Thread: Retro 124 Street

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Retro 124 Street

We've got Historic Old Strathcona, Historic 104 Street, and probably eventually Historic the Quarters.

The history of 124 Street (nee Edward Street) goes back to the early part of the 20th century, with it really taking off around 1908. In spite of that, and in spite of the fact that it is flanked by neighbourhoods that are very old by Edmonton standards the street itself has very little historic architecture. Just a handful of buildings remain, all basically within a stone's throw from the intersection of the former Edward Street and Athabasca Avenue.

What 124 Street does have a lot of is Modernism, but while these buildings are old they are not "historic" and probably won't be for a long time. If they were any other medium though, they would be praised for their quirks as kitsch or vintage, and so here is a quick tour of Retro 124 Street.

Starting a little bit further east down Jasper, and working west and then north:

Partially Addicted to C2E

Cool photos!

By the way, Populuxe rules. The owner, Tony, knows his stuff and takes requests for things to look for when he's furniture hunting. Thumbs up!

Partially Addicted to C2E

Thanks for the tour, 124 is one cool area.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Not sure why that Planet Organic food store has all its windows blocked out. Are they afraid of showing people shopping inside of it, or what?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^Perhaps the direct sunlight made it expensive to cool in the summer?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

I appreciate the photos, and the tour, and now I appreciate 124st a little more.

I just discovered PedalHead on 124 and Jasper. Great bike shop. MEC, of course, and Western Cycle are excellent, and I spend way too much money there. It's a dangerous few blocks for me.

And, regarding interesting architecture, anyone remember the Electronics Ark? It was on west side of 124th, around 106 ave (?), and it was a small standalone wood building shaped like an ark. And guess what they sold there?

There's still a unique electronics shop on 124th (not sure what ave). Edmonton Radio, or something. The older gent who owns and runs it is a radio buff, and they have all kinds of old tubes (!!!, including vintage collector tubes worth hundreds of dollars), radios, amps, 'n stuff.

124 st isn't Whyte Ave, and that's a good thing. I like Whyte, but one is enough.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

never answered e-mail

Great shots Newfangled. What time and day of the week did you take those shots? I live just off of 124 street and the only thing that depresses me is the the continuous lack of foot traffic. Just need a little more residential density and I think it will take the street and area to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Not sure why that Planet Organic food store has all its windows blocked out. Are they afraid of showing people shopping inside of it, or what?
    That place was good when it was Earl's, but in my mind the building will forever be associated with one of my two worst experiences with Edmonton architectural design (the other being the utterly dreadful two tone green "The Picasso" buildings).

I'm sure some remember when one of the Fuller restaurant family (much respect) decided to update Earl's by changing it to some kind of black and white cow palace thing, complete with 3 or 4 huge black and white cow butts sticking out of the roof. At least I think they were cows.

Surprisingly, the sight of giant cows asses didn't entice people to eat, drink, or hang out there, and it closed. I think the cows stayed up for awhile though.

Much better now, thanks.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ That was the now-renowned Cactus Club, or so I'm told. I remember the cows but not the name.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    There's still a unique electronics shop on 124th (not sure what ave). Edmonton Radio, or something. The older gent who owns and runs it is a radio buff, and they have all kinds of old tubes (!!!, including vintage collector tubes worth hundreds of dollars), radios, amps, 'n stuff.

Another modern building. I can't really fault them for their awnings (much as I hate awnings), but I do think it would look cooler if they got rid of them, and just had the signage directly on the big blank wall, or running along the top.

^ and I just realized that Jimbo might actually be talking about Premier Audio place that's in Princeton Place on 124 street just south of 103ave. I've never been in either because High-end audio culture scares me.
    Last edited by newfangled; 30-06-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post

Another modern building. I can't really fault them for their awnings (much as I hate awnings), but I do think it would look cooler if they got rid of them, and just had the signage directly on the big blank wall, or running along the top.
    The Audio Ark has been selling high end audio equipment on 124th street since the late 70s if my memory serves me correctly.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

^ and I just realized that Jimbo might actually be talking about Premier Audio place that's in Princeton Place on 124 street just south of 103ave. I've never been in either because High-end audio culture scares me.
    You have a right to be scared.

I got into high end audio back in the early 80s and it was a real money pit in the neverending quest for diminishing returns in perceived audio quality.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Yes and no. It was audio ark (I'm sure about the ark part, anyway), and they outgrew the old building. I think it was quite a nice building that fell into disrepair, shaped like a giant ark (as I recall, it was quite awhile ago). I think they may have sold nice stuff then (I believe my uncle was a customer), but not like this. As I recall, it was more like an electronics shop with a front counter. Maybe the dad of a current owner? Just a guess.

I saw my first movie at the Roxy. There was "Clarence Ploof" guitar store, which sold Silvertone guitars and amps, among other brands. I still have my uncle's amp from there. My grandfather's barber shop moved to 124st and 102 ave when he had to leave the Tegler Bldg. The houses I lived in (grandparents) when I was around 9 or ten are still there, just off 124. I spent so much money in the Boston Pizza on 118th off 124 in my early 20's that I think I funded the company's initial growth.

I've got a lot of fond memories of 124 st. There is so much good about it, but I still feel uneasy, as if it could go either way, especially as it goes further down to 118 ave. My Mom is scared to go there, and won't at night. I've personally never had a problem, and I've been there a lot more than my Mom.

I really appreciate all of the great photos you take. You have an eye for it. I hope you do more. Thanks, Newf.

Jimbo, was that the barbershop that's still there in the little house, or was it somewhere else?

And as for safety, the strip right at 118ave isn't in the greatest shape, but aside from the Inglewood Pub there's Chandler's (which I've never been too but which has been around quite awhile), a BPs and McDonalds (the definition of non-threatening), along with some medical labs, and the St. John's ambulance HQ. 111-118 isn't really somewhere a non-resident would want to walk (and my tour ended at 111) because it's all residential with only one little corner store. I don't think 124st can grow as a shopping district past 111ave anytime in the foreseeable future. From 111-107 it's corsets and leprechaun shops. Beyond that it's all offices, salons and boutiques with a few tattoo parlours thrown in.

One issue perceived-safety-wise is the limited hours, since a lot of stores close at 5ish and aren't open sundays. But that's a chicken-and-egg thing.

The small barber shop there now is "Larres", or something spelled kind of weird I think. Gramp's barber shop was where Cafe De Ville is now. It was called "Connie's".

If I had some money, brains, talent, and a work ethic, I would have liked to put a real diner in the former sub-shop space on 124 & 107. I never did see a for lease sign on the building, though it was unrented for awhile.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Nice photos. I've been through the Edmonton photo Archives but haven't found any photos taken of 106th St South of Jasper looking South from the '50's, 60's, 70's.

Jimbo: I recall eating at Mr. Sub where the Profesional building is now on the corner of 124th st and 102nd Ave.