Thread: Dusted off Regional Co-operation deck from C2E regional focus group 2007

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Default Dusted off Regional Co-operation deck from C2E regional focus group 2007

*pufffft* ....cough cough...darn dust bunnies...

... I dusted this old feller off...this is the C2E Regional Forum we held over 3 sessions in late 2007 early 2008.

Click here for the .pdf

This is not the final version we hoped to complete as we were asked to slow down by interested parties - we forwarded this to players in the regional game, and they were rather excited about what we had...but were worried about the distraction as baby steps were first...

...so forgive the incomplete thoughts in some slides, but I think this gives the overall concept of what the direction was...and at 73 slides...well...

...just so you know, I removed the participant names for this version as that is not important here...what I will say is that we had a rather dynamic group of people from Edmonton, St Albert, and Spruce Grove...and a good split of annex/status quo...but the end result is strangely similar to a thought in this thread...

EDIT...I pulled this one off the thread I originally posted too as I am curious to see how far off, or how good, 10+ extremely different minds were when they sat down with a clean sheet...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...I'm surprised that Ins hasn't commented yet...

Partially Addicted to C2E

Model #4 gives me the chills...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I was personally a proponent of #5 as the "growth nodes" are concentrated to grow inward over ~200 years.

Speaking for myself, my biggest concern all throughout these sessions was the protection of agrarian lands (as well as nature lands) while ensuring that the "city" could grow appropriately. This did not mean that the "urban growth boundary" was not littered with green zones and the like at the discretion of the leaders/council of each administration district, or even a percentage calculation mandated centrally by "Edmonton", yet administered by each zone from a deployment/character/aesthetic standpoint.

4 and 5 accomplished the same thing overall IMO...they gave enough autonomy for the major things the denziens seem to care about - location of schools, color of light posts, etc while eliminating the region-wide arguing over revenue and who sprawls where, or if a new community was even needed (addressing the concern of new "towns" springing up). The "region" was large enough and with the right revenue model, the towns would survive as wards of the admin district...even if they still had an elected "administrator"...

One thing we didn't decide on is how far the districts could/should go. An hour's commute by car was one thing thrown around, which would have made the boroughs go not as far out, and give the "counties" some land to run as a county...or you could keep them (county lines) the same, and have the admin districts have an area for rural sustainment...and the "manhattan" area all about density...

We realized that we could go on forever...but 4/5 were the favs...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Oh, I see Ins is replying!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    ...I'm surprised that Ins hasn't commented yet...
    I don't really agree with the foundations or the believe that most people don't care.

Richard, I do respect your passion for the things you care about though, even if I don't agree.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...hence why I was waiting for your response...and was rather sad that you didn't attend these sessions...

...I am really curious to hear your responses....every discussion needs balance...