Thread: The new issues/suggestions for C2E thread

Default The new issues/suggestions for C2E thread

Just refreshing this thread after the server move.

Some information about what we just did would be nice I guess. You might not notice anything different at all and you might in fact notice more problems than before on the front page (and maybe in the forums too). Certain features are missing and it looks like the downtime was for nothing. Don't be disappointed though.

What we basically did was move the entire front end system over to a new CMS that should allow us to add some great new features more easily (once we get everything else back up and running). Also we have finally moved the server onto it's own VPS so we aren't sharing infrastructure anymore and we have more control. This control also allow us to monitor/diagnose/fix these stubborn database errors that are seem to still be kicking around.

Of course, with mo' changes come mo' problems. So please, be a good C2E citizen and let us know here when/if you experience oddities and issues. The only thing we ask is for more of your understanding and patience with any problems.
    Time to grow up.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Ceres View Post
    Just refreshing this thread after the server move.

Some information about what we just did would be nice I guess. You might not notice anything different at all and you might in fact notice more problems than before on the front page (and maybe in the forums too). Certain features are missing and it looks like the downtime was for nothing. Don't be disappointed though.

What we basically did was move the entire front end system over to a new CMS that should allow us to add some great new features more easily (once we get everything else back up and running). Also we have finally moved the server onto it's own VPS so we aren't sharing infrastructure anymore and we have more control. This control also allow us to monitor/diagnose/fix these stubborn database errors that are seem to still be kicking around.

Of course, with mo' changes come mo' problems. So please, be a good C2E citizen and let us know here when/if you experience oddities and issues. The only thing we ask is for more of your understanding and patience with any problems.
    seems like the "new CMS front end system" isn't as friendly for blackberry's... [consistently returning "a problem occurred while trying to render the page:].
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Long Term Contributor

One feature I've noticed is the elimination of nested quoting. When you hit the Quote button it only quotes the current post and eliminates any quotes in that post.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

This should be back now.
    Time to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    seems like the "new CMS front end system" isn't as friendly for blackberry's... [consistently returning "a problem occurred while trying to render the page:].
    Consistently as in "every time you visit the page with your blackberry"? Or is it that it works some of the time but mostly not others? We have been having server trouble in general so you might be visiting while this is happening.
    Time to grow up.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Consistently as in "every time you visit the page with your blackberry"? Or is it that it works some of the time but mostly not others? We have been having server trouble in general so you might be visiting while this is happening.
    Tweaked some java/table settings back and forth and things seem to be where they should be with no error messages - not sure if it's coincidental or at which end there was an issue but don't really care as long it works... Thanks

I wold like to see a LRT thread Category created under regional issues. I think it is too important to just be lumped in with all the other transportational issues and it is also too large.

Can we also have a health section set up under regional issues?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^I agree on the second sentiment, but why just LRT?

I'd rather it be like a big transportation forum with the following categories
    -Buses Rail & Rail Transit (opportunity to talk about LRT, commuter rail, streetcar, PRT, and stuff like VIA)
    -Airports
    -Road systems (ring roads, highways, potholes, new roads, ped malls, whatever).

Hope that helps.
    ----

can we please make it so that the site doesnt log you out every 20 minutes? i understand the use behind it, but why not 30,40 or whatever minutes. it's really annoying cause it makes me feel like i have to refresh all the time.
    ----

Dude, its not the site. ITs the cookie cleaner on your computer.

If you delete your cookie, you will be logged out, as their is no cookie remembering your login.

My account stays logged in on multiple computers for weeks on end.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

On SkyscraperPage it takes I think an hour for it to log out. :shrug:
    ----

Again, it's something specifically with your computer. Mine stay logged in indefinitely. As Medwards has said, it's something to do with your cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
    On SkyscraperPage it takes I think an hour for it to log out. :shrug:
    Look no further then the computer you are on.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I have CookieCuller installed on my Firefox so it can save cookies for C2E and other sites and delete the rest.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^Interesting. Thanks, I'll look into that. No expert on cookies, so maybe that'll help.
    ----

I'd rather C2E than work!

This is freaking me out.

Last night when I clicked on the Shoppers Drug Mart (Whyte Ave) thread I get a pop-up window asking for a password for gallery.me.com.

I thought maybe my home computer was affected by a spyware. But now, as I type on my work's computer, I get the same pop-up.
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=8981

What's the deal with that?

Thanks.

Pretty sure someone linked to pictures inside their mobileme gallery (apple's online services that operate out of me.com) without using the publically accessible URLs, prompting for the authorization... User error, ignore and move along
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

post has been removed...

I'll post a pm to the offender. I've notice a few other posts by the same person...

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Is there anyway we can get an agree/disagree button for posts?

Click for example: http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2009/1...socialcomments

It is a good idea, but in my quick search, there are no ready built modifications that have that feature. We would have to build it, or find someone else who can build it which takes time. If you can find it or build it let us know and we'll try to get it up.
    Time to grow up.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

If I knew how, I would certainly do it... unfortunately I have no idea how to proceed with building it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator5 View Post
    Do not repeatedly QUOTE everything that has been said. It's made this thread a mess.

EDIT what you want to respond to so that only the relevant bits are in the quote section.

I did some cleaning up this time but I can just as easily delete your posts. That's a lot easier and quicker to do on my part.
    Obviously some of the mods require more to do...

Is this in the TOS or just your pet peeve?

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post

This is not in the TOS... it's just common sense. I added the ability to automatically do quotes of quotes because I trusted that people wouldn't abuse it... it's not in the default vBulletin install. If it is abused though we might have to turn that mod off.

In summary, think of others who are reading the thread when posting.
    Time to grow up.

^Turn the functionality off then, so that it only quotes the most recent post. That's how 99% of boards operate, and it's always been an annoyance on these boards.

Also, as I mentioned in my report of that moderator post, it was completely out of line for a moderator to threaten deletion of posts that don't violate ANY of the boards terms of service or guidelines. This kind of inconsistent, brash enforcement of made up rules is exactly why people complain about the moderation on these boards so frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    ^Turn the functionality off then, so that it only quotes the most recent post. That's how 99% of boards operate, and it's always been an annoyance on these boards.

Also, as I mentioned in my report of that moderator post, it was completely out of line for a moderator to threaten deletion of posts that don't violate ANY of the boards terms of service or guidelines. This kind of inconsistent, brash enforcement of made up rules is exactly why people complain about the moderation on these boards so frequently.
    I'd like to think I am overall a positive contributor to this site and haven't complained at all, but I don't want to be talked down to like a 5 year old and the tone of the moderator with the bolded and italicized font was condescending.
    Go ahead, delete the posts of people trying to contribute and have a discussions, while you are at it just go ahead and delete the credibility of the whole site too.

I guess we should tighten up the rules again...

though this pretty much covers it

Rule #7 - No commercial-oriented posts (spam), and no flooding with useless content or content designed to engage readers into attacks or flooding other forums - Clarification[

C2E is a forum that promotes civility and decorum. We have been fairly open with our discussions and we love exuberance. But we have seen an increase in "report posts" on specific behaviours, including spam style postings, a general loss of decorum, where debate has been replaced with deliberate attempts to flame members and promote posts designed to provoke a moderator response. In response, moderators will become more assertive with those posters who continue to ignore member and moderator coaching to reduce or change behaviour.

C2E aims to be a place where discussion and contribution are the norm. There are plenty of sites out there where you can throw sheep, debate celebrity eye colour, speak in tongues, etc. C2E's audience and the people we are trying to connect you to demand a higher standard of discourse, and we aim to foster a community that fills this niche.
    Perhaps the moderator was a little brash, but alas, I don't see the offenders attempting to make an apology to a) the community or b) the moderator that had to clean up the garbage quoting.

This is not in the TOS... it's just common sense. I added the ability to automatically do quotes of quotes because I trusted that people wouldn't abuse it... it's not in the default vBulletin install. If it is abused though we might have to turn that mod off.

In summary, think of others who are reading the thread when posting.
    Watch your wording. Abuse applies some sort of malicious intent. I in no way abused it, I simply used the DEFAULT quote system in place.
    If you or the mods have a personal beef with the default quotes system, well lucky you, you can actually change it!

I'd like to think I am overall a positive contributor to this site and haven't complained at all, but I don't want to be talked down to like a 5 year old and the tone of the moderator with the bolded and italicized font was condescending.
    Go ahead, delete the posts of people trying to contribute and have a discussions, while you are at it just go ahead and delete the credibility of the whole site too.
    Perhaps you could contribute by showing good forum manners?? It's not exactly rocket science to figure out that quoting each and every post in the discussion makes its a near nightmare to read this forum. Boo-friggen-hoo. A moderator tried to make the community better, and in doing so, you got your {expletives removed}

Why should anyone apologize for posts that are COMPLETELY in keeping with past practices on these boards? Look at any thread that goes for more than a few posts, EVERYONE on the board simply hits the quote button (whose functionality was set by the site's operators and can easily be changed to be less spammy). It has NEVER been mentioned that posting in such a manner is a faux pas here or against the TOS.

So no, I don't feel any obligation to apologize nor should anyone else. And in fact your further posts defending such moderation do nothing but to reinforce my disdain for the general moderation on these boards. And to think I made the above post before this:

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards
    Perhaps you could contribute by showing good forum manners?? It's not exactly rocket science to figure out that quoting each and every post in the discussion makes its a near nightmare to read this forum. Boo-friggen-hoo. A moderator tried to make the community better, and in doing so, you got your {expletives removed}.
    How many times does Medwards have to show he is the exact wrong personality type to be moderating these boards?

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

Rule #7 - No commercial-oriented posts (spam), and no flooding with useless content or content designed to engage readers into attacks or flooding other forums - Clarification[

C2E is a forum that promotes civility and decorum. We have been fairly open with our discussions and we love exuberance. But we have seen an increase in "report posts" on specific behaviours, including spam style postings, a general loss of decorum, where debate has been replaced with deliberate attempts to flame members and promote posts designed to provoke a moderator response. In response, moderators will become more assertive with those posters who continue to ignore member and moderator coaching to reduce or change behaviour.

C2E aims to be a place where discussion and contribution are the norm. There are plenty of sites out there where you can throw sheep, debate celebrity eye colour, speak in tongues, etc. C2E's audience and the people we are trying to connect you to demand a higher standard of discourse, and we aim to foster a community that fills this niche.
    Perhaps the moderator was a little brash, but alas, I don't see the offenders attempting to make an apology to a) the community or b) the moderator that had to clean up the garbage quoting.
    "...promote posts designed to provoke a moderator response..." Who wanted to get the Mods attention?
    Using the default quote setting...wow really trying to get you to ring in.
    "Garbage quoting"...how hard are you trying to push people, long time members, away from this site?
    Again watch your wording.

^^^ too many quotes in this post

DanC. It's been my experience as a moderator of other forums, that any warning comes off that way to 2/3rds of any user-base. It doesn't matter how much you sugarcoat it or not, the person who acted inappropriately in the first place, comes back with the ever famous "now I'm a victim" retort.

Bold and italicized text indicates condescending tone. News to me.

To the topic at hand, any responsible forum member should have enough netiquette to realize over-quoting is no good for lurkers or active contributors. It's just basic manners here.

If the problem is so bad for the moderators to maintain, a automated solution should be sought out. At another forum, it's on my to-do list to add a feature where a post with x% of the "new" content is within the quote tags would not be accepted, with an error asking the user to trim the quoted material. No idea what the value x should be, but can be tweaked once the solution is deployed.

Edit. Phew, I'm late many posts in this discussion. Apparently it takes me longer to post, something like 10 responses later!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    DanC. It's been my experience as a moderator of other forums, that any warning comes off that way to 2/3rds of any user-base. It doesn't matter how much you sugarcoat it or not, the person who acted inappropriately in the first place, comes back with the ever famous "now I'm a victim" retort.

Bold and italicized text indicates condescending tone. News to me.

To the topic at hand, any responsible forum member should have enough netiquette to realize over-quoting is no good for lurkers or active contributors. It's just basic manners here.

If the problem is so bad for the moderators to maintain, a automated solution should be sought out. At another forum, it's on my to-do list to add a feature where a post with x% of the "new" content is within the quote tags would not be accepted, with an error asking the user to trim the quoted material. No idea what the value x should be, but can be tweaked once the solution is deployed.

Edit. Phew, I'm late many posts in this discussion. Apparently it takes me longer to post, something like 10 responses later!
    Maybe you should have quoted the relevant post to which this applies...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

if there's any tendency for abuse here, it certainly isn't "excessive quoting" that fosters it... and limiting the ability to multi-quote from a single message simply makes it a pain having to use the multi-quote function (or pasting into and back from word) in drafting your reply, it won't - and shouldn't - stop it. don't want to read it? skip it - i don't think it's a moderators role to decide what was intended as an integral part of a post and it's content and it's context by the poster. sounds to me like too much control of the sand in the sand box by the playground monitors instead of worrying about who gets into the playground in the first place.

How many times does Medwards have to show he is the exact wrong personality type to be moderating these boards?
    Why does this keep coming up? Why is it so impossible to separate the moderator from the poster? For all anyone knows, Medwards may not even be a mod anymore.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Perhaps you could contribute by showing good forum manners?? It's not exactly rocket science to figure out that quoting each and every post in the discussion makes its a near nightmare to read this forum. Boo-friggen-hoo. A moderator tried to make the community better, and in doing so, you got your pee-pee slapped a bit for being a forum-dink.
    Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    Why does this keep coming up? Why is it so impossible to separate the moderator from the poster? For all anyone knows, Medwards may not even be a mod anymore.
    and is anyone really sure that this stems from Medwards who used that same mutiquote feature without editing in the above quoted post (which was included using the "multi-quote" reply option)... seems kind of like the pot and the kettle discussing their respective colours.

rumour has it...

rumour has it...
    Isn't this annoying?

rumour has it...
    Isn't this annoying?
    It gets more annoying the more quotes there are

rumour has it...
    Isn't this annoying?
    Geez, I can't figure out what I'm replying to here, I better quote everything

rumour has it...
    Isn't this annoying?
    Take it easy Bubbles, Julian will come along make it all better.

rumour has it...
    Isn't this annoying?
    Just in case everyone hasn't read everything, I re-quoted everything to make sure everyone was on track.

Quoting and re-quoting makes everyone have to scroll more and read everything everyone has posted multiple times.

rumour has it...
    Isn't this annoying?
    Take it easy Bubbles, Julian will come along make it all better.
    Thanks Cory&Trevor, I feel better now.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Isn't this annoying?
    it's got to the point where it certainly isn't the multi-quoting that's annoying here...

Thank you Medwards for quite adequately proving my point. And RTA, he most definitely remains a moderator.

what was your point again? I didn't think you made any...

My point was that the moderation here is incredibly inconsistent, and several of the moderators (or a couple in particular) are often times hardly better than forum trolls, gleefully sticking their thumbs in the eyes of their frequent targets of torment (I absolutely don't consider myself one of those).

Honestly, if you're not capable of following along, I've prepared the following summary (let me know if you'd like me to read it out loud to you):

1. A heated debate about whether a sidewalk on a downtown project should have been left open begins, and moves in to general construction practices and safety. Heated, but for the most part within the TOS of the site, and it seems to finish in it's own course.

2. An anonymous moderator comes in and smugly, brashly and condescendingly threatens to, in the future, delete posts that use the board supported (NON-DEFAULT) quotation feature without trimming excess posts, even though this has never been raised as an issue before and is more or less standard practice on the boards in hundreds of past discussions. In fact, the site admin admits that they turned the feature on themselves.

3. Several posters take issue with the anonymous threatening post, pointing out that none of the posts violated any of the board's terms and that if it was such a problem, the board's settings should be changed accordingly.

4. A non-anonymous moderator, Medwards, quotes some of the board rules that in no way justify the previous anonymous moderators post or threats of post deletions. He then questions why posters weren't apologizing for their posts, despite once again said posts not violating any of the board's rules or terms other than using a board feature as it was designed to function. Several posters point this out.

5. Medwards then makes another lovely, condescending, smarmy, sarcastic post about "forum manners" referencing another poster's genitalia. Keep in mind, once again, that Medwards is a forum moderator, and quite likely the original anonymous moderator (remind me again why having moderators anonymous and therefore unaccountable is good?).

6. I once again inquire as to what rules were broken and/or why an apology should be expected of anyone but the original anonymous moderator who threatened to unjustifiably delete posts, and who has steadfastly refused to apologize or otherwise take responsibility for sparking off a contentious debate over non-existent board rules.

7. Several other people comment, generally expressing similar opinions as DanC and myself and indeed pointing out Medwards doing EXACTLY what was threatened as justification for post deletion previously.

8. Medwards then makes 4 posts in a row (with several more following a single post by DanC) devoid of any actual content, "abusing" the default quotation feature in the same manner as he's been complaining about, and more or less gleefully trying to troll or goad posters into making further responses.

9. I point out what a farce Medwards has once again made of the board's moderation, and he feigns ignorance. I spend 20 minutes typing up this summary, and decide that with the current state of affairs and horrendously immature and inconsistent moderation prevalent on these boards that there's little point continuing to contribute here any longer.

Best of luck to everyone.

^ I agree with your summary with the exception of #9. If you are going to leave, just leave.

Keep in mind, once again, that Medwards is a forum moderator, and quite likely the original anonymous moderator (remind me again why having moderators anonymous and therefore unaccountable is good?).
    Because this point and possibly this entire thread would be moot if you didn't think/know Medwards is a moderator. It's been made pretty clear in every other "I hate the mods" thread that C2E allows and encourages its moderators to share their opinions and views as members of the community. I believe many of the moderators here are anonymous now for exactly this reason - to better separate the metaphysical contributor from the metaphysical moderator. You don't seem to want to see that difference even though this has been stated many times, over and over.

And I think that's why having anonymous moderators is a good thing.
    Strathcona City Separatist

It'd be nice to have a system like Slashdot, where if you post in a thread/on a topic you can't moderate it.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

People,

I apologize to all for the way this thread has gone. There are multiple offenders that have derailed this conversation, and yes, from multiple points of view. In reading this derailment, I can point out more than a few concerns, and it is not just potty mouths.

I also apologize for my lack of attention as of late, but there are some rather serious issues demanding my attention, especially the ones that pay me. There are also people that actually appreciate what I do and how much I care about their success, and the general positive progress in their lives and in this city. Those areas deserve my attention, and they shall receive it.

I ask that everyone go to their respective corners and calm down. I will review this thread in more detail when I have a few moments. Until then, I will lock this thread and create another site suggestions thread. This will remain in view however until myself and others have time to look this over fully.

================================================== ===========

A couple quick comments...

...Mod5 is not Medw....

...Mods are anonymous now because of a history of some members taking discussions too far...and scratching cars...threats...leaving interesting notes on windshields...since we allow your anonymity for the very reasons such as the freedom to have a position and your personal security...it is only fair that it is extended to the moderators...after all...that level of "accountability" goes both ways...and I am personally sick and tired of it being used as a beating stick when people refuse to be held to the same account for some of their rather...shall we say extreme...posts....

...an interesting side note...new mods...the existence is not rumor...but no one has started a "I hate so and so" thread on a newbie...even though newbies have their views and have become rather "engaged" as their non mod persona...so, I think there is a bit more anecdotal evidence in the back pocket...most of you don't react or create threads about meanies if you don't think the offensive opinion comes from the Stasi...or even a mall security guard...

[email protected] is exactly how we run...if you post an opinion on a thread...you no longer can moderate it...I am not sure if we need to enforce it systematically as I don't see rampant abuse...correct me via PM if I am wrong...I cannot promise you a fast response though.

@kcantor...thank you for taking my call...
    President and CEO - Airshow.