Thread: Sherwood Park outraged over 'glorified medi-centre'

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Sherwood Park outraged over 'glorified medi-centre'

Sherwood Park is expecting a hospital to be built there but never happened so they got is medi centre instead.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...4?hub=Edmonton
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E SME

Sherwood Park and Strathcona County have 90,000 residents, and they would definitely use an acute facility (including obstetrics, emergency, general surgery, outpatient clinics, etc.). Even if critical patients could be stabilized there, that would save lives. Leduc, St. Albert, Stony Plain and Fort Saskatchewan have facilities, and Sherwood Park's facility would take off some of the workload from the Grey Nuns, University and Royal Alexandra (and perhaps Fort Saskatchewan) hospitals.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Poor Iris Evans. She kisses Stelmach's butt and her constituents still don't get a real hospital.

Attention Sherwood Park residents:
    What has Iris Evans done for your community? It's time to get someone to stand up for Strathcona County....not someone who is a puppet of the premier.

Sherwood Park/Strathcona County have been downwind from Refinery Row for decades....why do they need a Hospital now? Your taxes have been low for decades because of Refinery Row taxes paid to your COUNTY. Buiild your own bloody Hospital at your own expense.

But YES, vote Iris out anyway....she is a former Nurse who has stabbed her own in the back as well.
    Time will tell on this new Alberta Government.

grish

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Sherwood Park and Strathcona County have 90,000 residents, and they would definitely use an acute facility (including obstetrics, emergency, general surgery, outpatient clinics, etc.). Even if critical patients could be stabilized there, that would save lives. Leduc, St. Albert, Stony Plain and Fort Saskatchewan have facilities, and Sherwood Park's facility would take off some of the workload from the Grey Nuns, University and Royal Alexandra (and perhaps Fort Saskatchewan) hospitals.
    well, the geography of Sherwood Park makes their access to quality hospitals (Grey Nuns, University and RAH) much better than the communities you have mentioned. I am all for having more hospital beds. I just don't see the comparison to St. Albert, for example, as a valid one. Sturgeon county is quite far from all the hospitals in Edmonton.

I would just stick to a community of 90,000 people should have a hospital.

I agree that Sherwood Park needs a hospital but this is typical PC politics of bait and switch. Maybe it is about time that Sherwood Park steps up to the plate and become a city proper, not a hamlet. Hamlets do not have hospitals, cities do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet_(place)
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

the real reason Sherwood Park did not get hospital being built due to Economy

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...zwozdesky.html
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E SME

I agree jagators63, priorities have to be reviewed with a $4.7 billion deficit. At least Grande Prairie is getting a facility, and Sherwood Park is getting the first phase, which will put them on par with the NE Community Health Centre.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    the real reason Sherwood Park did not get hospital being built due to Economy

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...zwozdesky.html
    So after 10 years of foot dragging with multiple government surpluses during an oil boom, refinery expansions in Strathcona County, huge population growth and Sherwood Park gets diddly squat????? It amazes me how we keep voting for this same kakistocracy.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Sherwood Park didn't get diddly squat. They got squat and a half. They should have stepped up to the plate and become a city years ago. It's hard to wean yourself off those refineries.

If they would have gone into a shared facility with the Fort maybe they would have gotten something decent and actually built but they had to be greedy and keep it in their own back yard. Now they will both end up with a glorified medi-centres.

grish

^ good point.

Sherwood Park's pathway to getting a hostpital:
    1. become a city
    2. Learn to share
    3. Be a little bit more generous

done.

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    ^ good point.

Sherwood Park's pathway to getting a hostpital:
    1. become a city
    2. Learn to share
    3. Be a little bit more generous

done.
    yup- totally agree with that.

Becoming a city will not make a difference, what will would be to shake up the provincial government's complacency. For example the province parachuted in a MLA for the last election Tim Uppel, he of course was elected, if the riding voted for someone else the government might realize they couldn't take that seat for granted (which they currently do).

