Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,600 of 1617

Thread: Vacant Spaces on Whyte

The Orange Market 24/7 on the corner of Whyte and 104th Street seems to have been dark every time I walked passed the last week or so. There are no notices posted. It does seem ominous for a 24/7 convenience store.

On a happier note, I see that the former Gallaghers Pub location east of Mill Creek has reopened under the Brick and Whiskey brand. I have not yet popped in to have a look. I wish these sorts of places would put out a sandwich sign or set up a web site or something. I don't feel I should have to physically check them all out.

I don't think there is anything really new happening on Whyte. By that I mean there has always been lots of businesses closing down and lots of others opening up. I can always remember a good inventory of empty spaces waiting for new tenants to try their luck. Others may remember things differently.

I'd rather C2E than work!

My wife and I saw Orange Market looked dark, but she said the day before she walked past and it was open. I just did a search on Google for their number, and Google has it permanently closed. I thought it had good promise, but the execution was really just a convenience store with a few additions. They did have excellent pecan pie, though.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I bought the most amazing piece of cake there when they first opened... went in 5-6 times walking past hoping to find some amazing cake but each time the display case was empty and I left empty handed. Execution was the problem. They just didn't deliver. Sad cause I really LOVED the piece of chocolate cake I had... but if they don't have any cake for me to buy, what can I do?

C2E Bandwidth Hog

That space has turned into a retailer black hole! I'm amazed that nobody can get anything going on a such prominent corner.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Bandwidth Hog

New bakery, La Boule Patisserie, opening just south of East Whyte
    https://twitter.com/EEDC_BRAD/status/805189939310641154

Brad Ferguson @EEDC_BRAD
    Impeccable design and taste. Congratulations to @laboulebakery on a delicious opening this Tuesday. 8020-100 Street
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

With the bakery on 99 street a few blocks up, this seems like an odd location.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Pawn shop opening in the strip mall at Whyte Ave/107 St. Personally I think that entire strip mall should be bulldozed
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...shop-approvals

C2E SME

It would be nice to see the strip mall transformed to something else that would be directly along the avenue. As for the Cash Canada, yes it is a pawn shop but I actually don't mind them, they have some great deals at their 34 ave location.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    With the bakery on 99 street a few blocks up, this seems like an odd location.
    You can never have too many bakeries! Also, this one is open on Sundays, which is very rare. Hong Kong bakery and Duchess are the only ones I can think of open on Sundays.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    It would be nice to see the strip mall transformed to something else that would be directly along the avenue. As for the Cash Canada, yes it is a pawn shop but I actually don't mind them, they have some great deals at their 34 ave location.
    Top_Dawg agrees.

For pawn shops Cash Canada is as good as it gets.

Although Top_Dawg figgers only a frog would kiss the Cash Canada Pawn Princess.

Definitely last call material.

I went to La Boule Patisserie, and it's delicious! Best almond croissant I've had. My son devoured his chocolate croissant, and the loaf of country bread (a cultured sourdough) I bought is about half gone already. Worth walking in -31 (with windchill) to check out.

They didn't have a whole lot out just after 9, but there still a decent selection. The country loaf came out a bit later, and they plan on having baguettes around 4 so they're fresh to have at dinner. They're going to have some other breads as well (a rye was mentioned), but they're still working on perfecting them.

Oh, it's also 8020 101 st, not 100 st. Brad was off a block, which normally isn't a big deal, but becomes one when it's freaking cold out and you're dragging a 5-year-old around behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg agrees.

For pawn shops Cash Canada is as good as it gets.

Although Top_Dawg figgers only a frog would kiss the Cash Canada Pawn Princess.

Definitely last call material.
    She's got her own page on their website. C'mon Dawg, you'd smash that poodle after a few too many Canadians. Cheaper than the jack shack!
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Bandwidth Hog

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...=1481154872456

A beloved Whyte Avenue music venue that sat vacant for 18 months is back with a fresh look.

The Forge has taken over the 250-person capacity, second-floor facility previously occupied by Pawn Shop Live on 105 Street and 82 Avenue.

Two shows are booked this weekend and a grand opening is slated for mid-January.

Quote Originally Posted by x183 View Post
    On a happier note, I see that the former Gallaghers Pub location east of Mill Creek has reopened under the Brick and Whiskey brand. I have not yet popped in to have a look. I wish these sorts of places would put out a sandwich sign or set up a web site or something. I don't feel I should have to physically check them all out.

I don't think there is anything really new happening on Whyte. By that I mean there has always been lots of businesses closing down and lots of others opening up. I can always remember a good inventory of empty spaces waiting for new tenants to try their luck. Others may remember things differently.
    Gallagher's Pub was a dump. The nail in the coffin was when a man died from a fight outside the bar a year ago. Hopefully the Brick and Whiskey can bring back life to that location similar to the Honest Mur's days.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 08-12-2016 at 01:25 PM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Ah, the photographer was snapping that photo when I was there yesterday... for the second time (I got in trouble for not getting something for my wife on the first visit). The country loaf I bought in the morning was devoured by noon, so I picked up a baguette (around 2), which was finished earlier today. They also had a bunch more stuff out later that wasn't there in the morning, and apparently today they had a couple of personal-sized cakes that weren't there yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Ah, the photographer was snapping that photo when I was there yesterday... for the second time (I got in trouble for not getting something for my wife on the first visit). The country loaf I bought in the morning was devoured by noon, so I picked up a baguette (around 2), which was finished earlier today. They also had a bunch more stuff out later that wasn't there in the morning, and apparently today they had a couple of personal-sized cakes that weren't there yesterday.
    So excited that La Boule has opened in the neighborhood. Bought 2 Spiced Apple Eclairs to share with the family. Had a bit and then decided I wanted to eat them all to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Heh, the article doesn't even include the address. Great journalism.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Bandwidth Hog

For Lease signs are up on the Orange Market space. It's disappointing that such a prominent corner has turned into a retail black hole.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Very odd indeed... would love a place like Leva there.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

For Lease signs are up on the Orange Market space. It's disappointing that such a prominent corner has turned into a retail black hole.
    Isn't that market the only retail that's ever been there? It's always been bars/pubs since it was a bank, I thought.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Whyte ave was like 20% vacant when I walked through before Christmas. A lot of empty space available.

I get the feeling that landlords are out to lunch with asking rates for leases. They want South Common chains with deep pockets, except units are small and the people that go to Whyte want eclectic independent shops. Seems there's a mismatch going on there right now.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ I suspect this is a likely reason:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...ning-Your-City

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Gallagher's Pub was a dump. The nail in the coffin was when a man died from a fight outside the bar a year ago. Hopefully the Brick and Whiskey can bring back life to that location similar to the Honest Mur's days.
    Top_Dawg knows that the owner of Gallagher's had really good intentions but got bogged down by a protracted legal issue shortly after she moved in when she tried to sever ties with her business partner.

After that she was sapped of both energy and resources to do any substantial improvements to the place.

It was a great relief for her when she was finally able to find a buyer who had the wherewithal to close the deal.

Top_Dawg empathizes with her because the original Gallagher's Pub she had at Westmount Village was nothing like the dump on Whyte - it was a pretty nice place.

But as a condition of Rexall agreeing to open a store at Westmount Village, the owner did not renew her lease.

So far, Top_Dawg is impressed with what the owner of the Brick and Whiskey has done.

Traffic does appear to be down but that is only because the crackhead element from Gallagher's and previously Mur's has been cleaned out.

Should be able to build up a good steady client base if it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Whyte ave was like 20% vacant when I walked through before Christmas. A lot of empty space available.
    Yeah, tons of empty spaces on Whyte and probably more coming very soon.

Also Top_Dawg knows of a few businesses that have recently changed ownership with previous owners being just happy to have found buyers - Pourhouse being one of them.

The oil patch paychecks loved Whyte. With that element missing it's hurting.

You are absolutely right Drumbones.

The poodles at O2's told Top_Dawg that the traffic on their rooftop patio this summer was down almost 40% and the fall and winter have been brutal.

In fact many of them have either quit outright to look for greener pastures or tried to pick up extra shifts elsewhere.

The Keg lounge is pretty much empty after 7:30 P.M. when in 2015 it was hard to find a seat even at 9.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I get the feeling that landlords are out to lunch with asking rates for leases. They want South Common chains with deep pockets, except units are small and the people that go to Whyte want eclectic independent shops. Seems there's a mismatch going on there right now.
    Landlords are definitely ignoring the marketplace and market conditions. My shop for example has decided to move because even though we only had moderate sales we were informed that our lease rate will be increased. The fact that there is no anchor other than Safeway now and the next couple years of construction in front of the mall doesn't help, but the rate is still going to go up.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Yeah, now with both the former Sears and Target locations sitting empty it will be very interesting what the future of Bonnie Doon Mall will hold.

On a side note, Top_Dawg recently spotted a Yelp review posted by sylvain h. for Bonnie's Lounge.

It is one of the funniest things Top_Dawg has read in a very long time.

Only because it is so spot on.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/bonnie-doon-...s-bar-edmonton
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 02-01-2017 at 11:16 AM.

You are absolutely right Drumbones.

The poodles at O2's told Top_Dawg that the traffic on their rooftop patio this summer was down almost 40% and the fall and winter have been brutal.

In fact many of them have either quit outright to look for greener pastures or tried to pick up extra shifts elsewhere.

The Keg lounge is pretty much empty after 7:30 P.M. when in 2015 it was hard to find a seat even at 9.
    While it does seem slower, many other factors in play here:

1. O2's leaving its main floor meant FAR less walk-by 'hey let's go in'.
    2. There are many more interesting options around whyte for drinks and certainly for food.
    3. Oil boys are down
    4. Downtown has been drawing more post-secondary to its options
    5. Keg is a bit tired it seems from folks I know who used to be regulars; better options.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Landlords are definitely ignoring the marketplace and market conditions. My shop for example has decided to move because even though we only had moderate sales we were informed that our lease rate will be increased. The fact that there is no anchor other than Safeway now and the next couple years of construction in front of the mall doesn't help, but the rate is still going to go up.
    Where are you moving All Star to? The Dr Who fans of my acquaintance wanna know!

This thread gets top marks for the mentions of Bonnie's and Honest Muir's. Five stars.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Did anyone know there's a relatively new live venue on Whyte and 96 St named The Sewing Machine Factory? I believe it's in the basement below the Mill Creek Cafe.
    https://www.facebook.com/TheSewingMachineFactory/

I had no idea. Interesting stuff.

It took over the used bookstore space?

Yeah the show space has been there for a few months and there have been some really good and interesting shows there when they opened.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I think Fluevlog Shoes is moving to Whyte Ave in the Beljan Block?

Also, is it correct that a separate space is for lease with primary alley access?

C2E Posting Power

a
    Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Moving from where? Don't have one yet

They are leasing that space, correct.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

El Cortez owners to open another restaurant this summer
    http://ow.ly/mnCc308nQSc

All awesome news, thanks! Fluevlog will be a great addition to the diversity and destination retail on Whyte.

Fluevog wanted the owner of Gravity Pope to open a store in WEM. I don't know if that ever happened. This could be the same idea?

Same idea?

GP Doing a Fluevog store, but on Whyte.

Fluevog is a great addition. Can't wait to see what they have.

Probably what they've had for decades, but more of it.

https://www.gravitypope.com/collections/fluevog

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Probably what they've had for decades, but more of it.

https://www.gravitypope.com/collections/fluevog
    What are you getting at? Gravity Pope is a middle man...who sells many brands- Fluevog being one of them. A Fluevog branded store would ONLY sell Fluevog's. So do you know if we are getting a Fluvog branded store on Whyte?

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ The more trusted sources are saying as such.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    They are leasing that space, correct.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Also looks like a new Remedy is coming to Whyte Ave
    http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...in-future.html

Personally I think the current Whyte Ave location near 103 St is too small, so I hope this is a relocation.

Expect a MUCH larger one
    www.decl.org

Assuming they are closing the smaller location and moving to one of the bigger empty retail spaces on Whyte? Makes sense. I can't imagine a 3rd cafe in the neighbourhood.

I wonder if they'll move into the space beside malt and mortar, it is just a stones throw away from their current whyte ave location and plenty big.

^its a nice space and quite big so that fits with them wanting a larger space. It may even be too big.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I think it's a right size. The original Remedy in Garneau is huge now, ever since they expanded into the old video rental shop space.

Spudly, Fluevlog is it's own store, like in Van or Montreal. I just wanted to know if it was pending or actually solid. Glad it's solid. Agree Remedy could use another space as big as Garneau. I know the 103st one on Jasper was regularily packed. I think more people are going for food than just a drink.

Spudly, Fluevlog is it's own store, like in Van or Montreal. I just wanted to know if it was pending or actually solid.
    Errr yup. Got my first pair in Montreal 30ish years ago. And it's Fluevog (only one "l").

I love my 'vogs, even if the quality isn't what it once was. Even got married in a pair last summer.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Happily ignoring the ignorant rather than getting in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents. Proudly banned from SSP.

Top_Dawg never heard of them.

After checking the web, they look to Top_Dawg like prancer shoes for royal gaylords.

But to each their own.

Top_Dawg you seem to know a lot about gay stuff. Are you in denial or something?

Nope.

Just Top_Dawg's casual observations.

Nope.

Just Top_Dawg's casual observations.
    They do seem to be anti-gay-centric though. I thought we'd all left that behind in grammar school.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The new Remedy on Whyte is going in to a new development, not an existing space.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Innovative Portuguese footwear brand galibelle (spelled with a lowercase ‘g’) has opened its first Canadian boutique on Whyte Ave
    http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...17/2/galibelle

Once me and my friend were at the fluevog store in Vancouver when there was only the one on granville street. So my friend picks up a shoe and goes what was he thinking this is so ugly, or something to that affect, and i go um and point, standing behind him in the doorway of the backroom was mr fluevog himself. I kinda laughed my friend cringed.

Innovative Portuguese footwear brand galibelle (spelled with a lowercase ‘g’) has opened its first Canadian boutique on Whyte Ave
    http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...17/2/galibelle
    The concept seems interesting, but i wonder if the constant changing of choice would weaken them and make them slip off a lot. That would get annoying.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Looks like FC Edmonton is opening a fan shop in the old American Apparel location. This is a huge acquisition for the club.

That's awesome...include a small pub for catching the games too!
    www.decl.org

I don't think they could open a pub there, could they? Isn't there a moratorium on liquor licenses in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    Looks like FC Edmonton is opening a fan shop in the old American Apparel location. This is a huge acquisition for the club.
    I noticed that too when I went by there earlier today. I think that is a great idea and nice to see something local on Whyte Ave rather than an international chain.

I think Whyte Ave needs to get back to its roots a bit and all the vacant space may be an opportunity for more local businesses an organizations. I suspect the landlords in the area must be getting to the point where they realize too much greed is not the way to go in this economy.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ I'll just repost this:

Blame the Banks for All Those Boring Chain Stores Ruining Your City

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...ning-Your-City

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I don't think they could open a pub there, could they? Isn't there a moratorium on liquor licenses in the area?
    Thank goodness. The last thing we need is more places for people to get drunk in public.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Happily ignoring the ignorant rather than getting in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents. Proudly banned from SSP.

LOL
    www.decl.org

A snapshot of alcohol's impacts on Canadians:

• In 2002, 4,258 deaths in Canada were related to alcohol abuse, representing 1.9% of all deaths.
    • Costs related to alcohol in Canada equalled approximately $14.6 billion in 2002.
    • From April 2013 to March 2014, $20.5 billion worth of alcohol was sold in Canada.
    • In 2008, impaired driving was the leading cause of criminal death in Canada.
    • Among psychoactive drugs, alcohol-related disorders were the top cause of hospitalizations in Canada in 2011.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...on-canada.html

Yeah, we need to encourage more drinking.

On the eve of the 17th, blasphemy!
    www.decl.org

Completely slipped my mind. As a non-Irish, non-Catholic, non-drinker it's just another Friday for me. And given your proclivity to booze it up I'm sure it'll be a regular Friday for you too, more or less.

Enjoy!
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow, I bet he is a blast at parties
    Last edited by Hilman; 16-03-2017 at 03:57 PM.

good for watching the coat room

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Completely slipped my mind. As a non-Irish, non-Catholic, non-drinker it's just another Friday for me. And given your proclivity to booze it up I'm sure it'll be a regular Friday for you too, more or less.
    So new drinkers are bad? Wow - what a tea-toteling mormon you are. Enjoy your Root beer. I spend your annual salary on single malt scotch in a month......

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    So new drinkers are bad? Wow - what a tea-toteling mormon you are. Enjoy your Root beer. I spend your annual salary on single malt scotch in a month......
    As someone who lives in the area I would prefer new businesses that were not bars too. Sometimes Whyte Ave can feel like a mile long frat house, which might be fun if you are visiting but not so much if you live in the area. I don't mind some bars, but too much of anything is no good.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Do we seriously have to devolve every thread into personal griping? Come on people
    Ow

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't noodle on the Yay side during the Great 4th St Mega-Bar Debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post

Wow, I bet he is a blast at parties
    Buzz looks a bit like Brian Mulroney

So-o-o.....

Who's the moronski ?

Hahaha. Congrats, you've got a drinking problem severe enough it's seemed to have had some detrimental effects on your logic & math centres of your brain! WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!! Unless you're really putting back a million+ a year on hooch.

Thanks for being a textbook example of how alcohol affects people

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't noodle on the Yay side during the Great 4th St Mega-Bar Debate?
    I was on the "anti-NIMBYs" side, which happened to align with the "pro-bar" side.

Ian was himself very concerned about the proliferation of easy access to booze when it suited his rhetoric & classist urbanism (see the discussions about a liquor store in Cromdale on SSP).
    Last edited by noodle; 17-03-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Hahaha. Congrats, you've got a drinking problem severe enough it's seemed to have had some detrimental effects on your logic & math centres of your brain! WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!! Unless you're really putting back a million+ a year on hooch.

Thanks for being a textbook example of how alcohol affects people
    Noodle, your income is pretty good. Or is that in another currency?

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Do we seriously have to devolve every thread into personal griping? Come on people
    Yes.

^$1m per year = salary per month. Before/ after tax not specified, benefits and investment income not included. That's what I read.

A lot of people spend stupid amounts on alcohol. Really stupid, sometimes.
    There can only be one.

^ It's my annual gross salary, including bonus but not benefits, multiplied by 12.

^ It's my annual gross salary, including bonus but not benefits, multiplied by 12.

You have a 12 yr contract or something?

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    You have a 12 yr contract or something?
    What have I said that would lead you to make such a bizarre assumption/inference?

Maclac made a poor attempt (pun intended) at trying to insult me (yet again) by attempting to insinuate I'm some sort of pauper making a fallacious comparison to his monthly alcohol consumption and my annual salary. I responded utilizing his own comparison extrapolated to an annual period of alcohol consumption, as it led to a nice, relatively round number that illustrated just how terrible his initial attempt at a schoolyard-level insult truly was.

Sooooooo.... back to the thread about Vacant Spaces on Whyte...

I'm guessing that medical building slated for the old Shell station on 100 st is dead? There's been absolutely no movement on the site for awhile, and they're still using it as a dumping group for soil from elsewhere.

Job No 243463903-001
    Description: To change the Use of a General Retail Store to a Restaurant and to construct interior alterations
    Plan 0822029 Unit 3
    10403 - 83 AVENUE NW
    Condo Common Area (Plan 0822029)
    Applicant: RETROFIT DESIGN LTD
    Create Date: 3/16/2017 10:50:48 AM

That corner could sure use another awesome patio, overlooking Gazebo Park. Very wide sidewalks for patio (three continuous patios) or even taking over a parking space on the street. If Southside Memorial Chapel was a mixed-use building 83ave and Gavebo park would be a great node.

There's a place called "Snowy Desserts" opening up beside the Japanese restaurant across from the Roots building. It's taking the other corner unit that faces Whyte (and the old train tracks). The sign just says "Opening Soon"

The thread on future of former Kit&Ace building at 10428 82 Avenue: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...593#post818593

What did that development put beside its long fence along the sidewalk? Is it bare or treed? Interesting to see how businesses and that segment of street does.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Edmonton's first permanent cat cafe opening up
    The storefront at Whyte Ave and 101 Street launches March 30, with six resident kittens and locally roasted ACE coffee.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...=1490329023020

Vivian Deng and Fei Xie are opening Cat Café on Whyte, Edmonton’s first permanent opportunity to pet a cat while you sip a latte, next week. The storefront at Whyte Ave and 101 Street launches March 30, with six resident kittens and locally roasted ACE coffee.

The thing that jumped out at me was this:

The entry fee will be $15, which includes one hot or cold drink. Edmontonians will be able to enjoy hour-long visits from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and potentially even later on weekends.
    So... $15 and you get to spend an hour in there with a hot/cold drink? That seems extremely expensive, and makes an outing there into something that would happen once every 6-12 months, just for the novelty. I wish them well, but I don't think that's going to be very viable. How do cat cafes work in other parts of the world?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast