Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Business & Economy Here’s where you can read about business and the economy in the Edmonton region - announcements and results, emerging technologies, relocations, mergers, acquisitions, as well as Edmonton’s national and international profile. Comment, inform, discuss all of these topics.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Business & Economy

Old 01-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Default Sunday banking coming to Edmonton

Sunday banking coming to Edmonton
By Bill MahDecember 1, 2008 12:01 PM

EDMONTON — Forget Sunday shopping. Now Sunday banking is coming to Edmonton.

CIBC announced today that two of its five new branches scheduled to open in Edmonton in 2009 will open Sundays. The bank calls full-service Sunday banking hours a first for the city.

“Since we introduced Sunday hours last December in other urban communities, our clients have told us they really enjoy the convenience of being able to bank and get financial advice seven days a week,” said Wendy Slavin, senior western Canadian vice-president of retail markets.

CIBC will operate Sundays from noon to 4 p.m. at its Namao branch, at 97th Street and 162nd Avenue, when it opens next spring.

The Anthony Henday and Terwillegar location will also offer Sunday hours when it opens in the fall of 2009.

“Offering Sunday banking hours at these two new branches will give our Edmonton clients even greater flexibility, access and choice so they can bank when their schedule allows.”

bmah@thejournal.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Story found at: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...645/story.html
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
davidnorwoodink
Addicted to C2E

I guess it was inevitable.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
LindseyT
Addicted to C2E

good.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

About time. Banking service is a modern-day oxymoron
Old 01-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Thank you. I was amazed at how backwards Edmonton was on Sunday shopping when I first came here... let it continue, there are plenty of people who could do with the the extra work despite the labour crunch.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

My bank is open from 8am to 8 pm Monday to Friday, and 10-6pm on Saturdays... Perfect for all my needs, and has been doing so for a very very long time. Its about time some other banks starting offering something out of normal banking hours of 9-5... Hopefully this trend catches on for more then 2 branches of the CIBC. Most TD/Canada Trust banks offer the hours I've mentioned.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
davidnorwoodink
Addicted to C2E

Considering Sunday is the second-busiest shopping day of the week now, it is about time banks moved into the 21st century. It wasn't all that long ago that hours were 10 to 3, with some banks remaining open Thursdays or Fridays until 5 or 6.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Now...if we can find someway to get that damn Capital One [ featuring the devil] credit card spot off off the air. Then we're REALLY getting somewhere.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
hoserwithahose
First One is Always Free

This got me thinking … I can't remember the last time I was actually in a bank requiring face to face service … I do all my banking online or at the ATM. The mortgage came from a mortgage broker. I don't think Sunday banking really means much when most services are already available 24-7.
hoserwithahose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
bobinedmonton
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserwithahose View Post
This got me thinking … I can't remember the last time I was actually in a bank requiring face to face service … I do all my banking online or at the ATM. The mortgage came from a mortgage broker. I don't think Sunday banking really means much when most services are already available 24-7.
Yeah! What HE said!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
ThomasH
Addicted to C2E

It's about time, I remember one time when I wanted to buy a car on Sunday and couldn't get any money because the banks were closed. I called my bank that day and they told me branches were open in Calgary and Airdrie, that made me seething mad, and I made sure my bank knew that.

I hope the other banks follow CIBC's lead.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserwithahose View Post
Word. The only time I need face-to-face banking is if I need a loan or a line of credit extension.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

I have to go in to a branch if I need to withdraw more than my daily limit in cash. The ATM's stop at $500 for me. i also head to branches for money orders and currency exchange.

But yes, most of it can be done online.

BMO is still very backwards with their hours. I believe there's only one or two branches open on SATURDAYS in the city.
nobleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #14
Wrecker
Addicted to C2E

I'm guessing the employees aren't to happy about it. I don't believe we need to be a 24/7 society, there has to be some down time...but I'm sure I'm in the minority, especially in this forum.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

I personally don't see the need. As others have already said, with online banking and ATMs, I only need to go to the bank for personal service a couple times a year. But I can see why some people would appreciate it, especially if they work full time during the week and banking at lunch isn't a viable option.
raz0469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #16
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

I think it is a very good idea, my bank (Scotiabank) has horrible hours. Open from 10 am to 4 pm (Mon-Thurs.) and 10 am to 6 pm on Friday whilst it is closed on Sat-Sun. How many people start work before 10 am and get off after 4 pm? This makes most people unavailable to get to the bank as they are at work.

Regards
Hilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
I'm guessing the employees aren't to happy about it.
Why? Lots of people would like to work Sunday either as an extra job, or full time with a couple of days off during the week instead. This gives more choice - which is always a good thing.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
Dusty Bear
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
Quote:
Why? Lots of people would like to work Sunday either as an extra job, or full time with a couple of days off during the week instead. This gives more choice - which is always a good thing.
Ditto. And the extra shift might require additional employees. That's not a bad thing when the economy is on shaky grounds.
Dusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #19
Wrecker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
Quote:

I used to work 5 days a week, plus every 2nd Saturday. It sucked not having full weekends off, even if I was being paid for it.

Last edited by Wrecker; 04-12-2008 at 09:47 AM..
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #20
kubchaser
Partially Addicted to C2E

Finally! It's about time they open banks on Sunday!
kubchaser is offline   Reply With Quote