Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738
Results 3,701 to 3,786 of 3786

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Haven't ever been to Characters, even though it's but two blocks away. The layout looks dated though, and looking at the menu - probably go to Normands instead anyway.
    hahaha oh man. Has normans been renovated once in the last 40 years??? That place is old and dated. I'm pretty sure the menu hadn't changed in 2 years between my visits there.

Characters was awesome and have enjoyed many date nights there but the last couple visits have seemed super mediocre there. Makes sense to see them sell.
    Part of the lure of classic restaurants is that the menu DOES NOT significantly change. A little bit less of nouveau cuisine and fusion crap is a blessing.

Similarly I wouldn't go to Continental Treat and expect all new menu.

btw got a laugh at this from the Characters Fine Dining website; ( I guess it doesn't apply anymore)

Bear in mind that brains & learning, like muscle & physical skills, are articles of commerce: You can hire them by the hour or by the year. The only thing in the world not for sale is Character.

Normand's.

Classic.

True story.

Many years ago Top_Dawg's ol' lady at the time dragged him out to a small dinner party there.

The kind Top_Dawg absolutely abhors.

Sit there for two hours + listening to two other couples desperately trying to convince Top_Dawg of how great, how wonderful, how interesting, how awesome, how sophisticated they are.

And of course some doofus at the neighboring table orders mussels.

They bring out his dish.

And the putrid stench stinks up the entire restaurant.
    Enough to make Top_Dawg retch.

Top_Dawg never went back.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    i’m not sure why you sanctimoniously think it doesn’t apply anymore. they sold/closed a business named characters, they didn’t compromise or sell out their character in doing so (and didn’t sell the name). in the 20 years shon has operated the business, he has conducted himself and the business with good character when it comes to suppliers, staff and customers. sometimes you need to take a step back and give your character/persona a break (or give us a break from it ).

Really ?

Interesting take.

Top_Dawg has spoken to many former employees and none have had anything good to say.

The owner and his multi-millionaire father who continually subsidized the place to keep it afloat are both referred to by many in the industry as a couple of pompous, arrogant, supercilious, full of themselves cornholios.

Then again, Top_Dawg can clearly understand why you so cherish said qualities.

And accusing someone else of sanctimony.

Absolutely priceless.

Like Top_Dawg said.

He loves these little ironies.

Last edited by Top_Dawg; 13-12-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

really? you hardly know me outside of my name and i don't even know that about you.

Absolutely priceless.
    i can accept that.

Like Top_Dawg said.

i'm not sure you'd recognize irony if it was swimming in your dish but then again i don't even know you outside of the third party drivel you post.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Deleted

Best that I just bite my tongue.
    Last edited by KC; 13-12-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Nothing really special about it, but love taking out-of-town guests to La Ronde in the Chateau Lacombe for Sunday brunch.

Fare is good, not great. Service though is usually great.

But it's truly priceless when they go to the biffy and you just know they'll get hopelessly lost trying to get back ....
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

really? you hardly know me outside of my name and i don't even know that about you.

Absolutely priceless.
    i can accept that.

Like Top_Dawg said.

i'm not sure you'd recognize irony if it was swimming in your dish but then again i don't even know you outside of the third party drivel you post.

But Ken, this didn't stop you of accusing me of sanctimony when I was obviously making a pun. You don't know me either. You claim to know what I am like in a lot of your responses. You condescended to Dawg as well. In the exchange he was defending me from your unsolicited latest barbs. Which I like to think are playful attempts but cross into range where its your comments that should be called out.

You did accept that part though so that is understood.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-12-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

As per Normands I just go to the Citadel location. Don't like the one on Jasper which feels cramped and stuffy. At Citadel its a nice open space. They don't serve the smellier mussels as it would go wafting through the whole theatre. Its a pretty open air restaurant space, its not really enclosed at all.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^Dad and his son-in-law's Dad, in their 70's or so - and having lived a long life of meat eating ...

pronounced steak at Normands the best they'd ever had. (and steak and potatoes were their mainstay and both were country boys)

And, I'm talking cow-steak, not the wild meat they offer.

BTW, I have no shares or financial interest in the place - nor have been there for several years.

But, for a place just west of a gasoline station - pretty effin amazing for me.

Oh, and family here for XMAS, not open XMAS Eve, but recommended another pretty great place, with a perfectly sized private dining room with a view of the Ledge XMAS lights.

That'd be the sadly departed Copper Plate. Damn.
    ... gobsmacked

I'm not a big-$$$ spender for Fine dining, but when I am, my prime pick is LaRonde, because 1) it's Fine Dining enough for me, and 2) THE VIEW. I've spent $$$ in places like Hardware Grill and other FD places, but great as the food is it's generally served within nice walls, perhaps with a view if one is near a window and there's a view worth having. But for me the best FD bang for my intermittent bucks for it is a room where every seat has a view and the view is always great (except for the Edmonton House bit).
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

^ Said extremely well!
    ... gobsmacked

Laronde is a decent selection but a bit overpriced. Plus its a revolving view of Edmonton.

Whenever we go to Vancouver we go to the Top of Vancouver Or Cloud nine revolving restaurant at least one. Spectacular view, more affordable prices, and the windows are downward and so you can lean out and look straight down from your seat. A spectacular experience, Laronde is a pale imitation of it.

ps Just noted that Cloud nine in Vancouver is sadly closed. we had wonderful experiences in there.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-12-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Pricey yes, but I don't mind. Doesn't go in circles, but if we're talking other cities, Smith Tower Bar in Seattle rocks all. https://www.smithtower.com/observatory-and-bar.php

But, I love that La Ronde has an almost unprecedented view of the NSR valley and despite avoiding it for years thinking taller buildings ruined the view - went back ...

And discovered no - view is actually even better. (Well, yes, except Edm. House).
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I really like it. I remember being on a class trip as a kid. We were in queen elizabeth park for a picnic when the teacher pointed out to the class the new chateau lacombe under construction. Always think of that when I go there. Now that’s a year or two ago. lol

C2E Long Term Contributor

Our office went to Bundok last week and it was delicious.

https://twitter.com/iamtracyhyatt/st...03384481849344
    @iamtracyhyatt
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Tried out DOSC's dinner menu for the first time last night with the parents. Between the three of us we had the (non-wagyu) rib eye, short rib, fries, broccoli, gnocchi, and kale cabbage. All was very good, and $110 including 3 drinks but prior to gratuity seemed quite reasonable. Service was also very good. The place seemed fairly busy, too, which was good to see, Probably 80% capacity. But that included the Oilers pre-game crowd. Hopefully the place is doing well, as both my visits so far have been quite good.

Let's Grill on Jasper/107st last night for some Izakaya. We tried 9 dishes, all were tasty, but I had hoped for a couple of standout. Definitely brought me back to my trips to Japan and the many Izakaya we went to. Such a fun place to go after work with a larger group for snacks and drinks.

http://www.letsgrillsushiizakaya.com

Spicy juicy beef Kushi
    Pork belly Kushi
    Agedashi tofu
    Tako Yaki
    Chicken Karaage
    Unagi Don
    House roll - tuna/salmon/shrimp/fish eggs
    Soy paper TNT - crab/avocada/shrip/fish eggs
    Crunchy spicy tuna

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1078884920620007425
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Ian, I sent you a sketch of you and a companion listening to a waiter that someone drew while you were out one night. Perhaps you can share it the people here?

Haha...
    www.decl.org

For me a restaurant must have good food AND value. If it is good food but very expensive it's off my list.

www.decl.org

Bundock for my birthday this week, didn't disappoint. Gnocci is amazing, service very prompt. Fully booked for a Tuesday.
    www.decl.org

Currywurst, brat, schnitzel, and properly sized beers.

http://www.haus-falkenstein.ca
    www.decl.org

Went to the wildflower grill in earlier January. Never been before, it was our anniversary dinner and we always try a new-to-us non-chain restaurant each year.
    The space is definitely dated - the booths need to be reupholstered, decor is 15-20 yrs old.
    We were literally the only people in the restaurant our entire meal. Had to ask the waiter/manager to turn the music on as it was eerie without any. Food was very good from starters right through to desserts. They closed up when we left at 8p.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Went to the wildflower grill in earlier January. Never been before, it was our anniversary dinner and we always try a new-to-us non-chain restaurant each year.
    The space is definitely dated - the booths need to be reupholstered, decor is 15-20 yrs old.
    We were literally the only people in the restaurant our entire meal. Had to ask the waiter/manager to turn the music on as it was eerie without any. Food was very good from starters right through to desserts. They closed up when we left at 8p.
    Wow. Typical of how transient the Restaurant scene often is. For a decade or so Wildflower was hitting home runs and had bookings only times and turning em away. Was that a Weekend night you were there? Was the food any good still?

...keep in mind that there was new ownership a few years ago.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Currywurst, brat, schnitzel, and properly sized beers.

http://www.haus-falkenstein.ca
    As a person of German heritage I find that plate and presentation somewhat repulsive. Did they even deep fry and bread the brat? This is like a fast food version of German food from the looks of it.

Nor are Fried croquettes standard German fare, anywhere. "Deep fried perfection" Gross, those like like 3 times deep fried and dead. Try spaetzle or home made potato dumplings. That is more typical fare, or home made German warm or cold potato salad (not the Reeser garbage sold here)

Nor would any german throw a side of plain lettuce on a plate and serve that way. More typically in anycase an accompaniment of Red Cabbage, Swiss chard or some other vegetable serving would be on the plate.

Reading the menu they make it sound like this is standard German fare. It sounds and looks not so great. Like a Chuck E cheese version of German food.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-02-2019 at 02:18 PM.

...keep in mind that there was new ownership a few years ago.
    Ahh, that's too bad. Didn't know of the change and haven't been in years. Apparently its a miss now.

I prefer plain schnitzel and sauces on the side, but everything was delicious.
    www.decl.org

I prefer plain schnitzel and sauces on the side, but everything was delicious.
    Yeah, the sauce looked interesting and the chef said on their website they had trouble getting it right but landed on some that are working good. Too much reliance on deep fried food though and that is atypical German preparation. Pan fried is, and they should stick to that. But nothing beats good german potato dumplings, potato salad or red cabbbage though as sides.

Being that Schnitzel and Brat tend to be on the heavy side, German fare typically features sides that balance with healthy vegetable servings. That is missing from their plates from what I can gather from the menu and pictures.

Would be like going Chinese and only getting deep fried fare and nothing healthy.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-02-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Is it supposed to be “authentic” (whatever that is) German food?

Moreover I understand that it is now good to avoid cultural appropriation.

Traditional Chinese Food Is Very Different From Restaurant Chinese Food | HuffPost Canada

“As famed Chinese chef Ming Tsai, who is based in Massachusetts, once said in an interview with CNN, "Chinese-American cuisine is "dumbed-down" Chinese food. It's adapted for the wrong reasons, to be blander, thicker and sweeter for the American public." We can only imagine the same holds true for Chinese-Canadian food.

Of course, we're not saying these dishes aren't delicious (because anyone who's eaten General Tso Chicken knows that's a bald-faced lie), and we're also not saying Chinese people wouldn't eat them themselves. But the fact is, they aren't the real deal.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/0...n_4687460.html
    Last edited by KC; 01-02-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Is it supposed to be “authentic” (whatever that is) German food?

Moreover I understand that it is now good to avoid cultural appropriation.

Traditional Chinese Food Is Very Different From Restaurant Chinese Food | HuffPost Canada

“As famed Chinese chef Ming Tsai, who is based in Massachusetts, once said in an interview with CNN, "Chinese-American cuisine is "dumbed-down" Chinese food. It's adapted for the wrong reasons, to be blander, thicker and sweeter for the American public." We can only imagine the same holds true for Chinese-Canadian food.

Of course, we're not saying these dishes aren't delicious (because anyone who's eaten General Tso Chicken knows that's a bald-faced lie), and we're also not saying Chinese people wouldn't eat them themselves. But the fact is, they aren't the real deal.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/0...n_4687460.html
    The menu and website is loaded with reference to what Germans eat in different parts of the country and that the food is all authentic. I've never heard of German croquettes before. It might be a newer thing in Germany and popular now but its more common in Bavaria or Austria apparently. The Frikadellen they serve at this restaurant is also not traditional as described. It is a food in Germany but made differently and often with Seafood like a Tuna or Salmon (canned works fine), prepared with lemon, ground mustard, parsley, pepper, mash potatoes and mashed together and made into cakes and then fried in a pan. That's how we always had it and it was delicious and nutritional and not laden in fat and calories like a lot of what is on this menu. Making this dish with ground beef or pork is basically making a hamburger or sausage of it. Why not have the authentic, and unique version that is much more interesting?

Currywurst is also not a traditional German food in the slightest. It was introduced from American soldiers bringing curry and ketchup in rations and some German woman figuring she should throw it on sausages and somehow that abortion of a dish caught on. I never ever heard about it until today. Its like saying Ketchup on a hot dog is a national dish. Also, I've never met one German, ever, that prefers to serve dinners with white bread. lmao.

The restaurant also uses canned mushrooms and Kraft cheese slices as "Cheese." Oh my... I was bang on with the Chuck E Cheese description.

In anycase Chinese food establishments quite often do distinguish whether they are Western Chinese food or Authentic and or both and with menu items often indicating which dishes are authentic and from where in China.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-02-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Haven't stopped into The Underground in quite some time. They have a good beer selection, prices are reasonable, food was always passable, the service straight forward and the location worked.

Last night we stopped in for a pre-date drink but had to leave because of the overwhelming odour - like one giant urinal puck. The place was near empty. It reeked like they were trying to cover up some other bad smell. Is there something wrong with that building? Yikes.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Jeez, I don't like the sound of that. And I was just thinking the other day that I haven't popped in there in years and should check its pulse...
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

C2E Continued Contributor

You sure it wasn't the scent of Drakkar Noir? For some reason that's what I smell "in my head" when I drive by and picture myself sitting in there accidentally.....

Good one - definite possibility. Like they had mopped up someone's urine with Drakkar and ammonia.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'll stick with my Innes & Gunn Honey Ale thanks.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Great work by Edmonton Tourism.

Mall is great, festivals even more so. But when we travel, it's for neither - it's for the city as a whole.

Damn, San Diego beckons again ....
    ... gobsmacked

misquoted "ICE District" but other that, great article
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Ate at Panini's Italian Cucina on the end of Jasper in one of the Edgewater tower's podium. Probably some of the most reasonably priced dine-in food I've had in awhile. Built my own pasta and it came out to $12~ and was flat out delicious and perfectly portioned. I would certainly recommend anyone giving this place a try if you are in the area. Cute spot.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    Ate at Panini's Italian Cucina on the end of Jasper in one of the Edgewater tower's podium. Probably some of the most reasonably priced dine-in food I've had in awhile. Built my own pasta and it came out to $12~ and was flat out delicious and perfectly portioned. I would certainly recommend anyone giving this place a try if you are in the area. Cute spot.
    I second this. nice little spot.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Meuwly's yesterday to grab a sandwich for lunch. Tried their Real Deihl Sub. Amazing, simply amazing. Fresh made focaccia bread with a selection of their own Italian meats, banana peppers and sauces. I could have it every day. Highly recommended.
    www.decl.org

Had lunch at the downtown Pasta Amore today. Got in before the lineup started. Service was brisk but friendly. The Italiano was delicious although I chose to leave aside the zucchini. Washed it down with an Amoreicano, which was good.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^^Believe it or not, their veggie sandwich is also top-notch. While I usually opt for either the Real Deihl or another meat-based option, my wife gets the veggie everytime, and I always steal a bite or two. It's amazing.

Really enjoyed my lunch and first impressions of Al Centro (Jasper/99st) today.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1098683533411799040
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Walked by Aarde tonight and the windows are all covered with a “permanently closed” sign on the door. That was quick! Bad luck for the last few tenants in that space..

If you haven't tried a Brekkie at the Wired Cup now would be the time. Closing June 1.

https://www.facebook.com/the-Wired-Cup-73315093753/

^^ Yeah. Interesting concept that, as the judges on Chopped like to say, "never came together."
    ... gobsmacked

Went by El Maraiachi on 124th Sta. Food was quite good, costs were reasonable. Service quite slow. And they di not try to up sell desert. Api came last. But the food was good. If I had a choice between this and La Patrone in Sherwood Park I will make the drive to the park.

Chartier has found their new head Chef. Tony Krouse. Formerly Executive Chef at Privada (ST Albert) and Revel.

Popped into Holt's Cafe for lunch.

Truth be told, I have never been to this place before and I've been living in downtown for decades. Mostly that's due to the fact that the restaurant is hidden away deep within Holt Renfrew and is only visible by office security. However for the past few years they've been posting their lunch specials just outside in the Manulife Place pedway. I went by there once a few months ago but the hostess ignored me, so after standing there for 10 minutes I finally left. This time I was seated immediately. The decor was your typical modern hotel lounge albeit small in size. The staff were awesome. The food was quite good but not awesome. Coffee was delicious. The patrons were mostly business types and middle-aged women. I'll go again if they have an enticing special that's too good to pass up.

Sushi Wasabi again tonight.

Simply put, as good as I have anywhere else I travel including Van, SF, Seattle, Japan, HK.
    www.decl.org

From what Top_Dawg has sampled ' sushi ' and ' good ' are the ultimate oxymoronski.

Canned kibble and tuna ain't quite the same thing.

Happy to introduce you to something better if you like.
    www.decl.org

The pure genius that is Hawkeyes.

Wonton soup + BBQ chicken pizza.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1123665537576394753
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I haven't been in Hawkeye's since the '80's when they were in the basement by the old Paramount theater across from Scotia Place. Yes I'm that old.

^

Yup, that was Hawkeye's in the ol' Epcor building.

And the movieplex was Capitol Theaters - not Paramount.

Ol' cornholski is talking about Hawkeye's Too.

On 102 Street.

Great place.

Especially when ol' Mary is working.

Wen she's not it's pretty hit and miss.

Mostly miss.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks for filling me in the details. I should have just said across the street from Scotia place.

Headed over to Cibo in Oliver Square last night, wow! Some of the best pasta that I have ever had and fantastic service.
    www.decl.org

Tiffin for lunch. Pretty tasty!
    www.decl.org

The space looks amazing!
    www.decl.org

District on 109st/100ave for a wee sandy and wow, delish.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1132015537523789824
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

*mouth full* no *mouth full*

Say Uncle... 104st

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1132074048433733633
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Tried Speedy's for a burrito. It was a decent burrito but nothing remarkable, really, which is fairly surprising given the historical quality of Nate Box's offerings. With a super limited menu, I don't see myself going out of my way to return. I miss Elm.

Went by TZin Saturday after the Winspear. Only get here once a year by always have a pleasant time and great meal.Gotta have the Bacon. and the seafood Papaya was incredible. No wine because I drank way to much earlier in the day. but with desert and a tip. $58.00 for the 2 of us.

I went to Amber Cafe and Restaurant just north of 102 ave on 114 street with my folks on Sunday. I enjoyed my butter chicken, and my folks enjoyed their pasta. The place was pretty dead, so I'm not sure if is going to survive in its current location. Its a pity, as the space is laid out pretty nice, with a coffee shop section and restaurant section ; you'd never know it was the old Gas Pump.

You'd think that Top Dawg would have stumbled in there by accident.

Amber Café looks fugly. What the heck is going on there. Shiny floor finishes reminiscent of waxed linoleum, Bowling Alley "décor". drop ceiling tiles (oh lord).

If this was the staff cafeteria at a chemical plant it would get negative reviews on the look.

Plus,,,is that a Karaoke booth? Don't encourage the minions in that area.

Tims high stools outsourced? What creature comfort..

What a visual nightmare. If this is some new urban chic kind of design they can have it.

Gotta laugh at the picture of "say uncle" as well. The new social behavior. Go out to a social place and stare at your cellphone while your partner is sitting right there.

Plus what is that? Early lumberjack cool? Take out your worst grey T shirt and jeans and lumberjack gear and go out. Dress it up with a floral baseball cap.

No establishment says class more than 90% ratty T shirts worn.

C2E SME

Say Uncle could sure stand to spend some time updating their social media and web presence. Their Facebook page is basically blank; even the "About" section has nothing in it. And that's basically the only search return if you Google "Say Uncle". It would take all of 15 minutes to add some information to their Facebook page, claim their Google listing, and put even the most basic of information on the web about it. At this point, there is quite literally zero information online on what the place is, their hours, menu, etc. That's not a good indication that it's a well run business doing everything it can to guarantee it's success. Marketing and word of mouth is so important for this kind of a business, it always blows my mind when it's quite obvious that little or no effort is spent on them. A perfect concept will go out of business if no one knows about it.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 29-05-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Gotta laugh at the picture of "say uncle" as well. The new social behavior. Go out to a social place and stare at your cellphone while your partner is sitting right there.

Plus what is that? Early lumberjack cool? Take out your worst grey T shirt and jeans and lumberjack gear and go out. Dress it up with a floral baseball cap.

No establishment says class more than 90% ratty T shirts worn.
    Great. Now post a picture of yourself for everyone to roast.

French75, Escargots, greens, bison risotto, entrecote, wild boar belly, scallops and some ridiculous Bordeaux at The Marc.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1134296910196400128
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Bianco RHW earlier tonight for a cocktail, amazing spot, great design, can't wait to grab a bite.
    www.decl.org

I don't love 730am meetings, but DOSC made up for the early hour.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1134473953290756097
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Popped by Two Sergeants last night. Beer was decent, and the carpaccio was very good. Decor/ambiance is absolutely terrible, though. It's just really poorly done. I sat at the wood and my feet were going numb because the bar stools don't have a comfortable rung to place your feet on (the two rungs are either too high or too low). They have the kitchen open with nothing blocking the view in to it, and it's not exactly a shiny Earls kitchen. They should cover that up or obscure the sight line somehow.

Service was so-so, as well. Given there were only half a dozen other people in the place, I was kind of surprised by that. It sort of reminded me of Woodwork, whose service I describe as "Hipster haughty". Not to the same extent, but similar. When I asked for the bill, I was handed the debit machine with the amount input (quick mental math seemed to make sense), but no bill. And most bizarrely, after I ordered a flight and the carpaccio to tide me over while waiting for my friends to arrive, I was told that they'd be closing at 8pm because of the smoke. I got there at 6:30. The first thing I should have been told when I sat down was that they were closing in 90 minutes.

I'd long heard great things about Two Sergeants' beer, and based on last night that might be well earned. But they need some help on how to run a food establishment, it seems.

Ended up meeting with my buds at Odd Company instead. Beer was quite good there, decor/ambiance a mile better. Didn't try any food, and they have a very limited menu anyway. It was quite busy. I'll definitely give both places another shot.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 31-05-2019 at 11:59 AM.

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Ended up meeting with my buds at Odd Company instead. Beer was quite good there, decor/ambiance a mile better. Didn't try any food, and they have a very limited menu anyway. It was quite busy. I'll definitely give both places another shot.
    Odd Company appears to be doing killer business so far. Their food menu is really limited but it's pretty good for what it is. I wish it wasn't closed three days a week, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Say Uncle could sure stand to spend some time updating their social media and web presence. Their Facebook page is basically blank; even the "About" section has nothing in it. And that's basically the only search return if you Google "Say Uncle". It would take all of 15 minutes to add some information to their Facebook page, claim their Google listing, and put even the most basic of information on the web about it. At this point, there is quite literally zero information online on what the place is, their hours, menu, etc. That's not a good indication that it's a well run business doing everything it can to guarantee it's success. Marketing and word of mouth is so important for this kind of a business, it always blows my mind when it's quite obvious that little or no effort is spent on them. A perfect concept will go out of business if no one knows about it.

agreed ^ this is a pet peeve of mine!

I don't love 730am meetings, but DOSC made up for the early hour.

Early hour ?

Talk about royal dogfuckers.

By 7:30 Top_Dawg's got three hours in.

What can Top_Dawg say.

Those who can - do.
    Those who can't - meet. And eat, 'parently.

Enjoyed it. Nice add to the choices around RHW. Once patio is open that will be a nice final piece.

Something most normally don't say, but I will for my first visit; portion size was too large

Looks great

GyuKaku Japanese BBQ is now open on Jasper/104st in the Cecil Building and it will be taking a lot of my money.

https://twitter.com/DBAyeg/status/1138614527002460164
    www.decl.org

Love the new Filistix at 107st/100Ave. Didn't know what to expect, but has a great atmosphere, good cocktails and beers, and the food is fantastic. Glad to see it's open 7 days a week for brunch, lunch and dinner. I hope it is popular, great addition to the area.

Their take on caesar salad using fermented shrimp paste. Very good!

XO fried rice and rotisserie chicken

https://twitter.com/chrisbuyze/statu...82193962463232
    www.decl.org

Uccellino - Tagliatelle L’Ancetre Butter, Sage & Grana

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1154242784976441344
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Undercooked pasta on a bed of butter ?

There....there... just are no words.