Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    I'm begining to fear that the independents on Whyte Avenue are begining to fail or move elsewhere (such as 124th Street) for lower rents etc leaving Whtye to morph into Edmonton's version of Queen Street West or Robson. which both once were funky shopping streets lined with one-off local shops catering to a eclectic clientele. Now Robson and Queen West are chock a block with chain stores that are no different than the local mall aside from being outside. Whyte seems tobe progressing in that direction. Other examples from south of the border Georgetown in Washington D.C. or Melrose in L.A both once great shopping areas with unique stores now overrun with "upscale" chains like Kenneth Cole etc etc etc. I would not be suprised if in a few years Whyte will have a GAP, Club Monaco, Banana Republic, etc etc etc joining the chains already on Whyte such as Roots, Lush, Lululemon, Chapters, American Apparel, Starbucks, They have begun the "malling of Whyte"
    Except one of the chains, Le Chateau, has also left Whyte. I think the rents are just getting to be too high, so we'll either see the rents come down, or business close.

One other things to note is that East-Whyte seems to be doing well. Fewer vacancies can be found there, and with the new Organic Roots building going up, it could be a positive sign for that part of the Ave.
    I wouldn't regard Le Chateau as overly successful I would not be suprised if destination stores start cropping up on Whyte (of which Le Chateau isn't) Stores that people will shop at and have deep pockets to pay the higher rents. Specifically international stores that want into the Canadian market due to the stronger economy. STores like Le Chateau are stale amd have not really changed all that much in the past few years meaning cheap clothes (quality) at a rather high price for what you get.

The Le Chateau store was opened as a 3rd tier store a decade ago. It was never a focal point or well maintained store for the company.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    The Le Chateau store was opened as a 3rd tier store a decade ago. It was never a focal point or well maintained store for the company.
    I lost interest in Le Chateau as a source of "Trendy" stuff in the 80's even when it was pretty much the only game in town for club type clothes.
    It was overpriced cheap poop then much like it is now. The only difference is there is alot more competition nowadays for "fast fashion" H&M. Zara to mention a couple of the big players. It's all relatively cheap disposable clothing but both Zara and H&M beat Le Chateau on value for money in my eyes.

If Whyte happens to start filling up with chains (and it has begun the process) It is just following national/international trends in regards to outdoor retail streets.

Early years a retail street that was actaully a real main street.

A period of decline such as it was in the 60's and 70's

Rejuvination during the 80's and 90's as a destination for unique local one off type hipster outlets.

Morphing into a entertainment strip such as the early 2000's

Changing yet again with a chains moving in to take advantage of the "local vibe/scene/foot" traffic and the increasing rents that independents have a hard time keeping pace with (especially during economic downturns)

Future possibly some strong independents remaining with far more chains catering to the crowd that likes "brands" and "bars"

^Oddly enough I shopped at Le Chateau for the first time in years recently. They launched a new line of mens pants with real wool and they fit great for $125. Far superior to the usual polyester crap for the same price they used to carry.

Their return policy still keeps me away 99% of the time though.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    ^Oddly enough I shopped at Le Chateau for the first time in years recently. They launched a new line of mens pants with real wool and they fit great for $125. Far superior to the usual polyester crap for the same price they used to carry.

Their return policy still keeps me away 99% of the time though.
    Exactly a poor customer service/return policy does NOT encourage repeat business no matter how great the clothes are made and or priced. Things can and do go wrong sometimes and if you cannot exchange/return it due to defect it leaves a very sour taste in your mouth.

Its return for store creit.. or at least it was when I worked there.

There is nothing wrong with having some chain on Whyte... It brings more people to the Ave!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Its return for store creit.. or at least it was when I worked there.

There is nothing wrong with having some chain on Whyte... It brings more people to the Ave!
    Yeah, exchange or credit only. Doesn't help if you can't find something else you like. I like places that believe in their product enough to take it back if the buyer isn't satisfied.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Of course the rent is too high. No one is buying anything, chains have better advertising which makes a stronger base, better credit to hold out during slowdowns, and have more money. Smaller companies can't compete with that unless consumers start 'buying Canadian'.

There should be a bit of a campaign to buy local.
    Developers and realtors need to cut the rents back to pre 2007 rates however.

Oh, and paying with cash is way easier if the customer has cash on hand, and if the retailer modifies their prices so they don't have to fight with pennies.

If you buy something for $3 with GST included, get a toonie back and walk away. That takes 2 seconds as opposed to the people somehow surprised by the fact that they have to pay and they make a big display out of taking out their wallet, or shifting through their purse, swiping their card, waiting for the display, typing in their pin, and then waiting for the approved message. Then you get the people who forget their pin, or forget it's their other card and hold up people. That's providing the machine doesn't time out or the lines aren't down, which happens more often than you'd think.
    I worked in a liquor store. Cash is faster.
    Last edited by armin; 09-12-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    There should be a bit of a campaign to buy local.
    Like this one?
    "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

I'm begining to fear that the independents on Whyte Avenue are begining to fail or move elsewhere (such as 124th Street) for lower rents etc leaving Whtye to morph into Edmonton's version of Queen Street West or Robson. which both once were funky shopping streets lined with one-off local shops catering to a eclectic clientele. Now Robson and Queen West are chock a block with chain stores that are no different than the local mall aside from being outside. Whyte seems tobe progressing in that direction. Other examples from south of the border Georgetown in Washington D.C. or Melrose in L.A both once great shopping areas with unique stores now overrun with "upscale" chains like Kenneth Cole etc etc etc. I would not be suprised if in a few years Whyte will have a GAP, Club Monaco, Banana Republic, etc etc etc joining the chains already on Whyte such as Roots, Lush, Lululemon, Chapters, American Apparel, Starbucks, They have begun the "malling of Whyte"
    Not sure this is totally a bad thing. Right now to get a lot of mainstream popular brands, Edmontonians need to travel to malls that are far from the core and far from residential areas and tend to get most of the visitors by car (Southgate now on LRT but still, take a look at the parking lot, not to mention WEM and Kingsway).

I think there is space and demand in the city for both more mainstream chain stores at street level either downtown or on Whyte, AND independent outlets. If the independents move to 124th St. then they would make a positive contribution to that area.

I'm not saying chains begining to infiltrate Whyte is a "bad" thing It is just part of the evolution of the avenue. I mentioned if the stronger independents and destination stores survive it makes for a stronger retail attraction that does give us a choice rather than WEM or SEC etc.

Whyte in the 70's was pretty dismal while today it is in my mind one of the best streets in Canada for a eclectic "main street" feel. Big chains are going to want in on that increasingly as it is considered the trendy Edmonton street eclipsing what Jasper Avenue used to be like when I was growing up.

The balancing act will be to keep it unique while allowing Whyte to develop (perhaps with more chains coming in) so it doesn't become Robson Street which is a virtual mall that just happens to have cars drive down the centre.

Yonge Street (cheap chains) Bloor Street (expensive chains) and Queen Street West (both) are chained to death and while Ste Catherines still feels feels like a real downtown retail street there is nothing overly unique about 95% of the stores, You can find them anywhere in the country.

Whyte still to me feels like a mainstreet of a smallish prairie city in many respects.
    Big wide and western feeling. The only other retail streets in Canada to me that have retained much of the local character along with chains that I have seen are, Spring Garden Road in Halifax and Water Street in St John's perhaps Granville St in Vancouver with the somewhat faded remains of the many theatres though not after last call on a weekend since they have all been converted to clubs and bars.
    Last edited by NielCole; 09-12-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Transplanted_Edm View Post
    Not sure this is totally a bad thing. Right now to get a lot of mainstream popular brands, Edmontonians need to travel to malls that are far from the core and far from residential areas and tend to get most of the visitors by car (Southgate now on LRT but still, take a look at the parking lot, not to mention WEM and Kingsway).

I think there is space and demand in the city for both more mainstream chain stores at street level either downtown or on Whyte, AND independent outlets. If the independents move to 124th St. then they would make a positive contribution to that area.
    They'd do better going around 118th since 124th has already been invaded by glassfront offices and the prices already went up. 118th has tons of potential. There's a lot of streets downtown that have serious potential really.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Personally, I see no problem with local smaller scale retailers moving off Whyte too 124 Street or 118 Avenue. They single handily turned Whyte Avenue into one of the city's most successful shopping districts. It's all part of a cycle. Eventually these new districts will see the same things happen as we are starting to see happen on Whyte.

C2E Long Term Contributor

It takes him ages to get to the point, but Babiak alludes to the same issue of Whyte turning into a chain strip:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...802/story.html

"Victim of its own success" is very apt indeed.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    It takes him ages to get to the point, but Babiak alludes to the same issue of Whyte turning into a chain strip:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...802/story.html

"Victim of its own success" is very apt indeed.
    Why are people sad when a business closes down? Some succeed, some fail. Business carries risk with it. A lot of people are talking about how they will miss Nokomis but clearly not enough people were letting their wallets do the talking. For the record my wife enjoyed shopping there but as you would imagine found their stuff pricey. The whole economy of scale thing.

Trying to understand, if a local independent store on Whyte makes a profit that's good, but if a local real estate entrepreneur tries to make a profit on Whyte and raises rents, that's bad? Is one kind of business better than the other?

I also question why there was no mention of the store relocating to somewhere else in the city with lower rents (if that was supposedly the reason for closing). A few businesses have chosen to leave Whyte and head over to 124th or other streets and have hoped that their clientele would follow and that perhaps they would also gain new clientele.

they usually move to another hood and make it trendy though don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    they usually move to another hood and make it trendy though don't they?
    That's what I was trying to get at... a lot of the indie places on Whyte are moving to other neighborhoods like 124 Street and 118 Avenue. So what if national and international retailers open in their place?

All of us 124 street supporters are enjoying the results of the chaining of whyte ave.
    All we have to do now is to continue to shop the stret and try to support the indi's.
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

I think East Whyte (between Gateway and 99 St) would be another alternative for cheaper rents, yes?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    When is the old Esso Station going to be built on?
    In about 85 years.

I watched the Esso station be taken down with a few doubting buddies many years ago. Started around midnight.

This, and many other stations around the province, were taken down in the 90's due to soil contamination. It was called the Alberta M.U.S.T program. Esso was the most aggressive. Once they found one of their sites was/is contaminated, they would move in, and the station would be gone within 24 to 48 hours. Sign removal truck always the first to show up.

The site must be remediated. Unfortunately, one of the accepted forms of remediation in the province of Alberta is evaporation. This "process" generally takes about 100 years. Put up a fence and wait.

So, until the hydrocarbons evaporate, or the value of the land gets high enough to offset the costs to remove all of the contaminated soil from that property, and most likely one or more neighbouring properties, nothing will be built on that site.

It is, btw, the reason you don't see many mom and pop corner gas stations anymore.

I think East Whyte (between Gateway and 99 St) would be another alternative for cheaper rents, yes?
    East Whyte is pretty full though, so there isn't really anywhere to move to unless someone wants the old Shell station land. The drum shop near Warp 1 closed, and a month or two later a tattoo/clothing store opened. "Bride on a Budget" closed and a week or two later there was a computer store (or repair place??) opened up. I worry that this means East Whyte rents will increase...

^that is the nature of the beast and normal 'transition'.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

This was posted up on another thread but thought that this wouldn't be too bad to replace the safeway on whyte and 109.

One a side note and off topic for a second, who thinks that this safeway building looks a lot like the Robbins center for Nursing at MacEwan?

LRT is our future, time to push forward.

^very similar... i'd like that to replace oliver sq safeway. and the one on robson to replace whyte.

Reason being scale and likelihood of acceptance by all parties.

(http://www.wsb-eng.com/imagessrc/Safeway_Robson.jpg)
    www.decl.org

Agreed. Rates can be $10-$20 psf below the same sized space on the west side. $20 on 1500sf is $30K less a year in rent. Big savings.

But to get customers to walk through that invisible barrier at the RR tracks.......
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

East Whyte is pretty full though, so there isn't really anywhere to move to unless someone wants the old Shell station land. The drum shop near Warp 1 closed, and a month or two later a tattoo/clothing store opened. "Bride on a Budget" closed and a week or two later there was a computer store (or repair place??) opened up. I worry that this means East Whyte rents will increase...
    There's vacancy in Whyte Mill Square as well.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^furusato and empress should be enough of a draw.
    www.decl.org

Ah, right, Whyte Mill Square. I keep hoping to hear that they're tearing that down. H2O definitely has some "interesting" clientele for a sports bar. I'm sure that space will be difficult to fill with them as neighbours.

ah H20. Many a karaoke night spent there.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^furusato and empress should be enough of a draw.
    They draw lots of people in the evenings, but unfortunately their schedules aren't really aligned with the times that many people go to Whyte to shop (weekend daytime).

By the time the Furusato and Empress crowds start coming in, lots of stores, both on the main stretch of Whyte as well as E. of the tracks, are already closed most nights of the week.

I would like to see an Earls/Joey Tomatoes/Cactus Club type of chain and a Starbucks open on East Whyte. Like them or not, I think they would help getting people to actually cross the tracks.

I wonder if there is any opportunity for a more discreet/subtle set of railway barriers, considering how little they are actually used. Maybe this is determined by law or safety regulations, but I wonder if we could create more "upscale" barriers.

I would like to see an Earls/Joey Tomatoes/Cactus Club type of chain and a Starbucks open on East Whyte. Like them or not, I think they would help getting people to actually cross the tracks.
    Remember "Whyte Earls" next to the Mill Creek Ravine.....

I think it's more the empty space than anything. Will you cross the street and cross the empty space, or simply cross to the other side of Whyte? I think most just cross to the other side of the ave.

First One is Always Free
    My Queendom of Edmonton and surrounding areas

I think a Goorin Brothers hat store would be a perfect fit in the old Le Chateau building. They have a Goorin Bros. in Vancouver now and I think there are plans for one in Calgary. I'm positive it would do well and be a terrific fit, not only for that building but for the ave itself.
    It's my world darling, you're just living in it.

We shopped the Ave on Sat AM after the Market
    All the indy's were busy (Avenue Clothing, Pope, Chicken etc) the chains not so

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    chains = Lululemon, American Apparel, what else?

I did some last minute Christmas shopping on Whyte for the first time in a few months this afternoon and I was really surprised at the number of empty retail bays. One of the salon/spa places in the ground floor retail bays of the parkade between 106-107 Street is also now empty with a for lease sign in the window.

Lush, Chapters, Aveda, Roots.
    I think most Edmontonians still go to Whyte to shop at something other than a chain. If you chain shop you will obviously pick one of the malls as a first choice. For now independents still rule the Avenue though over time that may change.

What he said as far as the chains go
    Of course no one shops at LUSH anymore due to all of those petroleum based chemical toxins used in their products ..........

What he said as far as the chains go
    Of course no one shops at LUSH anymore due to all of those petroleum based chemical toxins used in their products ..........
    I think it more due to the fact that one requires a gas mask just to enter the store due to all the fragrances that mix and totally overwhelm the average shopper....

Lush, Chapters, Aveda, Roots.
    I think most Edmontonians still go to Whyte to shop at something other than a chain. If you chain shop you will obviously pick one of the malls as a first choice. For now independents still rule the Avenue though over time that may change.
    Trying to make sense of some ideas on this thread that seem to be conflicting. I am reading:

1) chains were less busy, people go to Whyte for independent stores, so therefore no more chains should open on Whyte, we need more independents to fill the empty spaces

2) too many independent stores are leaving Whyte because they can't be successful there

????????

^It just demostrates that many don't really know what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    ^It just demostrates that many don't really know what they're talking about.
    Before you get all snotty and deride other peoples opinions I suggest you sit back and realize that as in most industries retail and retail districts evolve over time.

Yes Whyte is home to mostly independents with some chains.

Yes some independents are closing or relocating off of Whyte for whatever reasons financial, personal or whatever.

Whyte MAY be slowly evolving into a chain strip much like many other successful retail streets have around Canada but then it MAY NOT as since there is a thing called "the marketplace" which decides who and or what will ultimately succeed or fail.

Stores survive on customers and if for whatever reason independents cannot make it (Like Nokomis) It's usually because their business has failed to evolve with their target customer base. It happens to chains too. look at Eatons in the late 1990's.

These vacant spaces may be filled by other independents (but the retail/financial climate at the present isn't overly conducive to that unless they have lots of backing or a really unique format unlike anything else) Or chains with much deeper pockets may open instead again changing the nature of Whyte.

Also most people are now used to getting things for cheap, hence the success of multinational chains with huge economies of scale which independents have a very hard time competing pricewise unless they offer incredible service to justify the much higher prices.

If Whyte evolves into a chain strip like Robson, Queen Street West, or Bloor it's because the market is changing and thats what most customers prefer, If Whyte doesn't and maintains it's uniqueness with independents that again is what the Whyte customer is looking for.

Yeah it's contradictory and thats the nature of retail/ retail development.

It has the traffic and the attractive destination status. Todays major international chains are not stupid, If they want in they can price the rents out of reach of independents if need be to reach what they perceive as a very lucrative market possibly leaving independents struggling in their wake.

Time will tell. Get back to me in 2020 or 2025 and then we can compare notes on how Whyte Avenue has or hasn't evolved for better or worse.

^You're explaining this to the wrong person. I work in an industry that requires an understanding of how real estate markets work, including retail.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    ^You're explaining this to the wrong person. I work in an industry that requires an understanding of how real estate markets work, including retail.
    Your the one who started with the arrogant comments. Happy News Years to you too!
    Last edited by NielCole; 01-01-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Now now, children...anyway, back to the topic on-hand...

I noticed that they are renovating Hudsons on Whyte. Hopefully they keep the patio along Gateway Blvd.

Now now, children...anyway, back to the topic on-hand...

I noticed that they are renovating Hudsons on Whyte. Hopefully they keep the patio along Gateway Blvd.
    That sounds promising. I always thought that Hudson's was a tad seedy.

I spend a warm winter afternoon wandering around Whyte Ave today.

The strip was busy busy busy...took a while to find parking, and every Second Cup and Starbucks had huge lines. Me and other pedestrians had a fun game of "jump over or dodge the massive puddles".

I noticed that the Le Chateau spot is now a Gravity Pope outlet. I hope Gravity Pope proper moves into there.

Various empty retail lots - some as big as Megatunes, smaller ones like the old MORSE clothing space.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I spend a warm winter afternoon wandering around Whyte Ave today.

The strip was busy busy busy...took a while to find parking, and every Second Cup and Starbucks had huge lines. Me and other pedestrians had a fun game of "jump over or dodge the massive puddles".

I noticed that the Le Chateau spot is now a Gravity Pope outlet. I hope Gravity Pope proper moves into there.

Various empty retail lots - some as big as Megatunes, smaller ones like the old MORSE clothing space.
    The gravity pope outlet was only there before christmas its closed now and the building is empty the sign hasnt come down yet... Gravity Pope Has 2 stores on Whyte Ave, im not sure if its large enough for both stores to combine into one?

I honestly don't know if any business will reopen in the old Le Chateau space... just stand on the north side of the avenue and look across. The building looks like it's about to fall over. Unless the owner is charging basement bottom prices to rent the space, I can't see anyone spending money renovating a place that doesn't even look structurally safe.

C2E SME

Actually I've noticed that for years. Does anyone know the background and history of that building. Does it have any historical significance. If not, could someone possibly buy it, tear it down and build a nice 3 or 4 floor building in it's place. Then they could even building their own parking below the building and attract some major tennants there.

search... we have gone over this building a few times now.
    www.decl.org

Default a very rare building

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Actually I've noticed that for years. Does anyone know the background and history of that building. Does it have any historical significance. If not, could someone possibly buy it, tear it down and build a nice 3 or 4 floor building in it's place. Then they could even building their own parking below the building and attract some major tennants there.
    Declared a RHR in 1976, with a conservation order.

For many decades it was home to Chapman Bros. they used to sell tack and other wares, clothing and boots too.

Later, it became one of the first private liquor stores in Alberta, Dennis Miller wine merchants, which was run by a Chapman.
    Last edited by Frank Wilson; 26-01-2011 at 09:36 PM.

And now it's falling apart. Any idea who owns the place? When a building has these kind of protective measures placed on them (historical resource, etc), can't an owner be forced to maintain the property? It's one of my favourite buildings on Whyte, but whoever owns it deserves a swift kick in the *** for allowing it to fall into such disrepair.

This fire is another blow for the Ave. I hope Langano reopens in the area.
    Anyone know if the Empress Ale House is affected?

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1398693

Very sad news... Langano Skies was a really unique restaurant and I too hope they are able to reopen somewhere on the avenue.

C2E SME

Anyone know how bad it was? I saw the fire truck as I drove by but didn't have time to see the damage.

Damage looks pretty bad. Saw a picture on the news that makes it look like the entire roof is caved in and just walked by and you can see daylight through the second story windows (confirmation of huge hole in the roof). That building looks like a tear down now. Empress appears minimally affected but it is closed and front door is boarded up.

C2E SME

That's very very sad and unfortunate. Anyone hear of a suspected cause yet? Well if this ends up being a teardown lets all hope that the owner of the building will be able to rebuild and if so can build something that will follow suit to the design style of Whyte ave.

They will rebuild, the real estate is too valuable not too.

The dirt underneath, yep. But that building should be knocked to the ground and something redone....

Famoso is opening in the Le Chateau space.
    DQ Grill and Chill is almost ready to open in the old Timothys/Grabbajabba space.

Saw it the other night, meant to post the pic earlier. Sorry for the terrible quality, it was a quick phone snapshot. It's about time they got a location on Whyte, and what a landmark location it will be! (Although I personally find their food disgustingly greasy, I love the concept)

Love that place. It'll do very very well there picking up some Gelato business

Wow, that's surprising, as I was told last year they wouldn't open on Whyte because it was too close to the downtown location and would take business away. Glad they had a change of heart (but they're right, as we probably won't go to the downtown location with one closer to us on Whyte).

The downtown Famoso is always crazy-busy though, so I doubt the cannibalization of each other would be an issue anymore.

Apparently the crepe place has closed on Whyte? That didn't last long...

Apparently the crepe place has closed on Whyte? That didn't last long...
    When I walked past it said closed for renos. I'm skeptical though.

Stripclub to open in nightclub blackhole space on 81 St between 103 - 104 St

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...trathcona.html

It's not going to be a strip club. Ben Henderson looked into it and said "Latest info is the owner will not be operating as a strip club. They have agreed not to apply for the new use."

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

They should have a strip club on Whyte ave, I dont know why there isn't one there, seems like it would fit in with the night life scene that is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing76 View Post
    They should have a strip club on Whyte ave, I dont know why there isn't one there, seems like it would fit in with the night life scene that is already there.
    I agree
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

The downtown Famoso is always crazy-busy though, so I doubt the cannibalization of each other would be an issue anymore.
    Funky Pickle might suffer - albeit they sell pizza by the piece for late night nought boozers to go.

Get a grip...its life. Supply and demand and they need to operate some where.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^^We would all be better off if Funky Pickle suffered...

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Get a grip...its life. Supply and demand and they need to operate some where.
    Exactly.

C2E SME

It's intersting reading some of the comments on the Journal site, you would think they are opening live sex shows in the parking lot or something like that. The only thing I'm disappointed about this story that one bar is replacing another one. I would have much preferred to see some other retailer or a few retailers move into that building. It's just another bar that is moving in that happens to have women strip naked on a regular basis. Now if they make this place a dive then that could be a problem, but otherwise its no big deal.

It's not going to be a strip club.

The reason you see a bar open up in a former bar location is because there aren't any more permits being given out for bars. If a non-bar opens up in the space, that permit is toast, and a new one can't be issued. The former bar locations then hold higher interest for a bar because of that license.

That building is a brick bunker, it would suck for retail unless it had some major renovations done including addition of lots of windows.

Yeah, it's been scrapped:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...trathcona.html

But that location is a black hole where many clubs have come and gone.

Coun. Ben Henderson said he was relieved to hear the news.
    "I was puzzled to begin with why anybody would want to be opening a strip club in the Whyte Avenue/Strathcona area. It doesn't feel like it fits with the demographic of the people who are there or the kind of business models that I think are in place," Henderson said.

Interesting comment. I wonder what Mr. Henderson thinks is the primary demographic of Whyte Ave.? And what business model he thinks are in place?
    Yes, I did write him to ask and am awaiting a response.

never answered e-mail

^Heh. Because we all know that college/university males aren't interested in strip clubs

Quote Originally Posted by glasshead View Post
    ^Heh. Because we all know that college/university males aren't interested in strip clubs
    agreed. Cause they're all broke, right?

and all of those bachelor parties on Whyte Ave every weekend wouldn't be interested in something like this anyway

It would be nice to see a 2 level restaurant there rather than another club.
    www.decl.org

I completely agree with you, Ian. Von's, just down the street there, is a wonderful place to go, and a similar quality restaurant would be great. Unfortunately it sounds as though this will continue to be a rotating club spot.

I completely agree with you, Ian. Von's, just down the street there, is a wonderful place to go, and a similar quality restaurant would be great. Unfortunately it sounds as though this will continue to be a rotating club spot.
    There is no parking for that building that I am aware of. Paid parking nearby and on the street. I do not think it is a good location for a resto...no ROI given the cost to reno for a "quality" resto. IF the High-Mid rise residential development envisioned once for the Strathcona Strip Mall (where dollar store, hair academy etc are) were to occur - maybe. The area needs more density imo.

Tons of parking around it and a very unique space.
    www.decl.org

There is no parking for that building that I am aware of. Paid parking nearby and on the street.
    Hasn't hurt Packrat Louie. Or Julio's. Or Yianni's. I laugh when people say they have a problem finding parking near Whyte. I guess they give up after 2 seconds. I normally find a spot within 2 minutes if I drive to the area.

There is no parking for that building that I am aware of. Paid parking nearby and on the street.
    There's exactly the same level of parking that Von's has, which has been open for 23 years.

Hasn't hurt Packrat Louie. Or Julio's. Or Yianni's. I laugh when people say they have a problem finding parking near Whyte. I guess they give up after 2 seconds. I normally find a spot within 2 minutes if I drive to the area.
    Except during the fringe. I literally drove around for 25 minutes looking for ANY parking last Friday. Finally found a single spot in the lot next to Scotiabank, and the ticket machine didn't give me one when I paid.

Restopub might be a tight requirement. Not a very cooperative floorplan for a proper kitchen, comissary and prep area without compromising a large chunk of public space on the main floor. Its not handicap friendly. One solution is you could have the kitchen on the second floor. Having said that, I think its a unique space as well. If its destined to be a 'club' then perhaps a live venue cabaret type? three, fours nights a week, featuring local acts and the odd headliner. Downsized Commodore Ballroom anyone?

Something is going into the empty Spa Club(?) space in the Allard Block. Anyone know what it is? I hate that block because of the awful stink from Lush, but good luck to whoever moves in.

C2E SME

I was very glad to see that there is some reno's to this space and I too am curious who is moving in. On another note, has anyone heard about any progress towards filling any of the empty lots on Whyte?

Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    Except during the fringe. I literally drove around for 25 minutes looking for ANY parking last Friday. Finally found a single spot in the lot next to Scotiabank, and the ticket machine didn't give me one when I paid.
    Ever think that during that area's largest event parking might be a bit of an issue?

Two words

Take
    Transit
    www.decl.org

^ yup.

LRT to Gradin Station, and hop on the high level bridge street car... did that for the first time during the Fringe last week, I don't know why I don't do it more often to go over to Whyte Ave. Great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    Ever think that during that area's largest event parking might be a bit of an issue?

Two words
    Take
    Transit
    Exactly while the Fringe is on you have three viable (and intelligent ) options.

1. Walk

2. Bike

3. There are blue large rectangular vehicles ( wait for a moment here it comes ) "Buses" That will drop you off close by for $2.85.

3a. If you live in St. Albert, or Sherwood Park they have large rectangular vehicles as well.....

What does Fringe have to do with vacant spaces on Whyte?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast