Thread: Vimy Ridge possible twin-arena location

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Default Vimy Ridge possible twin-arena location

Vimy Ridge possible twin-arena location
    City looks to replace aging facilities elsewhere with NHL-size rinks, field house
    BY RYAN CORMIER, EDMONTON JOURNALSEPTEMBER 18, 2009

The Vimy Ridge Academy site in Bonnie Doon has been chosen as a possible location for a twin arena and field house.

A feasibility study has been done for a twin arena with NHL-sized ice that can seat 500 people at one sheet and 250 at the other. The facility would also have 12 dressing rooms, a lobby with four multipurpose rooms and an ice-machine area.

The field house would have seating for 100, a fitness centre, commercial tenant space and six dressing rooms, says the study recently presented to the community services committee.

"It's still very, very early in this process," said Roger Jevne, the city's director of recreational facilities development.

"We need to replace a couple of arenas on the south side and this is one of the options."

There are also preliminary discussions with the University of Alberta to build an arena on the south campus, although the Bonnie Doon proposal is further along.

The estimated cost is$32 million.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...133/story.html

Wha? Huh? Mature neighborhood love? Dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I love the location, since it's walking distance.

But hopefully not at the expense of the soccer field between the school and the traffic circle. That is bar none, the best kept, lushest, greenest soccer field in the city. It's greener and thicker than 90% of the private lawns.
    Or the 4 tennis courts, which are lit and in very good shape.

There's some lesser soccer fields on the southwest corner of the school which would be good for this. Vimy ridge is a ballet/hockey academy I think? Plus Metro college, so there isn't much use for all the soccer fields.

Yes, I know they have a hockey program... my cousin went there before going to play for the Kelowna Rockets.

Tipton
    I will not miss it's 8'x14' dressing rooms full of 15 players, their equipment, and 3 coaches. It was ridiculous.

Edmonton needs to build or rebuild probably 10-15 sheet of ice in the next decade, not even to meet growth but to replace aging arenas that are on the verge of falling apart. Most of them are 40-50 years old at this point.

I like it, we need more rinks. But, $32m seems a lot of money. I mean, is all this seating really necessary? As an extreme comparison, the city could build 21 rink in a boxes for that $32m (Calgary is paying $1.5m per rink):

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...5-46284befec79

Surely something between the $1.5m bare bones rink in a box, and these gold plated premium rinks, can be found? That newspaper article says a new indoor sheet should average cost $10m. So, if this will have 2 sheets, why will it not cost $20m? For $32m, seems to me, we should get at least 3 sheets indoors, are Edmonton taxpayers and hockey players being gouged?
    Last edited by moahunter; 20-09-2009 at 08:10 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I like it, we need more rinks. But, $32m seems a lot of money. I mean, is all this seating really necessary? As an extreme comparison, the city could build 21 rink in a boxes for that $32m (Calgary is paying $1.5m per rink):

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...5-46284befec79

Surely something between the $1.5m bare bones rink in a box, and these gold plated premium rinks, can be found? That newspaper article says a new indoor sheet should average cost $10m. So, if this will have 2 sheets, why will it not cost $20m? For $32m, seems to me, we should get at least 3 sheets indoors, are Edmonton taxpayers and hockey players being gouged?
    It also says there will be a fieldhouse

C2E Long Term Contributor

wonderful to hear! I am still quite worried that we will lose many central arenas, but articles like this give me some hope.

I would really like to see Oliver's rink/pool redone
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    It also says there will be a fieldhouse
    For $10m more? My point is maybe we should be making simpler rinks, with fewer stands and extras, so that we have more of them for the same money. I think there are already plenty of rinks with stands for those bigger games, what we need is more stripped down rinks for minor games / kids - that's where there is a shortage that will free up space.

Ideally - it would be great if we had some sort of simple standard double rink that would be purchased in bulk - an update of the old rinks like Oliver (which are very similar but to small rooms by todays standards).
    Last edited by moahunter; 20-09-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Lots of people go to watch their kids play... parents, grandparents, friends. It's a pretty big deal actually. I've seen crowds as big as a 400 people going to watch their 10yo kids play hockey.

^yes I know - I have kids in hockey. But there are a number of rinks that can handle the bigger games / tournaments, and could be prioritized for that. Most of the time you don't get more than a couple of dozen parents/family members for each team. This includes the many practices, power skating, and regular season games. Most of the stands are empty 90% of the time, we end up building too much just for that 10%, when it could be managed by better scheduling if we had more mix. As an example, River Cree North rink where they have virtually no seating, and it works fine. We need many more simple rinks like that, much more than we need more Callingwoods / Kinsmen's / Coronations, etc.
    Last edited by moahunter; 21-09-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spelling

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Plenty of small towns in Alberta do just fine with their rinks inside of metal prefab buildings, with 3-5 rows of seating on one side of the ice and 4 dressing rooms.

For a large percentage of the ice time used in this city, that should be perfectly fine. We need ice surfaces, not hockey shrines.

Quote Originally Posted by danimalrex View Post
    Plenty of small towns in Alberta do just fine with their rinks inside of metal prefab buildings, with 3-5 rows of seating on one side of the ice and 4 dressing rooms.

For a large percentage of the ice time used in this city, that should be perfectly fine. We need ice surfaces, not hockey shrines.
    Exactly. We don't need rinks like Callingwood or Clareview with meeting rooms, large fancy lobbies full of glass and plants, etc etc. We need a whole whack of replacement rinks for the Olivers, Crestwoods, Westwoods, Tiptons and so on where it's either a sheet or two of ice, 4 dressing rooms per surface, and a small lobby for a couple vending machines and maybe a concession. Half a dozen rows of bench seating on one side of the ice is plenty for spectators.

I know it's hard for city planners to just build plain, cheap structures when they get all these fancy proposals from architects, but when I see high schools spending millions on new front entrances (St. Josephs's) or having fancy architecture when it's an addition to a very plain, very ugly school (steel going up at Archbishop MacDonald indicates as such, why do we need fancy sloping roofs and atriums when there were dilapitated portables there for 10 years, that kind of thing costs money) I just scratch my head.

I'm not asking for Eastern Bloc architecture, but it's ridiculous how much money is spent on strictly optional features for many public buildings.
    Last edited by raz0469; 21-09-2009 at 02:16 PM.

We need these rinks, that is true but why put them in these poorly preforming tin can pre-eng steel buildings.
    We can use a better preforming building and one that also catches your eye and allows us to get excited even going to watch the kids play in them.
    example:
    http://www.lubortrubka.com/jpegs/abb...a-interior.jpg
    or
    http://www.lubortrubka.com/jpegs/sou...na/SSIA_02.jpg

^What would that cost "wood" (notice those pictures have lots of expensive wood in them too)? I think that's still to big - what is being suggested on here is something even simpler, perhaps even steel frame with those fabric type exteriors.

It just seems stupid now the City is designing all these special arenas (this one is for a hockey school that won't even have parents watching most of the time), when we could get much better value for money, esp. if City considered a standard design / bulk purchase. Why not open it up to bids for more than 1 at a time, saying we need to build 10 double sheet rinks with good sized changing rooms, and basic/minimal seating, and see what comes back from the marketplace? That might interest pre-fab manufacturers all over North America.

I wonder what those would cost??? They are "dead sexy" with all that wood.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I wonder what those would cost??? They are "dead sexy" with all that wood.
    the first was 33% less than steel and the second was 25% less.
    see:
    http://www.lubortrubka.com/sports_re...facilities.htm
    and they have the breakdown on the buildings.

I do agree that these examples are a lot more than what is needed but a scaled down box building could be done quite easily and affordable. We even have one of the manufactures in our own city!

There was a time that these buildings were done out of wood (generaly glulam) not just because of cost but because of the natural behavior and benefits of the material.

C2E SME

One thing I like about this suggested location is the proximity to the future Bonnie Doon LRT station.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

With expected lives of buildings being 50 years for this type of project, a cheaply erected, expensive to operate metal prefab building that is uninviting and quickly unsuitable for the needs of the community is not what we should be building.

C2E SME

I think if they were to build a twin arena and field house, I think they should look at just building a rec center that could have a fitness center as well as other amenities depending on how much room there is.

We do need arenas. Well i agree we don't need shrines, we also don't need more crappy, ugly, purpose built structures in this town. If we can't rein in this cheep, tight wad mentality, this city is going to keep on it's downward slide. I've said it before...at this rate Edmonton will be the first city with a vinyl sided skyscraper, because "vinyl works just fine". What's wrong with a bit of quality for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorc View Post
    We do need arenas. Well i agree we don't need shrines, we also don't need more crappy, ugly, purpose built structures in this town. If we can't rein in this cheep, tight wad mentality, this city is going to keep on it's downward slide. I've said it before...at this rate Edmonton will be the first city with a vinyl sided skyscraper, because "vinyl works just fine". What's wrong with a bit of quality for a change.
    that is pretty much what i said last night at the open house on this.

they are going to put the twin arenas in the NW corner of the lot, destroying the uber nice soccer field. all will be attached to vimy ridge school. metro continuing ed has to move somewhere else for the plan to proceed (hopefully a recently closed, mature area school). the old elementary school on the grounds gets demolished and turned in to a park. addition of about 250-300 parking stalls.

LRT is to run right beside it. the plan is to tear out the traffic circle, which i think is a bad idea (i guess necessary if an LRT is to run through it. that traffic circle works like a hot damn.

i asked one of the consultants why the city didn't keep this expertise in house rather than outsource all this stuff to consultants. he said it's a good deal for him, as a consultant.

good turnout, and overall very positive response from the community. main concern had more to do with extra parking due to LRT, which has nothing to do with this plan.

C2E SME

When/where was the open house?

Doesn't Vimy Ridge have a hockey academy there? If so then the arena more than a field makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    When/where was the open house?

Doesn't Vimy Ridge have a hockey academy there? If so then the arena more than a field makes sense.
    It was on Apr 26 from 5-8 or so.

Vimy ridge has a hockey academy and a ballet academy. apparently, the school enrollment is very strong and growing.

Is this a thing anymore, or has it been abandoned?

Construction continues full bore. Idylwylde is getting a nice looking new playground/outdoor venue space where the ole Metro High was located. Don't know about timelines but Vimy has been a construction site for going on two years now so here's hoping they finish before the new school year begins.

Too bad COE blew a great opportunity for a new rec center to replace Bonnie Doon pool.