Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Education Edmonton has a reputation for excellence in education, from the public and separate school systems, the University of Alberta, MacEwan, NAIT to any one of the other institutions in this city. Students, teachers, parents, researchers and anyone else interested in our education system, please post your comments and thoughts here!

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Regional Issues > Education

Old 21-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
amma
First One is Always Free

Default best schools in Edmonton

I moved with the kids recently from BC,
can anyone tell the best elementary schools in Edmonton ? is public or private better ?

thanks
amma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

private schools?
nobleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
amma
First One is Always Free

Default elementary schools in Edmonton

We recently re-located from BC,
can you tell the best elementary schools in Edmonton?
is private better than public?

thanks
Old 21-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
amma
First One is Always Free

which ones ?
Old 21-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
sbrussell
Partially Addicted to C2E

What's 'private' school? Never heard of it.
sbrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
JadeOnline
First One is Always Free

I don't have any suggestions. You should get a response here at C2E. But in case you don't, you could also try www.linkingparents.com. It's an Edmonton based parenting board and they've always got good advice for other parents.
JadeOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^there are some... but Edmonton Public is generally regarded to be one of the best systems in Canada.

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
W Wong
First One is Always Free

Check out Edmonton Public Schools at: www.epsb.ca
Many learning opportunities are offered at different schools. Many bilingual programs are offered in different languages such as: Chinese (Mandarin), German, Ukrainian, French, Sign Language, etc. There are schools focused on performing arts, languages, sports, technology, etc
W Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Actually I'm not aware of any private elementary schools in Edmonton, so I guess I'd say public is better. If you value a religious component you might also consider the Catholic school board, which incidentally is also public. They're both exemplary systems, although the student mix will vary from neighbourhood to neighbourhood. The public system has been hyped as a model for all of North America, but the Catholic system has had to keep up. Basically if you're in a good neighbourhood you've got a good school, I'd venture. A while ago we did have a few private "Christian" schools (I'm not sure what that meant exactly) but they also joined the public school board some years ago.

The one other thing I can tell you that might help is that several of the elementary schools feature language immersion (or semi-immersion), so depending on if you or your kids want that you could choose on that basis. I think the selection includes French, Spanish, Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Cree, Ukranian, and maybe others, but you might only have that opportunity at grade one.

Sorry there's not much concrete there, but with luck someone will correct me.

Last edited by JayBee; 21-10-2008 at 09:19 PM..
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
howie
Addicted to C2E

Might this help? It's about Charter Schools.

http://education.alberta.ca/media/43...rter_hndbk.pdf
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
linster
First One is Always Free

Depends where you live!

The best elementary school that I know of would be St.Martin elementary school. Small classes (~25-30), one class per grade, ~140 students in the whole school, Onsite daycare, Ukrainian Bilingual program (only about 1 hour per day), the list goes on
linster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #12
Thomas Hinderks
Flying Encyclopedia

amma

I've got a child in grade 11 that has been through the Edmonton School system and a toddler that will soon be entering it.

There are regular public schools, Catholic schools and Charter schools in the Edmonton system.

Public and Catholic are pretty straight forward, charter are public schools with special focus...academic, sports, cultural, language etc.

I would recommend you use the public school website to come up with a list of schools that meet your needs geographically and educationally then take the time to go to them and interview and inspect them.

The ratings given often do not take into account some factors so cannot be used solely as a guide. Go to the school, meet the potential teachers and select from there. Also be sure to meet the Principal and be confortable with them as well.

Each time my child has changed schools we have followed this system and been pleased (for the most part) with the results.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 21-10-2008 at 10:37 PM..
Thomas Hinderks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #13
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

All the responses here are accurate. Edmonton's school system is regarded as one of the best and has been copied by school boards in New York, Los Angeles and overseas (the Philippines I think).

^ Thomas Hindricks -- a grade 11 student and a toddler, wow!
DebraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #14
grish
Addicted to C2E

there are private schools, but I have no info about them. I think for us to give you better idea, tell us what type of education you value.
Old 22-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #15
tyles
First One is Always Free

Default Waldorf School in Edmonton

May I take this opportunity to promote a new school initiative in Edmonton, an Edmonton Public Waldorf School.
For more information go to http://www.wese.ca
tyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #16
Thomas Hinderks
Flying Encyclopedia

Morning all

DebraW

Yes my children do span a fair gap. I have also been on several parents councils and seen the EPSB at work both good and bad.

amma...EPSB as a system is great but please do interview schools, teachers and administrators as they are the ones that have the most direct effect on your children and how/what they are going to learn.

I have had the pleasure of some fantastic educators...then there have been the others.

Direct involvement and interaction with the schools, teachers and administrators is the best way for a parent to insure your children are getting the education you want them to have.

Tom
Thomas Hinderks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #17
IKAN104
Addicted to C2E

Most parents on here will have only used one or two elementary schools in the city which makes it difficult for us to say how those schools compare to others. As Thomas said, start with www.epsb.ca and then start visiting schools you're interested in.
IKAN104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #18
Green Grovenor
Addicted to C2E

Perhaps start with the school located in the community in which you live:

- Walking to school is healthy and inexpensive, while driving to a destination elsewhere may be a waste of time and a waste of money.

- Your kids will get to meet friends who live close to you.

- You will make community connections -- for example, finding out the name of trustworthy babysitter who lives in the neighbourhood.

- By joining the school council, you can help set the direction of your community school.

The EPSB is drowning in the idea of educational choice, but the option you seldom hear about is the one that's best for civics and the environment: supporting the school that supports your community.
Green Grovenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #19
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Grovenor View Post
Perhaps start with the school located in the community in which you live:
I think that's the best answer - it is the right answer. In saying that, in choosing where to live, people should be considering schools (instead of, for example, buying in a neighborhood like Summerside which has none, then whining about it).
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #20
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

You may already know, but there are no restrictions on where you send your child to school. Therefore, schools compete for students (and therefore more funding) with each other, which usually leads to a very good quality of education. More importantly, you have to determine if you would like to enroll your child in any specialized programs, etc. This is what sets some schools apart from others, and what affects where to send your child, simply depending on what you want them to learn. This being said, there is no problem with simply remaining in the "regular" program - they follow the Alberta Education curriculum and have a good reputation.
AAAAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #21
grish
Addicted to C2E

/\ it isn't the competition that leads to good quality education. good quality is a result of good teacher training, good school leadership, and good curriculum outcomes.

the competition led to more creative programs. it is only in that that the competition for students has benefited the students.
Old 23-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #22
amma
First One is Always Free

Thanks alot for all the replies,
I'll check the posted resources......
Old 23-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #23
Cured
Addicted to C2E

There is a new Islamic private school offering KG-G12

www.edmontonislamicacademy.ca

and there is the private Edmonton Christian School also offering KG-G12 at a few different campuses

www.edmchristian.net
Cured is offline   Reply With Quote