Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EIA staging an intervention on March 1!

Default EIA staging an intervention on March 1!

On March 1, Edmonton International Airport is staging an intervention at TELUS Plaza (10020 100 Street) at noon. Be there for a chance to win a $4,000 trip to one of EIA’s growing family of more than 50 non-stop destinations! More information coming soon to flyeia.com.

C2E Long Term Contributor

an intervention hey.... interesting.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

what's an intervention?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    what's an intervention?
    Blocking the QE2 to prevent Edmontonians from flying out of Calgary?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    what's an intervention?
    Blocking the QE2 to prevent Edmontonians from flying out of Calgary?
    This would be the best thing for Edmonton and EIA.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Actually QE2 is good it helps Calgarians leave Calgary

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/flyeia

Default Stop the Calgary Habit community loyalty campaign TV spot #1

Default Stop the Calgary Habit community loyalty campaign TV spot #2

Default Edmonton International Airport launches intervention campaign

Edmonton International Airport launches intervention campaign
    Edmonton travellers asked to choose EIA every time they fly

March 1, 2010 (Edmonton, Alta.)—Edmonton International Airport (EIA) estimates that it strikes up to 750,000 people annually: The Calgary Habit, the drive or flight south that many Edmontonians make to catch a plane from Calgary. The symptoms: travellers using Calgary’s airport don’t weigh costs like gas, parking, time, inconvenience, lost economic activity for the region and the toll they’re taking on Edmonton’s capacity to grow its air service. The cure: EIA’s Stop the Calgary Habit intervention campaign, which officially launches today.

Stop the Calgary Habit is asking travellers from the Edmonton region to choose EIA every time they fly. This call to action is being taken to the streets of downtown Edmonton today with a roving rally that will culminate in a prize giveaway at TELUS Plaza (10020 100 Street) at 12:30 pm. The winner will walk away with a $4,000 travel voucher to purchase a trip for two to any of the more than 50 destinations EIA serves non-stop.

Throughout the campaign, EIA will be staging a series of grassroots promotions and events to remind Edmontonians about the importance of supporting the airport’s growing family of non-stop destinations. The cheeky campaign is also meant to discourage them from flying via Calgary and make them aware of the toll this behaviour has on Edmonton’s ability to attract new routes.

“No Oilers fan wants money pouring into the coffers of the Flames and the Saddledome, nor does any Eskimos fan want to support the Stampeders and McMahon Stadium,” says Peter McCart, EIA’s Vice-President of Marketing & Business Development. “Many Edmontonians have already made a decision to support their community by supporting EIA.

“If our passengers need to make a connection, we always encourage them to use one of our 10 US hubs, or international hubs like London-Heathrow. By connecting through EIA non-stop destinations like Denver, Houston or London, and ensuring those routes thrive, it makes Edmonton more attractive to airlines looking to add new routes.”

Thanks to community support, Edmonton International Airport has been one of North America’s fastest-growing major airports for the last few years. To keep pace with this unprecedented growth, EIA’s $1-billion Expansion 2012 airport development program is currently underway, and is expected to be on time and under budget. To ensure the upward trend continues, it’s imperative that local travellers fly Edmonton first.

To encourage savings, and counteract costs associated with southbound drive market leakage, EIA’s Stop the Calgary Habit toolkit includes parking coupons, flight-mapping tools, a cost calculator and more. For more information, visit www.flyeia.com.

Now, EIA is counting on your support through one simple pledge: Stop the Calgary Habit. Fly from Edmonton International Airport every time!

-30-

I like the site, a little cheeky but maybe it will shake up some people's complacency. Edmonton has been under served by airlines for a long time, ironically the only one seeming to listen is headquartered in Calgary.
    http://www.stopyourcalgaryhabit.ca/

Like the tool....But in many cases, flights from Calgary tend to be cheaper, which is luring people to say..., well I will drive it!!!! Especially when you have families travelling on vacations, the fare difference can be significant.

Anyways....Great campaign!!!

Addicted to C2E

brilliant....
    It needs to get through to the travel agents. I dont know how many times they say, "well if you can drive to calgary......"

Love the "Greenpeace-style" rappel for the banner. Hoot.

It's an interesting tactic to get the issue into larger public and corporate discussion, but I wonder strategically how they'll sustain it.

Sad to say, what would probably be best is some pit-bull who would expose and encourage boycotts of anti-EIA travel agencies.

grish

Love the emergency hypno cure! We need another one to stop people objecting to anything and everything (i.e. the anti-nimby hypno cure).

I love this campaign. Keep it coming.

grish

Love the emergency hypno cure! We need another one to stop people objecting to anything and everything (i.e. the anti-nimby hypno cure).

I love this campaign. Keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    It needs to get through to the travel agents.
    It sure does.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Kick the Calgary Habit

I've kicked the habit many years ago.

http://www.stopyourcalgaryhabit.ca
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Partially Addicted to C2E

brilliant....
    It needs to get through to the travel agents. I dont know how many times they say, "well if you can drive to calgary......"

