Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shanghai prepares for Expo 2010

Cisco (what that is I don`t know)

Cisco (what that is I don`t know)

Theme Pavilion

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 28-03-2010 at 07:04 PM.

South Korea first one is ROK corporate pavilion

World Meteorological pavilion

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 28-03-2010 at 07:29 PM.

General Motors

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 28-03-2010 at 07:32 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

That sure is a lot for an "irrelevant" event.
    Strathcona City Separatist

one of these two was chosen for Sichuan Province

China Power I assume (state grid)

Ok thats all I can find..

make sure you check out the 100+ photos posted on page one too...

Ok moa so I counted all the Photos apx 200 posted.. since a picture is worth 1000 words.. I would like a 200,000 word essay on why expo is irrelevant.

Thanks.

^the photos tell the story, all the money spent on those "buildings", do you really think South Campus lands would be better with that crap sprawled all over it? I don't.

Then you don't understand how Expo works do ya

Some of those buildings are great. Thanks for posting the pics.

I still maintain the ones at the top are butt ugly, as are some of the other ones. And I suspect some of the photos were from very early in the process - either that, or landscaping isn't a consideration.

We could do a whole lot better, I'm sure. Please, not a giant moose building.

My personal interest leans more toward cutting edge technologies and inventions. That's what really excites me about the event. I hope, if we get it, we can come up with a defining invention or two that might be tied to our fair burg.

Like the "Copenhagen Wheel", developed by MIT and the City of Copenhagen, that came out of the recent environmental conference on climate change in, you guessed it, Copenhagen. And I remember hearing about 3D sound in the 70's that someone experienced at the World's Fair in Chicago (I believe).
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

i wish i could afford to go to this..

Jimbo I think you have to keep in mind the local.. This is shanghai.. It's rather over the top and cartoonish in nature... Things like the bunny building are PERFECT for the venue

Addicted to C2E

Default Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Performance Center

we gotta buy this when they're done with it !
    This Downtown arena/event center would look awsome if it was THIS!
    ( and I dont even care if there is one or not ) Just want to see this in Downtown Edmonton!

Canada is number 2 in the popular vote !! on that website

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Wow, the Canadian Pavilion is really cool looking.

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slides...?1272311885733

^good to see our tax dollars being spent on something completely useless.

You'll see more tourists in Canada because of pavilions such as this... While maybe not the best way to spend tax dollars, I can think of hundreds of other things the gov't spend money on that are a bigger waste with fewer returns.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^good to see our tax dollars being spent on something completely useless.
    Just think of all the potholes that could have filled hey Moa..

Marketing Canada in China/Asia sure is a waste of time and money! I mean.. really what will a continent with 3,879,000,000 people EVER do for us?

^ And one of the fastest growing economies in the world at that.

Yeah, what a waste.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Partially Addicted to C2E

feeling that every display had been carefully scrutinised and vetted, first by the bureaucrats and then by the dead hand of the corporate sponsors
    This from an article written by Malcolm Moore of www.telegraph.co.uk.

His article paints a very poor picture of long lines and meger offerings at the pavilions of all presenters. Hard to avoid in such a populous country and especially given its political structure but I sure hope our Expo wont be dictate by the "dead hand" of its corporate sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

china

This is an actual photo.. not a rendering

I never realized that the Chinese Pavilion was an inverted pyramid, does anybody remember the Canadian Pavilion at Montreal's Expo 67? We named it Katimavik (Gathering Place) in Inuit. Inverted Pyramid, another example of Chinese Piracy?

Default City can learn from massive Shanghai fair

City can learn from massive Shanghai fair
    Mayor Mandel in China to promote tourism, bolster Edmonton 2017 bid
    BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM JULY 6, 2010 5:04 PM

EDMONTON The massive Shanghai world's fair dwarfs the Expo that Edmonton hopes to host, but the event still offers lessons to local organizers, Mayor Stephen Mandel said Monday.

Impressive displays by General Motors and other firms make him interested in getting private companies more involved in Edmonton's proposed Expo 2017, he said from the Chinese city.

"There's great opportunity to bring in the dynamics of private enterprise and their ability to do things in a different way," Mandel said.

"I think that's one intriguing thing we can take back to Canada."

Mandel, on a three-day trip to Shanghai to promote tourism and help Edmonton's Expo bid, said he would also like to see lots of child-friendly activities if the city holds the world's fair in seven years.

The mayor's activities in China have included visits to seven of the 235 pavilions, a meeting with the general manager of the Shanghai event and dinner with members of the international Expo organization.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/trave...942/story.html

First One is Always Free

This Mayor has an incredible talent to hone in on the things that are the least important. But at least he gets a free vacation in China. No doubt that's the biggest priority.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes, the trolleys, LRT, new arena and municipal airport issues just worked themselves out
    Don't kid yourself, best mayor in my lifetime (34 years) if not of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    City can learn from massive Shanghai fair
    Mayor Mandel in China to promote tourism, bolster Edmonton 2017 bid
    BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM JULY 6, 2010 5:04 PM

EDMONTON The massive Shanghai world's fair dwarfs the Expo that Edmonton hopes to host, but the event still offers lessons to local organizers, Mayor Stephen Mandel said Monday.

Impressive displays by General Motors and other firms make him interested in getting private companies more involved in Edmonton's proposed Expo 2017, he said from the Chinese city.

"There's great opportunity to bring in the dynamics of private enterprise and their ability to do things in a different way," Mandel said.

"I think that's one intriguing thing we can take back to Canada."

Mandel, on a three-day trip to Shanghai to promote tourism and help Edmonton's Expo bid, said he would also like to see lots of child-friendly activities if the city holds the world's fair in seven years.

The mayor's activities in China have included visits to seven of the 235 pavilions, a meeting with the general manager of the Shanghai event and dinner with members of the international Expo organization.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/trave...942/story.html
    "Major" companies that could be represented at Edmonton's Expo.
    And I am just being sarcastic here.....

The Brick, Pizza 73, WEM, ETS, Travel Alberta (And you know all they will be promoting is the Calgary Stampede) Denny Andrews Ford.(get free gas for a year if you visit their pavilion)

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    This Mayor has an incredible talent to hone in on the things that are the least important. But at least he gets a free vacation in China. No doubt that's the biggest priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Yes, the trolleys, LRT, new arena and municipal airport issues just worked themselves out
    Don't kid yourself, best mayor in my lifetime (34 years) if not of all time.
    to say nothing of cooperation within council, within the region and with the province, lrt expansion, infrastructure investment and reinvestment, affordable housing initiatives, the quarters, aboriginal relations, support for the arts... least important things? overshadowed by a free vacation in china being his biggest priority? all you have managed to demonstrate wisteria, is your own lack of information and your own inability to assess and prioritize that information.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^Mandels comments in the article on getting private companies more involved mirror some of my earlier posts, he could have just read them rather than a trip to china (just kidding, lol). IMO Expo has to be highly business not tourist focused to be a success in Edmonton.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12