Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536 LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,400 of 3525

Thread: Enbridge Centre (was Kelly Ramsey Building Rebuild) | Retail & Office |

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    So I can confirm my second worst nightmare about this project has come true:

BMO will be ground level.

They will be taking all the retail space along 101 Street (including "Swedish Jewelers.")

they will, however, also be vacating a couple of blocks of the worst urban edges in the core for redevelopment. this should be a longterm large net plus given that retail banks are not going to disappear.
    It's definitely less bad than their old configuration (and I won't even say "but their old configuration may have been the worst in the history of our Downtown") but:

a.) While retail banks may not disappear, I can't see pragmatically what's stopping them from moving to the third floor (off the street and off pedway-level too.)

b.) Do they seriously need to take ground level in one of our nicest buildings which is on one of our neediest streets?

I know, I know, not that simple. Doesn't stop the disappointment though. It's a blemish on a building that would have been hard to otherwise improve.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

If, like you said, it's only on the 101st side, then its a huge win for the reason Kcantor pointed out. The current BMO setup takes out 101st, 102ave, and rice howard way

^ which I did say, but realistically the glass is still half empty too. I'm probably just being spoiled by a couple of recent projects up the street that have in one way and another, not compromised anything.

They will be taking all the retail space along 101 Street (including "Swedish Jewelers.")

they will, however, also be vacating a couple of blocks of the worst urban edges in the core for redevelopment. this should be a longterm large net plus given that retail banks are not going to disappear.
    It's definitely less bad than their old configuration (and I won't even say "but their old configuration may have been the worst in the history of our Downtown") but:

a.) While retail banks may not disappear, I can't see pragmatically what's stopping them from moving to the third floor (off the street and off pedway-level too.)

b.) Do they seriously need to take ground level in one of our nicest buildings which is on one of our neediest streets?

I know, I know, not that simple. Doesn't stop the disappointment though. It's a blemish on a building that would have been hard to otherwise improve.
    I guess I don't understand why the disappointment. Blemish? It's their main branch. It's not like 101 is a prime shopping corridor. I believe Royal Bank is taking street front space in Katz's tower. Same disappointment?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post

I guess I don't understand why the disappointment. Blemish? It's their main branch. It's not like 101 is a prime shopping corridor. I believe Royal Bank is taking street front space in Katz's tower. Same disappointment?
    You're right it's not a prime shopping corridor, and lost opportunities like this are a major part of the reason.

And I will measure my disappointment of RBC or any other new bank in linear metres of streetfront multiplied by the number of evening hours they're closed.

(edit - against an index of the the potential of the neighbourhood.)
    Last edited by JayBee; 20-10-2016 at 03:26 PM.

You're right it's not a prime shopping corridor, and lost opportunities like this are a major part of the reason.
    I thought this is the Financial District of DT and despite fashion/retail icons like Holt Refrew and Henry Singer having loooooong tenures on this street others have not seen the value to setting up shop for traditional retail. As I said I don't understand. oh well.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^ I think this is the crux of it:

^I find most streets throughout the downtown are not nice streets to walk down. Streets like 104street, or Rice Howard way tend to have more success because they are designed to be nice walking streets. I would lament this loss if 101street was similarly designed or if the bank was to open on the RHW side. I used to catch the bus on 101street for years and I always hated standing along it, just bus after bus and lots of traffic since it is a major arterial. Add to that walled off podiums like commerce place and scotia place and you have an awful street regardless of Enbridge Centre's new retail bays facing it. (in fact if I recall the green strip mall that used to be there never did well either). This is all just my opinion and the fact that they are having banks set up along it seems like a step up.

^ well yes, exactly, but:

1. why couldn't this opportunity have opted to take it's cue from RHW instead? Encroach some life into the valley of death. The vibe around the corner is arguably just as relevant as the vibe down the block.
    2. I can't exactly write my thoughts about Olympia and York's actions on C2E at a point where it could be meaningful, can I? It's 2016 whether I like it or not. These opportunities don't often come up.

Is there retail space on the pedway level(s) in this building?

Henry Singer isn't street facing, yet it does quite well. I think stores could still do well without being street facing - luxury stores in the case of the financial core. There are other examples. Most financial/downtown cores are pretty cold to the pedestrian in my experience. Once you are on the inside though, you get all the fancy stuff. Most executives and people that can afford such stores aren't really walking around town that much. Drive to work in their (insert luxury brand car here), stay in their building/pedway system, and drive home in said car. While it would be nice to break this mould/stereotype, I don't really see Edmonton being the best city to do it in. Such stores don't really have a huge audience outside of office hours either, other than maybe lawyers/executives that work extended hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Is there retail space on the pedway level(s) in this building?
    yes-ish. They said the "retail tenant" would be on two floors, although that's the tenant that has turned out to be BMO. Enbridge also has space on the second floor, but no consumer oriented business to do there that I'm aware.

Henry Singer isn't street facing, yet it does quite well. I think stores could still do well without being street facing - luxury stores in the case of the financial core. There are other examples. Most financial/downtown cores are pretty cold to the pedestrian in my experience. Once you are on the inside though, you get all the fancy stuff. Most executives and people that can afford such stores aren't really walking around town that much. Drive to work in their (insert luxury brand car here), stay in their building/pedway system, and drive home in said car. While it would be nice to break this mould/stereotype, I don't really see Edmonton being the best city to do it in. Such stores don't really have a huge audience outside of office hours either, other than maybe lawyers/executives that work extended hours.
    I was hoping dreaming for a resto-pub and a Whiskey and Wine or something. I agree it wouldn't be a good place for "shop retail" (although that could change depending what happens on the ex-BMO site.)

Don't get me wrong, I love the building, but that's part of what makes the "closed after 4:30 and all weekend aspect" affecting.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Mostly a great view of Manulife but

Administrator *

Yesterday:

Enbridge Centre by Chris Vazquez, on Flickr

From the alley:

Sharp.

"Swedish Jewelers" lives.

Nice to get a picture of the very nice but somewhat overlooked North face.

I walked past this building yesterday and today. It really is a great potential improvement to the streetscape. I have in mind the stretches along first street and rice avenue. I hope very much whatever fills the streetfront will be worthy of the architecture.

I'd rather C2E than work!

This building gets better and better every time I walk by it. Su-perb!

C2E Continued Contributor

I was out with a girl last night who looked at me with the most ridiculous face because I was so impressed with the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    I was out with a girl last night who looked at me with the most ridiculous face because I was so impressed with the sidewalk.
    You should hold have said that appreciate beautify when you see it and you like to surround yourself with beauty.

lol.

Well, it is actually a nice sidewalk.

The whole thing epitomises our leapfrogging of our old self. It used to be that nice sidewalks were for other cities.

I can't get enough of this building (and sidewalk) either...it's wonderful.

Has there been any updates regarding the restaurant? Do we know if it's still supposed to be Jamie Oliver?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Jamie Oliver in a building with Ramsey on the side of it - kind of ironic

Except for the spelling: it's Gordon Ramsay, but that may be enough for some.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Long Term Contributor

Anyone know when KPMG is supposed to move to the Kelly Ramsey tower? They are still in Commerce Place and don't see any signs of them moving.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Early in the New Year. Tenant improvements in KR are underway, I believe. Same goes with the Enbridge TI, and a couple other ones. Busy place for the next couple months, then the moving trucks.

Mine

Commerce Place's crown looking sad in the background.

Today:

Last edited by JayBee; 18-01-2017 at 01:31 AM.

The art piece that greets you is a very nice touch.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

very nice looking.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Any word on when the pedway to Manulife opens? This seems to be crawling along now, the exterior is still not done yet.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ I don't have any real info, nor do I pretend, but it looks pretty close. Just a few touches on the ceiling. I don't know if usage needs to wait for the exterior.

^^, ^^^ yes, it's super. I dare say I like it better than Edmonton Tower - Bell Tower.

I was told by the end of January.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

I've already used it a few times. It's open, they're just finishing some of the ceiling

Pedway to Manulife is open but still under construction. Even the inside of the pedway still has some unfinished fixtures.

C2E Posting Power

^Yeah, progress on the pedway sure seems to be crawling. Coincidentally I just drove southbound on 101 Street today and can't believe that lanes underneath the pedway are still blocked off.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Have retailers and services been announced?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Apparently the Oliver restaurant deal fell through.

Looking at a coffee shop and likely 2 restaurants.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I heard Credo was looking at another DT location here?
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

BMO in the ground level space along 101 Street.

Thanks for the updates. I was wondering why the retail spaces were still sitting empty. For the coffee - personally I'd like to see 3rd time the charm for Transcend, but anything other than another Starfucks or Timmys is good to me.

Any update on when the retail portions get occupied and with what?

242377528-001
    16-Mar-2017
    10175 - 101 STREET NW
    Plan 1422995 Blk 1 Lot 39A

To Construct interior alterations in an existing office building. Kelly Ramsey Conference Centre. 23rd floor Enbridge Centre.

PANGMAN DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION

They could hang some x-mas decorations up there during x-mas!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

So are they going to finish that Enbridge-Manulife pedway sometime this year, or what? It's dragged on for a long time now.

135343506-060
    23-Mar-2017
    10175 - 101 STREET NW

To Construct Interior Alterations. This is Phase 1 of a 2-Phase Tenant Improvement project to fit-out a BMO Retail Bank Branch (relocated from adjacent site). HVAC distribution & Lighting to be installed as part of TI Phase 2. Supplemental documentation re: Energy Efficiency to be included in Phase 2 BP application. (BMO Branch - Edmonton Main)

O.N. SITE CONSTRUCTION INC.

Is the enbridge tower on jasper ave now vacant? Any potential tenants for this iconic building?
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Negative. No deal yet.
    www.decl.org

243493935-001
    18-Apr-2017
    10175 - 101 STREET NW

To construct interior alterations to an existing 20th storey tenant space, complete office fit out, not including building core. (BMO Financial Group)

PCL CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT INC. (SAL)

First One is Always Free

Man is this a great looking building.....

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I'm curious to know if there was ever an option in pre-planning to add perhaps 20-25 floors of either residential or hotel space? I agree it's a stunning building, it's just disappointing that it wasn't planned taller (ditto with CoE Tower). It's beautiful design is hiding in between all of its taller neighbouring towers. Can only truly appreciate and admire this gem up close. Missed opportunity.

Yes there originally was a hotel component but that was cut. Someone decided there wasn't going to be enough hotel demand despite the new arena opening a couple of blocks away. Greatly missed opportunity there if you ask me.

Yes, it's one heck of a gorgeous building!!

Are those three boring staked stones suppose to represent some form of art ??

It has been there for decades.

Indeed and as well as a wee coniferous.
    www.decl.org

Was part of The Works in 1995

THE BIG ROCK, 1995
    62 tons of granite, living tree

http://www.catherineburgess.ca/galleries/6

Doesn't really "Works" for me, but I guess it's okay

www.decl.org

Job No 135343506-064
    Description: To change the Use from General Retail Stores to a Professional, Financial and Office Support Services Use on the main floor. (Bank of Montreal)
    Plan F Lots 39-40
    10175 - 101 STREET NW
    Plan F Lots 41-42
    10175 - 101 STREET NW
    Plan F Lot 40
    10175 - 101 STREET NW
    Plan F Lots 41-42
    10175 - 101 STREET NW
    Applicant: PANGMAN DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
    Create Date: 5/4/2017 4:00:30 PM

Walked past this the other day. How is it that the RHW bays haven't been taken up by restaurants?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Apparently a deal with a large restaurant that was to lease the space fell through, so they are now trying to find a replacement(s)... Don't know the name of the restaurant.

Someone here or on SSP mentioned Credo and Cora

^CMDUW
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    ^CMDUW

English, please?

In any case, I was chatting with the owners last week and they're working away at securing a restaurant tenant or two. Previous deal with a Jamie Oliver franchise fell through.

Pretty spectacular fitness facility they have on the second floor in this building, as well. Felt like it had nearly as much cardio and weight equipment as the Don Wheaton Y (although of course it doesn't). Nice amenity for the tenants to have.

^Do they speak English in CMDUW?
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

CMD_UW on SSP aka ChrisD on C2E?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    ^CMDUW

English, please?

In any case, I was chatting with the owners last week and they're working away at securing a restaurant tenant or two. Previous deal with a Jamie Oliver franchise fell through.

Pretty spectacular fitness facility they have on the second floor in this building, as well. Felt like it had nearly as much cardio and weight equipment as the Don Wheaton Y (although of course it doesn't). Nice amenity for the tenants to have.
    Indeed. The golf sim is a nice touch.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Did you finally get a camera or did you clean the greasy lunch fingerprint off your phone cam? Nice shot. Now the rest of RHW needs to be upgraded to match the beauty of this block.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

It's still his garbagephone, but since it's a bright sunny day it's not as garbage (less noise, but still terrible, terrible colours) as usual.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^^D40 was with me today. Little known fact, that streetscape will be the new standard for the update of RHW.

^nope. swing and a miss buddy.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    that streetscape will be the new standard for the update of RHW.
    No complaints. Now let's fill up all that empty space with patios. Sherlock's shouldn't be the only killer street level patio in the area.

Missing Key is Scotia and I guess the PM Building's awkward mainfloor.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    It's still his garbagephone, but since it's a bright sunny day it's not as garbage (less noise, but still terrible, terrible colours) as usual.

lol...so much hate.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

^nope. swing and a miss buddy.
    You have no idea how to operate a DSLR then. I weep for your poor camera. Like a mule with a spinning wheel.

E: I should have realized it wasn't the garbagephone when the granny numbers weren't burnt into the edge. Still, that poor Nikon.

E2: I suggest reading your manual & then enrolling in something like this the next time it's offered. Clearly you've got a lot of ambition & drive to take pictures, a little education would go a long way to making them look as good as possible.
    Last edited by noodle; 19-05-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Looks more compressed to me than anything, which is usually post capture.

Definitely saturated too though.

I can almost guarantee he's shooting on max compression in-camera and VI/VI+ in the Picture Control menu (or he's doing it manually/intentionally after the fact, which is somehow worse). Plus he's slightly off-level & the composition is dubious, but that's personal nitpicking & not technical fouls as it were.

Source: I've owned many, many Nikons including the exact model he's using.

135343506-062
    15-May-2017
    10175 - 101 STREET NW

To construct interior alterations at the Kelly Ramsay Building ("Bank of Montreal"; constructing full tenant fit-up as Phase Two of a two phase project).

O.N. SITE CONSTRUCTION INC.

I can almost guarantee he's shooting on max compression in-camera and VI/VI+ in the Picture Control menu (or he's doing it manually/intentionally after the fact, which is somehow worse). Plus he's slightly off-level & the composition is dubious, but that's personal nitpicking & not technical fouls as it were.

Source: I've owned many, many Nikons including the exact model he's using.
    Not everyone has great photography skills. Let's at least be thankful that he's not using the potato.

Well aware of how my settings are guys and how post-production impacts these. I quite like it.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post

lol...so much hate.
    Not really. His phone does have a horribly dated camera on it.

I thought Noodle's comments here were fairly constructive. The colours on his photos definitely need adjustment - he could also change compression somewhere in the chain and end up with higher quality photos. Photoshop and other Adobe tools can reduce the size of photos without drastically compromising the quality of the photo.

Ian's certainly well within his rights to shoot his photos however he wants, just like Trump is free to get his steaks well-done & with ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post

lol...so much hate.
    Not really. His phone does have a horribly dated camera on it.

I thought Noodle's comments here were fairly constructive. The colours on his photos definitely need adjustment - he could also change compression somewhere in the chain and end up with higher quality photos. Photoshop and other Adobe tools can reduce the size of photos without drastically compromising the quality of the photo.
    Really?! It's a photo. Now people have to worry about meeting others' preposterous aesthetic standards before posting pics?

If noodle really cares about a DSLR picture that's not up to snuff why doesn't he pull out one of his plentiful expensive cameras and snap a few shots? Oh right, because he doesn't actually come downtown, just whines about it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Agreed, seeing different projects and areas on here that many of us wouldn't see on a regular basis makes this site amazing and useful to many of us. Putting down someone's picture because it doesn't meet your "expert" criteria is both petty and a disservice to this site. Keep your critiques to yourself, better yet, get off your lazy *** and take some pictures yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Radders View Post
    Really?! It's a photo. Now people have to worry about meeting others' preposterous aesthetic standards before posting pics?
    You don't have to worry about it, but if you're unable to take constructive criticism perhaps the internet is not the place for you.

If noodle really cares about a DSLR picture that's not up to snuff why doesn't he pull out one of his plentiful expensive cameras and snap a few shots?
    I take a hundred or so photos of Edmonton a month, which is a far cry from the thousands I used to take back in the day. I had a nasty run in with a bunch of my stuff being used commercially without compensation or consent so I don't really post much up online any more.

Oh right, because he doesn't actually come downtown, just whines about it.
    Why would I go Downtown? There's nothing there for me I can't get elsewhere, easier & with less hassle. Downtown is mostly irrelevant to my day-to-day life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    ^ Agreed, seeing different projects and areas on here that many of us wouldn't see on a regular basis makes this site amazing and useful to many of us. Putting down someone's picture because it doesn't meet your "expert" criteria is both petty and a disservice to this site. Keep your critiques to yourself, better yet, get off your lazy *** and take some pictures yourself.
    Hahaha. I was wondering how long it'd take Hilman the Yesman to come to the defense of poor Ian who's been the victim of (completely warranted & mostly constructive) criticism. Bravo!

I find it extra hilarious that the guy who's primary contribution is the reposting of other people's work would be so adamant about me going out & creating original content.

Looks more compressed to me than anything, which is usually post capture.

Definitely saturated too though.
    Like a Newfoundland tourism ad.

Noodle I've gone on assignment and had a couple pieces published in National Geographic in my time an none were properly composed. In fact, one had star smear from not following the rule of 500, another had chromatic aberration discovered due to a lens defect that I didn't notice until I was in lightroom after the fact. The best editors in the world don't pick photos for their perfectionist quality. And thank God too, there's many people out there who are far better versed on the laws of photography than I am; mine were picked because of setting, story, and the feel of the experience (camping in the desert of Wadi Rum filming the Milky Way under a desert landscape at half moon behind the camera).

I respect you; I find your posts polarizing yet often insightful, but take my advice and just let it go with the whole photo thing. I don't think I would ever trash somebody for having less knowledge and expertise on an ART-form then I do and it really casts you in a bad light.

- Pun intended.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

I appreciate the feedback on my feedback. I'm also cognizant of who I'm providing input to & I know it'll fall entirely on deaf ears, so I will likely drop providing feedback to this one lost cause & just deal with the fact some people evidently prefer pumpkin-esque skin tones, a sky the colour of a vinyl pool liner & a slight lean to their pics as if taken by someone missing a shoe.

Like I said before, some people prefer their steak well-done with ketchup & there's no accounting for taste.

Ignoring compression; care to give feedback on this one? I'll direct you to the massive amount of clipping and gross underexposure within the shot. Certainly not award winning or viable to be purchased by a Travel Agency or a local Magazine because of those things plus a blatant disregard to the rules of third or golden proportions? :P There's a moral here regarding creative expression and subjectivity!

Hahaha. I was wondering how long it'd take Hilman the Yesman to come to the defense of poor Ian who's been the victim of (completely warranted & mostly constructive) criticism. Bravo!

I find it extra hilarious that the guy who's primary contribution is the reposting of other people's work would be so adamant about me going out & creating original content.

I'm also cognizant of who I'm providing input to & I know it'll fall entirely on deaf ears, so I will likely drop providing feedback to this one lost cause & just deal with the fact some people evidently prefer pumpkin-esque skin tones, a sky the colour of a vinyl pool liner & a slight lean to their pics as if taken by someone missing a shoe.

Like I said before, some people prefer their steak well-done with ketchup & there's no accounting for taste.
    Another day, another Ian-mugging or two by noodle.

Noodle, I hope you'll tire of it, sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post

I'll get tired of it about as soon as you get tired of being utterly sanctimonious.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post

I'll get tired of it about as soon as you get tired of being utterly sanctimonious.
    I may be sanctimonious, but I'm not a raging creep against one person in particular. Which is all you have become of late. Pathetic, noodle -- absolutely god-damn pathetic.

This is the Kelly Ramsay thread still?

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    This is the Kelly Ramsay thread still?
    Those are questions that should be left to the philosophers. I am but a man.

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536 LastLast