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Becoming a city will not make a difference, what will would be to shake up the provincial government's complacency. For example the province parachuted in a MLA for the last election Tim Uppel, he of course was elected, if the riding voted for someone else the government might realize they couldn't take that seat for granted (which they currently do).
    Last time I checked, Tim Uppal was a member of federal Parliament.

http://www.timuppal.ca/

Sorry my bad, this being said the provincial government does take advantage of the fact Sherwood Park/Strathcona County will vote conservative, it might swing Wild Rose in the next election. I highly doubt it would vote Liberal or NDP.
    Last edited by sundance; 07-09-2010 at 12:47 PM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

This has absolutely nothing to do with Sherwood Park's pseudo-hamlet status.

In the end, it was a funding priority.

I actually am a bit concerned as the RAH is one of the busiest hospitals in the city, and IIRC, the busiest emerg room in the city...and when I say the "city", all the little quasi-autonomous bedroom communities are included.

This would have helped relieve the issues with the RAH, as well as expanding Sturgeon would have assisted in that quadrant too. Who gives a darn what mini-municipality this is in...the end game is health care.

...or if this came as a result of some inter-city cluckfest, then all the more reason to all out dismantle this anachronistic sand line drawing...

...somehow...I don't think it has anything to do with the Park's status whatsoever...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

It still does not excuse the fact that during the boom surplus years the PC's sat on their hands and did nothing.

Great shell game, claim during a boom that the costs are too high and delay. During a bust they say they don't have the money and delay some more.

^ maybe they should use tents instead?
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    It still does not excuse the fact that during the boom surplus years the PC's sat on their hands and did nothing.
    That is a different conversation...agreed.

That shell game hit a lot of personal and business folks too though...people not expanding their homes or renovating because trades are too high, and now that they are laid off/outsourced...they can't afford to...

...add "government contract"...and prices often hyper-inflate...see LRT and our ridiculously high costs there that have yet to be fully explained...

...and no, please god...don't make this an LRT v others discussion I just used that as an example...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Paula Simons weighs in: most of the people in Sherwood Park are closer to full-service hospitals in Edmonton than a lot of Edmontonians are, and probably don't need much more than the clinic they're getting.

Good read.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...446/story.html
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

On the lighter side of this subject:

diagnostic imagining laboratories
    Are there people that actually have medical problems with their imaginations?

I could split hairs about Paula's argument about Cameron Heights to nearest hospital
    But using google
    Cameron Heights to Misericordia Hospital 10.3 km
    Sherwood Park to Grey Nuns Hospital 16.0 km

A bit farther but unless you are Envision Edmonton the difference is fairly insignificant. The bigger problem is why is the county council not putting a fire under the province's butts, when you consider Fort Saskatchewan will have had 2 hospitals (yes they will close the old one) before Sherwood Park has 1 and Fort is 1/4 to 1/5th the size you start to realize it is more a matter of political expediency rather then need.

Fort Saskatchewan doesn't need a hospital either. An urgent-care centre there would be fine as well.

I agree with Paula on this one. Spending tens of millions on bricks and mortar and equipment for what would amount to a paltry version of the fantastic facilities in Edmonton is a waste. Fix the bones, cuts, and other stuff at the centres in the Park and the Fort, and ship out all the big stuff to the top pros in Edmonton.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by magu2k View Post
    On the lighter side of this subject:

diagnostic imagining laboratories
    Are there people that actually have medical problems with their imaginations?
    It's diagnostic IMAGING
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E SME

I think the county should roast over this:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...852/story.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...121/story.html

While Jason Gariepy may have crossed a line, he did so standing up for his constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Great shell game, claim during a boom that the costs are too high and delay. During a bust they say they don't have the money and delay some more.
    Have you checked out the University Hospital additions over the last decade? I doubt they were sitting on their hands, but I know they weren't sitting on their wallets.

