Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IHOP Opens in Former White Spot Calgary Trail location

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default IHOP Opens in Former White Spot Calgary Trail location

I drove past the White Spot at Southpark Centre on the Calgary Trail this afternoon and noticed that it had closed the signs and awnings are gone and it's vacant.

Not a total suprise, Went there once,The food was below average and the service was deplorable especially compared to the BC locations.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    I drove past the White Spot at Southpark Centre on the Calgary Trail this afternoon and noticed that it had closed the signs and awnings are gone and it's vacant.

Not a total suprise, Went there once,The food was below average and the service was deplorable especially compared to the BC locations.
    The only one left, I believe which is pretty decent is in Leduc.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I also went there once. it was pretty average but the plus side was it was empty so it was nice watching the oilers game in peace.

Hah, I only went there once as well.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Another attempted BC food transplant hits the dust.

Previously: Benny's Bagels.

Next up: Milestones.

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post

Isn't that a tad negative? thee is nothing wrong with BC Chains.....Earls, Cactus Club, they are based in BC (though the Fuller Family got their start here in Edmonton.)

Maybe there is the possibility that they may open a White Spot in a better location ? I had always thought that location sucked as unless you were looking for it specifically you would miss it among the clutter of that strip centre.

Though location isn't everything the service bit the big one, The only time we were in there (mid-afternoon on a weekday) it took 5 minutes to seat us, 10 minutes for our order to be taken, and when it came time to pay we had to hunt down someone to take our $$$. We could have walked out easily, other patrons had to make an effort to pay as well and at the time they maybe had a total of 6 tables occupied.

They do have a Triple O's by WhiteSpot location at the Royal Alex in the food court which is just burgers etc. I loved the location on Thurlow in Van since it was around the corner from my condo.

The website still lists Leduc, and Barlow, Macleod in Cowtown.
    Last edited by NielCole; 20-07-2010 at 09:02 PM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Used to hit up the Whitespot on lougheed and gilmore in burnaby.... this spot here was not even close.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

In Guantanamo (Banned)

If these chains seem to work elsewhere yet fail in Edmonton it says more about Edmonton than it does about the outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by andy8244 View Post
    If these chains seem to work elsewhere yet fail in Edmonton it says more about Edmonton than it does about the outfits.
    Not really. It all depends on who runs the franchise. Sometimes when the corporate office is in a different province, things go sideways. I've seen Alberta-based franchises fail in B.C. too.

Addicted to C2E

What it says about Edmontonians is that even we won't eat crappy food.
    BobinEdmonton

I went once, only because we were on our way home from camping and we decided on a place that looked as greasy and hungover as we were, and Denny's was just too nice.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Well.... then, look for an IHOP coming soon to a vacated White Spot near you.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^Fat guys in stained t-shirts all over E-town just squealed in glee.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

haha, Chmilz, now you're going to the get the PC police after you. again. Oh you know which demographic you offended.

Why is it always t-shirts that are stained? The Hoodie and Sweatshirt Consortium have been fighting for equal say in what garment gets soiled at the dining table for years.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

As long as we can all agree that sweatpants with suspenders are the pant of choice for waffle connoisseurs.

you're going to the get the PC police after you. again. Oh you know which demographic you offended
    I'm not concerned. That demographic is easily winded and won't be able to catch me.
    Last edited by Chmilz; 21-07-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

White Spot in BC is way better then any of the White Spots in Alberta by far.. wont be missed by me.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Used to hit up the Whitespot on lougheed and gilmore in burnaby.... this spot here was not even close.
    We used to eat in several including the one you mentioned all were really good. our favourite was either the Cambie St or the one on Georgia towards the park great patio. and I agree this one on a scale of 1 - 10 was a 2

Quote Originally Posted by bobinedmonton View Post

What it says about Edmontonians is that even we won't eat crappy food.

the food isn't crappy in the other locations it was more the service here than anything.

Went once to that location feeling all nostalgic for the Triple O burger and you got it, the service and food were absolutely horrible. Went with another ex-Vancouverite and they also decided never to darken the door again.

On the other hand, may do a fly past of the Royal Alex to see how those Triple Os are...
    Last edited by PJC; 22-07-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
    Went once to that location feeling all nostalgic for the Triple O burger and you got the service and food were absolutely horrible. Went with another ex-Vancouverite and they also decided never to darken the door again.

On the other hand, may do a fly past of the Royal Alex to see how those Triple Os are...
    Suprisingly for a Food Court Triple O"S the burger was really good...

I never noticed a difference in the food quality from the Alberta White Spots compared to BC ones, but service was way better in BC, amazing how high unemployment can influence job satisfaction.

There are a couple still in Calgary and a Triple O's in Cranbrook.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

lol at everyone seeming to only eat there once. guess it was bound to fail then.

^ Yeah, eating there once is what happens when the food and service suck...

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    I never noticed a difference in the food quality from the Alberta White Spots compared to BC ones, but service was way better in BC, amazing how high unemployment can influence job satisfaction.

There are a couple still in Calgary and a Triple O's in Cranbrook.
    Re read some previous posts... Triple O has a location at the RAH and White Spot is still in Leduc.

Used to have meetings there once a quarter for my previous employer. You could shoot a cannon thru the restaurant and only mame a couple of servers.

The food was okay, but the place is really bland. With absolutely no marketing, and no catch theme, the place was doomed to fail. Couple that with a lousy location most people just drive by going north/south, and ignore it.

Milestones, on the other hand, is very hip, has much better food (albeit at a significantly higher price - thank goodness for the date night promo) and is a much, much better location.

Both of those brands are owned by the same company, as well as Boston Pizza, Montanas, Kelseys, and Moxies. White Spot is clearly lacking in visability out of the whole group.

I wish De Dutch from Van would come to Edmonton.

Is the one in Calgary still open?
    www.decl.org

I am wondering why Red Robin is in Edmonton but moved/closed out of Calgary years ago?
    Time will tell on this new Alberta Government.

Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
    Used to have meetings there once a quarter for my previous employer. You could shoot a cannon thru the restaurant and only mame a couple of servers.

The food was okay, but the place is really bland. With absolutely no marketing, and no catch theme, the place was doomed to fail. Couple that with a lousy location most people just drive by going north/south, and ignore it.

Milestones, on the other hand, is very hip, has much better food (albeit at a significantly higher price - thank goodness for the date night promo) and is a much, much better location.

Both of those brands are owned by the same company, as well as Boston Pizza, Montanas, Kelseys, and Moxies. White Spot is clearly lacking in visability out of the whole group.
    Looked on the Website, states nothing about being part of a group, Having lived in Vancouver for around 15 years always heard that it was a local Vancouver company, lists the Head Office on SE Marine Drive in Vancouver.

PS the spelling is "maim" Mame was a musical starring Bea Arthur and Lucille Ball.....

Checked the Cara Food Services Website
    They own Swiss Chalet, Milestones, Montanas. Kelseys, Harveys,Coza they do not own White Spot, Moxies, or Boston Pizza.....
    Last edited by NielCole; 22-07-2010 at 11:27 PM.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Back in the late seventies and early eighties there was a series of steak-houses in southern Aberta called "White spot", but the logo was different from the Vancouver White-spots, and the level was more like Milestones or Earls -- or even more upscale than that.

I've always wondered whether that was a separate Alberta chain or whether it was somehow linked to the one in BC. Does anyone know?

I do remember one of those White spots in Calgary on 16th Ave NW, I'm guessing they were a different company.

And yup I knew about the Royal Alex Triple O, haven't been there because I'm a cheap ****** and don't wish to pay for parking, and haven't had anybody close in the hospital. And the Leduc one I go to occasionally, service is good compared to most Edmonton restaurants, but not as good as BC.

They have a good hot turkey, hot beef dinners too.

Back in the late seventies and early eighties there was a series of steak-houses in southern Aberta called "White spot", but the logo was different from the Vancouver White-spots, and the level was more like Milestones or Earls -- or even more upscale than that.

I've always wondered whether that was a separate Alberta chain or whether it was somehow linked to the one in BC. Does anyone know?
    Separate chain since the BC White Spot wasn't here at the time. FYI the bar on the corner of Jasper and 116th was a White Spot once as well, they used to grill steaks in the window where the main entrance is now.

Default White Spot in Edmonton

I admit I'm a huge White Spot fan... I spoke to someone high up in the company and they agree that they made a bad choice in location but are planning to get back into the market soon - I sure hope so!

They've opened a bunch of new restaurants in BC lately and while I don't get back to BC that often, the other Alberta (Calgary & Leduc) locations are good. Looking forward to getting some fresh blueberry pie this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by FoodGirl View Post
    I admit I'm a huge White Spot fan... I spoke to someone high up in the company and they agree that they made a bad choice in location but are planning to get back into the market soon - I sure hope so!

They've opened a bunch of new restaurants in BC lately and while I don't get back to BC that often, the other Alberta (Calgary & Leduc) locations are good. Looking forward to getting some fresh blueberry pie this weekend
    Even with the location being "bad" the service was lousy, very slow and indifferent, That location can only be blamed to a certain extent

do they have triple o's in edmonton? they are popping up in BC a lot more these days - hong kong and other asia locations are opening up... they just sell white spot burgers and they are a little pricey but really good

The only one i'm aware of in Edmonton is in the food court at the Royal Alex.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Ihop is indeed moving into this location. There's a Opening Soon sign on the street and the awnings are starting to go up for it.

I never liked that white goop that White Spot blobbed on their burgers. IHOP coming in? They don't turn my crank, either.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I think IHOP will be a better fit in that building than White Spot being located as it is in the middle of that strip mall complex.
    I could never figure out why White Spot opened there in the first place. Very poor location visibility wise for them.

I think it was at about the time that White Spot went in, the area was in a bit of an economic dip. The then nearby Canadian Tire, of which only the gas station remains, seemed to either have just closed down or was in the throes of doing so, and the long empty space between Zellers and Toys'R'Us (apart from that one little store - computer? dollar store?) plus the wide open space of the parking lot, made the whole area look like an urban wasteland. Even with the current facelifting going on, it still has an air of 'forgotten-ness' about it. Maybe IHOP will help pull it around.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

IHOP should do alright since it will be the only location in Edmonton. I wouldn't say Cora on the southside is in a great location either, but it certainly does well.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    IHOP should do alright since it will be the only location in Edmonton. I wouldn't say Cora on the southside is in a great location either, but it certainly does well.
    Cora's has a fantastic word of mouth reputaion so location isn't really an issue for them. People will go out of their way to hit Cora's regardless of location IHOP is rather box standard.

C2E SME

It's good to see IHOP moving into town. One more option for breakfast that should be pretty good.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I'm excited to get an IHOP int own. I think it will do well. I went to that White Spot only one time. It's so big in BC, but nobody ever mentioned it here.

IHOP is kinda gross - for their name being based on pancakes the pancakes are pretty bad - the food is so greasy too

IHOP is OK for cheap chain breakfast in the same vein as Denny's, Smittys and Alberts.

I had no idea they were even in Canada. According to their website, the nearest one to Edmonton is Kelowna, and there's 10 locations in the Lower Mainland.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

I've been to the IHOP in the Vancouver area a few times, and they were okay.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

I'm excited for IHOP. I've ate at the ones in the US and they are great so hopefully the quality will continue up here.

I'm sure there was one here somewhere around 100 Ave/178 St. Long while ago, so I could be off somewhat on that location. As far as the food went, totally unimpressed.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Howie me thinks you are right!

I do seem to remember that when they built the Comfort Inn just east of the Mcdonalds on 100 ave at 178th it had an IHOP originally. I believe it's and Uncle Alberts now (I may be wrong)

For IHOP to compete with the existing chains such as local fave Uncle Alberts, Dennys , independents such as Haps on SPR, and the very popular newcomer from Quebec Cora's they will have to be more than just another breakfast place with a brandname over the door.

Great news about IHOP. Anytime I am in the USA with my wife she enjoys the Fresh And Fruity Rooty Tooty - or the Pumpkin Spiced Pancakes.

It's good for breakfast/brunch. Much better than I've had at Denny's before.

If they open up a couple more locations, Alberts might even need to watch out!

^ For sure they'll have updated their menu to more current tastes since I last visited an IHOP (see my post above), but they're going to have to go some to beat out Cora's.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    ^ For sure they'll have updated their menu to more current tastes since I last visited an IHOP (see my post above), but they're going to have to go some to beat out Cora's.
    I think at the present time for breakfasts Cora's will have to be the one to beat. since that is all they do .

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    IHOP is OK for cheap chain breakfast in the same vein as Denny's, Smittys and Alberts.

I had no idea they were even in Canada. According to their website, the nearest one to Edmonton is Kelowna, and there's 10 locations in the Lower Mainland.
    From what I understand, the group that is behind the IHOP on Calgary Trail intend on opening half a dozen (or so) locations in Alberta and Saskatchewan in fairly short order.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Howie me thinks you are right!

I do seem to remember that when they built the Comfort Inn just east of the Mcdonalds on 100 ave at 178th it had an IHOP originally. I believe it's and Uncle Alberts now (I may be wrong)

For IHOP to compete with the existing chains such as local fave Uncle Alberts, Dennys , independents such as Haps on SPR, and the very popular newcomer from Quebec Cora's they will have to be more than just another breakfast place with a brandname over the door.
    Indeed it was an IHOP. Didn't survive.

its weird how some things survive in some places and not others - TGIF tanked in vancouver - as would red lobsterall don't do well in vancouver - they try to the suburbs and do okay there are some olive gardens and east side marios, montanas, etc. most chains like that are not in the city itself - harveys basically ends at the alberta border - there are no stand alones and only a handful of them inside home depot stores and at the airport in vancouver - i love harveys used to like going there in ontario and only a few swiss chalets which are not as popular as nandos is

do they have nandos in edmonton?

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    its weird how some things survive in some places and not others - TGIF tanked in vancouver - as would red lobsterall don't do well in vancouver - they try to the suburbs and do okay there are some olive gardens and east side marios, montanas, etc. most chains like that are not in the city itself - harveys basically ends at the alberta border - there are no stand alones and only a handful of them inside home depot stores and at the airport in vancouver - i love harveys used to like going there in ontario and only a few swiss chalets which are not as popular as nandos is

None that I know of. I have seen them in Toronto. And your right about alot of chains in Edmonton not being in Vancouver I don't think there are any Applebees either.

The biggest chain absence I've noticed in Vancouver is Second Cup.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

No, they don't have Nando's in Edmonton, but I believe there's one in Calgary.

Vancouver's got a bunch of Nando's, though. I used to go to one one of those Nando's for those incredibly spicy chicken sandwiches when my brother used to live in Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Actually, there are a handful across Metro Vancouver. But just nowhere near as many as Blenz. I know I've seen a Second Cup in Richmond Centre a couple of years ago.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Second Cup locations:
    3 in Vancouver
    1 in Langley (on their map it shows up just outside Calgary!)
    1 in Richmond
    1 in South Surrey

Compared to 37 locations in Edmonton, and 33 in Calgary (plus locations in Banff, Leduc, Red Deer, Rockey View, Sherwood Park, Spruce Grove and St. Albert), it's pretty clear that the chain has very little impact in BC (they also have 1 location in Kelowna).

Another chain with few locations in BC is Swiss Chalet. They only have 9 locations in BC, while we have 7 in Edmonton, 10 in Calgary, plus 1 location each in Sherwood Park, Lethbridge and St. Albert.

Both of those places are owned by Cara Foods (no, BC doesn't have many Harvey's locations either - 5 in the province compared to 15 split between Edmonton and Calgary in Alberta).

Apparently I feel like doing research today

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

No, they don't have Nando's in Edmonton, but I believe there's one in Calgary.

Vancouver's got a bunch of Nando's, though. I used to go to one one of those Nando's for those incredibly spicy chicken sandwiches when my brother used to live in Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Actually, there are a handful across Metro Vancouver. But just nowhere near as many as Blenz. I know I've seen a Second Cup in Richmond Centre a couple of years ago.
    Starbucks has a lockdown on Vancouver from my old apartment at Burrard and Smythe within a 10 minute walk you could hit 15 Starbucks.

I've really noticed from my travels that Alberta is really big on chains more than Vancouver and Toronto. Wish we had more good local restaurants like in those cities.

I always found Blenz Coffee as bad as Timothy's...
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    I always found Blenz Coffee as bad as Timothy's...
    Myself never warmed to Blenz, Second Cup or Timothys...Starbucks and if i'm "slumming" LOL Tim Hortons......

yah starbucks rules here - but waves, blenz and cafe d'artigiano also have a lot of spots and jj bean is really spreading now - there new location on alberni is really nice

To my recollection, there was a JJBean in Kingsway Garden Mall. Long gone now, and I can't think of any other one in Edmonton.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

EDMONTON — Alberta’s first IHOP restaurant hasn’t even opened its doors in Edmonton, but the anticipation is as high as a stack of the U.S. chain’s signature pancakes.

IHOP — International House of Pancakes — will open a 190-seat, 7,000-square-foot eatery Dec. 20 at 3921 Calgary Trail in a former White Spot.

But passersby have noticed the signs and its iconic blue roof and are excitedly Tweeting and e-mailing about IHOP coming to town.

“The comments are ‘IHOP? You’re kidding. Finally,’ ” said John Sikking, vice-president of operations for Lethbridge-based Parkerhouse Holdings, which owns the franchise rights for Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

“We’ve actually had e-mails from people asking when we’re opening and telling us about stories about things like their grandmother and every time they go to the States, they have to stop at IHOP because it’s a tradition.

“There’s name recognition from when people go down to the U.S.”
    Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/First...#ixzz17kOOM6iT

I'm changing the title of this thread to reflect its current status!
    Almost always open to debate...

IHOP is set to open dec 20
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

just in time for boxing day pancakes

The Journal got it wrong. See posts 49 and 50.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

meh

call me when we get a De Dutch
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

Default I cant wait!

IHOP!
    Yes , Finally ! ....
    Really it's just allright but I'm really glad that they are offering some competition in the market of sloppy pancakes and sugar!
    Is it just me or has anybody else noticed a trend towards lines at breakfast/brunch eateries.Seems that folks are keen on eating the best meal of the day in public again!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    meh

call me when we get a De Dutch
    IHOP is still head and shoulders about Smitty's or Albert's. Edmonton's been a pancake gulag for too long.

That being said, I'd welcome a De Dutch with open arms. (Several of them even.)

i've never liked de dutch - i've never had good food - only been around dinner or late lunch time so never tried the breakfast offerings which don't seem that special

I was in Southpark this afternoon and noticed the Ihop opened and it looked extremely busy. Not surprised.

Has anyone had a chance to eat there yet? How's the food?

C2E SME

One place where IHOP won't open - Air Canada Centre!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    I was in Southpark this afternoon and noticed the Ihop opened and it looked extremely busy. Not surprised.

Has anyone had a chance to eat there yet? How's the food?
    I was in there while training was happening Friday. There was absolutely nothing I liked about the joint, except for the part when I left. My prediction: This place makes Denny's look good.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Ummm, okay. Why do you say that?

They banned waffles.

hahaha

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...experts-299328

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    They banned waffles.
    LOL, At first I had no clue what you were talking about... then I watched the National lastnight and they had a story on the waffle thing at AC Centre. Makes sense now.

from the article...

"I didn't mean to cause no trouble."

Someone should tell this guy about double negatives...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Hahaha, I thought exactly the same thing, EDP. Maybe he knows what double-negatives are, and is simply hoping others think he's simply uneducated

Seems a bit odd that he was allowed to enter with a big box of waffles. Guess they don't train their security guards very well.

So is IHOP worth bringing the kids too? Any one been yet?
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonfan View Post
    So is IHOP worth bringing the kids too? Any one been yet?
    Anything's worth checking out once, though I'd personally skip it and go to Cora.

Well I was in Cora last week and was decidedly unimpressed! The 1st time was fine, probably because it was different, but after the last visit I won't be back.

You're right though, IHOP should be worth at least 1 visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonfan View Post
    Well I was in Cora last week and was decidedly unimpressed! The 1st time was fine, probably because it was different, but after the last visit I won't be back.
    How come? What was wrong?

Poor service and badly prepped food. The fruit and veg was all wilted and whatever else I had wasn't very good. There are lots of other options, to lining up for ages to get medicore food etc.

I'll take IHOP over Cora anytime. I want a masculine, fruit-free breakfast consisting of a big greasy plate of fried eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, toast and coffee.

IHOP will be good at one thing providing Denny's competition, they are overpriced for their product. Small appetizer plates for over $10 for example.

^ Come again? Which place is overpriced?

My experience with Cora is quality food, good service and equal prices to what you pay at Denny's.

My experience with iHOP in the USA is acceptable food, acceptable service, and dirt cheap prices.

My experience with Denny's is crap food, crap service and ridiculously priced for what you get.

^Thats why you go to Denny's at 3am after going on a good bender...I suggest you try it.

Haha perhaps I will have to...
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Last time I was at IHOP was in Orange County years ago and felt so gross after I didn't want to go on rides at Disneyland. So that may make my opinion of them a little bias already.

Tried to go on New Years Day at 2pm... thought the rush would be somewhat gone by then... boy was I wrong. Hour wait at that point. I didn't bother, but there were still people pouring in.

^2pm? That's dinner time for their blue-haired target market.

Haha funny enough, didn't know any blue-hairs in there at that time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast