Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Raves Good things to express about experiences or things that have happened while in Edmonton.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Raves

Old 01-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
ralph60
Addicted to C2E

Default Servus Center in St. Albert.

The Servus Center opened this weekend in St. Albert.
It is the largest leasure center in the region.
There is no difference in admission or membership charges regardless of whether you are a St. Albert resident or not. According to St. Albert Mayor Paul Chalifoux this is in recognition that St. Albert benefits from other municipalities facilities and that the fee policy is our way of returning the benefit.
ralph60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Fleogan
First One is Always Free

Cool! Have to go check it out.

I hope no one from Millenium in SP read the article in the Journal. Prices are higher at the St. Albert facility.
Fleogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
RichardS
C2E Junkie

I took a quick tour - nice center.

...although it was kind of cute to hear "What's a Servus?"
Old 02-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
RichardS
C2E Junkie

Default Re: Servus Center in St. Albert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph60
According to St. Albert Mayor Paul Chalifoux this is in recognition that St. Albert benefits from other municipalities facilities and that the fee policy is our way of returning the benefit.
...or it is a velvet glove guising the "please come help pay for this thing!" desperation on council? I hear Messier is looking to sponsor an arena - NOT.

Still, all that political crap aside, it is a great facility that I hope in the end will pay for itself so it will continually be a benefit to the NW section of Metro Edmonton and our rural friends.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
Dusty Bear
Addicted to C2E

The Servus Centre is a prime example of the need for greater regional cooperation.

The Tri Leisure Centre in Spruce Grove was built without as large a hit to taxpayers because the cost was share between Parkland County, Spruce Grove and Stony Plain. In addition to being able to spread out the cost over a larger tax base, this also gave the municipalities greater leverage in obtaining grants.

St. Albert originally planned to build its rec centre in partnership with Sturgeon County and Morinville for the same reasons. But the deal fell apart over intermunicipal squabbling and now St. Albert taxpayers shoulder most of the burden for a centre that serves a much greater area.

Chalifoux isn't to blame. His strength is building consensus and he did a great deal to repair the damaged relationships St. Albert had with its neighbours. Richard Plain served as mayor between Chalifoux's current and previous terms and undid a lot of goodwill.

Reading about the battles in the Alberta Capital Region Alliance is tiresome. The provincial government spent $1 million a few years back on a regional governance report that's since been collecting dust.

I wish they'd all just get rulers, unzip their pants and measure up, because that's about the intelligence of this ongoing argument between municipalities - and that's about how useful it is, too.

But I'm getting way off topic. It is good to see St. Albert finally its long overdue rec centre.
Dusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
RichardS
C2E Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bear
Chalifoux isn't to blame. His strength is building consensus and he did a great deal to repair the damaged relationships St. Albert had with its neighbours. Richard Plain served as mayor between Chalifoux's current and previous terms and undid a lot of goodwill.
Dick sure did. I can't say my source, but I know he was approached by interested city parties to see if there could be some co-operation here as NW Edmonton could use the help with getting a closer rec center, and there was will to help PAY for it. There was a great chance to highlight regional co-operation, but it blew away with Dick's stubbron refusal to get the heck out of 1981.

Quote:
Reading about the battles in the Alberta Capital Region Alliance is tiresome. The provincial government spent $1 million a few years back on a regional governance report that's since been collecting dust.

I wish they'd all just get rulers, unzip their pants and measure up, because that's about the intelligence of this ongoing argument between municipalities - and that's about how useful it is, too.

There is report after repot after study after position paper after...you know. They all reached similar conclusions - but the region does not want to give up the good deal they have, and certain MLA's felt their political futures were at stake should the report be followed.

I agree with the zipper comment, enough is enough.

Quote:
But I'm getting way off topic. It is good to see St. Albert finally its long overdue rec centre.

Akinsdale, anything is better than that! This center is a great place to be. I checked it out today - wow.