Paula Simons wrote a good piece on this yesterday, as I see others have mentioned. She's right. There isn't really a need for a hospital in Sherwood Park. They are minutes away from some of the finest facilities in the country. Other small communties in Alberta, or anywhere really, should have it so good. I know the good citizens of SP resent having to go to the big city for things, but that's the way it is when you're close enough to be a part of it, but don't want to be a part of it.

This is old-fashioned pork-barrel politics gone sideways.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-09-2010 at 02:22 AM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Fort Saskatchewan doesn't need a hospital either. An urgent-care centre there would be fine as well.
    Chmilz I take it you do not live in either Sherwood Park, east Edmonton or Fort Saskatchewan, for the population that is underserved, either the Northeast Community Health Centre should be expanded (unlikely as there really isn't the room) or a new hospital is needed.

Just because you are being served fine where you live doesn't mean everybody else is.
    Last edited by sundance; 10-09-2010 at 09:06 AM.

The county loses credibility when it releases such statements, Gariepy complained. He suggested all council members should vet such statements before they are sent in the future. The quote from Olesen sounded as if it came "straight from the PC party" and was a "glowing partisan endorsement," Gariepy said.
    "This is the worst case of PR damage control I have seen in recent years," the e-mail added, according to Gariepy.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...#ixzz0z94oEyrs
    We need more politicians like Gariepy.

And this also proves it's true that Sherwood Park people have a love-in with the PC Party.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    The county loses credibility when it releases such statements, Gariepy complained. He suggested all council members should vet such statements before they are sent in the future. The quote from Olesen sounded as if it came "straight from the PC party" and was a "glowing partisan endorsement," Gariepy said.
    "This is the worst case of PR damage control I have seen in recent years," the e-mail added, according to Gariepy.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...#ixzz0z94oEyrs

We need more politicians like Gariepy.

And this also proves it's true that Sherwood Park people have a love-in with the PC Party.
    Although i agree that Sherwood Park politicians have a love in with the PC party(doesn't this whole province?), I;m not sure this issue is anything more than a PR move from a politician that is up for reelection and suddenly has someone running against him.

I don't see this being about level of care or access to it. Everyone in the Edmonton region has access to world class hospitals. And as for trauma, the new facility will have an emergency unit, which is a very good thing for Sherwood Park. Eventually it will have 72 beds too.

Friends and family of Parkies in an Edmonton hospital will continue to have to drive an extra 10 minutes to visit their loved ones. But soon they'll have greatly improved access to emergency services, where that 10 minutes actually makes a difference.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Chmilz I take it you do not live in either Sherwood Park, east Edmonton or Fort Saskatchewan, for the population that is underserved, either the Northeast Community Health Centre should be expanded (unlikely as there really isn't the room) or a new hospital is needed.

Just because you are being served fine where you live doesn't mean everybody else is.
    I grew up in Fort Saskatchewan, lived there for 17 years until I finally made the move to Edmonton in 2005. I'm 100% confident they don't need full-service hospitals. They need urgent-care medi clinics that can set bones and do stitches.

If I still lived there and had a heart attack, I'd rather be sent to the Mazankowski Hearth Institute than the Fort Hospital. It's just redundant (and budget-draining) bricks and mortar when there's ultra-specialized, world-class care down the road.

Having several friends and relatives living in the Park they agree for something as serious as heart attack they would prefer the Maz service. For an overnight surgery such as appendix removal or childbirth they would much prefer a local facility. They want the best of both worlds of course.

For many NE Edmonton residents this facility would also be the closest overnight facility for them. I wonder if it would actually be allowed if your address was Edmonton for you to check into this facility.......likely not.

Once again this leads to the forward thinking that we should become one large city, and pool our resources.

Pooling our resources is a wise idea, one city is sort of more irrelevant, but that is reason for the Capital Region Board, to co-ordinate things better. Large cities tend to be more inefficient with size. But that is best left for this thread

Capital Region municipalities enter new era

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=16274