Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed

Old 08-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
Tiran
Addicted to C2E

Default Outlet mall

Is there an outlet mall in Edmonton? I don't mean a crap mall full of dollar stores and weird imitation shops. I mean where all the chains send their end of season stuff and old stock. Of course it could be both.
Like Deerfoot Mall in Calgary.
Tiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
RichardS
C2E Junkie

South Edmonton Common has a few - Guess, Nike, etc
Old 08-10-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

Do these or any outlet stores truly supply end of line goods at reduced prices or or just provide you with a close proximity big (?) name draw without any "sale" pricing?
Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
grish
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
Do these or any outlet stores truly supply end of line goods at reduced prices or or just provide you with a close proximity big (?) name draw without any "sale" pricing?
i am going to admit having shopped at SEC. I bought a tuxedo from Le Chateau for $50 for my wedding a few years ago.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
andym
Partially Addicted to C2E

I shop at American outlet "malls" all the time when I'm down there. Often times you find better items than you would find here in Canada and way way less $ imo.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
IanO
Addicted to C2E

SEC has a few outlets, but their pricing is far from what you would expect.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

"Outlet" has a very different meaning here than it does in other cities and countries. Unfortunately the stores in SEC don't offer much of a discount and most of them seem to carry exactly what they sell in their regular stores.
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
davidnorwoodink
Addicted to C2E

I can't remember the exact name of the shopping area, but the seemingly endless group of stores north of 34th Avenue between Calgary Trail and Gateway Boulevard have a number of outlet stores - Roots, Danier, and several more - they're just north of the Canadian Tire store. But I also agree that they aren't true outlet stores like the ones in the USA or eastern Canada.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
Tiran
Addicted to C2E

Yeah most outlet stores here dont really have the mark downs the most people associate with the word outlet. But I am looking for the one where all the chains dump their last seasons stuff so it's not taking space at the good stores. In Calgary it used to be NorthHill, then it was Deerfoot.
I am looking for swimwear/shorts and since summer is over the prices are good but the sizes are sporadic at the regular stores. I am hoping for a bit more choice if it all consolidate at one store.

Last edited by Tiran; 08-10-2008 at 10:07 AM..
Old 08-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
azzurri
First One is Always Free

Just an suggestion...what about West Edmonton Mall making an Outlet phase as part of the mall. When I travel to the US the first thing I do is lookup where the outlet mall is. WEM would be prefect for the other travelers looking for a outlet mall and solve what must people want in Edmonton is an area or mall with the outlet stores.
azzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
Tiran
Addicted to C2E

Most stores don't like that. They don't want their outlet stores close to their regular stores. I doubt the merchants would sign on, and don't think it is the image the mall wants.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
azzurri
First One is Always Free

Tiran...there some merchants in WEM that have two regular stores in the mall already. There is a difference in outlet store compare to a regular store. I think if the mall can bring more people to the mall is a good thing for every store.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Tiran
Addicted to C2E

But regular stores don't compete with each other the way an outlet would. Outlet stores give people the option of spending less in your store. Two regular stores just means you have 2x the inventory, or an alternate location within walking distance if one store is too busy. I am sure some of those double stores would have prefered a single larger one.

That's why in the US outlet malls are way out in the middle of no where.

Last edited by Tiran; 08-10-2008 at 11:46 AM..
Old 08-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
azzurri
First One is Always Free

Valid point...but WEM is not your typical mall you can have another phase dedicated to 15 to 20 different outlets store...which might be Nike, Addidas, Ralph Lauren, etc. Maybe some of the outlet stores can be stores that don't have a regular store in WEM.

I am thinking on how we can [COLOR=black]rejuvenate WEM and outlet section might help in the rejuvenation and solve the discussion on where to put a outlet mall/centre (hit two birds with one stone).[/COLOR]

Last edited by davidnorwoodink; 08-10-2008 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: formatting
Old 08-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
I can't remember the exact name of the shopping area, but the seemingly endless group of stores north of 34th Avenue between Calgary Trail and Gateway Boulevard have a number of outlet stores - Roots, Danier, and several more - they're just north of the Canadian Tire store. But I also agree that they aren't true outlet stores like the ones in the USA or eastern Canada.
South Park.

Where Century Grill is located.
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote