Thread: Death of Georgian Luger Nodar Kumaritashvili

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Default Death of Georgian Luger Nodar Kumaritashvili

Death raises questions about luge track, Canadian competitiveness.
    Athletes feel like ‘lemmings’ thrown down ‘exceedingly dangerous’ course.

A collective cry went out at the Main Media Centre this morning when video featuring the horrific crash of Georgian luger, Nodar Kumaritashvili was broadcast into the main hall. The 21-year-old racer died at the Whistler Sliding Centre — following his second crash in just two days. His death cast an immediate pall over Vancouver, where the opening ceremonies are set to begin in just two hours.

macleans

It hasn't started yet, fortunatley. I'm looking forward to the Olympics, hope we get an "official" sports thread.

I'd rather C2E than work!

from what i've read the track was designed by the same team as the one in Salt Lake, and it was checked and approved by the governing body of luge and bobsleigh, whatever the actual title is.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Not only the unfortunate passing but;
    Yesterday Romanian Iuger Violeta crashed into a wall, knocked unconscious for a couple minutes. As well Italian Armin Zoeggeler crashed on his 1st run, wasn't hurt and American Bengt Walden crashed on his run.

IOC and VANOC are in discussions tonight about the future of the event.

Just seen the video. Terrible. He hit that beam and nothing. So sad.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Watched the video as well. Awful. You see it happen and know that's it, he's gone. I feel for the staff that rushed to him at the scene. At least he went quick, doing what he loved.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

CTV just showed the video on TV, I wish I hadn't seen that I should have listened to the warning, brutal.

Do people think they should show it? I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by moahunter; 12-02-2010 at 10:31 PM.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

I'm afraid this is the story that's still getting the column inches around the world.

"A headline in the Daily Mail reads: "Canada's lust for glory is to blame for this senseless tragedy." That's a reference to the death of Nodar Kumaritashvili, who was killed in a crash during a training run on the Whistler Sliding Centre in B.C.
    “Canada wanted to Own The Podium at the Vancouver Winter Olympic Games. This morning they can put their Maple Leaf stamp on something more instantly tangible: the nondescript little box carrying the lifeless body of Nodar Kumaritashvili back to his home in Bakuriani, Georgia,” wrote Martin Samuel of the Daily Mail.

An article in the Guardian picks up on the same theme, and under the headline "Athletes blame hosts for death of luge contestant" also points fingers at Canada for limiting access to facilities."

CBC News

C2E Super Addict

Well, firstly, according to media reports, nothing Canada did was outside the rules.

Secondly, what Canada did (limiting access) is done by every host country, also according to the media (CTV).

What I would like to know is what "normally" happens. To what extent do countries normally limit access? Was this year any different than other Olympics?

As for the "Daily Mail" - they need a juicy headline to sell rags, since they won't be writing about medal winners.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle7026763.ece

C2E Super Addict

And while we're suring the planet's media for stories on this:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/02/1...ex.html?hpt=C1

"And yet, in the three years of its existence, the Whistler track's crash stats are in line with other tracks around the world, according to officials from the International Luge Federation. Out of more than 30,000 runs in the three sliding sports -- bobsled, luge and skeleton -- Whistler has seen 340 crashes."