Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Let him go

  1. #1
    C2E Bandwidth Hog
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    29,736

    Default Let him go

    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...968/story.html
    EDMONTON — Lesley Miller testified Thursday about the life her husband Dougald leads today, eight years and three months after he was brutally assaulted by Leo Teskey.

    “The doctors tell me that Dougald is slowly dying, that his system is slowly breaking down,” Miller testified on the second day of Teskey’s second dangerous-offender hearing.

    Later, outside court, she explained that doctors have told her that each illness makes him weaker, and they have suggested she may want to forego treatment and let nature take its course.

    “I have to keep fighting to keep him alive,” she said. “If Dougald dies I don’t know what I’m going to do, I really don’t.”

    On Feb. 8, 2008, Teskey was convicted of aggravated assault for a second time after he brutally assaulted Dougald Miller on Nov. 21, 2000. Miller suffered a serious brain injury that left him reliant on others for his care. He cannot speak, cannot move and can neither lie down nor sit up in his bed. He communicates by blinking his eyes and making noises.
    I am really sorry to say this, and at the risk of sounding like an insensitive lout, but am I the only one who feels a bit angry that this poor man has been kept alive in an invalid and slowly-dying state for 8 years? I know everyone has different views, but if I was in his position I'd have wanted the plug pulled years ago and let my wife move on with her life without the physical, emotional and financial burdens this has caused her. If he's been unable to move or communicate except for blinking and screaming, then who can really and truly say if that's how he's wanted to live since his encounter with Teskey? Who can say except Dougald himself?

    I've lost people close to me. In the case of family, pull-the-plug decisions were made. Losing a loved one is a damned hard thing to do, but its an inevitability every living being has to face sooner or later. Moving on can be harder, but if you have the love and support of others, it is not an impossibility.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  2. #2

    Default

    No, you are not an insensitive lout (or if you are than I am too).

    Dougald Miller died eight years ago in all senses except in his shell of a body and that is only due to a whole lot of assistance and medical intervention.

    There is no quality of life that I can imagine for him or for his wife Lesley, just existence. They are surviving not thriving.

    Until recently I never had someone close to me die slowly (until now most family/friends have died quickly of heart attacks or accidents).

    It was tough but the night that my family member died we all knew he was already gone.

    The hospice at the Grey Nuns has the absolute most remarkable staff and they were so great. They ensured he was not alone that final night and upped his morphine until he finally peacefully drifted away.

    As excruciating as it was at the time we grieved (and still do) but we were able to go on with a sense of closure and knowledge that he had as much dignity and respect as possible in his final moments.

    I feel for Mrs. Miller (and Mr. Miller) but I have to wonder if she holds on so strongly to Dougald with a sense that he may one day improve or more as a talisman (physical reminder) to the authorities of what Leo Teskey did and to ensure that Teskey is locked up for good –finally and good riddance.

    It is a sad and tragic situation that the good Miller's have been immersed in for far too long.

  3. #3

    Default

    On the tv news it was suggested that there was initial hope that he would recover. While I am no big fan of keeping someone alive, I don't think anyone but the family should decide - it is their private business.

  4. #4
    C2E Bandwidth Hog
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    29,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    I feel for Mrs. Miller (and Mr. Miller) but I have to wonder if she holds on so strongly to Dougald with a sense that he may one day improve or more as a talisman (physical reminder) to the authorities of what Leo Teskey did and to ensure that Teskey is locked up for good –finally and good riddance.
    I wonder if Teskey can get a murder rap if Dougald dies?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  5. #5
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holyrood
    Posts
    4,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    On the tv news it was suggested that there was initial hope that he would recover. While I am no big fan of keeping someone alive, I don't think anyone but the family should decide - it is their private business.
    If it's as public as this, I think there's a reasonable expectation that unsolicited opinions on the matter will be thrown about.

    And I think it's obvious that the family decides, regardless of those opinions.
    Strathcona City Separatist

  6. #6
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holyrood
    Posts
    4,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    I feel for Mrs. Miller (and Mr. Miller) but I have to wonder if she holds on so strongly to Dougald with a sense that he may one day improve or more as a talisman (physical reminder) to the authorities of what Leo Teskey did and to ensure that Teskey is locked up for good –finally and good riddance.
    I wonder if Teskey can get a murder rap if Dougald dies?
    Doesn't the statute of limitations prevent that after more than 2 years?
    Strathcona City Separatist

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    I feel for Mrs. Miller (and Mr. Miller) but I have to wonder if she holds on so strongly to Dougald with a sense that he may one day improve or more as a talisman (physical reminder) to the authorities of what Leo Teskey did and to ensure that Teskey is locked up for good –finally and good riddance.
    I wonder if Teskey can get a murder rap if Dougald dies?
    Doesn't the statute of limitations prevent that after more than 2 years?
    The statute of limitations doesn't apply to murder cases.

  8. #8
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holyrood
    Posts
    4,846

    Default

    I think I knew that, and should probably not post before my first coffee.
    Strathcona City Separatist

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    I think I knew that, and should probably not post before my first coffee.
    Ha, I know what you mean. I don't know if he can be convicted of murder when he's already been convicted of assault for the same incident, though.

  10. #10
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    15,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    I think I knew that, and should probably not post before my first coffee.
    Ha, I know what you mean. I don't know if he can be convicted of murder when he's already been convicted of assault for the same incident, though.
    Yes he can... his conviction for assault would be overturned if he went to trial and was found guilty of murder. It wouldn't change much, except his prison stay would be longer (although if his dangerous-offender status goes forward, his stay could be indefinite).

  11. #11
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,696

    Default

    Personally I have a living will that instructs my benefactors to "pull the plug" in the event that I'm incapacitated with no reasonable hope of recovery.

    But I can fully understand his wife's position, and feel nothing but sympathy for her. But at the same time, it's certainly not a healthy way to continue her life.

  12. #12
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,249
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Having seen this too many times (a long stay at the WW Cross Cancer was more enlightening than I wanted it to be), I'm careful on whether or not to say when someone should or should not pull the plug.

    That decision is heart wrenching at the best of times and family devastating and divisive at the worst. I made the mistake of giving my opinion to a family from a patient point of view, and was equally profoundly praised and vehemently vilified. This is truly a personal decision made with factors that we all cannot pretend to know. Maybe there is hope in this case. Maybe there is false hope resulting in potential torture. We are not there. Hopefully, none of you aren't in this position.

    Truly, euthanasia is something that society as a whole has yet to figure out. When do you give up? When do you decide for someone else that their quality of life is "inferior"? When is prolonging the life more comfort to the living than to the nearly or clinically dead? Even the simple act of "pulling the plug" on someone who is simply not going to recover is hard enough. I cannot pretend to put myself in their shoes, or even think what I would do as the situations are so varied and complex.

    ...which is why I have a living will. I've already made my decisions on DNR, and thankfully I have the ability to.

    As for whether or not Teskey will be charged for murder, that may depend on the outcome of the dangerous offender status. If he is classified as such, a murder rap is pretty much moot. He's a true lifer anyway.
    Onward and upward

  13. #13
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    332

    Default

    I truly feel that the Millers have been put through hell by the justice? system - IMO, the system should just put Tesky away for good and should not have allowed the appeal - the only benefit will be some lawyers will get some more money.

    Much the same as the situation in Mayerthorpe, the justice?system failed society by allowing a pervert who threatened anyone who opposed him and eventually murder four RCMP and basically ruined the lives of two young men by forcing their involvement giving him a rifle and driving him to his farm tht fateful night. If the justice?system had done its job, he would have never been let out of jail....

  14. #14
    C2E Bandwidth Hog
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    29,736

    Default

    Because the whole Teskey debacle is still dragging on endlessly, I wanted to bump this thread again.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  15. #15

    Default

    Since you restarted this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I am really sorry to say this, and at the risk of sounding like an insensitive lout, but am I the only one who feels a bit angry that this poor man has been kept alive in an invalid and slowly-dying state for 8 years? I know everyone has different views, but if I was in his position I'd have wanted the plug pulled years ago and let my wife move on with her life without the physical, emotional and financial burdens this has caused her. If he's been unable to move or communicate except for blinking and screaming, then who can really and truly say if that's how he's wanted to live since his encounter with Teskey? Who can say except Dougald himself?

    I've lost people close to me. In the case of family, pull-the-plug decisions were made. Losing a loved one is a damned hard thing to do, but its an inevitability every living being has to face sooner or later. Moving on can be harder, but if you have the love and support of others, it is not an impossibility.
    Even if Dougald Miller wasn't alive at this juncture, the fact that the events leading to his current state are still being rehashed in a courtroom do make it impossible to move on. This isn't just a matter of losing a loved one and these specific circumstances are not inevitable, thankfully.
    "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

  16. #16
    C2E Bandwidth Hog
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    29,736

    Default

    Hate to say it, but thank God. If it was me, I'd have wanted the plug pulled ages ago.

    Dougald Miller, Edmonton landlord brutally attacked in 2000, dies in hospital
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2958658/do.../?sf36935865=1
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  17. #17
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    15,994

    Default

    Wow. 16 years later. Sad story.

  18. #18

    Default

    Old but well worth reading about Miller...

    http://www.petergoldring.ca/media/IS...to%20Speak.pdf


    Dougald Miller can only communicate with his eyes, and through cries. He cannot speak or move to any significant degree. There is technology available through U.S.-based Eye Tech Digital Systems (www.eyetechds.com) that might en- able Dougald Miller to use his eyes to speak again, by using his eyes to communicate through a computer. Mrs. Miller had to find out about this technology on her own, but un- fortunately it doesn’t appear that government is prepared to offer assistance with the esti- mated cost of $25,000.

    And there's this:
    In March of 2005, in an Edmonton courtroom, Leo Teskey was finally declared to be a dangerous offender, and to the relief of many, will be jailed indefinitely. This decision was rendered after nearly twenty years of constant criminal behaviour by Teskey, during which Teskey was charged with 164 crimes and convicted 34 times, including a conviction for shooting a policeman in the back of the head and another for tearing the penis of a two year -old child.

    ...

    In 1995, Leo Teskey was identified as being a... In fact, Teskey had one of the highest scores in testing for...
    Last edited by KC; 26-09-2016 at 07:35 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •