, and urban decay.

We need to research ways to lower the price-point for small scale infill. However it's home buyers we need to target. I love living in a mature community, diverse, and close to downtown and nearly everything, I've got mature trees in my yard, and don't have to take a freeway to go anywhere. If we can bring the price point of infill down, and focus our planning & development on high-standards and providing neighborhood amenities and housing choice, then I think we can move the market into demanding homes in urban areas.

Part of the work is moving quickly, in cooperation with school board trustees, to preserve our community schools as neighborhood hubs. Community policing is crucial to helping build safe, walkable communities, as is the support of Ward councillors for current and future neighborhood and business revitalization efforts, several of which will conclude their lifespans towards the end of the upcoming Council term.

3. I would like to hear your ideas on the homeless problem facing our city. What do think needs to be done to ameliorate this problem?
    Edmonton exists in the position of bearing weight, not just for the capital region, but northern Alberta and even northern Canada. It's a role I feel we haven't been provided adequate resources from the provincial and federal governments to take on. That's a lobby effort in itself, however we are responsible for how we handle these issues within our city. This past year, the light has been shone on the problems an over-concentration of social, environment, and economic issues has created in our inner city communities such as McCauley. My focus is on treating this as a city-wide issue, protecting distressed communities, while providing support mechanisms city-wide, however Shane said it as well as any candidate can, people need to want help before we can provide it.

4. What is your opinion of a proposed new downtown arena? Do you believe that public funds should be used to help build it?
    I like the concept, and provided a future arena district is designed as a part of downtown, rather than an entity unto itself, then I think it can be an excellent boost for downtown revitalization. However my concern is downtown as a whole, the city will contribute to the project in the form on infrastructure and rapid-transit, and I think it's up to private investment to construct the facilities, while we take care of the civic side and downtown infrastructure.

5. What are your thoughts on school closures in mature neighborhoods? This is an issue that deeply impacts your ward, I'd like to know what you think council can do to reverse this trend and help bring families back to and keep them in these neighborhoods.
    I live in a mature neighborhood, I represent my community in a neighborhood revitalization effort, and serve on a local community league. We want to attract families back to the urban core, we want to create community hubs through our schools, and when we lose a school it takes that ability away from us.

Early this year, as part of my work with the EFCL, I joined a project aimed at helping to reverse this trend. The workshop we have coming up on September 25th, will go a long-way to providing the feedback we need to begin a serious lobby for policy to help attract families back from suburban areas. However, what will really be needed down the road is vision and strong direction from Councillors and Trustees.

6. More generally and broadly, what is your vision for Edmonton? What should we as a city focus on in order to get ourselves there?
    I see it becoming a city for everyone. Where you can live anywhere, have local shopping and amenities, and be in a walkable, healthy community. Where we encourage long-term human investment in our communities, rather than a city where we head outward to raise a family, and are limited in our housing options in our later years.

I live in Jasper Place, which is in many ways a testament to how short-term wants and whims can damage an area. It comes down to long-term vision, experimenting and putting in place the policy and planning documents we need to get there, and working with our regional partners through the Capital Region Board. As I said before, we're playing catch-up on many things, and the next 3-6 years are going to be crucial.

Jamie Post
    Ward 1 Candidate
    JamiePost.com
    [email protected]
    780-756-6559[/QUOTE]
    JamiePost.com
    twitter.com/Jamie_Post

Hi Jamie. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts in this forum.

I have read in other threads on C2E that you support keeping the ECCA open. If this is true, could you please elaborate on your reasons why you have this opinion, specifically as to how it relates to your opinions on making the most efficient use of existing infrastructure, increasing the number of taxpayers within our existing footprint and revitalizing the downtown core.

Thanks very much.

First One is Always Free

My personal opinion, when this was debated last year, was that I believed the agreements with the current leaseholders established a lifespan for the facility, and any decision regarding closure should have taken place when those were approaching their expiration, while in the meantime focusing on completing our smaller infill projects, and our detailed long-term planning documents regarding infill development.

We've been through a divisive petition drive, several weeks of contentious debate, and should the next Council re-open the issue, I don't see it accomplishing anything other than sacrificing time, effort, and other issues just to end up back at the current decision. A decision has been made, and reaffirmed, and I hope the next Council is able to move forward onto other issues, in particular the work relating to infill development, reinvestment in older urban areas, and neighborhood revitalization, rather than using issues which I feel need to be addressed within the next 3 years, as a political football (as the NAIT LRT line was) or simply not putting the required time and resources into them.
    JamiePost.com
    twitter.com/Jamie_Post

So is it fair to summarize your position by saying:

1) the airport should've been left alone,
    2) but now that the decision has been made, the City should just move forward with that decision.

Is that accurate?

First One is Always Free

Pretty much. This Council has debated it twice now, and I believe the next Council needs to move on to the other issues at hand
    JamiePost.com
    twitter.com/Jamie_Post

First One is Always Free

For anyone up early on Saturday morning, a quick interview I did with Getting Social with Schwabe regarding social media use in the campaign will be airing on The Team 1260 at 7am.

As well, if you haven't seen them yet, CTV has done a great set of Candidate Profiles.
    JamiePost.com
    twitter.com/Jamie_Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Post View Post
    Pretty much. This Council has debated it twice now, and I believe the next Council needs to move on to the other issues at hand
    I commend you on your stance re the airport and the fact that we need to get on with building this city into something greater.

Good luck in your campaign--it would be nice to see a new face in this Ward.

First One is Always Free

Just a reminder about the Ward 1 Candidates Forum tonight, 7pm at Westlawn Junior High School - 9520-165 St.

Upcoming events:

Shaw TV Forum - Thursday, September 30, 7-8pm

Politweetup -Saturday, October 02, 2010 from 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM (MT) at Metro Billiards Cafe
    10250 - 106 Street

Westend Seniors Activity Centre - Tuesday, October 5, 11am, 9629-176st

Next Gen Forum - Wednesday, October 6, 6:30pm, Heart of the Robbins - Grant MacEwan University, 10910 104 St
    JamiePost.com
    twitter.com/Jamie_Post

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

The obvious issue is the future of the facility without the ability to directly bring in aircraft or host events such as Airfest on-site. Both my family and I are strong supporters of the Aviation Museum, and I'm committed to keeping it in Edmonton, and on the current site as the future anchor tenant for a Mall of Museums exhibit.

I do hope that with the support of the city, the museum can utilize a regional airport for offsite events and aircraft movements. However now is the time to begin discussing the facility's future. Should the decision ultimately be to relocate it, then we should be securing that space for the museum within the next several years.
    JamiePost.com
    twitter.com/Jamie_Post

Thank you for your response

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

Good luck