Agreed. Somehow, EIA should get this out loudly and aggressively.

Contest entered.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

grish

duplicate thread...

How pathetic, it is like Coke running an add to say why drinking Pepsi hurts Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    How pathetic, it is like Coke running an add to say why drinking Pepsi hurts Coke.
    pathetic?

how about in good humor and fun
    www.decl.org

^It plays more to me, like "chip on the shoulder", "we aren't good enough to compete with Calgary so lets run them down", "better to connect through somewhere else than Alberta", but I guess people see these things differently

^i read it as 'support YOUR airport if YOU want more flights from it'
    www.decl.org

^then why does it focus on anti-Calgary (our neighbor not our enemy)? Why not anti-Vancouver? Or, better yet, pro-Edmonton?

Do we have to run something down, to push ourselves up?

grish

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    duplicate thread...
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=16150

Hrm, I thought the Pepsi Challenge was pretty succesful.

Verizon and AT & T are going great guns trying to tell people who has the better network.

Shaw and TELUS are usually at each other's throats.

Highly entertaining vs pathetic I think.

Perhaps the campaign could be worded better, the problem with that being I wonder if the casual YYC connector knows the size of the problem and that they are part of it.

Interested to see, still, what the strategy is to sustain this.

^well, it will be interesting to follow the reaction. Here is the response in Calgary:

"I think we should be focusing on air access through Alberta," Moseley said. "We would never tell Calgarians to avoid Edmonton if that was the best route for their travel value. The economic benefit for keeping travel in Alberta helps Alberta as a region."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Edmonto...#ixzz0gy9YzJHV
    I personally think the campagin is mean spirted, as it is better to connect through Alberta, than to connect through an airport where there is not tax here. If anything, it tells me that YEG can only define themselves by what they are not (Calgary) rather than what they are, which is a bit sad.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Who cares? Edmonton and Calgary are both too close to each other to both be major hubs. Just as New York and Philadelphia or Salt Lake City and Denver even.

Calgary has already developed itself as a major hub, just let them have it. What is a major advantage Edmonton could have from more connector flights besides more direct flights (which we can do already with Calgary). It doesn't get more people to see the city and it's attractions or spend money in the city.

I don't find it a big deal making a connection via Calgary vs Vancouver, Winnipeg, or Toronto. Calgary is closer, making it more logical.

Why not focus more instead on kicking their butts at things that can make us stand out? Like our arts (which they are catching up to us on)? Or our education and medicine?
    ----

^it reinforces the "hick town" image some Calgarians have of us in Edmonton. We don't define ourselves by what we are (proud to be Edmontonians), but rather, what we are not (Calgarian). The small minded attitude of, if it helps Calgary it is "bad for Edmonton", instead of, "good for Alberta". IMO we need to grow out of this for it does more harm to our image, than good.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^then why does it focus on anti-Calgary (our neighbor not our enemy)? Why not anti-Vancouver? Or, better yet, pro-Edmonton?

How many people drive to YVR to connect? This is an obvious marketing campaign to stop the people from driving to Calgary which really hurts our airport and more importantly our city. Does saying YEG is awesome help deter the passenger drain to Calgary, no, pointing out that the extra money spent on gas, hotels, 6 hours+ of your time is the best way to quickly illustrate we need everyone to bypass YYC in order to compete. Why would you support Calgary's airport over your own?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Why would you support Calgary's airport over your own?
    Why would you support a US airport connection (YEG-US-Destination) over a Calgary one (YEG-Calgary-Destination)? IMO, the campagin borders on being anti-Albertan / unpatriotic.

Support your airport and you will get better and more routes.

Simple as that.

How many people drive to YVR to connect? This is an obvious marketing campaign to stop the people from driving to Calgary which really hurts our airport and more importantly our city. Does saying YEG is awesome help deter the passenger drain to Calgary, no, pointing out that the extra money spent on gas, hotels, 6 hours+ of your time is the best way to quickly illustrate we need everyone to bypass YYC in order to compete. Why would you support Calgary's airport over your own?
    Ive never heard of someone doing that before it was brung up on the forums a couple months ago (maybe longer). Many do, however, go to YEG, connect via Calgary.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
    ... Edmonton and Calgary are both too close to each other to both be major hubs. Just as New York and Philadelphia or Salt Lake City and Denver even.
    huh? SLC (Delta) and Den (UAL) both are hubs - just for different airlines. Same with Philadelphia (US Air) and New York (pick one of several).

... Calgary has already developed itself as a major hub, just let them have it. ... I don't find it a big deal making a connection via Calgary vs Vancouver, Winnipeg, or Toronto. Calgary is closer, making it more logical.
    The campaign isn't about YVR, YWG (??) or YYZ - it's about U.S. gateway cities and LHR. Even if it were, YYC IMO, airside, sux bigtime from a connecting pax POV.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Who cares? Edmonton and Calgary are both too close to each other to both be major hubs. Just as New York and Philadelphia or Salt Lake City and Denver even.

Calgary has already developed itself as a major hub, just let them have it. What is a major advantage Edmonton could have from more connector flights besides more direct flights (which we can do already with Calgary). It doesn't get more people to see the city and it's attractions or spend money in the city.

I don't find it a big deal making a connection via Calgary vs Vancouver, Winnipeg, or Toronto. Calgary is closer, making it more logical.
    Why not focus more instead on kicking their butts at things that can make us stand out? Like our arts (which they are catching up to us on)? Or our education and medicine?
    You should care, why should YEG lay down and admit defeat? Things can and will change if there is a will. YEG is underserved and will continue to do so unless they stop the passenger drain to Calgary. I will NEVER connect in Calgary and always connect in an American city or LHR as that helps OUR airport continue to keep these important flights. Was it good for OUR city that Continental started the non-stop to Houston? Do you think we would get more routes like this if we just submit defeat to YYC? I find your comments quite hypocritical considering your C2E user name.

...Why would you support a US airport connection (YEG-US-Destination) over a Calgary one (YEG-Calgary-Destination)? IMO, the campagin borders on being anti-Albertan / unpatriotic.
    1) Uh, pre-clear customs here vs big hassle at YYC.
    2) Better selection of frequency to and number of U.S. gateway cities with about ten to twenty times more destinations of interest than YYC....

I mean, you're argument might make sense if YYC wasn't about as small as YEG on the grander scheme of things.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Why would you support Calgary's airport over your own?
    Why would you support a US airport connection (YEG-US-Destination) over a Calgary one (YEG-Calgary-Destination)? IMO, the campagin borders on being anti-Albertan / unpatriotic.
    How is driving to Calgary to use their airport going to help OUR airport? If I am travelling to LAX, ORD, SFO, etc, why wouldn't I want to go non-stop from my airport? I support OUR airport by using the American destinations, if we always go through Calgary, OUR airport loses those flights. A city of 1 million needs choices and YYC is NOT one of them.

A busier YEG airport that has more options and quicker travelling times equates to more jobs, higher tax revenue, more choices, lower fares, etc to our region, sure sounds Anti-Edmonton to me.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    The campaign isn't about YVR, YWG (??) or YYZ - it's about U.S. gateway cities and LHR. Even if it were, YYC IMO, airside, sux bigtime from a connecting pax POV.
    Then why don't they say that on the campaign? Promote people using direct flights? Targretting Calgary IMO is petty and wrongheaded. So much so, that I almost feel obliged to avoid YEG because of it.

Maybe if EIA could attract at least one oneworld member I wouldn't drive to Calgary.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Can you not read? 750,000 people a year use YYC, ergo they are pointing out why you should not use it.

So, they are losing to Calgary, and because of that, "blame Calgary", an Albertain City that is a key partner for Edmonton, in the advertising campagin?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I guess Apple is pathetic too considering all their anti Vista ads?

[
    Promoting US airports ahead of Canadian airports is IMO poor form. Better connections into Alberta, bringnig more tourists in, will benefit us all. But no, best we can do is be jealous of Calgary. I'm not going to kick a Calgary habit, because Calgary is vital for Edmonton, just as Edmonton is vital for Calgary.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

[
    Promoting US airports ahead of Canadian airports is IMO poor form. Better connections into Alberta, bringnig more tourists in, will benefit us all. But no, best we can do is be jealous of Calgary.
    I think promoting Calgary's airport before your own is VERY POOR form.

Good form is promoting your city, your province, and your country, not running them down because we are not good enough to compete.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Maybe if EIA could attract at least one oneworld member I wouldn't drive to Calgary.
    We did have Mexicana for awhile. Maybe if you didn't drive to Calgary we would get one?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So EIA should bow down and become a commuter airport for YYC? Should we just run flights to YYC and have no competition with them because they are Albertan?

Face the facts, YYC is stripping our area of almost a million passengers a year which hurts OUR airport. Sure sounds like poor form to take business away from a fellow Albertan city...........

^which to me, sums up why YEG is losing flights. It is all very "defensive". Instead of trying to win customers from Red Deer, or provide better non-stop flights, to provide better access for Alberta, the marketing campaign tells us that management is obsessed with big bad Calgary. This campaign is going to backfire, it looks terrible optically for Edmonton to again, be defining ourselves not by ourselves, but rather, by Calgary. When will we grow up and stand on our own two feet as a great city that can secure flights or anything else, in our own right?

Good form is promoting your city, your province, and your country, not running them down because we are not good enough to compete.
    Love that YYC quote, we generally promote travel through Alberta. LOL, yes?

Let's see, has express parking and express security for Alberta passengers....... Answer: Where is YEG

YYC my friend does nadda, bupkis, zero to make it easier for Alberta passengers. Maybe if they tried, but mostly all I get at YYC is endless, adolescent taunts about being from Edmonton. That's why I only fly to YYC when that's my end destination.

I mean, seriously, if I wanted to fly to Berlin, why fly via YYC and FRA, when I can fly LHR and make one not two connections? And the list like that goes on and on and on and on.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

They'll soon pull this campaign. (Though I'd have loved to have seen the reaction on here if the shoe had been on the other foot)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^which to me, sums up why YEG is losing flights. It is all very "defensive". Instead of trying to win customers from Red Deer, or provide better non-stop flights, to provide better access for Alberta, the marketing campaign tells us that management is obsessed with big bad Calgary. This campaign is going to backfire, it looks terrible optically for Edmonton to again, be defining ourselves not by ourselves, but rather, by Calgary. When will we grow up and stand on our own two feet as a great city that can secure flights or anything else, in our own right?
    So let me get this straight, you think if we get more non-stop flights we will win customers and become a better airport? Wow, is that how it is done. What is the easiest way to get new flights? Would it be easier to try and get passengers from a small city like Red Deer or would it be easier to get the 750,000 people from the City of Edmonton that are already flying to use their own airport?

I think we are growing up and standing on our own two feet by fighting for what is ours. We are fighting to get back the 750,000 people a year that they are stealing from us, it sure sounds anti-Albertan and unpatriotic to take your fellow Albertan cities passengers away from us. Maybe they should focus on taking Montana`s or Washington`s passengers instead of ours???

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by andy8244 View Post
    They'll soon pull this campaign. (Though I'd have loved to have seen the reaction on here if the shoe had been on the other foot)
    I honestly wouldn`t care, if we were stealing almost a million passengers per year, I would expect them to try to get them back too.

^Mexicana has clearly stated they will return to YEG once the markets settle.

I was reading comments in the Calgary herald just a few minutes ago, and it just shows how many undereducated people really live there.

Being from Toronto (now living in Edmonton) I am impressed by how Calgary puts itself ahead of even Vancouver gloating about itself.Its just another Edmonton just a little further south with the addition of ''seasonal'' cowboys...

Bang on. It is an offensive and small minded campaign to anyone who sees Calgary as a partner, not an enemy.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Partners usually do not steal 750,000 per year from you.......

If they do, I suggest we become business partners

This is a great campaign and long overdue. The Capital Region needs to boost the profile of our airport and fact is...750,000 are driving down to YYC. Nothing wrong with targeting YYC on this...it is that airport we are asking people not to fly from and to fly from Edmonton First.

This is exactly the edgy hustling that EIA needs to undertake - intervention with the 750,000 folks that do not realize they are not helping grow our city, and more interventions in the Airline Boardrooms with area CEO's and area Reeves and Mayors in tow. Other strengths are the local Dutch, Polish and German communities.

Bravo EIA!!! Encore!!!!

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I merged the two threads.

to those who say we should have a 'fly edmonton first' like campaign - pro edmonton and not bashing or attempting to 'steal' people from Calgary...

let me reintroduce...
    http://flyedmontonfirst.com/

(we do badly need a connection on the east coast or two. Miami or Atlanta and New York or Boston
    Last edited by Medwards; 01-03-2010 at 07:03 PM.

You should care, why should YEG lay down and admit defeat? Things can and will change if there is a will. YEG is underserved and will continue to do so unless they stop the passenger drain to Calgary. I will NEVER connect in Calgary and always connect in an American city or LHR as that helps OUR airport continue to keep these important flights. Was it good for OUR city that Continental started the non-stop to Houston? Do you think we would get more routes like this if we just submit defeat to YYC? I find your comments quite hypocritical considering your C2E user name.
    Well, you can't expect someone to be "enthusiastic" about everything, can you? Also, opinions can change over time (and it has been over a yr since officially registering).

Enough of that...why is it such a big deal, honestly? Yes, it's nice not having to connect everywhere via Calgary, and we don't need to only keep a flight to Calgary and just play dead, but realize that Calgary is and probably will for the forseable future the main hub for the Prairies. Accept it. That means Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, and Winnipeg "loose" flight destinations to Calgary. Keep up direct flights to popular destinations from Edmonton, but I don't really think it's a big deal connecting to Calgary for other destinations. Personally, I don't really care, it's a quick little flight to Calgary, so whatever.

Why is everything Edmonton or Calgary; Calgary vs Edmonton. Why can't both succeed on different levels, instead of striving for the same things? Calgary is the airport/transportation hub, get over it. We still have many things over Calgary, hopefully they can get over their university isn't far as good as ours.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    ... Edmonton and Calgary are both too close to each other to both be major hubs. Just as New York and Philadelphia or Salt Lake City and Denver even.
    huh? SLC (Delta) and Den (UAL) both are hubs - just for different airlines. Same with Philadelphia (US Air) and New York (pick one of several).

... Calgary has already developed itself as a major hub, just let them have it. ... I don't find it a big deal making a connection via Calgary vs Vancouver, Winnipeg, or Toronto. Calgary is closer, making it more logical.
    Seriously, which one has more connections Philly or NY? NY is a major, global airport compared to Philly, so yes, it is in the shadow of NY. Denver and SLC may share hubs of airlines between them, but Denver still has more international flights, for example. You even said for NYC, pick one of many, showing it's a hub of way more airline corps than Philadelphia.
    Last edited by edmontonenthusiast; 01-03-2010 at 07:15 PM.
    ----

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well, you can't expect someone to be "enthusiastic" about everything, can you? Also, opinions can change over time (and it has been over a yr since officially registering).

Enough of that...why is it such a big deal, honestly? Yes, it's nice not having to connect everywhere via Calgary, and we don't need to only keep a flight to Calgary and just play dead, but realize that Calgary is and probably will for the forseable future the main hub for the Prairies. Accept it. That means Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, and Winnipeg "loose" flight destinations to Calgary. Keep up direct flights to popular destinations from Edmonton, but I don't really think it's a big deal connecting to Calgary for other destinations. Personally, I don't really care, it's a quick little flight to Calgary, so whatever.

Why is everything Edmonton or Calgary; Calgary vs Edmonton. Why can't both succeed on different levels, instead of striving for the same things? Calgary is the airport/transportation hub, get over it. We still have many things over Calgary, hopefully they can get over their university isn't far as good as ours.
    I am not going to get over it, they are taking OUR passengers and we should stand up for ourselves. If Calgary takes Regina's, Saskatoon's, Winnipeg's, etc then good for them but our citizens should use OUR airport. You may think it is no big deal to jump on a quick connecting flight to Cowtown but when you look at the big picture, 750,000 passengers a year is HUGE. That is almost 2,100 people a day, 2,100 freaking passengers a day people!!!! How many direct flights to AMS, NYC, FRA, etc would that be, sorry but the "oh well, Calgary has a bigger airport, we should just let them have our passengers"won't fly (pun intended).

^Why is it any better for Winnipeg or Regina or Saskatoon's numbers to dwindle but not Edmonton's? I think these cities should be even more a problem because they're further from Calgary and should have their own distinct destinations.

At least we have a great airport (for destinations) at our doorstep to use. People still use YEG because people need to get to Edmonton, and popular flights should be direct with Edmonton, but for destinations like Atlanta, Paris, Amsterdam, Miami, Kingston, whatever city you want to throw that would not be needed for each cities...I don't mind them choosing Calgary over us because it is THE hub. Period. Calgary would still be the hub and still would have larger numbers than us if we had more of the same destinations.
    ----

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Seriously, which one has more connections Philly or NY? NY is a major, global airport compared to Philly, so yes, it is in the shadow of NY. Denver and SLC may share hubs of airlines between them, but Denver still has more international flights, for example. You even said for NYC, pick one of many, showing it's a hub of way more airline corps than Philadelphia.
    NYC population is over 22 million people and is 94 miles from Philly which has a population of 1.54 million people (5.8 Greater Philadelphia region). This is a far cry from comparing two cities with equal populations and that are 300 km apart.

I don't know if this helps, but it's not at all about competition. It's very much about promoting YEG and Edmonton.

It's about airline economics that make for an uneven playing field. Because we're not a hub we just have to try THAT much harder. And the only part of this that's about YYC is the rather shocking number of people who will drive 3+ hours, pay exorbitant parking rates to, they think, save money flying YYC. That's what the calculator is about.

And just so's yanno, I recently checked "deals" on flights to LAX, figuring all those advertised low fares were via YYC. Lo and behold no - they were via YVR. So, neither AC nor WJ got my business.

Nor did LA, not, I am pretty sure that any cared less!!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^Why is it any better for Winnipeg or Regina or Saskatoon's numbers to dwindle but not Edmonton's? I think these cities should be even more a problem because they're further from Calgary and should have their own distinct destinations.

At least we have a great airport (for destinations) at our doorstep to use. People still use YEG because people need to get to Edmonton, and popular flights should be direct with Edmonton, but for destinations like Atlanta, Paris, Amsterdam, Miami, Kingston, whatever city you want to throw that would not be needed for each cities...I don't mind them choosing Calgary over us because it is THE hub. Period. Calgary would still be the hub and still would have larger numbers than us if we had more of the same destinations.
    I don't care where Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg flights go as much as OUR flights. We know that 750,000 people a year are not using our airport and using Calgary's, ergo, the quickest and easiest way to stop the bleeding is to educate those passengers to use YEG.

The more we use Calgary as our hub, the less non-stop flights we get. Can you not comprehend what that means as we have less and less choices and rely on connecting in Calgary???? This means your 50+ non-stop destinations becomes 45, then 40........

I want better flight connections to major cities across North America, and beyond

I don't want to stop over in Calgary

I will continue to go through EIA.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I don't care where Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg flights go as much as OUR flights. We know that 750,000 people a year are not using our airport and using Calgary's, ergo, the quickest and easiest way to stop the bleeding is to educate those passengers to use YEG.

The more we use Calgary as our hub, the less non-stop flights we get. Can you not comprehend what that means as we have less and less choices and rely on connecting in Calgary???? This means your 50+ non-stop destinations becomes 45, then 40........
    and that's when it becomes harder and harder for business to do business here and for business elsewhere to do business here. and that's the real cost those driving to calgary will eventually have all of us pay... if stantec and pcl and clark and cwb etc. end up bowing to the pressure to locate somewhere where it is faster and easier to do business or for others to do business with them - and that could well be chicago or pittsburgh or boston or la as calgary - what price does that extract from edmonton's potential?

sorry moahunter but on this issue the chip is on your shoulder and andy8244's and edmontonenthusiast's and anyone else's that doesn't get it, not eia's. this issue is a very real threat to the economic health of the capital region and i think the current effort to address it with a mixture of fact and good humour is long overdue.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

...I don't mind them choosing Calgary over us because it is THE hub. Period. Calgary would still be the hub and still would have larger numbers than us if we had more of the same destinations.
    Calgary isn't a hub. Edmonton isn't a hub and isn't trying to be one. The demand for travel from each city is way more equal than the airlines want to admit. The existing "Calgary hub" model that the airlines push is not working well or offering better travel options for most Edmonton travellers.

This campaign is just saying, 750,000 passengers a year divided by say 150 seats per plane (approx for Airbus A320) equals 5000 flights per year that are patronized by people in Edmonton. I can only assume they'd prefer to fly directly from Edmonton to their destination.

At the very least this would mean more departure options for our existing destinations so you could leave when it was convenient for you. In an ideal world this increase in passenger volume would mean some new destinations as well.

^Thats right Calgary is a ''hub'' to only one airline currently and that is WestJet,
    Air Canada considers YYC a ''focus city'' but not a hub, if you look at the AC route map it shows three hubs; Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.Calgary shows up as a ''focus city''.Yes they do offer alot more destinations from Calgary but small beans compared to the three actual hubs in the AC route network.AC has also stated that it will now concentrate on its Toronto hub with more expansion turning it into its mega hub.

That has already begun as YYC has seen AC reductions to the U.S and the complete drop of San Diego.

What's a focus city anyway? Nice hair?

*only* AC.

Excellent campaign.

People have to realize that air service in Canada is now a free market. We have to fight for (and have the right to fight for) better air service for Edmonton.

100% in support of this campaign. Good work YEG!!

NYC population is over 22 million people and is 94 miles from Philly which has a population of 1.54 million people (5.8 Greater Philadelphia region). This is a far cry from comparing two cities with equal populations and that are 300 km apart.
    i could say the same about you directly comparing metro nyc to philly city proper (while putting metro as a second comparison in brackets).

really, i just don't care that edmonton isn't triumphing over calgary at everything.
    ----

Check out EIA's photo album from the Stop the Calgary Habit intervention community loyalty program launch event. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and on Twitter: twitter.com/flyeia.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...id=34601729252

In Guantanamo (Banned)

....from the comments section of the CBC news web site.

"The 10 people that are protesting can crawl back into the hole they came out of.

The free market will determine these things, as a consumer, protests like these are essentially demanding that expensive, un-economic products be offerred. This is akin to communism. The free market will determine these things.

If Edmonton wants to attract more flights, then it has to work on its cost structure and provide a cheaper better service."
    A bit of an Orson Welles "war of the worlds" moment I fear.

brilliant....
    We recently booked a group to fly to Mexico for my upcoming wedding, and I don't know how many times I had to YELL into phone "NO F--KING CALGARY DEPARTURES!" because the travel agent kept giving me quotes departing from Calgary, despite all 40 or so of us leaving from Edmonton. Retards.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

plain and simple calgary competes with us for passengers and we compete with this i see nothing wrong with it as i don't see it causing a loss of flights to alberta and nothing wrong with the airport authority fighting to give its region better options and bringing an issue it faces (passenger leakage) to the general public.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    brilliant....
    We recently booked a group to fly to Mexico for my upcoming wedding, and I don't know how many times I had to YELL into phone "NO F--KING CALGARY DEPARTURES!" because the travel agent kept giving me quotes departing from Calgary, despite all 40 or so of us leaving from Edmonton. Retards.
    Maybe you could get married in Edmonton?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes, out of that whole message, the destination of his wedding is the problem here.

Unreal.

What's with you people? Don't you want direct connections? Do you people enjoy making stop overs in a rinky-dinky plane to Calgary?

This city is losing big time. Edmonton needs to step up and quick.

I am scared to see what Edmonton will be in 10 years if we keep losing people who keep going to Calgary to catch flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    brilliant....
    Maybe you could get married in Edmonton?
    Wise words from someone who hasn't, and never will, ever be in a relationship that lasts beyond the first conversation.

We booked with a local travel agent, a local airline, and we're hosting our reception here, and are even serving only local micro-brew and BC wines. The only thing not being done here is the ceremony, and we're not religious so it would just have been done at the reception anyway.

The Mexican wedding is replacing our regular Mexican holiday that we take that time of year anyway.

Not that I need to justify myself to you, but I feel I've done my part to support local business during this exciting time.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Edmontonians and N.Alberta as a whole need to support EIA, much like how Calgary supports its own airport.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    sorry moahunter but on this issue the chip is on your shoulder and andy8244's and edmontonenthusiast's and anyone else's that doesn't get it, not eia's. this issue is a very real threat to the economic health of the capital region and i think the current effort to address it with a mixture of fact and good humour is long overdue.
    I guess I just see it differently. To me, our future is with Calgary. I fear these type of campaigns in whatever humour divide us, and that isn't smart, as Edmonton will lose as it has been relatively losing. But Calgary loses too, we should grow the pie together not bitterly divide it up.

grish

We need improved air service. Going through Calgary makes as much sense as buying second hand clothes. Sure it will benefit the person who wore them first adn you buy them for less, but you'll always have patches on your knees.

First One is Always Free

Great campaign!

Maybe if we started something like this for the city a few years ago we may have still have companies like Shaw or Churchill with headquarters here.

Addicted to C2E

Not a big fan of how many times Calgary is mentioned compared to Edmonton. What people hear sticks in their heads.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

The twice I've flown back to Europe I've flown from Edmonton, didn't think twice about it.

What this campaign has actually highlighted is that I may be able to get a better deal flying from Calgary next time I go? That doesn't strike me as a great marketing sucsess.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    I guess I just see it differently. To me, our future is with Calgary. I fear these type of campaigns in whatever humour divide us, and that isn't smart, as Edmonton will lose as it has been relatively losing. But Calgary loses too, we should grow the pie together not bitterly divide it up.

I admire your willingness to stick your neck out for what you believe to be true,but kcantor was right if we don't support more flights from EIA, which this campaign in a cheeky way is trying to accomplish, then business will LEAVE, woud you like me to list of the companies that used to have regional headquarters here in Edmonton, but left because of the small town mentality of previous government and local agencies. Many of those left for many reasons, but a majority of the reasons where business related, and business requires excellent and efficient air connections.

And this I know for a fact most large corporations have very specific rules about where they will be located, a specific business model if you will and most have airline connections to THE WORLD as a critical component. Calgary's business community realized this very long ago and set about enticing corporate offices to move to that city, once it reached critical mass the rest just naturally followed. The error of Edmonton's ways has been many decades in the making and will take a long time to fix. And don't think for a moment that anyone in Calgary was thinking when this was started that they shouldn't do this because Edmonton is the Capitol or any other excuse you can come up with. They want to WIN and make Calgary THE place to be in Alberta and they have been very successful at it.

So now it's our turn, if we want this City to be the best it can be we have to fight for it no one else is going to do it for us, time to stop being small town nicey nice and aggressively market the great things we have and get the world to know Edmonton as the city to come to in Alberta!

Campaigns like this are excellent ways to make people stop and think,

"hmm, honey maybe we should fly out of Edmonton I mean yeah we save 250 bucks driving to Calgary for the trip, but it wastes 3 hours each way for each of us and a hundred bucks in gas, forty bucks in food and I have to drive on that crazy highway. Nope lets connect out of Edmonton we can sit back in the airport or the plane and relax"

People need to sometimes be poked to realize what they are doing and how it affects others.

I love that EIA is doing the right thing and I think most of the posters here feel the same.

Possum
    Last edited by KenL; 02-03-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: spelling
    Evolution beats Revolution every time!

This stop the Calgary habit campaign is exactly what we need.

I want DIRECT connections.

Some of you people think that a 20 minute stop over (I'm being generous about 20 minutes, it can be as long as 4 hours) in Calgary isn't bad but you forget to add the time it takes for the plane to slow down and land, taxi down the runway, take off and gain speed. The delay is more like 40 minutes; it's a double whammy if you have to connect through Calgary to get back which brings it up to 80 minutes. There is also the chance of your luggage being lost in the transfer, or a mechanical delay, or a weather delay or a security delay etc. etc. etc... That is 80 minutes knocked off of my vacation time, that's 80 minutes of lost conversations with old friends and family members that I have not seen in a long time, and won't see again for another long time. That 80 minutes is my hard earned money going to waste in another stuffy airport for a pointless transfer.

I can see the logic of Vancouver being a hub because it is on the edge of the continent. There is as much logic in Calgary being a hub as there is for Edmonton. Some of you folks are whining about the lack of cooperation between Edmonton and Calgary. Here is a solution, one Alberta city should exclusively have links to Asia and the other exclusively to Europe, that would be fair.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E SME

One thing I'd like to see for the Edmonton International Airport is improved taxi, shuttle and transit service to and from the Airport. When people can't take a bus, or when shuttles are limited to hotels, that means a $75.00 taxi ride.

I'm glad to see the EIA bring awareness to this. 750,000 people is significant, and I thnk that we could get more improved connections, even locally. For example, I'd like to see better non-stop flights to Saskatoon, rather than having to transfer through Calgary.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

The key is EIA needs to continue to get more and more direct flights. There is nothing I hate more than when I'm taking a trip, I get on the plane and then get off about half an hour later cause the airline had to fly into Calgary first. I don't hate Calgary but definitely don't like that city either. If Calgary has a chance to steal something away from Edmonton, I guarentee they will try. Look at their attempt to steal away the Expo 2017 bid not to long ago. The more that people decide to fly out of Edmonton, the more airlines will want to have flights to accomodate it's EIA passengers.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

My SO who is a very frequent user of EIA YEG saw and read about this and stated.
    "All fine and dandy to try and create a groundswell of enthusiasm but:
    • If I cannot get to where I need to get to due to a lack of flights and destinations .... do I not go? Tell that to my employer
    • Who is going to react to this , the airlines ? probably not
    • Do that many people really drive to Calgary ?
    • Are we prepared for the backlash from Calgary, which may be far more vitriolic ?
    • Or worse yet, What if Calgary doesn't react at all ???
      Great Vids' Though !
    "

C2E Super Addict

^well, it will be interesting to follow the reaction. Here is the response in Calgary:

"I think we should be focusing on air access through Alberta," Moseley said. "We would never tell Calgarians to avoid Edmonton if that was the best route for their travel value. The economic benefit for keeping travel in Alberta helps Alberta as a region."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Edmonto...#ixzz0gy9YzJHV
    Now THAT - the quote from Moseley - is a cheap shot.

Easy to say when you have twice the connections and serve twice the number of passengers per year and are the de facto hub for the Province.

Does anyone really think for one second they would not promote flying Calgary first if the situation were reversed?

The FACT is there are a substantial number of travellers - maybe not all 750K that they quote - but a substantial number - that don't even realize the impact of their choice, and if they knew would have no problem connecting through YEG if it works.

If YEG and the city want more direct flights and fewer connections in Calgary no airline is going to provide that without evidence of demand. It has to start with demand. This campaign is attempting to generate demand, or increase it.

Blueline - to speak to one of your SO's concerns - I don't think Calgary will react much at all. They don't need to. This is more about little brother getting some attention than a sibling wrestling match.
    Last edited by Chump; 02-03-2010 at 09:54 AM.

grish

My responses to your wife:
    • If she cannot get where she needs to go, she has two options:

1. Transfer through another airport
    2. Transfer/ drive through Calgary

She should investigate all options available and not automatically agree to driving to Calgary

• Who is going to react to this , the airlines ? probably not

The flying public. They (WE) need to become aware that there are options other than calgary connection and that choosing the calgary connection hurts our chances of convenient air service in the future. Calgary connection, by the way, is not convenient unless you live in Red Deer and south.

• Do that many people really drive to Calgary ?

Yes.

• Are we prepared for the backlash from Calgary, which may be far more vitriolic?

Yes. What do they have to hold over us in terms of air service?

• Or worse yet, What if Calgary doesn't react at all ???

They are not supposed to react. It is the Edmonton flying public who is supposed to stop and at the very least consider their options before dropping a few hundred or thousand dollars on their next flight.

C2E Super Addict

Any travel agent who tells me to fly through Calgary ceases to get my business. First of all, I HATE flying through Calgary. Second, I hate delays, and connections are just another form of delay to this traveller. Finally, when I'm flying for either business or vacation, I want to get there in as little time as possible because I don't have a lot of time. Why would I want to waste a minute of my Mexican holiday that I only have a week to enjoy in Calgary?

I was just trying to book a flight using my American Advantage miles - mind you AA doesn't fly to YEG....I just bought a one way to YVR and will be flying YVR-DFW-BWI...Not the most convenient flight, but hey....why should I inflate YYC's numbers????

If and when everyones does their little part, YYC will then realize how much of their business comes from Edmonton

never answered e-mail

and the Calgary vitriol starts with Braid

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...105/story.html

^
    Braid: They're fighting a losing battle at Edmonton's airport

This Calgary habit, which I wasn't aware afflicts Edmontonians so gravely, is the irresistible urge to drive or fly here to catch a plane. The Edmonton campaign tells us that 750,000 northerners do that every year. The drivers whistle right past Edmonton International, race to our airport, find a parking spot, drag out the luggage, wrestle through security and fly somewhere.

Doesn't this kind of prove that Calgary International is . . . better?...

But in retaliation, Edmonton is actually spending public money on a direct campaign to keep people away from Calgary.

That part's not so funny.

Like I - She said
    Here we go
    Everyone better duck

^agreed. It would for example, be perfectly fair game now, for Calgary airport to stop taking the high ground. They could advertise directly in Edmonton, and even link up with a bus company like Red Arrow to package connections. The gloves are off, it will be interesting to see if YEG can stand up to a real fight if Calgary airport decides to target this market.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast