Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UCAMA | Ukrainian Museum | Under Construction

C2E Long Term Contributor

Incredibly slow.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

I wonder why it's moving so slowly?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

see that's what I am talking about. There may be stuff happening and guys working but the pace of things actually going up is glacial it seems.

Partially Addicted to C2E

there is so much work that has to be done to the foundation before they can move forward. Also a lot of work that has to be done to shore up the walls to ensure they will last once they start framing

Seriously do none of you have patience? How about we go tell them you are all not happy at the speed its going, and they should rush it. Then when someone falls though the floor or a wall falls on them, we can blame you because you wanted it done now just relax and give it time.

Whoa now.

This has been under construction for a few years now by my count. This whole thing started back in 2008 I believe (correct me if I am wrong).

There is no way that this build should be taking even close to how long this is. They have had a shell structure for ages now. And stabilizing the geology does not take that long nor does stabilizing walls. They have a massive steel frame to hold the walls in place if they are still shifting and moving and having stability problems someone has goofed up the numbers somewhere. Either way something just seems to be wrong that it is taking this long.

Does anyone know exactly how many months it has been at bare structure?

Not u/c per se, but rather to demo and put in place a structure to support the facade until their funding was secured/raised.
    www.decl.org

I understand everyone's eagerness to be finished. It should be a great finished product.

IanO is correct. The façade went up, then basically it sat vacant until last year waiting for funding.
    If you were inside the building you would understand the patience and care that needs to be taken with the supporting elements, it's incredibly complex, and most of it is to be saved and used in final construction.
    Also, with these types of significant restorations on old buildings (see Craft Beer Market), various abatements and unexpected issues arise that need to be priced mid-project, that funding is not necessarily immediately available for nor planned schedule-wise, unfortunately.

I'd rather C2E than work!

The sloth like progress is in part incompetent project management, incompetent contractor - under a Board that is not capable of administering the project.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    The sloth like progress is in part incompetent project management, incompetent contractor - under a Board that is not capable of administering the project.
    Curious as to your reasoning behind blaming the contractor? They are obviously an easy scapegoat, as they are on any project, but these issues are rarely as simple as you've stated.
    I would just like to know if you have additional info that we are all are not aware of?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
    I understand everyone's eagerness to be finished. It should be a great finished product.

IanO is correct. The façade went up, then basically it sat vacant until last year waiting for funding.
    If you were inside the building you would understand the patience and care that needs to be taken with the supporting elements, it's incredibly complex, and most of it is to be saved and used in final construction.
    Also, with these types of significant restorations on old buildings (see Craft Beer Market), various abatements and unexpected issues arise that need to be priced mid-project, that funding is not necessarily immediately available for nor planned schedule-wise, unfortunately.
    Which makes me wonder if it would have been cheaper and quicker if they had done what is being done with the Kelly Ramsey. By the looks of it they are essentially building a brand new building while keeping the facade up where as Kelly Ramsey will be a brand new building with the original facade rebuilt.

Agree with above... If the site is so complex either geologically or structurally then take it down and rebuild. That would be the more pragmatic approach. At some point you need to cut your loses and revamp your approach to a project. And this is just poorly executed. If it is taking this long because of the complexity and needing to save structural pieces being facade only then someone really messed up either the engineering, the geology, the planning, or how to execute this.

The building as it stands isn't even the full facade, it's just a large part of it. So at what point is spending the resources (time, money, man power, engineering) to figure out how to keep it upright worth it? Perhaps pulling the facade down while cataloging everything and then rebuilding it would be the better approach..

Just my 2 cents..

Quote Originally Posted by IdriveaSubaru View Post
    Agree with above... If the site is so complex either geologically or structurally then take it down and rebuild. That would be the more pragmatic approach. At some point you need to cut your loses and revamp your approach to a project. And this is just poorly executed. If it is taking this long because of the complexity and needing to save structural pieces being facade only then someone really messed up either the engineering, the geology, the planning, or how to execute this.

The building as it stands isn't even the full facade, it's just a large part of it. So at what point is spending the resources (time, money, man power, engineering) to figure out how to keep it upright worth it? Perhaps pulling the facade down while cataloging everything and then rebuilding it would be the better approach..

Just my 2 cents..
    On the one side, I definitely see the merit in retaining as much of the buildings original heritage as possible (being a Phillips resident and all). However, yes it would have been much more cost effective to just knock'er down and start afresh. But that defeats the purpose of a historical resto like this I suppose? Not putting an opinion forth on that point, just stating the thought process of UCAMA.

Again, while the structure is complex, there have been changes that have cost implications of which funding is not readily available, causing process and red tape and delays - it's no one's fault, just a reality, in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents..
    On the one side, I definitely see the merit in retaining as much of the buildings original heritage as possible (being a Phillips resident and all). However, yes it would have been much more cost effective to just knock'er down and start afresh. But that defeats the purpose of a historical resto like this I suppose? Not putting an opinion forth on that point, just stating the thought process of UCAMA.

Again, while the structure is complex, there have been changes that have cost implications of which funding is not readily available, causing process and red tape and delays - it's no one's fault, just a reality, in my opinion.
    I didn't say tear it down and destroy it, but catalog the pieces during dismantling to reuse (similar to kelly ramsey and alberta hotel). That way the site can be geologically stabilized, foundations poured, support structure and building structure setup before the facade is reinstalled and this long drawn thing happens.

I know there are always mitigating reasons to do projects a certain way and it's not like I am privy to all bits of relevant info so these are just educated guesses on my part. In this case though it just seems if they are having so many problems with structure and are trying to still reinforce the facade than something went wrong and perhaps they should have re-evaluated their process.

Just sayin is all..

Just my 2 cents..

I didn't say tear it down and destroy it, but catalog the pieces during dismantling to reuse (similar to kelly ramsey and alberta hotel). That way the site can be geologically stabilized, foundations poured, support structure and building structure setup before the facade is reinstalled and this long drawn thing happens.

I know there are always mitigating reasons to do projects a certain way and it's not like I am privy to all bits of relevant info so these are just educated guesses on my part. In this case though it just seems if they are having so many problems with structure and are trying to still reinforce the facade than something went wrong and perhaps they should have re-evaluated their process.

Just sayin is all..
    I hope you don't take my comments as an attempt to argue with you, I do think you bring up some very valid points.

All in all, I really hope it turns out to be a landmark on Jasper Ave whenever it is complete.

I hope you don't take my comments as an attempt to argue with you, I do think you bring up some very valid points.

All in all, I really hope it turns out to be a landmark on Jasper Ave whenever it is complete.
    Didnt perceive it that way at all. Just wanted to clarify my point further.

Here's hoping it's completed soon(ish).

C2E SME

Well I was the one that brought it up. I just think that considering they tore down the entire building except for the façade, it would have made way more sense to tear it all down except for cataloguing the façade and once the new building was up, reinstall the façade. Another great example of that is the Alberta Hotel building just down the road.

Welcome to Edmonton where a facade is considered historical preservation.

^ one can say that but sometimes the guts are not salvageable just the facade. Many buildings have been redone for modern power and water and telecom in the 50s-80s with little thought for preservation (didn't just happen in E-town but world wide). And also there were many toxic materials used in early construction that we now know are incredibly dangerous (lead paint, asbestos in and on everything, mercury switches, cadmium in all sorts of stuff, etc. etc.). So many times it's more prudent to just pull out the bits we can salvage and move on. Edmonton unlike Europe was built up fairly recently when new building tech was coming into play and many of those ideas (like lead paint and asbestos) were very poorly thought out. The problems we face with historical preservation are different here than they are in other spots in the world due to how much younger our stuff is.

I am not saying we do the best at this, far far far far far from it. But many times our options of action are limited.

Here's an example of a historic downtown building that was gutted and rebuilt but with the frontage retained
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=19878
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It's been moving very slow, and to tell you the truth, all my pictures were looking too similar for me to post, but this is the final pour in the basement. They'll be laying the first deck next week. Added bonus, I'll be riding the crane!!!

Український канадської Архів і Музей Альберта by sahlgoode...thanks for the storage, on Flickr

Український канадської Архів і Музей Альберта by sahlgoode...thanks for the storage, on Flickr

Edit: I noticed all of my earlier links have been broken for some reason. Here's a link to my entire UCAMA set. I started taking pictures in March of 2010. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sahlgoo...7629149373577/
    Last edited by sahlgoode; 01-11-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    Violating Foolhardy Tyranny

We happened by last Saturday and took a look at the site from the alley. Interesting to see it gutted with all the temporary structural supports in place.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    We happened by last Saturday and took a look at the site from the alley. Interesting to see it gutted with all the temporary structural supports in place.
    The crew is pretty confident that now the foundation is finished, that they'll be progressing fairly rapidly from here on in.

*Side note: I ran into one of the installers of the metal framework that has been holding the building up for so long. He said his company was supposed to have been able to disassemble it this past summer. As it is, they can't see that happening until next year.

It's crazy how time consuming it is to preserve something as opposed to tearing it down and slapping up something new. I'm glad it's being done though!
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Last edited by sahlgoode; 08-11-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks for the awsome pics. Foundation is importantant if long term salvation of history is pertinent. I'm patient and loving the look of those antiquated bricks!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Very cool images Sahlgoode, thanks.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Looking forward to this picking up speed now.
    www.decl.org

There was a scheduled pour that was canceled today.....guess why...
    Snow Day

Ukrainian Canadian Archives, and Museum of Alberta by sahlgoode...thanks for the storage, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sahlgoode View Post
    There was a scheduled pour that was canceled today.....guess why...
    Snow Day

Ukrainian Canadian Archives, and Museum of Alberta by sahlgoode...thanks for the storage, on Flickr
    My gf is from Ukraine and I showed this to her. Her reply: "looks very Ukrainian, no roof, lots of garbage and lots of snow.."

My gf is from Ukraine and I showed this to her. Her reply: "looks very Ukrainian, no roof, lots of garbage and lots of snow.."
    I could only guess, so I'll take her word for it.

Anyway, on this foggy Edmonton morning the rescheduled pour went as smooth as clockwork.

Edit: While I was shooting these, I walked into the Ernest Brown Block, as the door was wide open. I talked with a lone worker there who had said that a crew was coming into that building to begin preparations for the renovations sometime soon. I'm sure if I spent more time here on this forum, I'd know what was planned. Alas, Because I don't, I have no idea what is going in there.

1st floor pour

Rebar Dance Floor

Concrete Flow

Where do I carve my initials?

Last edited by sahlgoode; 27-11-2013 at 11:47 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Thanks for the pictures, keep 'em coming!!
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

C2E SME

Great pictures as usual. Yeah!!! We have a floor!!! So are the other floors going to be wood frame?

Should go quickly from here, thanks for the update.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Great pictures as usual. Yeah!!! We have a floor!!! So are the other floors going to be wood frame?
    All floors are going to be poured concrete. Should go rapidly from here on in, the weather being big factor.

C2E SME

Well that would be nice, I can't wait to see the building enclosed and the museum open. When were they hoping to get things complete by?

Well that would be nice, I can't wait to see the building enclosed and the museum open. When were they hoping to get things complete by?
    I'm just the lowly photographer, so I can't really tell you the answer to that, but the masons will be moving in when they get the second floor poured. They're talking about the steel framework that has been holding the building up coming down in the spring. Beyond that, I'd just be guessing.

The Mason's have arrived. Please excuse the yellow tones. The bright yellow hoarding casts a yellowish hue on everything.

Masons are in the building.

Cinder Block Wall

1st Floor Elevator enclosure poured last week

I like the old school board finish, architecturally pleasing

It's good to see this project moving along.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

This morning they poured concrete into the column molds at the entrance. All the plans I've seen have this being shorter than what I'm seeing. The painted sign is supposed to be restored to the original Pendennis Hotel sign, but at this height it looks like it's going to be lost. I know that the plans have changed some, but I really was looking forward to having the original sign visible.
    .....and no...the crew can't fill me in on this.
    -20°C morning of the entrance pour.

Canadian Ukrainian Archives, and Museum of Alberta by sahlgoode...thanks for the storage, on Flickr
    Finished brick wall

Ukrainian Canadian Archives & Museum of Alberta by sahlgoode...thanks for the storage, on Flickr
    Entrance columns

Ukrainian Canadian Archives & Museum of Alberta by sahlgoode...thanks for the storage, on Flickr
    Crane, pump truck & sign

Column pour

Thanks for the updates! Any word on when they are scheduled to finish?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Thanks for the updates! Any word on when they are scheduled to finish?
    This has been a project that seems to be happening on the fly. Changes to the original plans appear to be happening monthly. Unless the board at UCAMA want to pipe in here, all I can say is that it should have a roof by mid summer. Beyond that, it's a crap-shoot.

C2E SME

I just hope that once the roof goes up that things can start moving along quicker. The last thing I want to see is to have the museum finished after the hotel down the road is already done.

I just hope that once the roof goes up that things can start moving along quicker. The last thing I want to see is to have the museum finished after the hotel down the road is already done.
    I'm sure they would be a lot further ahead if they were using steel. (I-beams, girders) The entire building is going to be concrete pour. That means they have to build forms every step of the way. They do seem to be making fair progress of late, and yeah, once the roof is on I'm hoping that the pace will really pick up.

Thanks for your updates

While not part of the museum proper, the Ernest Brown Block is being developed by UCAMA into retail space on the street level and office space on the upper levels. The intention is to provide a revenue stream to sustain the museum operation . While they don't have any tenants as of yet, there are several parties that are interested. Thus they have begun to develop the site to make ready for future tenants, I'll be shooting from here from time to time.

Me being sexy. March 3/2012. I'm standing in front of pillars that made up part of the backdrop in Ernest Browns photography studio. Back in the day you would bring your family in their Sunday best to have your family portrait taken here. The mural on the wall is just barely visible, and will be lost for all time when they renovate the building

Everything Photographic by sahlgoode, on Flickr

Ernest Brown was born in Middlesborough, Yorkshire, England on September 8, 1877 to Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Brown. Ernest Brown studied photography in England under James Bacon of Newcastle-on-Tyne. In 1902 he married Mary Carr in Lancaster, England. A short time later they moved to Canada, arriving in Edmonton, Alberta on April 18, 1904.

In Edmonton, Brown went to work as an assistant to C.W. Mathers, Edmonton’s first photographer. Three months later on July 1, 1904, Brown bought the rights to Mathers’ portrait studio and in 1905 the studio expanded into the Ernest Brown Company Ltd. Years later in 1912 the Ernest Brown Block was built. Shortly after World War I, however, the demand for photographic services declined and Brown’s business was seized in 1920. In 1926 he moved to Vegreville where he set up another small photographic studio. He continued to maintain an Edmonton connection through his friend and associate, Gladys Reeves, and returned to Edmonton in 1929 to help her establish her own studio called The Art League.

In 1933 Brown established the Pioneer Days Museum in Edmonton, which operated until 1939. The principal aim of the museum was to educate children and teachers about the pioneer heritage of Alberta. Brown wrote many articles to document the historic photographs that were used as exhibits. With the help of Gladys Reeves, he also developed the “Birth of the West” photographic history series, which was used as the basis for illustrated lectures given to schoolchildren.

During his lifetime Ernest Brown acquired a number of historical photographs, including C.W. Mathers’ collection of archival negatives. This collection included not only Mathers’ own negatives dating from 1895, but also many of those of the early Calgary photographers, Boorne and May. Brown also had an interest in politics and in 1921 he was nominated candidate for the Independent Labour Party. He helped to organise political demonstrations on behalf of the unemployed and published a short-run reformist newspaper called The Glow Worm.

Ernest Brown died on January 5, 1951. He is buried in the Edmonton Cemetery.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”― Eleanor Roosevelt by Ernest Brown Photography, on Flickr

This is what the basement looked like in January of this year.

Ernest Brown Construction by sahlgoode, on Flickr

This is what the basement looks like as of March 17th/14

Ukrainian Canadian Archives and Museum of Alberta. © Hugh Lee 2014 by sahlgoode, on Flickr

Oh yeah, and those columns that made me look so sexy two years ago...this is what they look like now...

Ukrainian Canadian Archives and Museum of Alberta. © Hugh Lee 2014 by sahlgoode, on Flickr
    (don't worry, they're not going anywhere)
    Last edited by sahlgoode; 18-03-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Those columns are so neat, thanks for the pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    Those columns are so neat, thanks for the pictures!
    Word has it that Ernest imported these from Europe.

These updates are great, thank you.

Thanks for the updates, Sahl Goode.

Great to hear they will be reopening the Brown building as a revenue generator. Again, like the EDACC Tower and Campus, like the Winspear parking garage, and like the Citadel Tower for arts and cultural NPOs, a little bit of financial sense will make fundraising a lot more painless for all of them. Will be nice to see what retailers they bring in.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E SME

Well I hope a good business moves in that will take advantage of those pillars and that will also draw people to this area.

Quote Originally Posted by sahlgoode
    In 1933 Brown established the Pioneer Days Museum in Edmonton, which operated until 1939. The principal aim of the museum was to educate children and teachers about the pioneer heritage of Alberta. Brown wrote many articles to document the historic photographs that were used as exhibits. With the help of Gladys Reeves, he also developed the “Birth of the West” photographic history series, which was used as the basis for illustrated lectures given to schoolchildren.
    sahl, do we know if any of those resources can still be seen?

I mean "The Birth of The West" and the collection of "The Pioneer Days Museum"?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post

The Provincial Archives of Alberta http://culture.alberta.ca/archives/ has over 50,000 photographs, negatives, and articles written by Ernest Brown. I imagine The Birth of the West, and some Pioneer Days documents are in amongst them.

Now this is a rumor that I had read on the internet somewhere quiet a while ago so I don't want it to be construed as fact, but apparently Brown released them to the City of Edmonton to settle an outstanding property tax debt.

The Provincial Archives of Alberta http://culture.alberta.ca/archives/ has over 50,000 photographs, negatives, and articles written by Ernest Brown. I imagine The Birth of the West, and some Pioneer Days documents are in amongst them.
    I mean Brown's own curation and commenting, along with the photographs.

I do better with the stories behind the photographs, and he would have had an integral perspective within the pre-First World War boom Edmonton, an era which frankly fascinates me. (And during which the both the Pendennis Hotel and the Brown Block were built.)

Now this is a rumor that I had read on the internet somewhere quiet a while ago so I don't want it to be construed as fact, but apparently Brown released them to the City of Edmonton to settle an outstanding property tax debt.
    Ha ha, I believe I have heard the same rumour. I think it was one of my elementary school teachers who mentioned it way back when, odd as that now seems.

I mean Brown's own curation and commenting, along with the photographs.
    In the third paragraph above the headstone shot, they talk about all the documentation he wrote on his historic photos. I'm pretty sure you'll find some of them at the Provincial Archives.

....and so they are getting ready for the second floor pour. It was supposed to be Saturday. but apparently LaForge has run out of concrete. Damn all these construction projects!!! LoL

Conditionswere good, so there was an inpromtu climb up the crane. Unfortunately half way up my knee popped, and it was too painful to continue. (don't get old....your body messes with you) Fortunately I had my buddy bulliver with me. He went to the top, and hopefully he'll bless us with a few uploads.

Rebar

Second floor prep

The view east
    Last edited by sahlgoode; 29-03-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Did you try to base jump?

C2E SME

Looking good, glad things are still moving along.

Cool, climbing cranes. Did you have to sign some sort of personal injury waiver?
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Cool, climbing cranes. Did you have to sign some sort of personal injury waiver?
    I signed one two years ago when I started shooting on site. Basically covers the entire span of the project.

A little comic relief from the Ernest Brown construction.

Just a heads up. They've taken the covering off the windows of the Ernest Brown Block. If you're in the neighbourhood, have a look see. Those columns look great.

Finally got the second floor poured. It was a long day, and I had to play hookey from work to get these shots, but it also gave me the chance to get some blue hour shooting in as well.
    Reabar dance floor. Walking on this stuff isn't what I call fun.

Logan loves his Crane.

Facing North: Before

Facing North: After

Facing West: Before

Facing West: After

Facing East: Before

Facing East: After

Looking North on the second floor

For blue hour fun at the museum...

Had to clean my camera lens after this shot.

Administrator *

Amazing shots! Thanks for all the updates

Agreed.

Sahlgoode, these are works of art.

Thanks guys.

Great project documentation!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

Agreed, beautiful pictures.
    As for the project itself, are they going to be pouring any more floors? How tall will this build be, just original height or a bit taller?

Agreed, beautiful pictures.
    As for the project itself, are they going to be pouring any more floors? How tall will this build be, just original height or a bit taller?
    There will be two more pours to bring it up to the existing roof level, and two more floors added to that. With a sweet patio area at the existing roof level.

Fortunately I had my buddy bulliver with me. He went to the top, and hopefully he'll bless us with a few uploads.
    Oh, hey. Don't check in here often anymore. Here's a few from the top of the crane...

Crane Operator's Cab par Darren Kirby, on ipernity

View From the Top par Darren Kirby, on ipernity

View From the Top par Darren Kirby, on ipernity

The Jib par Darren Kirby, on ipernity
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

^ Thanks for posting, Bulliver.

What a land of contrasts the Quarters are.

So while I'm still shooting weekly at UCAMA, most of my shots are beginning to look the same to me. What I'm really excited about is the activity going on at the Ernest Brown site. Getting as many shots of the old structure as I can, before they're lost forever:
    Where once was a pile of rubble, now sits building materials.
    Ernest Brown Block. © Hugh Lee 2014 by sahlgoode, on Flickr
    Half of the floor removed...worker prepping the east wall for new floor.
    Some of the plaster at the top of the columns in need of repair.
    In the basement looking up. Half of the old main floor has been removed. The other half can't be touched, other than to rejuvenate it to it's original historic loveliness.
    Remnants of the old coal chute.
    Evidence of a fire in the past.
    Behind this funky looking door...
    ...is this eerie looking staircase. Next time I'll take a flashlight with me so I can set up a better shot.
    The workers on site call this room the dungeon.
    ************************************************** *******************************************
    ...and here's a few token UCAMA progress shots for good measure.
    Second floor wall.
    Removing some of the steel that had been bolstering up the building. The poring of the second floor makes it unnecessary.
    ...and when you have the time, all of my images of the progress are on Flickr, and OneDrive. Have a gander if you will:
    UCAMA OneDrive dating back to March of 2010
    http://1drv.ms/1iwnYhE
    UCMA Flickr set....pretty much the same as OneDrive
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/sahlgo...7629149373577/
    Ernest Brown on Flickr
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/sahlgo...7623658892668/
    Ernest Brown OneDrive from January of this year.
    http://1drv.ms/1iwH4o3
    Last edited by sahlgoode; 29-04-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Spectacular update. Thanks also for the explanatory notes as well. Very excited about the EABB project now. That is one creepy looking basement! Do you know if they're keeping that staircase?

Spectacular update. Thanks also for the explanatory notes as well. Very excited about the EABB project now. That is one creepy looking basement! Do you know if they're keeping that staircase?
    Thanks! It's always fun shooting inside these historical projects. As far as the staircase is concerned, I can't say for sure, but I doubt they'll keep it. They have instructions to keep the original first floor, and the columns, but not much else.

C2E SME

Pictures look great and the project looks like it's coming along nicely. With all that concrete being poured that is going to be one solid building.

There be steel at UCAMA.
    Ukrainian Canadian Archives and Museum of Alberta. © Hugh Lee 2014 by sahlgoode
    Flatbed full of steel goodness.
    Steel griders being installed. That's it folks. This is the 20' above the existing roofline. Thats where she tops out.
    Lifting steel, up and over. This is a good sign that the metal bracing holding the facade in place could be gone by mid summer.
    Daredevil surfing the beam!
    Seeing steel, you know you're going to see a welder...
    ...or two.
    Safety First.
    From the roof of the Goodridge. I can see that they'll be taking away my view of the Gibson Block. Not really concerned about it though. At least something beautiful will be taking it's place. The loading dock at the end of 97th Street (commonly refered to as Hall D) is another matter. That took away half of my view of the river.

UCAMA OneDrive dating back to March of 2010
    http://1drv.ms/1iwnYhE
    UCMA Flickr set....pretty much the same as OneDrive
    Ernest Brown on Flickr
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/sahlgo...7623658892668/
    Ernest Brown OneDrive from January of this year.
    http://1drv.ms/1iwH4o3

*Special Edition*
    You all may know me from my posts here regarding the destruction, or renovation of historic buildings. (The Gem, Alberta Hotel, UCAMA, and Ernest Brown) Well I've been lining up something special that at last is coming to fruition this Friday. Just a little bit different from what I usually post here.

I do more than shoot historic redo's. I spin wool, light paint, shoot the blue hour...etc, etc. Occasionally I've been known line up model shoots. Something I'm not totally comfortable with, but if I have an idea that is totally original, I'll call someone up.
    Exhibit A)
    Project X by sahlgoode

Armed with a bevy of beauties, some tactical assault rifles, crossbows, pyrotechnics, and a little smoke, I'll be shooting from inside the Ernest Brown Block. This will be the last time that anybody will gain access to this building before some of the relics inside are torn out, and replaced. At least the last photo shoot. With me will be Yeggie nominee for photographer of the year, our very own Bulliver.

I'll be posting the results here. (although it may be stretching the rules of this forum just a tad...I hope it doesn't get anyone's short, and curlies in a knot)

This is the building that has "Everything Photographic" written across the top, and I find it fitting. Nay...a privilege to be able to do this. An epic photo shoot one last time before the building is transformed with new paint, plaster, and steel.

Nooooooo. I liked that building they way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnoblade View Post
    Nooooooo. I liked that building they way it is.
    The exterior will not be changing at all, but when it comes to the interior, only the columns, and original floor will be saved. A lot of what is in the basement is crumbling beyond repair. The upper floors have been totally gutted.

The roof is scheduled to be replaced next week.
    Ernest Brown Roof by sahlgoode

Armed troops ferret out a group of insurgents at the Ernest Brown Block.

We had a chance to shoot inside the historic Ernest Brown Block. This took a while to put together, but it all worked out in the end. Thanks for the GC for letting us have access to this place after hours, and an anonymous UCAMA worker who provided the weaponry. Latoya Williamson is a Corporal with the Canadian Armed Forces, and really knew her way around guns. Our other model Candace Bellmore tends bar at a local watering hole.

Battling hard to keep the insurgents from infiltrating the Ernest Brown Block.
    The Ernest Brown Block Raid by sahlgoode
    The lovely Latoya Williamson
    Keeping her back to the wall.
    Don't mess with the Ernest Brown Block people....You'll have to deal with Latoya
    Candace Bellmore ....danger below
    "Friend, or foe?"

Here's the link to all the shots from that shoot. Good, and bad, but not the horrible ones.
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsjY2PdcY

Cool

C2E SME

A quick exterior picture from yesterday June 21, 2014

building_3
    by paulsmolik, on Flickr
    Last edited by Edmcowboy11; 22-06-2014 at 10:18 AM.

A quick exterior picture from yesterday June 21, 2014

building_3
    by paulsmolik, on Flickr
    Interesting thing about that picture is the downed light standard, which has been strung up to the scaffolding in front of the Ernest Brown Block. It's been that way for a couple of weeks. I called Epcor two Saturdays ago about it, but it's still there.

Nobody can tell me what happened, or how it got buckled up to the scaffolding. Mysteries of the city I guess.

So I know I've been a bit tardy with updates. Blame the weather, my social calender, my lazy gad-about ways, or just plain doing other stuff. Still been taking the pictures, just not updating. As a result, I'm going to be all over the place in this post. More concrete, steel, and another floor since my last post. Plus some very sad news on the Ernest Brown front. Finally, some good news from the Goodridge.
    Laid deck in preparation for the 3rd floor pour.
    Rebar 3rd floor.
    The entrance on the east side of the building. This is the roof of that section. That sign will eventually get sand-blasted, and a "new" original Pendennis Hotel sign painted on the surface.
    Pouring the 3rd floor.
    ....more 3rd floor pour.
    The south end (Jasper Avenue) section of the 3rd floor.
    ...after the pour.
    Structral steel going up.
    Steel for the fourth floor.
    Putting rebar today....they'll be pouring tomorrow. See you later in the week with those.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** *************************
    ************************************************** ************************************************** *************************
    So here's the bad news about the Ernest Brown Building. It seems UCAMA has pulled the plug on the developer, and everything has come to a standstill. Just when they were making headway. What's insane about this, is that the roof has been torn completely off the structure.
    You can see the daylight from the street.
    You'll pay for a whole seat, but you'll only use the edge!!! by sahlgoode, on Flickr
    That means everything on the inside is now at the mersey of the elements. A lot of it was going to ripped out anyways, but the historic elements like the pillars, and lobby floor....well they're in bad enough shape as it is.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************
    Finally some good news for the Goodridge, and somewhat of a strange juxtaposition with the above; she's getting a new roof this week.
    More scaffolding along Jasper Avenue. This won't be here for as long as the others further east. The job should be done within a week, or two.
    Goodridge Block © Hugh Lee 2014 by sahlgoode
    The north east corner of 97th, and Jasper
    Todays rooftop
    The view from up there....(or as I like to call...my patio)

Thanks for looking. I realize, I probably covered more than I should have. I had thought about starting a seperate thread on the Ernest Brown Block development, but it seems that has been put on hold. It is part of the UCAMA project though.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++
    For those who are interested, there are 1,595 images of the UCAMA progress here:
    Alternately, there are 1,514 images on my onedrive account:
    https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3A1EA...0352DE1%211668
    ...and the UCAMA website is here:
    http://www.ucama.ca/BuildingProject/...7/Default.aspx

Spectacular and informative update, Mr. Sahl Good.

Horrible timing for the Ernest Brown Block. I hope they could at least toss a tented system of tarps or something up there. Could wind up being either a much more expensive project, or worse....

Very glad to see progress on UCAMA seeming a little more regular this year. Have you heard when they might have their roof enclosed?

C2E SME

Roof top restaurant patios in this area could be so nice.

First One is Always Free

Regarding Ernest Brown - do they have no obligation to stabilize the structure if they're pulling the plug? It's on the Historical Registry, is it not?

C2E SME

I wonder what happened that they decided to pull the plug?

^Lack of money?

Spectacular and informative update, Mr. Sahl Good.

Horrible timing for the Ernest Brown Block. I hope they could at least toss a tented system of tarps or something up there. Could wind up being either a much more expensive project, or worse....

Very glad to see progress on UCAMA seeming a little more regular this year. Have you heard when they might have their roof enclosed?
    Thanks. The Ernest Brown Block is an a-list historical asset, and yeah, you'd think that if they had to pull the plug, for whatever reason, they'd have at least made provisions to protect it from the elements. It's been over two weeks since anyone has been on site.

Frankly, I'm reminded of the Gem, and how it's owner took all the money the city gave him to ensure structural repairs, and just let it sit until it couldn't be saved. We all remember that fiasco.
    Gem Marquee by sahlgoode

They poured the Q deck yesterday. Kinda missed the pour. Thought it would have been cancelled due to rain, but went by in the evening to get a shot of the finishing. I brought Lee up on the roof of the Goodridge so he could have a look see, and get a photo op from up there. He's been on the project since for three years, and is pretty proud of his work.

With regards to the Ernest Brown Block: I haven't heard back from the UCAMA board as of yet, but Lee seems to think he had heard a rumor that they were going to start up agian ina few more weeks.

Finishing the Q deck...(the artsy version)
    Finishing the Q deck...less artsy.

Lee admiring his work from the Goodridge

Edit: While I was posting this I received an answer from UCAMA:
    "A slight hiccup with the bank financing. .We're redoing this with the bank and hope to get back on track in a week or two. Timing could not have been worse as they just started the roof."
    Last edited by sahlgoode; 26-06-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: updated infromation

C2E SME

I'm starting to get excited about this. I know it still has lots more to do but it also feels oh so much closer.

"A slight hiccup with the bank financing. .We're redoing this with the bank and hope to get back on track in a week or two. Timing could not have been worse as they just started the roof."
    Thank goodness. The sooner the better. Don't even want to think about it.

Thanks also for the update.

Thank goodness. The sooner the better. Don't even want to think about it.

Thanks also for the update.
    They must really be hurting for funds. They just started up a Kickstarter page.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eum-of-alberta

*Note....in the video when the woman dons a hardhat, and smacks a window with a sledge hammer. There was an alternate take where one of the site workers grabbed the hammer, smashed the window, and repeated her line. "Take that Putin!"...the original was on Youtube for a short while, but Delnor had them edit it.

I missed the pour yesterday, but here are the results. This is the pad for the HVAC units which are going to be hoisted into place on Tuesday. (I'll be out of province, so I won't be able to get shots of the lift.)
    From HVAC level.
    HVAC nesting pads.
    Deck looking east.
    Artsy shot of worker with Ukrainian church dome in the background.
    Entrance, and foyer progress.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ******
    Unfortunately, the Ernest Brown Block is still without a roof.

From member ChrisVasquez7's Jasper Avenue drive Youtube Video:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast