Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    What does Fringe have to do with vacant spaces on Whyte?
    Parking is somewhat of an issue in regards to anything in Old Strathcona for some people. Some individuals also seem to forget about the lots south of Whyte between 104th and 105th Streets. Its also obvious some people hate to walk more than a block even on a street that is mean't to be used as a pedestrians focal point.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I always find meter parking on Whyte Ave east of Gateway Blvd.
    There's also the lot east of Gateway Blvd across from the farmer's market.

Anyway, enough about parking. Are there other prominent empty spaces on Whyte Ave to talk about?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Anyway, enough about parking. Are there other prominent empty spaces on Whyte Ave to talk about?
    City Donair is open, but every time I'm on Whyte it's a prominent empty space. Not to mention ugly as hell inside and a cheap vinyl banner outside.

Edit: Just trollin'
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Hahaha, I love it.

Yeah, it's a bit crazy to think they can afford the (reported) $14,000/month for renting that space when no one is inside eating donairs. It certainly isn't a good use of the space, and I'm a tad annoyed that they covered the interior of a historic building in gaudy tiles. What is it with donair shop = tiles?

Is that the old Megatunes space?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

yup, that's the space. Wonder what they have in the basement - that's a big area.

I would have liked to have seen Hub Cigar move into the Megatunes space c/w iconic sign.

I totally agree with that. I miss the fact they are not on Whyte any more without the old neon sign. It was a landmark store in the heart of the area. Now it seems so forgotton being on Gateway with no vintage sign.

Old and historic compared rather than just rather "dull and plain" on Gateway.

C2E Continued Contributor

HUB Cigar simply couldn't afford the rent on Whyte. Ideally, it would have gone back into the space it originally occupied, where a new building was constructed in the Whyte Avenue tradition (i.e., with sensitivity) by John Day. As for the Megatunes space, it's far too large for an operation like HUB Cigar - it includes a large, developed basement which is acccesible only from inside the store.
    Almost always open to debate...

^ I would argue that the Megatunes space is also too large for a donair pit stop.

And I would agree with you. We'll see how long it lasts there.

Looks like the old Warp 1/Happy Harbor space on 81st Ave now has some bargain clothing outlet. Bulk Barn has opened where Henry's used to be.

Default Whyte Ave Gas station location sees new life

The lot on the corner of Whyte Avenue and 104th street has has sat empty for more than ten years.

An Esso gas station used to occupy the space. It opened in the 1920s, and was a fixture in the area until it was decommissioned and closed in 1998, and the facilities removed.

Read it on Global News: Global Edmonton | Work set to begin on former gas station on Whyte Avenue

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/work...591/story.html
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Huzzah!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Someone should open a Subway on that side of the ave.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

There is no way we need a Subway there, Chmilz, as there are too many on Whyte Ave already. Now, a Donair shop.... THAT would be a welcome addition to the block

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great news. Contamination aside, that's one of the most prime lots in the entire city.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

A nice new car wash or auto dealership would be great, too!

Seriously, I hope this site sees something very special -- probably one of the most primo vacant lots south of the river!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Car wash or auto dealer are in my opinion two of the least desirable things that the lot could be used for, but different strokes I guess.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Sorry -- I thought the string of sarcasm in prior posts plus the added emoticon would make it more obvious that I was joking. I'd get rid of all the auto-dealers and car washes from Whyte if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    The lot on the corner of Whyte Avenue and 104th street has has sat empty for more than ten years.

An Esso gas station used to occupy the space. It opened in the 1920s, and was a fixture in the area until it was decommissioned and closed in 1998, and the facilities removed.

Read it on Global News: Global Edmonton | Work set to begin on former gas station on Whyte Avenue

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/work...591/story.html
    Finally! as I mentioned sometime earlier it's seems the former Esso site has sat empty forever (10 years) Yes I understand you have to restore a former station site but this one seemed to take way too long since it is in a prime location.

from that article ^ "There are more than 50 lots in Edmonton that used to house gas stations, but now sit empty."

That's pretty sad... I bet most of them sit empty for longer than this one did...

C2E SME

Hey I have a novel idea, how about a gas station on that site? Although if not I can handle a car wash and auto dealership there. My third choice would be for sure a Subway, Starbucks and McDonalds. If we get something like any of these ideas it will be something completely new to the city!!!
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    My third choice would be for sure a Subway, Starbucks and McDonalds.
    Only if it's a drive-thru!

Here's the full video of the Global story:
    http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/vide...1&s=dd#stories

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Sorry -- I thought the string of sarcasm in prior posts plus the added emoticon would make it more obvious that I was joking. I'd get rid of all the auto-dealers and car washes from Whyte if I could.
    oh hah, my apologies!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    from that article ^ "There are more than 50 lots in Edmonton that used to house gas stations, but now sit empty."

That's pretty sad... I bet most of them sit empty for longer than this one did...
    Yep one example. On the corner of 156 Street around 90 Ave there used to be 3 gas stations when I was a kid on three of the corners with a church on the NW corner. Esso, Texaco, Shell.

All 3 stations closed only with the former Esso building is still standing on the SE corner as an auto repair business. The former Shell on the SW lot finally became a four level seniors condo after the lot was cleaned out around 7 years ago.

The former Texaco lot has been abandoned ever since, They tore out the pumps, tanks, and demolished the building but the lot has never been closed off or ever dug up. It is surrounded by residential areas. and has never been redeveloped besides just remaining a vacant lot.

So yes there are a lot of empty former gas station lots in Edmonton either in residential areas or on such a popular and busy street as Whyte.

Unitil they redevelop the lot Can't they turn it into a temporary park? or something......I mean the park on the corner of Jasper and 102 Street where the old Johnstone-Walker store was supposed to be a temp "starting in 1978" I know it wasn't a gas station but they should be able to clean up the former Esso lot on Whyte quicker than that!!!!

C2E SME

I hope that more of these stations get cleaned up in the future. Some of them have sat as empty lots for years, even decades.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Another brownfield site that concerns me is the former Shell on East Whyte. I wonder how long this will take?

^ I think it wil take quite a while, unfortunately. The contamination on this site, however, is nowhere near as extensive as it was (and still partially is) on the Esso site at 105th. Remediation is necesary, but perhaps as the reviatlization of Whyte Avenue east of the CP tracks continues, someone will understand the value of this piece of land and take the necessary steps to redevelop it.

About 7 years ago at the beginning of the summer, I remember watching a gas station be demolished on 17th avenue in Calgary. On a return visit at the end of that summer a new low rise commercial building was going up on the space. It was a poignant reminder of the economics at play in the two cities.

It will be really interesting to see what goes up there considering the expected cost of the land. Personally I'd love to see a small office tower with restaurant on the 2nd with patio and the main being retail and side lobby. It would be good to have some additional employment in the area.

If not, a more contemporary version of what John did on the Chilis/starbucks etc. site.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^Does anyone have a link to photos of the block before the rebuild, back when it was (I think) an Alberts?

Is there a demonstrable lack of/expressed need for more office space on Whyte Ave.?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^I could see some additional space required warranted there. Great location, great amenities. For those who want to be central but not downtown downtown.
    www.decl.org

Greenwoods headed back to Whyte Avenue

EDMONTON - Greenwoods’ Bookshoppe is moving back to Whyte Avenue, the location of its original operations between 1979 and 2001, in late October.

The new Greenwoods’ outlet, bound for the historic Ross Block at 10309 Whyte Avenue, will be a bit smaller than the current Strathcona Centre location on 104th Street but will be reminiscent of the original Whyte Avenue store opened in 1979 by siblings Brad, Gail and Laurie Greenwood.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...428/story.html

This is the building right beside Hudsons

Oh, nice! That had the skater shop in it for awhile, right? It's been empty for awhile.

C2E SME

This will be nice to have this store back on Whyte.

Great to see another bookstore added to the mix on Whyte. We have seen a couple new clothing stores as well, like Oak + Fort. The huge number of bars/restaurants risks becoming a bit one dimensional.

^actually... in recent years it has shifted back to a far more balanced street IMO.

Great to see them back on the Ave though.
    www.decl.org

There also hasn't been a new bar on Whyte Ave in how many years? Sure, the names change, but the spaces don't. And there won't/can't be any more bars open up, either.

The lease @ Gin Mill has been terminated as of Sept 23. With DQ opening across the street (maybe sometime this decade given the glacial pace of interior construction), anyone wanna bet that a McDicks will open there?

Cherry and Bang On are moving about a block west. So there's more prominent retail space opening up along Whyte.

WHAT? It just opened basically and has a killer interior.
    www.decl.org

Lease terminated for both Gin Mill and the place upstairs. Sounds like the landlord is cleaning house.

Wow, that's brutal for the Gin Mill people. They didn't even get a chance to put a proper sign up!

Very curious now.
    www.decl.org

Ian, will you/can you investigate?

Will try my one source from Gin Mill.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

I hope they do something to make the front of that building a bit more appealing, maybe reveal the original brick facade?
    Mike

Partially Addicted to C2E

I see TELUS is putting the finishing touches on their new outlet adjacent to Subway.

On another note, it's unfortunate that the former Rodgers Video space has been empty for such a long time.
    Last edited by mki; 27-09-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    Edmonton is a diverse landscape of business and culture in a beautiful rivervalley setting

Ian, any luck looking into The Gin Mill? It's weird, but I walked past it last Friday and it was open. Not sure what's going on there...

^heard it was going tits up...
    www.decl.org

Has the DQ Grill & Chill opened yet? I was on Whyte a couple of weeks ago and they were still "coming soon"

I drove by it the other day and it's still "Coming Soon." It's quite amazing how long it's taken them to open there. I think they may also have the basement space as well, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I drove by it the other day and it's still "Coming Soon." It's quite amazing how long it's taken them to open there. I think they may also have the basement space as well, but I could be wrong.
    Gord, I think you have it right.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

re: City Donair.

for those of you who question how it stays open, I suggest setting your alarm clocks and going down there at about midnight. It's a goldmine.

DQ Grill & Chill/ Orange Julius? As far as I'm concerned it's an abomination on Whyte. But, it will be packed, I am sure. Most likely by all the people that wonder where all the local business has gone.

C2E SME

Well the cold hard truth of Whyte ave is that it is a victim of it's own success.

Well the cold hard truth of Whyte ave is that it is a victim of it's own success.
    That is the same on any "trendy" street.

Starts out as a street full of cool independant stores, restaurants, and bars attracting people, customers and steady traffic.

The chains start to show-up causing the rents to go up forcing the independants out to other locations eventually turning the street into a large outdoor chain store/restaurant/bar street.

Queen Street West in Toronto is another example as well as Robson in Vancouver. Once fun and trendy now crammed with all the same chain stores you see at Southgate, Yorkdale, Chinook, Metropolis at Metrotown or Polo Park.

Eventually 124th or 118th will blossom into the huge trendy "independent" streets instead. It's already happening.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by nbees View Post
    to give you an idea of lease rates:

Varscona retail 10642-82 Ave (former Spa Club on GL photo stream)
    sqft: 2038
    basic rent: ±$29/sqft
    op cost: $9.86/sqft

which is roughly $6600/mo in rent

whether that's reasonable or prohibitive really depends on the type of business.

124 street is anywhere from $50/sqft (former Lux beauty space) to $10/sqft, with an average I'd guess somewhere near $15-17 plus op.
    Seems a bit too expensive for our current budget, we actually noticed the empty space as well and we were planning to use the location for offices/ a location to have consultations for new/current clients looking to expand to the global market (websites/hosting solutions).

Thanks for the pricing on the building, we were trying to find that and were going to move forward with a realtor.

- Tanner Gettis

Okay, just to keep things all in one place, here are a few developments on Whyte:

-Chili's is closed (no sign of a new occupant)
    -The Gin Mill is now closed (new business coming soon, but I couldn't read what it is)
    -DQ/Orange Julius is now open

WOW! How upscale! a new DQ/Orange Julius!!!! Whats next another McD's, more Liquor Stores, And a few more self serve Gas Bars...Whyte Avenue is really begining to lose it's independent lustre.

I guess 124th Street will take over on that front in the future.

Chilis would be a good location for a LUX/Cactus Club type place.

darrellinyvr, that spot has been occupied by chains for years. It's one chain replacing another chain.

SDM, it's definitely a great space, so it should attract a great tenant.

Not arguing that point but over time the independants are vacating and being replaced by chains.....one by one.

I hope the next iteration in the Gin Mill location peels the plywood off that building and makes it look better.

Wait...did I read Gord's post right? The DQ Grill and Chill is finally open? After a good chunk of a year of interior construction? Whyte Ave patrons can finally buy Blizzards...just in time for the start of winter?

C2E SME

Hey don't knock the blizzard, I've been known to buy a blizzard during a blizzard, lol.

I'm not 100% sure, but Funky Town may be gone as well. We were walking on the other side of the street, so I couldn't check it out as well as I wanted.

I passed by the "Gin Mill" site and it is being renamed the Tilted Kilt or something along that lines.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

^ Yep:
    http://edmonton.tiltedkilt.com/

It's a chain in the States that seems to be opening its first Canadian location here:
    http://www.tiltedkilt.com/locations-map.html
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 30-11-2011 at 02:19 PM.

^ Yep:
    http://edmonton.tiltedkilt.com/

It's a chain in the States that seems to be opening its first Canadian location here:
    http://www.tiltedkilt.com/locations-map.html
    Look we're a state!

Sports bar good, theme meh. Thought it was another 'twisted kilt'... which would have been marginally worse, but same pile.

argh
    www.decl.org

Anyone know when Famoso on Whyte is going to open?

I managed to visit the Tilted Kilt over my time off for Christmas. In short, lots of eye candy but the place would be a more enjoyable experience if they actually hired bartenders and servers. Expect long wait times for drinks -- we did not even want to attempt involving the kitchen with our table.

Plus I have a rule that I do not like ordering from a kitchen for at least the first 4 months after a place opens. A lot of places will stock their kitchen with high-end items and switch to cheap stuff months later (Globe chicken wings as an example). Conversely a lot of places will also have significant organization issues in the first months resulting in slow service that will resolve itself within a 3-4 month span.

Hooters with Celtic uniforms.

SDM, they were talking about having a hiring fair this coming weekend, so I'm guessing it'll be fairly soon.

Gord: Thanks

MJ: Twisted Kilt is a chain, so I doubt this location is going to deviate that greatly from established kitchen menus/ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Sports bar good, theme meh. Thought it was another 'twisted kilt'... which would have been marginally worse, but same pile.

argh
    Twisted Kilt was opened here as a direct ripoff to Tilted Kilt, supposedly after inquiring about franchise rights and then deciding to go at it themselves. I find it funny that a Tilted Kilt opened up shortly after. That novelty didn't last long.

Booster Juice is now open in the Palomar building on Whyte Ave, next door to Second Cup.

Any know of any plans for the Iron Horse building? I know they shut down a while back. I'm thinking that would be an ideal spot for a Cactus Club, Milestones or an restaurant of that ilk.

Booster Juice is now open in the Palomar building on Whyte Ave, next door to Second Cup.

Any know of any plans for the Iron Horse building? I know they shut down a while back. I'm thinking that would be an ideal spot for a Cactus Club, Milestones or an restaurant of that ilk.
    Milestones on Whyte would be fantastic for sure. I still miss the earls next to the Mill Creek Bridge heading towards Bonnie Doon.

"School of Rock" has opened (or will open) in the former Top Gear location.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post

Milestones on Whyte would be fantastic for sure. I still miss the earls next to the Mill Creek Bridge heading towards Bonnie Doon.
    Someone on SSP mentioned the Iron Horse may be turned into a beer market like Craft in Calgary.

^Yes, apparently being modeled after that.

Anyone know if HUB Cigar is still open? I called the number on their site and it's picking up with a not in service notification.

Looking for some UK car magazines.. if not HUB who would carry them?

They should be otherwise it would make the news if they had closed since they are such a longtime business here in Edmonton.
    Coles in CityCentre or Southgate has quite a few magazines on Brit Cars along with the Chapters in WEM.

C2E SME

I like the seletion of magazines at Indigo in SEC or Chapters on Calgary Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Anyone know if HUB Cigar is still open? I called the number on their site and it's picking up with a not in service notification.

Looking for some UK car magazines.. if not HUB who would carry them?
    Last I checked Hub was on 103 Street, just south of Whyte. Mind you, it was a scaled back version of its old self.
    ... gobsmacked

Hmm, apologies for replying in this thread, I thought I had it elsewhere!

Went by at lunch today, lights were off. Barber next door said they had been closed the past two weeks.

I'll check Chapters or Coles.

Thanks

Hrrm, that'd be one less Edmonton icon. Be a shame if it's permanent.
    ... gobsmacked

We walked by tonight and there was a sign saying their temporary hours are from ???? until 6pm.

C2E SME

That would be unfortunate if they are closed or headed towards closing. I wonder how this current location compares traffic wise to where the were before. If business is not as good in this location maybe they should consider moving back onto the avenue but further east on the other side of the tracks.
    One question though, did their selection shrink in size when they came to their new location?

Before Xmas the barber next door told me there is trouble with one of the partners. This, however, is bigger than just another Edmonton icon shutting it's doors. What does it say about our city that we can't support a dedicated magazine/newspaper stand? Nothing charming, I'm afraid. Since my arrival in this town two newspaper/mag shops have closed their doors. BTW you can't buy a copy of the New Yorker or Harpers at YEG. Sad.

I've been tweeting about HUB and heard from a reporter that was looking into what's going on. He thinks his story should run on Wednesday in the Journal's business section.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I've been tweeting about HUB and heard from a reporter that was looking into what's going on. He thinks his story should run on Wednesday in the Journal's business section.
    Hopefully this is a temporary issue and that they can re-open/solve issues in a positive manner back on the avenue as there are better spaces available that would really restore the customer base they once knew.

They still carry magazines that the Chapters on Whyte do not have and I just like helping support an independent business like that rather than a large chain.

Locate either further east or west, as was earlier posted on Whyte (where there is also better parking) and being on the bus routes.

I always thought this location was too "hidden" And bring back a new version of the "historic" sign.

C2E SME

I think if they moved to a space close to the new roots building and as forementioned to have a new version of the old sign business could do quite well. I would hate to see that business disappear.

I think if they moved to a space close to the new roots building and as forementioned to have a new version of the old sign business could do quite well. I would hate to see that business disappear.
    Agreed, they need to get back on the avenue somehow.

I hear Chilis is getting a new LOCAL tenant. Looking forward to the reveal.
    www.decl.org

Likewise - can't help but wonder who it will be! That's a large space to fill, with such a great third-floor patio.

Does the capitalized LOCAL mean anything???
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Nope. But they do have a couple other locations in town.
    www.decl.org

But... the sign at Chili's said they were just renovating

Looks like there may be something going on at the old Crepe space. Unfortunately I had never been in there before to know what it looked like, but the door was uncovered yesterday, so someone has definitely been in there.

Also, the A&W was being gutted and a sign was up saying they're closed for renos and would be open soon.

The old Organics Roots space is being renovated, with Cally's Teas taking one of the spaces, leaving the second empty (well, for now).

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast