Thread: Gondolas across the River Valley as part of the LRT System

Default Gondolas across the River Valley as part of the LRT System

What about a gondola from Whyte Ave. by 103 St. over the End of Steel Park down to Telus Field Baseball Park with a station there and then up the 103 St. Hill to connect at the LRT Bay Station?
    Breezy Brian Gregg

C2E Super Addict

Default Re: Gondolas across the River Valley as part of the LRT Syst

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy_Bri
    What about a gondola from Whyte Ave. by 103 St. over the End of Steel Park down to Telus Field Baseball Park with a station there and then up the 103 St. Hill to connect at the LRT Bay Station?
    I love it.

"Wish I thought of that"

Maybe you can stretch the "ride" a bit to follow the river for a while. Doesn't need to be part of the transit system - maybe just an attraction of sorts. Either way, good idea.
    Chump

Partially Addicted to C2E

I think there needs to be a few inclined railways built, or outdoor escalators built to get people to and from the river valley to Strathcona and downtown. Maybe not a gondola per say, but some sort of way to move people in the area car free.

Personally I also think the city needs to start a water taxi/river gondola service from Hawrelak Park to Rafters Landing and possibly to Rundle Park as well. That would get tourists and average citizens to use the parks more for at least 6-8 months per year..

C2E Long Term Contributor

how about nixing things like this in favour of LRT or new roads...i love creative ideas, but we need to put all we can into an expanded LRT.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

LRT should be one of the biggest priorities for Edmonton when it comes to public transportation, but I think there is room for some of these ideas.

For one thing, I'd love to see a much more permanent and noticable station for the street car that already travels from behind the barns to Jasper Ave over the high level bridge.

Regarding a gondola or people mover, whatever it may be, I think it should originate from 82 Ave or from that same station I mentioned about for the street car. I believe it needs to be pretty close to whyte ave for people to really want to use it.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

grish

hey! check out River Valley Tours by cable car i would live this to be more of a tourist thing, but also provide another transit means. Ian, this idea is more for the scenery, not meant to take away from LRT. (unless people mean it to be the transportation method for crossing the river in which case--build a bridge and/or develop LRT)

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by grish
    hey! check out River Valley Tours by cable car i would live this to be more of a tourist thing, but also provide another transit means. Ian, this idea is more for the scenery, not meant to take away from LRT. (unless people mean it to be the transportation method for crossing the river in which case--build a bridge and/or develop LRT)
    I might prefer it if it was more of a tourist / relax and enjoy the view thing. Not sure how feasible as part of transit.

Regarding nixing this for LRT, you could say that about every non-LRT idea posted in this forum

I checked it out grish. I guess I am not the only one thinking about Gondolas but I am thinking about the tourist angle as secondary. I am thinking of it as part of the LRT system. Rapid transit from downtown to the baseball stadium and to Whyte ave. You could move a lot of people quickly acroos the river and back and I would bet it would cost less than building a new bridge. I wonder who knows the relative costs. I do know tunnels and bridges are expensive.
    Breezy Brian Gregg

grish

they are expensive, but not as expensive as gondolas that fit cars and trucks. they too want to cross the river as quickly as possible.

they are expensive, but not as expensive as gondolas that fit cars and trucks. they too want to cross the river as quickly as possible.
    if we just stick to Gondolas for people and maybe their bikes and forget about trying to put cars and trucks on too, we would need less busses on the bridges leaving more room for trucks and cars.
    Breezy Brian Gregg

Neat idea, but let's keep it strictly tourist-y. A la Louis McKinney Park or something. Not part of a staple transit system.

Send the money to an expanded LRT.

Default rapid transit alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by onishenko
    Neat idea, but let's keep it strictly tourist-y. A la Louis McKinney Park or something. Not part of a staple transit system.

Send the money to an expanded LRT.
    why keep it strictly tourist-y ?
    I think the idea of the LRT is to get people quickly and effeciently around the city. I am just suggesting that trains are not always the answer. With our river valley you have to deal with expensive construction of tunnels and bridges. The gondola that I am proposing is a direct route conecting the centre of Old Strathcona to the baseball stadium and to Bay Station on Jasper ave. I would like to see an engineer's comment on the relative costs of a gondola link compared to a rail link at this location. The other advantage of a gondola for this location vs rail is that you pretty well get to leave whats on the ground alone. As I said in the post above it would take busses off the bridges connecting to downtown and leave more room for trucks and cars. If you look at a map the right of way is pretty clear. Right now our LRT is one line. Most urban centres with rapid transit have branches. I don't know how old you are or how long you have lived in Edmonton but one thing that irks me from the past is that when CN closed and sold their downtown rail yard the city let it go. There was a rail right of way all the way from down town to St. Albert. The rails were there and everything. All that development Mac Ewan College, Oliver Square, etc. could have been built over the rail line. Now if we want LRT to St. Albert we have to take out roads and houses or tunnel. Before I could try and speak up about the lack of forsight in that move it was a done deal. I'm so glad now this C2e is happening. It gives more of a chance for people to present views on how the city develops.

I wonder what is going to happen to the CP rail yards in Old Strathcona. Will it eventually be closed and sold and be covered in condos and then we will dig a tunnel under them to the airport ?

It is the logical place to run rail service south and the Gondola I have suggested in this post topic, is the link between downtown and an eventual line to the airport.

When we are considering how and where to spend money I think it is important to look at what we want to acomplish in the end and I think here that means transporting people quickly and effeciently.
    Breezy Brian Gregg

Gondola possibility for Calgary is up in the air
    BY RICHARD CUTHBERTSON, POSTMEDIA NEWS FEBRUARY 15, 2012
    "CALGARY — An advocate of bringing ski hill transportation to the congested urban setting says gondolas may be Calgary's solution to fill in the gaps in its public transit system..."

"...Jen Malzer said a gondola system can start as low as $5 million per kilometre, while the same stretch of LRT typically runs between $20 million and $80 million, depending on the configuration..."

http://www.canada.com/Gondola+possib...512/story.html

see this earlier discussion...
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...read.php?t=527
    Last edited by KC; 16-02-2012 at 06:50 AM.