View Poll Results: Should Remembrance Day Moment of Silence be Mandatory???

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 26.67%
  • No

22 73.33%

Thread: Should Remembrance Day Moment of Silence be Mandatory

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Default Should Remembrance Day Moment of Silence be Mandatory

Moment of silence should be mandatory
    BY TIFFANY CRAWFORD, CANWEST NEWS SERVICENOVEMBER 9, 2009

A majority of Canadians believe observing two minutes of silence on Remembrance Day should be mandatory rather than voluntary, suggests a new poll released to Canwest News Service.

Seven in 10 Canadians who responded to the survey agreed that governments at all levels should enact a law to make everyone stop and observe two minutes of silence on Nov. 11, according to the Ipsos-Reid poll.

The poll surveyed 1,032 people between Nov. 3 and 5, on behalf of the Historica-Dominion Institute.

A further 57 per cent of respondents said all public transit and cars, wherever possible, should stop for two minutes at 11 a.m. on Remembrance Day, which falls Wednesday, to honour this country's fallen soldiers.

The support for mandatory silence may have more to do with Canadians' passion to keep a tradition alive than actually wanting it legally enshrined, said Marc Chalifoux, spokesman for the Historica-Dominion Institute.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...384/story.html

Should Remembrance Day Moment of Silence be Mandatory???

I'd rather C2E than work!

What would be the penalty for not observing it? A fine? Arrest and jail time? Seems a bit extreme. I believe strongly in Remembrance Day, but don't think we need any more silly, trivial, and unenforceable laws.

This quote from the article sums it up:

"We don't need to legislate this," said Don Leonardo, 48, a spokesman for Veterans of Canada, who comes from a family of three generations of Canadians who fought in wars. Leonardo served as a peacekeeper in former Yugoslavia, while his grandfather and father served in both world wars.

"We need to remember our soldiers have fought for freedoms--freedom of the press, freedom to enjoy the Olympics or the freedom to protest them, and the freedom to observe two minutes of silence."
    Strathcona City Separatist

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I think this concept is symbolic only... doesn't really mean anything.

^ Then it doesn't even need to be considered law.
    Strathcona City Separatist

C2E Super Addict

Didn't people fight and die so that government wouldn't tell us that things like this would be mandatory?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

A law with penalties for non-compliance? No.
    Thinking of ways to make observation more commonplace? Yes. I like the idea of public transit stopping for 2 minutes, maybe all restaurants don't serve for 2 minutes, etc. But it wouldn't be safe to enforce this... for example a chef should tend to the stove if required to avoid a fire even during the two minutes, or the transit driver should get out of the way of an ambulance trying to save somebody's life during the two minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
    Didn't people fight and die so that government wouldn't tell us that things like this would be mandatory?
    Indeed. Very ironic, that.

C2E Super Addict

I think a better gesture would be to make Remembrance Day a stat holiday again.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
    In Alberta, it is a stat holiday.

Without googling to try and find my answers, I'll just ask ya, which provinces do not observe Remembrance Day? I thought Wednesday's day-off was due to a national stat holiday, not provincial like that Family Day we have here.

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    Without googling to try and find my answers, I'll just ask ya, which provinces do not observe Remembrance Day? I thought Wednesday's day-off was due to a national stat holiday, not provincial like that Family Day we have here.
    I googled it.

• Rememberance Day is not a national stat holiday, but it is recognized as a stat holiday for federal employees.
    • It is a provincial statutory holiday in Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, and Yukon.
    • In Manitoba, it's an "Official day of Observance", not a statutory holiday.
    • In Nova Scotia, not a statutory holiday in that employers have the option of giving Remembrance Day or an alternate day off.
    • Not a statutory holiday in Ontario or Quebec.
    Where I work, we are given the option of working it in exchange for taking Boxing Day off (it's usually about 50/50 as to those who take it vs. those who work it).

Personally, I always take the day off and attend one of the ceremonies happening somewhere near Edmonton (I prefer small town ceremonies).

C2E Super Addict

Maybe we need to change the definition of stat holiday, because as far as I'm concerned a stat day means stores should be closed. I refuse to shop on Remembrance Day.

I know a lot of people that only see Rememberance Day as a holiday. That lack of 'Rememberance' on a day that is designated for that purpose is what the article in the first post is trying to address. I don't neccisarily agree with thier methods, but I agree with the sentiment.

Back when I was in grade school we had Remembrance Day ceremonies in the school gym....on November 11.

The one that really enthralled me was when Mr. Dupuis, our school janitor and a WWII veteran, put on his ceremonial uniform and did a question and answer session with the students. He also brought old photographs and war memorabilia. His story of watching a comrade get engulfed with a German flamethrower will make you not want to see another war again. Everyone in the gym gave him a standing ovation.

The school ceremony would always end with the reading of Flanders Field and the playing of The Last Post.

Now that Remembrance Day is a holiday, I wonder if schools still have Remembrance Day ceremonies so kids can still......remember?

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Now that Remembrance Day is a holiday, I wonder if schools still have Remembrance Day ceremonies so kids can still......remember?
    Yes they do, there was a good one at my kids school last year, with an invited veteran describing experiences he had.

Remembrance Day Moment of Silence

Edmonton Transit is proud to participate in a moment of silence at 11am on November 11. The entire system including buses and LRT trains will stop at the nearest station or bus stop and observe one minute of silence to pay special tribute to all veterans in recognition of Remembrance Day.

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...y-service.aspx

C2E Super Addict

^ CP Rail does the same thing

I dont think it should be mandatory. But I think it speaks volumes on a persons character when they do not observe it.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Super Addict

And I think that people who don't take their hats off during the anthem at the game are disrespectful losers. But to make a law of it? Nope.

Not mandatory but children should be taught at an early age to show respect for all who fought in wars and the reason we observe Rememberance Day.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

^Hopefully post deleted. Article sent to me by e-mail. Unknown origin of original content and not a very good article to boot.
    Last edited by Gemini; 09-11-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Previewing pasted posts prevents preposterous and prodigiously poopy postings.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Hopefully post deleted. Article sent to me by e-mail. Unknown origin of original content and not a very good article to boot.

C2E Continued Contributor

I'm usually sleeping so technically I observe it. Mmmm Wednesday holiday.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

I spoke with somebody who was commenting on having a day off on Wednesday and I encouraged her to attend one of the ceremonies. As I understand, that is the only reason this was ever created a holiday to begin with - to allow people time to attend the ceremonies without missing work.

At my employer we have employees in various provinces so we are each given the federal stat holidays plus several "floater" days to be used on locally celebrated holidays, if desired. However you are also free to take them at any time, including combining several of the floaters together, so in essence they get treated the same as vacation days.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

We spoke in our office and most people preferred to work on Wednesday and have an extra day off around Christmas, however anyone who did want the day off or part of the day off to attend ceremonies are permitted to (but obviously if they take the extra day around the holidays they'll be out a day of vacation) and we'll be observing a moment of silence at 11am.

Maybe we need to change the definition of stat holiday, because as far as I'm concerned a stat day means stores should be closed. I refuse to shop on Remembrance Day.
    Wrecker, it's good that you make that choice. But if the government forced businesses to close, well, that's a bit ironic, isn't it?

C2E Super Addict

^ Not sure what is ironic? Governments job involves enacting legislation. Some people have no choice, and are forced to work on November 11. There is nothing wrong, or ironic, for the government to establish a law that gives people a day off. Governing is what society expects, and by no means enfringes on "rights"...which is where I assume you were going with this.

But if I owned my own business, I should have the right to keep it open and work that day if I wanted to, I think.

Its Ironic that they fought for our freedom, and now our freedom to respect them or not is being taken away and forced onto you. Thats what I assume he is getting at.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I...in no way, shape, or form....want a moment of silence to be mandated.

A moment of silence is but one way to say thank you to the service men and women who go to places we never hear of, and see unspeakable horror, yet try in their best way to promote what we see as Canadian values and freedoms.

I will read "In Flanders Fields". I will wear the poppy. I will observe the moment of silence. However, I will also not stop with that. I will be reminded of this sacrifice every time I walk by a memorial or cenotaph. I will always be reminded of this when I see my grandfather's WWI era military issue equipment. I know more than enough veterans and even some currently serving, to never forget.

However…I believe this should be a Stat. Not only does it encourage people to take the day to be with their families, and allows them to take their families to a ceremony should the so choose, but also the continued public awareness of why this stat is in place will re-enforce that this day you have…this freedom you have to spend time with your families…is brought to you by your friendly neighbourhood grunt buried in many places worldwide. If that shopkeeper wants to open on this day, the extra cost I feel is a little bit to bear given why the day off is being provided to the general populace.

Our office is exactly like raz’s…we can play with the day of vacation…but I don’t think that the significance of this day should be one where there is even a thought of whether or not there is vacation to take…it should just be…after all, it is ONE DAY…and the soldiers are serving 24x7x365 to give these businesses the ability to freely operate. To argue against this…well IMO…is absolutely hypocritical…and shows the absolute callousness of what the Canadian business world has become…bottom line all the time…

The funny thing today is that the shops in the lower level of our office tower are closed save one franchised coffee shop. The most poignant thing that hit me is that this franchised coffee shop is owned by a born in Canada Canadian…and the closed shops (recognizing the day) are owned by recent immigrants to this country. It stood out quite hard to me…the people who came here just may be respecting the sacrifice of the soldiers who gave them this country…while we still demand our coffee…it made the little Tassimo in my office that much more enjoyable this morning. I am not putting too much into this…but it was a rather…shall we say “interesting” observation.

Remembrance Day is not about glorifying war. It is not about celebrating generals. It is also not about you raising your own bias about war, what war is, or the need for a military.

It is about respecting the foot soldier, the infantry soldier, the front line grunt…the people who get dirty on our behalf…whether conscripted or volunteer…who on behalf of the government that WE elected with the process WE allow to be in place go to these remote theatres and also defend our own shores. So, if you have an issue with the current mission in the Afghan theatre or with the military’s role in general, you need to look in the mirror. They are acting on behalf of the government you bothered to vote for, or bothered not to, under this system. If you want change, maybe you need to get off your pious rear end and do something yourself, instead of relying on others…including those brave souls “in Flanders Fields.”

…but take some time today to honour the sacrifice...however you want to.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Its Ironic that they fought for our freedom, and now our freedom to respect them or not is being taken away and forced onto you. Thats what I assume he is getting at.
    Exactly.

Yes, it bothers me that many businesses allow employees to "trade" Remembrance Day in lieu for another day off, but I'm not comfortable with government forcing its hand. Rather, I think discussions like this do more to give people a better understanding of the importance of observing Remembrance Day.

And to add to Richard's excellent post above, it's about acknowledging the people who put their lives on the line for something much bigger than themselves.

First One is Always Free

Default stupidest poll ever

look if you make something mandatory all you do is harbor resentment by people that don't want to participate

C2E Super Addict

I would agree to Remembrance Day being taught in schools as mandatory, as well as being part of a citizenship test.