Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IHOP Opens in Former White Spot Calgary Trail location

Addicted to C2E

Thumbs up Best in a long long time!

I'll start by saying that I almost never eat breakfast at home ...I enjoy the food at JAYBEES on 118 ave and the ZODIAC on argyle and on occasion the COMMODORE on Jasper ave .
    So the other morning for something different I went to this new IHOP...
    It was without a doubt the best breakfast I've had in YEARS!.
    I NEVER eat hash browns ,they are in most places ( other than those previously mentioned) a disgusting pile of half cooked old potatoes dripping in what can only be described as grill slop, but the hash browns at IHOP were unbelievable!I have no idea why but they were awsome!
    The rest of my order was just as tasty and god help you if you want to lose some weight in this place lol
    My last experience with IHOP was in L.A county and a friend of mine who never eats anything sweet ordered french toast buried in icing and whipped cream lol well he tried to man up and finish it but couldn't do it lol
    Great place , decent service, reasonable prices ,fun menue selections....all I can add is I hope they open more locations soon !

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If it's not already been mentioned, Sherwood Park is the next location I believe.

First One is Always Free

IHOP rocks! And kids eat free at certain times, i believe.

C2E SME

I expect to see at least 6 IHOP's throughout the capital region popping up over the next couple years.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

A central location, hopefully.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

Smile iHop: Anyone been there?

Hey, I am there right now! Woohoo
    The wait is unreal! Been here since 12 noon ANC we just got our food!

Anyone else?
    make America GREAT TRUMP!

I know people that love it (south side location). Must be popular.

It was in the the west end for years and it always appeared dead.

What's the food like?
    Edmonton: Capital of Canada's Bold West!

The southside the first location in Edmonton!

We waited for about 1 little over 1 hour to be seated, then another hour before we got our food. Its extremely busy. Entered the place at noon, started to eat at 2!

Had breakfast. Pancakes were good, nice and fluffy with bananas and strawberries. The syrup was really good! Eggs were nice and the bacon was crisp, not greasy.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Just as with most breakfast places, get there early!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Are the prices like the IHOPs in the US ie. dirt cheap?

Partially Addicted to C2E

Good to see. I never cared for Whitespot and the few times I have been to IHOP (in BC), the food has been great.

Addicted to C2E

Default 2 times, and both...

Went there again , on a sunday ( I know duh ? ) It was VERY busy ...why?
    BECAUSE IT'S AWSOME and DELICIOUS!

C2E SME

I really like the food there and intend to go back some time soon.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Went to IHOP for breaky just after 9 AM and it was a 20 min wait for a table for 2. By 10:30 AM I heard the wait for a 2-seater was 45 minutes! Part of the reason is that there are several parties of 10+.

As for the food itself, it was alright for what I expected from a breaky chain. Most of them can't get eggs cooked over-medium right, but unlike Dennys, IHOP doesn't burn them. Coffee was weak.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Went to IHOP for breaky just after 9 AM and it was a 20 min wait for a table for 2. By 10:30 AM I heard the wait for a 2-seater was 45 minutes! Part of the reason is that there are several parties of 10+.

As for the food itself, it was alright for what I expected from a breaky chain. Most of them can't get eggs cooked over-medium right, but unlike Dennys, IHOP doesn't burn them. Coffee was weak.
    Once IHOP opens a couple of other locations around town it should alleviate the crush. Also there is still the its "New" or "Novelty" factor.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Wait in line that long for ihop... Ha
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'm curious as to the appeal of IHOP. Is it the menu, prices, quantity, quality, atmosphere?

I like having my eggs done properly and since I don't often eat out for brunch or breakfast I would prefer a memorable experience with quality ingredients and skillful preparation at an establishment such as Culinas. I guess like Ian, standing in line for 20+ minutes for an average meal is not very appealing.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E Bandwidth Hog

For me, I was up early this morning and thought, what da hell let's try it. I suppose for me it was the novelty factor because I haven't been to an IHOP in many years and only when I was in the States. To be honest, it's really no different from eating breakfast at a Dennys or Smittys, although they have a wider choice of pancakes. But if all you want is your eggs, bacon, pancakes and coffee, it's not really worth the 30 minute wait for a table.

^Not trying to belittle the IHOP experience, it's good to see their business is thriving. Just wondering if I should try it myself. Probably will once more locations open up.

Exactly. I can understand the nostalgia of it from us vacations, but never thought it was that amazing, especially with a wait and given the options out there.
    www.decl.org

Generally speaking my favorite road trip eating experiences have been in the local one off dining places. That said, the one chain restaurant that I harbor a longing for is Carrabba's Italian Grill.

Diners drive-ins and dives...
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Diners drive-ins and dives...
    I love that show.

Man vs Food is another good one

I'll take IHOP over Cora anytime. I want a masculine, fruit-free breakfast consisting of a big greasy plate of fried eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, toast and coffee.
    Sounds like the type of breakfasts you could get at the old Esso chain of Voyageur Restaurants....Always stopped at either the Edson one heading west into BC or the one in Red Deer along highway 2 south on our family holidays.

It epitomized the big greasy plate of fried eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, toast and coffee you want......sigh. Back in the day when nothing was "bad" for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Man vs Food is another good one
    I am looking forward to the sequel... Man vs his heart
    www.decl.org

March 1 was free pancake day at IHOP, only 3 tables taken at 7am, not including ours.

Contrast free pancake day at Denny's, it's nearly packed at 7am, full by 8am.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    March 1 was free pancake day at IHOP, only 3 tables taken at 7am, not including ours.

Contrast free pancake day at Denny's, it's nearly packed at 7am, full by 8am.
    So your point is that Denny's gives away more food than IHOP ?
    ( guess they'd have to lol )
    PLEASE let me know about these free food deals ahead of time ....

Partially Addicted to C2E

We stopped in this IHOP on the way to the airport for an early flight. I was undewhelmed. The lighting is atrociously bright, decor non-existent, the place was a sprawling cafeteria inspired layout and the food was lame. Very little interesting on the menu, the syrup bottles were encrusted in syrup and only had 3 boring flavours per table. The sausagues were petit and flabby and the pancakes full of air. Not the place for me.

yay someone agrees with me haha i hate the place or don't see the fuss about it

Default Oxford Park Landing

125344709-011
    30-Jan-2014
    15134 - 127 STREET NW
    Plan 0625614 Blk 16 Lot 5

To construct interior alteration for a Restaurant (I-Hop) 194 Seats

I love iHop! I like 3 syrups only, to much choice is bad, nice fluffy pancakes and sausages!!!

WOOHOO

^^
    Thanks Sonic, you reminded me that I need to make a thread about the buildings being built at Oxford Park Landing.. I referenced your post in the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    ^^
    Thanks Sonic, you reminded me that I need to make a thread about the buildings being built at Oxford Park Landing.. I referenced your post in the thread
    I saw this new development couple weeks ago, but didn't want to open a new thread Glad that you did it

C2E Bandwidth Hog

IHOP expands to NW and west end, examining potential downtown and east end locations
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...025/story.html

YAY!! NW Edmonton, I was getting sick of everything opening West End/Southside.

Call it a guilty pleasure, but I really like IHOP, glad one is planned to open in the west end.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

One centrally would be nice. Maybe in the Quarters near new hotel or possibly in Oliver Square where that old steakhouse was. Whatever was happening there seems stalled.

Job No 222147624-001
    Description: To install (3) Fascia On-premises Signs (IHOP).
    Plan 1420266 Blk 1 Lot 36
    Applicant: PERMIT SOLUTIONS INC
    Create Date: 5/19/2016 8:23:56 AM

C2E Bandwidth Hog

IHOP is one of my guilty pleasures so I wouldn't mind seeing one in or near the downtown core. Come to think of it, downtown also needs a Cora.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Aaaand thanks to the power of suggestion, guess where I ended up going for breaky this morning? The Calgary Trail location is still busy but no insane lineup when they first opened. Not the best place in the city to go for the most important meal of the day, but it's still good for what it is.

Aaaand thanks to the power of suggestion, guess where I ended up going for breaky this morning? The Calgary Trail location is still busy but no insane lineup when they first opened. Not the best place in the city to go for the most important meal of the day, but it's still good for what it is.
    Just got back from there not long ago, wasn't too busy when we got there, but the lobby was very full once we left.

Happy to see one opening in the west end though.

Most of the times I've been at IHOP it's been busy, never understood why, to me it is equivalent to Denny's. I just wish they'd open some Perkin's here, good alternative to Denny's or IHOP. Smitty's at one time would have been equivalent but their standards have dropped to Humpty's level.

^its a little cheaper I think than Denny's, but yeah, they are similar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12