Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
Results 2,601 to 2,654 of 2654

Thread: West LRT | Downtown to Lewis Estates | Conceptual Discussion About Approved Route

Which does nothing to address the multiple stops along the way, each of which adds a couple of minutes to the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    You are correct Medwards.
    You can't put the genie back into the bottle with a slow streetcar.
    But some sexy trolleybuses (i.e. streetcars with tires) would do the trick, right?

First One is Always Free

Default Re: higher average speed

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Which does nothing to address the multiple stops along the way, each of which adds a couple of minutes to the trip.
    I guess that is why they have express buses (with wheels), on lanes available to alternative vehicles, such as non-express buses, cars, trucks, vans, bikes, etc.

Ahh yes, assbackwards Edmonton. Using buses as the crosstown express routes, LRT for local feeder routes. Sounds logical to me.

Exactly.

The LRT lines that reach the edges of town should be limited stops, about a mile apart. You want streetcars? make them close in, basically the route 5 or parts of the 3. Jasper Place to downtown, Meadowlark even to link up with the mainline Lewis Estates to downtown via U of A. 111 ave between Westmount and Stadium. Just enough links to allow them to get to the barns.

But no, we're going to put in high capacity rail and make it take longer than the current express bus.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Having local bus routes that shut down at 10pm is a bad idea from what I heard from people regarding the Bus Network Redesign. Anyone been at Clareview station on a week night after 10pm? Its busy.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E SME

I think the only part of town that will benefit from the West LRT will be downtown up to 124 Street, where buses stop for a minute every two blocks.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think the only part of town that will benefit from the West LRT will be downtown up to 124 Street, where buses stop for a minute every two blocks.
    What a sad statement.

The entire city will benifit. Just as any city with annexpansive transit system does.

Go on, how will the whole city benefit from a a streetcar line to millwoods/lewis estates that offers no advantages over existing bus service?

Yes because a transit system had to do more than move someone from wem to dt in 10 min with nonstops...

Edmontonís LRT system is one of many similar designs. They have been built and are being built around the world and more and more are being designed everyday. Again Paris took the plunge and invested heavily in this model. Their T1 and T2 lines vary some 50 million people a year with a stop every 750m on average.

The people who claim that these systems donít work and arenít popular are living in a fantasy land. There is well documented proof that these systems do work and work very well and remain to be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Go on, how will the whole city benefit from a a streetcar line to millwoods/lewis estates that offers no advantages over existing bus service?
    We have showed many times that the lrt will have time savings over the existing bus system which will only grow as the city does. People, other than I, have directly responded to your assertion that there is no improvement but you just ignore them.

Your bias is long standing and well documented across this site for many years.

No one is going to tell you anything Matt

We have showed you many time that the LRT wont have any time savings over the existing bus service.

your bias is long standing and well documented. Anytime you get called out properly, you run away, and resurface several months/years later and offer up the same bullcrap you did before. Paris isn't a comparable city to Edmonton. Just stop that.

Go away again, **********

If you want people to continue to drive everywhere, and offer no opportunity for modal shift, keep building these LRT routes that stop as frequently as a local bus service...
    Last edited by Medwards; 01-02-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Again as we have posted before, using actual ets travel times on actual eta busses.... there will be time savings and efficiencies. Itís just a simple fact.

Itís sad the only way you can reply is in some sort of nan na nana boo boo, I know you are but what am I childish fashion.

You have no right to tell people to go away from a public space. Again the way in which you address others is all people need to see. You discredit yourself.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 01-02-2019 at 08:20 AM.

"we" as in you alone? Stop using "we", you only speak for yourself.

There is no time savings. I've shown you plenty of times. The route 15 makes it from MWTC to dt in 30 to 32 Minutes, which is the exact time as the LRT is suppose to take. All for only 2.2 Billion dollars! What a great spending that was.

It's funny, your last line, after telling people to check their white privledge, calling others asshats... Bravo.

Again Matt you have a been disproven on your times over and over again not just by me but others. So yes WE keep saying you are wrong.

Check your privilege has nothing to do with skin town, but true to your nature the only way you can reply is via personal attack and taking your grievances across multiple threads.

I find it amazing that you have not been banned from this site for the way you treat people.

I wonít be replying to you any further on this topic for the foreseeable future. Just remember the last word doesnít make you factually correct.

Peace

You're the only one. Everyone else here seems to get it. But hey, you have a few years to catch up to. Go back, and read. Maybe you'll learn a few things. Good luck. It's funny how much you call me out for the exact stuff you are doing. I'm only doing to you in return... but hey, thanks for giving up again.

Just like with NAIT LRT, SLRT... you'll find out eventually, god damnit, medwards was right, and you'll disappear for a few years again.

See ya!

EDP vs Medwards

another funny
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

EDP vs Medwards

another funny
    Accidents are a ligit concern, but accidents happen on the existing lrt as well. We can grade separate it but people and things still find their way onto the track.

Cats and dogs on the sky train track, people being pushed off platforms onto railway tracks and a... pet of some sort on the NY subway just to name a few high profile ones off the top of my head.

Not to mention signal failures mechanical issues and maintenance/upgrades.

But non of this is unique to transportation anytime you have moving parts you will have breakdowns in the system of one sort or another.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 01-02-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    We dont have a build like Strasbourg. We need transit systems that suit our environment. We need transit solutions that meets the needs of the entire REGION, not just a select group of people that live centrally.

we need a central low floor system similar to a streetcar network, and also, an fast, efficient, frequent, limited stops LRT network.

This botched plan to combine these two types of network is an attempt to check off too many boxes while losing sight on what actually should happen.
    I wish I had the time to debate this in more detail with you, but I need to get work done You are convinced that the CoE's plan on LRT is 'botched', I get it. But I don't get the sense that your passion for your position is backed up by a whole lot of experience either through travelling to other places around the world, urban planning education or applied experience. Of course that doesn't mean you are wrong in your opinion or that you don't have a right share your thoughts, but forgive me if I'm not going to downgrade my excitement about this project, nor the belief that it will turn out well, because of your input.
    This thread is full of diverse opinions

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Again Matt you have a been disproven on your times over and over again not just by me but others. So yes WE keep saying you are wrong.

Check your privilege has nothing to do with skin town, but true to your nature the only way you can reply is via personal attack and taking your grievances across multiple threads.

I find it amazing that you have not been banned from this site for the way you treat people.

I won’t be replying to you any further on this topic for the foreseeable future. Just remember the last word doesn’t make you factually correct.

Peace
    I've encouraged multiple people to just mute Medwards. He adds nothing of substance to these debates and just goes around and around in circles, getting personal when people don't agree with him. No thanks.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Actually Medwards has a provable point

Existing express buses to DT are as fast or faster than the streetcar planned speed. They then get bogged down with too many stops and a circuitous route once they get east of 109th street.

At the same time, express buses don't need barriers and other infrastructure that congests the roads and affect both commuter traffic and normal bus operations.

Just as Trump says that only a wall works, streetcars are not the solution to every transit issue, I wish the COE and ETS made a real effort to improve express routes and install simple and effective measures like bus priority signals.

And fewer of these signs

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I won’t be replying to you any further on this topic for the foreseeable future. Just remember the last word doesn’t make you factually correct.

Peace
    I've encouraged multiple people to just mute Medwards. He adds nothing of substance to these debates and just goes around and around in circles, getting personal when people don't agree with him. No thanks.
    Oh you, you just can't stand that not everyone agrees with you, and that I offer a different opinion to you. I know, it's easier to ignore than to stand up for what you believe in. Carry on, as you were. For everyone one that blocks me, I have an equal or better number of people telling me that they appreciate my postings, and encourage me not to give up to the shameless boosters and cheer-leading squad.

EDP vs Medwards

another funny
    Accidents are a ligit concern, but accidents happen on the existing lrt as well. We can grade separate it but people and things still find their way onto the track.

Cats and dogs on the sky train track, people being pushed off platforms onto railway tracks and a... pet of some sort on the NY subway just to name a few high profile ones off the top of my head.

But non of this is unique to transportation anytime you have moving parts you will have breakdowns in the system of one sort or another.
    Oh look, he's still thinking I'm calling for the line to be grade separated in full. I've never once called for that. Yes, I've called for certain intersections to be grade separated, but that's it. Annnnnd hey... look at what they are doing for the NW line... EXACTLY what I've been calling for. Seems the transportation folks are finally cluing in. Maybe EDP will in a few years too. Tihs isn't a low floor/high floor thing. This isn't asking for a subway to beaumont. I've asked for the intersection at whyte avenue to be grade separated to resolve points of conflict that are sure to come up. Yes, some things are completely unavoidable, and still things will happen no matter what we do, but we can still mitigate many issues, and make transit a viable choice for most Edmontonians, rather than the few that are FORCED to take it because they have no other choice, and hey, if we make it something more desirable for everyone, EVERYONE wins.

But EDP just wants make up points that I'm not even asking for and pretend like I have. He'll then tell everyone here that he is no longer going to respond to me, and then indirectly respond to me via the above? How friggen childish.

Actually Medwards has a provable point

Existing express buses to DT are as fast or faster than the streetcar planned speed. They then get bogged down with too many stops and a circuitous route once they get east of 109th street.

At the same time, express buses don't need barriers and other infrastructure that congests the roads and affect both commuter traffic and normal bus operations.

Just as Trump says that only a wall works, streetcars are not the solution to every transit issue, I wish the COE and ETS made a real effort to improve express routes and install simple and effective measures like bus priority signals.

We already have some of this, but a lot more would be great, and a cheap but very effective solution to make our transit system better.

EDP vs Medwards

another funny

Oh look, he's still thinking I'm calling for the line to be grade separated in full. I've never once called for that. Yes, I've called for certain intersections to be grade separated, but that's it. Annnnnd hey... look at what they are doing for the NW line... EXACTLY what I've been calling for. Seems the transportation folks are finally cluing in. Maybe EDP will in a few years too. Tihs isn't a low floor/high floor thing. This isn't asking for a subway to beaumont. I've asked for the intersection at whyte avenue to be grade separated to resolve points of conflict that are sure to come up. Yes, some things are completely unavoidable, and still things will happen no matter what we do, but we can still mitigate many issues, and make transit a viable choice for most Edmontonians, rather than the few that are FORCED to take it because they have no other choice, and hey, if we make it something more desirable for everyone, EVERYONE wins.

But EDP just wants make up points that I'm not even asking for and pretend like I have. He'll then tell everyone here that he is no longer going to respond to me, and then indirectly respond to me via the above? How friggen childish.
    Um i didnít say you were calling for that. I said even if we did.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

This is certainly true as the 2600+ prior opinions expressed in this thread (and others) going back over a decade certainly attest.

I initially joined C2E as one way to participate in this discussion because of my passionate belief that the City was making a series of bad decisions about LRT system design. I felt strongly enough about it that I - and others - participated in the Council hearings when these decisions were being made ultimately ending up on the losing side of the argument.

I even started a blog laying out my arguments and alternatives (rapidtransitforedmonton.org), only taking it down after it became apparent that the City's decision to go more Portland instead of more Vancouver on future LRT expansion was beyond the point of no return.

These discussions will no doubt continue as Valley Line construction continues and the line eventually opens. In participating in these discussions, I will try to do so with respect for the opinions of others including those of EDP.

EDP vs Medwards

another funny

Um i didnít say you were calling for that. I said even if we did.
    So what are you saying? Outside of trying to stifle conversation, and sticking your fingers in your ears, and cheerleading the city as they make yet another LRT boondongle ... what exactly are you trying to say? That we shouldn't try to remove points of conflict?

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    This is certainly true as the 2600+ prior opinions expressed in this thread (and others) going back over a decade certainly attest.

I initially joined C2E as one way to participate in this discussion because of my passionate belief that the City was making a series of bad decisions about LRT system design. I felt strongly enough about it that I - and others - participated in the Council hearings when these decisions were being made ultimately ending up on the losing side of the argument.

I even started a blog laying out my arguments and alternatives (rapidtransitforedmonton.org), only taking it down after it became apparent that the City's decision to go more Portland instead of more Vancouver on future LRT expansion was beyond the point of no return.

These discussions will no doubt continue as Valley Line construction continues and the line eventually opens. In participating in these discussions, I will try to do so with respect for the opinions of others including those of EDP.
    Thanks There are many ways forward for sure!!!

Portland isnít a fair comparison though. They have a team that runs with cars in the same lane, ours will be separate. More like Paris.

Great article. Regardless of what you believe.

http://transitcenter.org/2016/07/07/...re-hyper-cool/

I wonít be replying to you any further on this topic for the foreseeable future. Just remember the last word doesnít make you factually correct.

Peace
    Oh you, you just can't stand that not everyone agrees with you, and that I offer a different opinion to you. I know, it's easier to ignore than to stand up for what you believe in. Carry on, as you were. For everyone one that blocks me, I have an equal or better number of people telling me that they appreciate my postings, and encourage me not to give up to the shameless boosters and cheer-leading squad.
    GFM also told people to mute me im begining to wonder if he has everyone muted

im not gonna lie i missed the EDP vs medwards fights

EDP comes to the fight, unarmed...

I generally dislike BRT because the concept gets watered down over time until it basically becomes an express service. LRT shows a certain level of commitment to providing quality transit service.

To be very honest, the midsize cities could very well function without rail transit at all. Winnipeg is chugging along with their bit of BRT that opened a few years back. Even Ottawa didn't really need the Confederation line - the downtown BRT corridor could have been beefed up instead.

Any and all comparisons to the US are an exercise in futility - our systems are a smashing success in comparison to the money pits most of theirs seem to be.

On a separate note, I attended a transportation conference recently and the consensus was that the LRT industry is the hottest it has ever been. Valley Line West is competing for attention with Calgary's Green Line, Ottawa's Confederation Line and the Hamilton LRT, and if the Surrey LRT hadn't been cancelled it would have been a matter of industry resources limiting progress rather than funding, which is amazing.

And that is just in Canada. Look at what is happening world wide!

EDP comes to the fight, unarmed...

What does this have to do with anything?!
    Come one PRT donít be a Matt

but true to your nature the only way you can reply is via personal attack and taking your grievances across multiple threads.

Peace

What does this have to do with anything?!
    Come one PRT don’t be a Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Foolworm View Post

On a separate note, I attended a transportation conference recently and the consensus was that the LRT industry is the hottest it has ever been. Valley Line West is competing for attention with Calgary's Green Line, Ottawa's Confederation Line and the Hamilton LRT, and if the Surrey LRT hadn't been cancelled it would have been a matter of industry resources limiting progress rather than funding, which is amazing.
    Proper LRT is definitely the way to go

Calgary Green Line: Grade Separation where required, stops get further apart as you get out to core
    Ottawa: Full grade separation
    Hamilton: pretty similar to Edmonton - also designed by Steer Davies Gleave
    Surrey LRT: Cancelled because they are going to extend Skytrain instead, which is ALRT fully automated, fully grade separated...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I like Calgary's green line and Coquitlam's Evergreen line. Both cool LRT projects.

I was lucky though to have grown up in Coquitlam before it got too expensive 1955-1973

Surrey LRT was cancelled because they wanted to connect to a different regional centre and maintain the LRT route but use existing express buses instead of upgrading and building a transit ROW. Not to mention the SkyTrain extension is half of what is proposed due to funding. While an LRT of twice the length connecting 3 City centres was already planned and funded and had ridership numbers to support it. FYI.

Proper transit is the way to go.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not to be confused with the Tri Cities of course; New Westminster, Burnaby, Coquitlam. Aka, the lower mainland.

I'm not up to speed on the Surrey project. Was it supposed to go through South Surrey (Crescent beach) area?

Eventually. After BRT was in place for a while.

Not to de-rail the thread, but as a quick aside:

LRT with own ROW 11 stops (10.5km): Newton TC - Downtown Surrey - Guilford TC. Something like under $2 billion with maintenance yard and new cars.

Switched to proposed 17km extension of existing Expo line from Downtown Surrey to Downtown Langley. Only existing funding available which results in:

SkyTrain with own ROW 4 stops (7km): Downtown Surrey - Fleetwood TC - Surrey Rec. Centre

Gives you an idea on costs, however, and what system you want for what purpose. The 2 systems in Surrey served different purposes. Different riderships.

And that is just in Canada. Look at what is happening world wide!
    The global market for rail is actually quite depressed. Asia is slowing down, as is Europe (with the exception of the UK, and even then Brexit will put a stop to that). The Chinese monopolise African rail projects, and the US is badly underperforming, as is South America. Pretty much only Canada and Australia have any sorts of ambitious plans for rail right now.

Proper LRT is definitely the way to go

Calgary Green Line: Grade Separation where required, stops get further apart as you get out to core
    Ottawa: Full grade separation
    Hamilton: pretty similar to Edmonton - also designed by Steer Davies Gleave
    Surrey LRT: Cancelled because they are going to extend Skytrain instead, which is ALRT fully automated, fully grade separated...
    Pardon the pun, but Calgary has me green with envy at the scope and scale of their plans. Phase 1 of the Green line is basically equivalent to building the entire Capital line in one shot, while costing as much as both phases of Valley Line combined.

Ditto for Ottawa, whose Stage 2 LRT is even more ambitious. Granted, most of it is built in their greenbelt but it's still a huge undertaking.

By comparison, Edmonton's ask is fairly modest. Perhaps we should have thrown in the south extension as well... Certainly the whole issue the Century Park parking has created a 'missing link' in the transit system.

C2E SME

Can they stage the project to get 2 to 4 stations opened while still continuously working on the project. Starting from downtown have one conractor do all site prep going towards the end of the line, as each section or block is ready the next contractor lays all utility work, then next track bed and stations, etc... Instead of deploying everyone everywhere (unless ther have an army of workers and equipment) delpoy systematically along the line.

They are not going the staging route, according to what I'm hearing. Out to tender this spring with construction to start in 2020.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Can they stage the project to get 2 to 4 stations opened while still continuously working on the project. Starting from downtown have one conractor do all site prep going towards the end of the line, as each section or block is ready the next contractor lays all utility work, then next track bed and stations, etc... Instead of deploying everyone everywhere (unless ther have an army of workers and equipment) delpoy systematically along the line.
    Waaaayyyy too logical.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^ I think the main problem for staging it in this fashion is that the depot by Whitemud isn't large enough for more than what is currently being built. There will be another one on the west side for additional trains, but that of course won't be accessible until line is almost fully build to Lewis Farms. This seems like a surmountable problem to me as well, but that is the reason that has been given to me in the past.

Are you sure about the depot in the west? I thought the idea was to expand the one at Whitemud to accommodate the extra trains.
    ďCanada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,Ē-Marshall McLuhan

^ I'm not a hundred percent sure, no. This is what I was told a while ago by Andrew Knack. It would seem strange if they expanded a depot shortly after it finished construction. I think the preference is to spread them out geographically, so a west end depot would make sense.

Not sure the actual plans, but for morning and late night service - depots at either end make sense.
    ... gobsmacked

It's not an uncommon occurrence when a line ends up being built in back-to-back phases, especially if funding commitments aren't certain. For instance, Ottawa's Belfast yard will be expanded for their Stage 2 expansion even though a new facility is planned past the future west terminus at Moody drive.

On the other hand, staging construction so that operations begin piecemeal is generally not ideal. It's the same reason you don't see roads being built and opened intersection by intersection.
    Last edited by Foolworm; 13-02-2019 at 02:14 PM.

C2E SME

Well it doesn't have to be station to station, but for example the first stage could be to 124 st., then the next could be to 142 or 149, then last to lewis estate to finish it off. I'm not saying to finish a whole section then start again but if there is enough labourers to have destinct groups, prep team, utilities team, track bed team, track team, cantenary team and seperate teams for bridge and stations. First team would start, then second team deploys as soon as they can access the recently vacated site, etc, etc.

C2E Long Term Contributor

The main issue with staged implementations is that it will take much longer to do (4 years will now take 4 decades), and likely cost a lot more due to inflation and other factors.
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627