Thread: Will airfares fall in the new year?

Addicted to C2E

Default Will airfares fall in the new year?

Anybody out there have any opinions (or insider info lol) about whether airfares will actually come down next year? I'm looking at the current Air Canada seat sale and the prices on certain flights have come down significantly, especially on their new flights next year like YUL-FCO and YUL-GVA.

YEG-FCO for example is down from about $2090 (on Expedia) to $1740 (on AC) and $1580 on AC (if YEG-YUL and YUL-FCO booked seperately). I'm also curious about why the fare is different if booked seperately as shown above. Is this perhaps because the YEG-YUL fare (with no seat selection, 25% Aeroplan miles, no advance seat selection) is a Tango fare with the noted exclusions?

Some airlines around the world seem to be reducing/dropping their fuel surcharges and i'm curious if Air Canada will follow suit. AC usually has a seat sale in the spring for summer travel so i'm hesitant to book something this early on. I'm curious if the new YYC-AMS route by KLM along with BA's continuing flight to LHR will decrease prices on flights to Europe. Although we have no competition to Europe (i don't consider Air Transat a threat to AC) from YEG, if prices from YYC to Europe fall, i'm sure AC will have the same prices from YEG to Europe via one of their hubs in Canada.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I guess we all live in hopes on this one. Just why does AC continue to implement fuel surcharges to flight destinations outside of North America? I'm sure they buy their fuel at the one rate, regardless of which aircraft it's pumped into.

I remember reading a while back that a lot of airlines locked themselves into long term futures contracts to buy fuel at quite high prices (they probably were reading too much peak oil nonesense). So, it is going to be interesting - you would hope some airlines at least did not lock in long term.

I'm writing an article about the recent history of yo-yo-ing airfares inc those of Air Canada. I'd appreciate any input here if anyone has experience of this over the past few years with this particular airline? For example if you are a frequent traveler of AC, have you seen massive changes at certain times of the year? Thanks so much in advance!