Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Heritage and History There are literally dozens of museums, large and small, that tell the history of Edmonton and area yet you rarely see anything on the forum about them. This forum is C2E's attempt to fix that error. History is the foundation we build our future on and our community, like a home, needs a strong foundation to last. Rather than allow it to be overwhelmed, ignored or left to the persistent few lets create a section where it has it's own voice. Working with the area Museums and Edmonton Heritage Council C2E could create a history/heritage section that would give voice and story to the amazing and exciting history of Edmonton and allow smaller museums to have a voice and promote themselves to the community.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Heritage and History

Old 16-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #701
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

It's been gone for 10 years probably. 7 or 8 at the very least. You probably wouldn't recognize Westmount, especially now. There's a Home Depot going in (which I cannot for the life of me understand how it will work, considering parking is already an issue with all the pad sites they've added), the ice rink is being converted to a Gold's Gym, and so on.
raz0469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #702
Colin
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0469
It's been gone for 10 years probably. 7 or 8 at the very least. You probably wouldn't recognize Westmount, especially now. There's a Home Depot going in (which I cannot for the life of me understand how it will work, considering parking is already an issue with all the pad sites they've added), the ice rink is being converted to a Gold's Gym, and so on.
I remember going to play bowling and pool somewhere at Westmount.
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #703
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

I think the bowling alley was put in the same time they re-did the food court and took out all the cars. But my memory is fuzzy.
Old 17-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #704
Moe10
First One is Always Free

Cool 80's Night Life

Edmonton has been my homebase or home city for a few decades now. Here are a few things I remember from the nightlife of the1980's:
- partying at many of the live band venues around Edmonton in the 80's like the CI South, The Highway Motor Inn, The Rex, The Beverly Crest, MJ's Roadhbouse.
- Some of the bands back then were: Cannon Anny (Van Halan tribute band), Simon Kaos, Hostage, Witchhazel, Strik-9 Anyone know what ever happened to any of these guys?
- Nightclubs such as Rock City, Baily's, Club Malibu, Goose Loonies, the Greenhouse, Barry-T's
- Going to rock concerts at the Coliseum. Many rock bands performed there and it was a blast. Anyone could hop the boards and head down to the floor and maybe even make your way to the stage back then (an impossible feat today).
- Grabbing a bite after the clubs closed for the night at Baaco Pizza on Calgary Trail South
Moe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #705
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe10 View Post
- Nightclubs such as Rock City, Baily's, Club Malibu, Goose Loonies, the Greenhouse, Barry-T's
Club Malibu just re-opened in Old Strathcona, but this time on 81 Ave. Don't know if it's being run by the Vickers people or not:
http://www.clubmalibu.ca/index.html
Old 20-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #706
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

Anyone remember Johnston-Walkers stores? I don't know I have such a distinct memory of them, I've never been very interested in clothing, but for some reason they really stand out in my mind.

I guess as a kid, they always seemed to have this sort of exotic quality about them that I can't quite put my finger on. I remember at one of them, I saw some kind of zodiac chart on the counter, which seemed really mysterious. I think that was at the one in Bonnie Doon.
overoceans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #707
microbus
Addicted to C2E

I remember going in the Johnstone-Walker on Jasper Ave, but I was fairly young, so don't remember much more about it, besides that it was there.
Anyone remember the Grierson Hill Mini-Golf? I went there a few times over 30 years ago.
Old 20-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #708
glenorarat
Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbus View Post
I remember going in the Johnstone-Walker on Jasper Ave, but I was fairly young, so don't remember much more about it, besides that it was there.
The Johnstone-Walker I remember was in Westmount Mall. (See previous posts on it where Westmount Mall is discussed. All I will say here is there was green carpeting and a 'footbridge' to the men's wear section.) The downtown location was where the Abbey-Glen 'pocket-park' was on Jasper & 102nd. that was a four or a five story building that was pale yellow. What I remember were the J-W *SHOPPING BAGS*. They were white plastic with puple diamond shaped patterns on them, and every second diamond had a drawing of some historic Edmonton building or area such as the Inclined Railway, etc.
glenorarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #709
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

QUOTE:What I remember were the J-W *SHOPPING BAGS*. They were white plastic with puple diamond shaped patterns on them, and every second diamond had a drawing of some historic Edmonton building or area such as the Inclined Railway, etc.

END QUOTE

Didn't those shopping bags also have Calgary landmarks on them?
Old 22-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #710
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

Great (true) story about an old family pet "Randy" a cranky wire hair terrier who took off from our house in Garneau, went across the HL bridge and broke into the JW store via an abandoned coal chute in their alley and spent from Saturday closing to Monday opening tearing the crap out of most of the store. The Sutherland family who owned JW, knew our family and therefore Randy, were not terribly amused
This occurred WAY before my time on earth!
Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #711
IGNITERS
Addicted to C2E

Default I remember

lets see....born at the General Hospital ,just 1 block away from Willards HOUSE OF MAGIC!
-getting pocorn from the guy with the cart in front of ZELLERS ( tegler bldg )
-the winding lunch counter at Zellers and the lady that I saw dump ketchup down her shirt
-Malts at the woodwards food counter
-the coin operated TVs at the greyhound bus depot and the barbershop there being the brunt of every bad haircut joke
-growing up across from Alex Taylor school behind the Alex Taylor apartments and Vans meat market
-the Strand theatre, amazing !
-going to hair school at Marvell ( now Starlite lounge)
-all the drug dealers on 101st at the GLASS HEAD and MR SUBMARINE
-all the drive ins, TWIN,STARLITE,MILLWOODS,BELMONT etc
-though I was very young there was a guy that would take your photo as you walked downtown and give you a slip to retrieve a copy
- MIKES NEWS STAND
-ROY and SHARONs tattoo shop on 95st and 118 ave
-corndogs at WOOLCO ( still the best ever)
-UNCLE BENS sporting goods next to the Rialto
-THE WAFFLE SHOP! (TELL ME SOMEBODY HAS A PHOTO OF THIS PLACE,I WANT ONE BAD!) behind Baydala drugs on 103 and jasper
-THE LINGNAN!( thank god they haven't changed)
-105st overpass!
- feeding my finger to the fish in the lobby of the city hall!
-the TROC 59 ( mom played bingo there) and before that the TROCADERO dance hall where she worked in the coatcheck as a young lady...( I WANT A PHOTO of this building as well !
- running amok in the alleys downtown playing with my school friends .
-KRESKE(?) , the METROPOLITAN (MET)

bla bla , on and on ....42 years in this city!
IGNITERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #712
Crash
First One is Always Free

Red face AM Radio Shennannigans

Another interesting fact about Ed is in reguard to AM radio in it's infancy. In the '40s and '50s, the popular station in Edmonton was 1260 CFRN at (you guessed it) 1,260 kHz. In the '60s CHED got approval from the CRTC and changed there frequency to a 50,000W (huge for the time) AM station at 630kHz (and CFRN didn't increase to 50,000W until 1961). The people at CHED really pulled one over the CRTC because AM recievers all work on a "super-hetrodyne" principle. That is to say that to bring the signal to a usable audio range, it must go through several steps, the first is to "halve" the recieved frequency. The signal from 1260 CFRN would "halve" to 630kHz. Since CHED was putting out so much power at that frequency, some recievers would "pick up" CHED even though the were tuned to CFRN! Quite a marketing ploy. I remember driving around downtown and when the signal got weak (due to "multi-path" or interferance from the buildings) I would get CHED. It wasn't 'till years later that I made the connection.

Last edited by Crash; 11-03-2008 at 07:48 PM..
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #713
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

Default Calgarian & Edmontonian

I moved here and back and here from Calgary, but used to visit when I was a little kid, and moved here in the late 60's. I remember
- thinking the CN Tower was the tallest building in the world
- Westmount Mall being covered, the first indoor mall in Edmonton (Johnstone Walker, Kresges, Henry Singer, Woodwards)
- Bob Marley at the Kinsmen Fieldhouse, the only band that ever made that place sound good
- Opus 69 record store
- WW Arcade
- A&W drive-inn when bands played on the roof
- The Hovel (strange I remember it, because I was never inside)
- The Corona Tavern (live rock bar)
- Duran Duran at Convention Inn South, Motley Crue at the Sheraton on 7th, James Brown at Scandals (I was so close I was resting my elbows on the stage), Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, and other blues legends at the Ambassador
- seeing the 5th Avenue Allstars, Powerglide, Buckeye, and other great cabaret bands at the Convention West, where Papa Ghermezian personally checked everyone's ticket/stamp to make sure we all paid
- David Foster and the remarkably gifted Adrian Chornowol playing piano in lounges (we all know where David Foster is now. Adrian's story is unfortunately somewhat tragic - he became transgendered [a woman named Toby Dancer] and died in Toronto of a heroin overdose a few years ago, just as it seemed he was starting to feel alive again. He is the inspiration for the "Toby's Law", put forth by the federal NDP's)
- the "Beef Shack" in North Glenora. It was the city hockey shack, a log cabin style building. Every year they painted it, and every year, for more than a decade, someone spray painted the word "BEEF" in giant letters on the side of the building.
- Flashback (aka: the club)
- and finally (it still pisses me off a little), the Tegler Building, where my grandfather had his barber shop.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #714
glenorarat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I moved here and back and here from Calgary, but used to visit when I was a little kid, and moved here in the late 60's. I remember
- thinking the CN Tower was the tallest building in the world
- Westmount Mall being covered, the first indoor mall in Edmonton (Johnstone Walker, Kresges, Henry Singer, Woodwards)
- Bob Marley at the Kinsmen Fieldhouse, the only band that ever made that place sound good
- Opus 69 record store
- WW Arcade
- A&W drive-inn when bands played on the roof
- The Hovel (strange I remember it, because I was never inside)
- The Corona Tavern (live rock bar)
- Duran Duran at Convention Inn South, Motley Crue at the Sheraton on 7th, James Brown at Scandals (I was so close I was resting my elbows on the stage), Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, and other blues legends at the Ambassador
- seeing the 5th Avenue Allstars, Powerglide, Buckeye, and other great cabaret bands at the Convention West, where Papa Ghermezian personally checked everyone's ticket/stamp to make sure we all paid
- David Foster and the remarkably gifted Adrian Chornowol playing piano in lounges (we all know where David Foster is now. Adrian's story is unfortunately somewhat tragic - he became transgendered [a woman named Toby Dancer] and died in Toronto of a heroin overdose a few years ago, just as it seemed he was starting to feel alive again. He is the inspiration for the "Toby's Law", put forth by the federal NDP's)
- the "Beef Shack" in North Glenora. It was the city hockey shack, a log cabin style building. Every year they painted it, and every year, for more than a decade, someone spray painted the word "BEEF" in giant letters on the side of the building.
- Flashback (aka: the club)
- and finally (it still pisses me off a little), the Tegler Building, where my grandfather had his barber shop.
I remember arguing which was taller; the CN Tower, or the Chateau Lacombe~both were built approximately the same time.

The only 'Singer' I remember in Westmount was the Sewing Center; not the men's clothing store, unless Henry opened a store in there later. I do remember Tip Top Tailors in that mall, though.

I was never in The Hovel on 109th, either, but do remember when it closed. The Edmonton Jounal showed a b&w photo of the 'Manwoman' mural on the wall in the front foyer.

The Tegler Building..I'm pist off about that one, too!! Dr, Bresdan had the 'most original' art deco office in there by the time it came down. Nearly everything inside was original, including the fixtures, furniture and old x-ray equipment when he set up practice in there in 1931, and remained that way until he retired.
Old 17-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #715
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenorarat View Post
...The only 'Singer' I remember in Westmount was the Sewing Center; not the men's clothing store, unless Henry opened a store in there later. I do remember Tip Top Tailors in that mall, though...
Yeah, there was a Henry Singer in there for a little while. I remember buying some great paisley flares during a fire sale they had. Westmount Mall used to be where a lot of the wealthy people shopped. I worked for Woodwards Food Floors in the parcel pick up loading groceries into cars, and people like Mrs Poole (Poole Construction) were regulars. One customer came regularly driving a Bentley.

Times sure have changed for Westmount.

Last edited by Jimbo; 10-09-2008 at 11:05 AM..
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #716
glenorarat

[QUOTE=Jimbo;90050]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenorarat;90021
...The only 'Singer' I remember in Westmount was the Sewing Center; not the men's clothing store, unless Henry opened a store in there later. I do remember Tip Top Tailors in that mall, though...
[/quote

Yeah, there was a Henry Singer in there for a little while. I remember buying some great paisley flares during a fire sale they had. Westmount Mall used to be where a lot of the wealthy people shopped. I worked for Woodwards Food Floors in the parcel pick up loading groceries into cars, and people like Mrs Poole (Poole Construction) were regulars. One customer came regularly driving a Bentley.

Times sure have changed for Westmount.
My mom ALWAYS shopped at that Woodwards "Famous Food Floor" at Westmount, every Friday we went there when she got home from work! And when she was done, drove in that special
lane reserved for Parcel 'Mix-Up'! At the time she drove a light blue '60 Pontiac 4 door. Later, she got a dark blue '69 Fairlane; both 4 door sedans. Was that Bentley dark gray in color?
There was one in the neighborhood, around a 1962 model, and the owner no doubt bought groceries from Woodwards. Remember, they had the best meat, produce, and bakery of all the grocery chains in Edmonton at the time!!

Last edited by glenorarat; 18-03-2008 at 08:39 AM..
Old 01-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #717
Crash
First One is Always Free

Good Morning, Good Morning
It's a Wes Montgomery morning
Here to wake you with a smile
and get you up on time........
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #718
glenorarat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Good Morning, Good Morning
It's a Wes Montgomery morning
Here to wake you with a smile
and get you up on time........
and a song or two later.......(to the Skater's Waltz..)

SNORT, SNORT, SNORT, SNA-SNORT, SNORT, SNORT! SNORT, SNA-SNORT, SNA-SNORT
SNORT, SNORT!!!........
Old 04-04-2008, 12:32 AM   #719
odeon
First One is Always Free

Default More I remembers

I remember: (Sorry for possible repeats)

The blacklight poster room in Trident Imports at the Boardwalk.

That big Texas bill on the wall in Johnston’s Café on Jasper Avenue.

The bear with straw stuffing coming out of it mounted on top of the pawn shop across from the New Edmonton hotel on 97 street & the skulls in window of Slutker’s furs -- always reminded me of Edmonton still being in the Klondike.

That York boat in Walterdale near John’s Walters buildings before going on the two-way 105st bridge.

High level bridge also two way with the Canadian Pacific sign on Jasper Avenue as the train went to the yellow CP station on 109st.

The horseshoe and Buffalo sign for Calgary where the Brick is.

Prudhome’s shopping centre 104st and 79 ave with a big statue of Sourdough Sam.

That funky neon ceiling in the Pig and Whistle on Jasper Avenue.

Big old 191? calendars in the window of Uncle Ben’s sporting goods downtown.

Going to see the Herman’s Hermits at Gardens and The Who was the backup band.

Mandarin Gardens Chinese Restaurant in disrepair with the big dragon sign.

The old Teddy’s in a white building with a screen door.

Harvey’s Corned Beef, Gary’s Stamp and Coin and Funland Arcade next to the Army surplus store.

Watching the Oil Kings and Flin Flon Bombers in playoff final at the Gardens when they beat us – they had Bobby Clarke and Reg Leech.

When Boston pizza tasted pretty good at the Corona.

Chateau Lacombe as ultramodern.

Looking at the infamous “Fortress” as mentioned in Maclean’s and W5 and featured in the Edmonton Sun.

Zumburger in Southgate.

Miles for Millions.

Redbaron flea market.

The creaky floors in Mike’s News and Hub Cigar.

Fishing reels for ½ price upstairs in W.W. Arcade.

Historical Exhibits Building with some pretty interesting stuff they could use

at Ft. Edmonton Park

Canucks playing the Minnesota Northstars in a exhibition game in Edmonton.

The Varscona theatre playing one movie like Sound of Music for too long

Kids lined up a couple of blocks on Jasper Avenue to see the Junglebook at the Strand?

Taking the S3,S2,S9 using green bus tickets.

The TV show “Here come the Seventies” and none of that seemed to ever happen.

Clockwork orange banned and now you can see it on TV

How come those kids living in the HBC fort on the TV show Forest Rangers never went to school but we did.

Nothing big open on Sundays.

Are all the recommended restaurants listed in the Edmonton Access Catalogue by Treefrog press gone?

The premier giving sermons on the radio Sunday morning.
odeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #720
happyinnanaimo
First One is Always Free

I remember jumping on the trampolines at Westmount Mall.
I remember Kids' Bids, the TV show where kids brought in Old Dutch potato chip bags to bid on toys.
I remember "Kiddies on Camera." My class performed on that show in 1967, singing "Canada...one little, two little, three Canadians."
I remember the Silverwoods milkman delivering our milk (and telling us to watch his son play the accordian on the Kiddies on Camera show).
I remember Harry Farmer, the star of "Harry Farmer's Lunchbox", playing the organ on CFRN (my grandma never missed it).
I remember going to the CFRN television station and meeting Muskeg the Moose.
I remember the Laura Lindsay Show, an afternoon cooking and talk show.
I remember staying home from school when I was sick, and lying on the couch watching old movies on the Siesta Cinema show (which followed "Laura Lindsay".
I remember buying 45's at Woolworth's and Kresges.
I remember the green milkshake machines at Woolworths and the Met.
I remember the great hotdogs with toasted buns at Zellers downtown.
I remember the Head shop near the library downtown.
I remember when the downtown library was built in 1966 and called "The Centennial" library.
I remember the Tate family music store (family band called "The Tatums"
I remember a teen club called "Middle Earth" in the basement of a church downtown.
I remember going bowling on Whyte Avenue and then eating fried rice at Lee's restaurant.
I remember the Tuck shop near the U of A.
I remember Zorba's restaurant near the U of A (late called Smith and Bacchus)
I remember some of the old bands: The Privilege (with Andy Crawchuk and Mel Deiken), Wes Dakus and the Rebels, Barry Allan, Warp Factor, Every Man's Tonto, Hai, Pickins.
I remember standing in line for donuts at the National Bakery across from the Bay (boy, that place smelled good).
I remember the Kinsmen rock band competitions at the Jubilee Auditorium.
I remember buying makeup and false fingernails at Woolworths (a great selection of cheap cosmetics).
I remember hanging out at the new Centennial libary listening to records and putting money in the vending machine for refreshments.
I remember Benny Benjamin (a music promotor).
I remember the mukluk mardi gras.
I remember Texaco and Pacific 66 gas stations.
I remember Kiwana's "apple day", when people dressed in clown costumes and sold apples.
I remember walking 25 miles in the miles for millions walk.
I remember the bowling alley next to Woolworth's downtown.
I remember Welsh's saddlery downtown and the pawn shops on 101st street.
I remember the Edmonton Public Market next to the Army and Navy downtown.
I remember shopping for red bell bottoms jeans at the Jean Joint in an alley off 101st street.
I remember practicing all the PE events in school to get your Bronz, Silver, or Gold crests with the Centennial symbol on them in 1967.

I remember the Moe Marshall band at the Old Bailey, with Tommy Doran on drums.
I remember the Tommy Banks show.
I remember the Noon Show with Ed Kay, Eric Neville, Clarence Ploof, and Elsie (singing with those horn rimmed glasses). I remember Ed and Eric's crazy hats and their awkward banter.
I remember Nestor Pestor (?) and his Ukrainian comedy.
I remember the Peddle Pushers, and the Peddle Pusher Parade (I was in it)
I remember Shaky's Pizza on 124th street.
I remember seeing my sister off at the CN Tower train station on her way to Expo 67 in Montreal.
I remember seeing The Eagles warm up Jethro Tull .
I remember going to concerts at the Kinsman Field house and Edmonton Gardens.
I remember scary American carnies at the Edmonton exhibition (Royal American Shows) before we got the Canadian guys from Toronto.
I remember all the teenagers hanging around wearing John Lennon caps at the malt bar at the Bay.
I remember girls screaming in the theatres during the showing of "A Hard Day's Night."
I remember "London", the Littlest Hobo dog performing at Westmount mall.
I remember going to Westmount to meet the lady from "Romper Room".
I remember ordering the combo plate for two at the "Italian Gardens" restaurant.
I remember hearing various Klondike Kates belt out "Roll Out the Barrel" at the clubs around town.
I remember waiting for the bus outside "Reed's China" (and going inside occasionally to warm up).
I remember eating Christmas dinner at the King Edward Hotel downtown.
happyinnanaimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #721
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

Palace of Sweets (sorry, if duplicated)
Old 27-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #722
davidnorwoodink
Addicted to C2E

'happyinnanaimo' brings back lots of memories.
Old 27-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #723
Crash
First One is Always Free

HappyinNanimo,

You must remember the "Centenial Train" when it came to the CN tower in 1967.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #724
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Whatever happened to Peter Hill? He had his own show on either CBC or A-Channel. And up until a couple of years ago, I constantly used to see him wandering around everywhere - downtown, river valley, Whyte Ave.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #725
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
Whatever happened to Peter Hill? He had his own show on either CBC or A-Channel. And up until a couple of years ago, I constantly used to see him wandering around everywhere - downtown, river valley, Whyte Ave.
A Google search yielded this on Peter Hill............

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=9304015
Old 08-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #726
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

Wow just stumbled on this thread brings back many pleasent memories. I was born 7 raised in Edmonton and lived there until 1972 when I moved to Calgary to join the police force. I am now retired and live in Calgary. grew up in several areas in edmonton, Including Park Plaza 104 st & 118 Ave. behind shopping centee. I still remember them building that mall wenbt to Oliver school and Victoria Composite High School graduated in 1970. This thread brought back so many memories I don't know where to begin first job delivering telegrams for$1.00 an hour worked out of CN Tower Rode aRaleigh 3speed bicyle even during the winter still remember the frost bite. My dad worked for city as a crane operator and remember him driving me around to variious sites in Edmonton. Like to hear from some of you
cmcharlesmillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #727
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

QUOTE:"I remember scary American carnies at the Edmonton exhibition (Royal American Shows) before we got the Canadian guys from Toronto."

END QUOTE.

I believe the new guys were called Conklin, were they not? Are they still the ones doing the Ex? I haven't gone for decades. One of the last times I went, I saw an honest-to-God "fat man" putting himself on display, with what I think were his wife and kid helping to run the tent. This was in the 80s some time, and I doubt that anything like that would fly today.

Also: I have vague memories of Royal American Shows having to quit Edmonton in the 1970s because of some sort of controversy. Does anyone remember this, and what the controversy might have been?
Old 11-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #728
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

Ah, just did a Google...

"The changing world and the changing times have now caught up with Royal American Shows. Competition among Carnivals led to bidding for the most profitable spots, which led to the changing of it's routes now instead of 200 miles the show might have to travel 500 miles. Then things grew worse the carnival lost its Canadian route in 1977 during a tax evasion scandal that led to Carl Sedlmayr's arrest. Although Carl Jr. was fully exonerated, Royal American was now locked out of Canada."

http://tinyurl.com/5e8p8a
Old 11-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #729
24karat
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by overoceans View Post

Also: I have vague memories of Royal American Shows having to quit Edmonton in the 1970s because of some sort of controversy. Does anyone remember this, and what the controversy might have been?
Dishonest games of chance, if I recall correctly. For example the game where there are milk bottles on a table and people would throw baseballs at them in an attempt to knock all of the bottles off the table. It was next to impossible to win, though, because a couple of the bottles were filled with concrete.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #730
AlleyKat
First One is Always Free

I remember Goose Loonies bar (which used to be Garfield's)
I remember the waving brick man on top of the Brick downtown
AlleyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #731
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

Hi back again. As to Royal American shows yes it was tax evasion problems and they were run out of Canada. We had them in Calgary as well. I am pretty sure it was Conklin that took over.So many memmories so little time.My brother & I were and still are car crazy and used to live on 102 ave and116 st when there were still single dwelling houses there. We used to make the rounds of the dealerships of the day and collect car brosheres we would drag them home . I remember my mom throwing them out and we would go and get some more. I only wish I still had some of those catalogs as they a worth there weight in gold. My brother restored a 69 Chrysler 300 and wanted a catalog of his car, it cost him $40.00 for one, and to think we used to pick them up by the truck load. Remember most of the dealership were on Jasper Ave. Crosstown Motors on Jasper x 116, Edmonton Motors, Devonian Motors, Jenner, Waterloo,Healy,& Miller Motors.I miss the old hobby shops Northern Hobbies 118Ave x124 st, Moro Craft Wyhte Avex 109 st. Round up sales on Calgary trail
Old 12-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #732
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

The Devonian (?) dealership which is now Earls tin pan pong once sold Triumph Sports Cars! Once saw a B+W photo of a row of Tr's angled onto jasper
Old 13-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #733
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

Blueline. The Devonian Motors dealership I remember was on Jasper Ave x113 st and they sold American Motors I thik I know the dealership you are talking about I don,t remember the name of it but it sold Triumphs & other English cars was located at Jasper & 121 st I do beleive there is an Earls located there now. I remember there being a Fullers there as well with god awful hot pink & purple seats and decor.Is there achance any readers out there might have vintage photos of Edmonton Police Service police cruisers as I build model police cruisers I would like to hear from you if you do
Old 14-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #734
Kronic

I remember that cool looking Royalite gas station waaaaay out there on Calgary Trail

44 Chicken where are you?

WW Arcade, Army & Navy downtown

The Red Baron on 96st

The original Rock Circus

Ched Bicycle Picnic at Rundle Park to see Streetheart & Toronto (among others)

A&W with those cool flashing light menus & before you could eat inside (unless you wanted to stand up)

Popcorn Playhouse.... when I went the regular guy was sick and the Kiddies on Camera dude filled in.......He was the lamest Muskeg you ever heard....LOL

Seeing AC/DC for the first time after Bon Scott and seeing some guy smashing a huge bell with a wooden hammer

The 5th Street hill had a traffic circle at the bottom

All of the other traffic circles on St Albert Trail (111, 118 Ave)

Cameron Iron Works on 51 Ave

Holy smokes 7 more pages? probably some doubles here.....Oh well I typed them

....the Kronic
Kronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #735
Escondido

1. 421-1111 told you the time
2. Londonderry Mall Reno
3. Woolco had Slush Puppies
4. Likety Split Ice Cream
5. CJCA became a Christian Radio Station and had bus bench ads all over the city
6. Harvest Moon Festivals at NABC, Clarke Stadium, Hawrelak Park and Stony Plain
7. The Castle Downs Water Spray Park first opened
8. Oh yah, How could I forget the Talking Yellow Pages!!

Last edited by Escondido; 14-08-2008 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: addition
Escondido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #736
glenorarat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcharlesmillar View Post
Blueline. The Devonian Motors dealership I remember was on Jasper Ave x113 st and they sold American Motors I thik I know the dealership you are talking about I don,t remember the name of it but it sold Triumphs & other English cars was located at Jasper & 121 st I do beleive there is an Earls located there now. I remember there being a Fullers there as well with god awful hot pink & purple seats and decor.Is there achance any readers out there might have vintage photos of Edmonton Police Service police cruisers as I build model police cruisers I would like to hear from you if you do
Devonian Motors was on the corner of Jasper & 114th Street. They handled AMC, Volvo, and Fiat, along with Lancia and Ferrari not long after due to Fiat's ties to them. I remember a full-page ad in the Edmonton Jounal with the proprietor of Devonian Motors, Randy Cable, thanking the Edmonton City Police for puchasing a huge quantity of 1974 AMC Matadors for police service.
On the northeast corner of Jasper & 113th was Miller Motors "Big Top" Used Cars. (They also kept new-car Plymouth brochures there, and saved me the walk to their new car location on 100th & 104th.) On the northwest corner was Truline Motors that sold Renaults for a time. The Toyota dealer opened in 1971 on Jasper Avenue & 121st, which was formerly Dickson's Trailer Sales. It was there until 1975 when the moved to Kingsway, and changed their name to Kingsway Toyota. Not long after, the place became a Honda dealer (West End Honda). The British car dealership may have come later. G.B. Motors on 109th at the south end of the rat-hole was the British Motor Corp./British Leyland dealers.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #737
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

I remember the police
atadiors in use from 71 to 78 they were a solid pale yellow with the single roto ray light. Very good fast cars lot of agencies used them most notable the LAPD if you remember Adam-12. The british dealership bon jasper x 121 was in the late 60s as i left Edmonton in early 72. I also remember the dealer on 109 st by the rat hole. One of my fondest memories and one of the reasons I chose police work was been hired to clean and paint the new RCMP headquarters on 109 st x Kingsway I beleive that was in 67 or 68. Used to be Esso regional offices before that Old RCMP hq was in a old brick building that looked like a castle on the top of Grerson Hill
Old 14-08-2008, 11:21 PM   #738
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Devonian Motors was on the corner of Jasper & 114th Street. They handled AMC, Volvo, and Fiat, along with Lancia and Ferrari not long after due to Fiat's ties to them.
Is this the same Devonian Motors as the Hyundai dealership? Since then, I think they changed the name to West Edmonton Hyundai.
Old 15-08-2008, 12:03 AM   #739
glenorarat

Quote:
Quote:
Devonian Motors was on the corner of Jasper & 114th Street. They handled AMC, Volvo, and Fiat, along with Lancia and Ferrari not long after due to Fiat's ties to them.
Is this the same Devonian Motors as the Hyundai dealership? Since then, I think they changed the name to West Edmonton Hyundai.
I would suspect it may have ties to the origianal Devonian Motors, which was owned by Randy Cable. He sold it to one of Charles Allard's companies in 1977 or so, and started Motor Village Group. Who the dealership and the Devonian name belongs to currently, I have no idea. Does Allarcom still have any auto dealerships in their portfolio?

Last edited by glenorarat; 15-08-2008 at 12:07 AM..
Old 15-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #740
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

I remember that all those Edmonton Toyota dealers used to do ads together in the 80s. In one of them, they were all singing together, conducted by Austin Willis, who is probably best known as the guy Goldfinger beats at cards. After the song was over, Willis turned to the camera and said "What can I say?"

Would anyone happen to know if Austin Willis actually lived in Edmonton? I recall him doing a few cheaply made Canadian TV shows in the 70s.
Old 15-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #741
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

Remember the old Avenue Theatre went to movies for $.25 Dreamland anything but wonder how building managed to stay on top of that hill, floors so sticky that just about ripped the soles off of those black & white high tops. Little did we know how full of holes that hillside was due to coal mines. I understand when they built the convention centre whole meeting rooms were ready made just line caveran with concrete and viola instant meeting room. I joined the air cadets in 66 served 2 1/2 years 504 squadron really enjoyed my stay there. was in honour guard during Rememberance Day ceramonies presented wreath to Lt.Gov Grant MacEwan to lay at monument. Biggest honour in my life. RememberMr MacEwan in Miles For Millions marches could & did out walk us kids. Met him again in mid 90s here in Calgary was doing point duty as a police officer at a firemans funeral, he actually remembered me by name fantastic man
Old 16-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #742
soycd
Addicted to C2E

^^ Austin Willis. Now, there's a name I haven't heard in years!
soycd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #743
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by soycd View Post
^^ Austin Willis. Now, there's a name I haven't heard in years!
Yeah, even in his day, he seemed to be one of those borderline celebrity types.

http://tinyurl.com/6nkp84

Going by his IMDB page, Goldfinger was definitely the high point of his visibility, though he did turn up in The Boston Strangler a few years later(not a bad film, as I recall). I guess most Canadians would know him by name as the host of This Is The Law.
Old 29-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #744
Ole Timer

I remember:

Attending Light Shows with various local bands like Graeme and the Waifers at the Southside Arena (beside Scona High School) and walking home to Westmount in the early hours because there was no bus service

Going for pizza and non alcohol apple cider at Guiseppi's in the basement of a building on 109 St just north of Whyte Avenue - listening to live folk singers on weekends

Going to Zorbas in the basement of a building on 112 St and 87 avenue and seeing local bands and others like the Vanilla Fudge, jamming with local musicians after their concerts at the Kinsmen Field House

Hanging out at the Forum (a teenage nightclub just north of the Empire Building on 101 St.)

Not having a telephone nor a television and getting the first little black and white tv and watching CFRN when it was still a CBC station - we used to watch the 3 Stooges every day at lunch time, I think it was from 12:30 to 1 in the afternoon

The Led Zepplin being the opening act for the Vanilla Fudge at the Kinsmen Field House

Cream playing at the old Sales Pavilion

As kids riding our bikes up 127 street past Speedway Park to the Sturgeon River and goofing around all day

Going out to Lakeview for teen dances and listening to the Rebels, Nomads, Lords, Little Davey and Drastiks, Chessmen

Attending one of the first rock shows at the Jubilee Auditorium featuring James and the Bondsmen

Going to the Room at the Top at the SUB and listening to jazz on Sunday nights

As a kid, going to the Sahara theatre, northwest corner 115 ave and Groat road, with 25 cents on many saturday mornings and watching cartoons, new clips, main feature, and a segment of a serial movie that took about 5 to 6 sessions from start to finish.

The big grassy field that eventually became Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre

When the Citadel Theatre was on 102 Street
Ole Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #745
richardW
Addicted to C2E

I remember when taking the bus was 1 dollar. then it got changed to 1 dollar and 5 cents and everyone was like WTF? where am i gonna get a nickel from?
richardW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #746
soycd
Addicted to C2E

Rest and Read the Journal

...white lettering (in Old English typeface?) on the green bus stop benches.
Old 29-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #747
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

Default remember when

Ah yes the old Sahara, I used to attend the Christmas Party for children of employees of the City of Edmonton sometimes it was at the Sahara or else the Rialto downtown
My parents managed the apartment complex on 118 ave & 127 st.When I was in 504 squadron Air Cadets I was in the honour guard at the dedication of the F-86 Sabre jet at the 700 wing of the Royal Canadian Air Force building on Kingsway Ave and if memory serves me right about 118 st.I remember when a light aircraft landed short & crashed in the field where Kingsway garden Mall is now located.Anyone remember when anti war protesters blew up some aircraft at the old Northwest Industries hangers around where the current NAIT is now? I beleive a security guard was killed in that action. In 72 I became a security officer and my first posting was in that very hanger ,talk about spooky.
Old 29-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #748
24karat
Addicted to C2E

I remember when there was an air show at City Center Airport.
Old 29-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #749
sassychx
First One is Always Free

[COLOR=yellowgreen]I remember when my mom and dad took us to A&W on the corner of 118 ave and I think 81street. They hung the tray on your window and the girls wore roller skates. They also had the cool change holders on them. It seems like eons ago lol[/COLOR]
Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #750
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

I remember walking to school in my south side neightbourhood one morning and seeing that one of the skyscrapers under construction downtown was burning. I confess that it looked sort of cool from a distance.

The fire turned out to be minor, and the building was eventually completed. But I've often wondered which building it was. This was the mid-to-late 70s some time. Could it have been the Principal Building under construction?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #751
24karat
Addicted to C2E

I remember glass bricks in the sidewalks downtown. There was a downstairs cafeteria called
"American Dairy Lunch" and there were tables under the sidewalk. You could see the shadows of people walking above you. I saw glass sidewalk bricks in Europe recently.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #752
bpeters
Addicted to C2E

Default whatever happened....?

Buying Atari games from the Consumers Distributing catalog

Whatever happened to 'Consumers Distributing'? They were the rage when I was a young teen. anyone?
bpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #753
Ole Timer

Consumers Distributing was another of those companies that went out of business in the mid eighties mini recession due to high interest rates and poor economic situation at the time. They also sold Coleco Vision "Adam" computers which connected to televisions as well as playing Donkey Kong and other games. Adam could also do word processing and save files on cassettes similar to the audio cassettes.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #754
bpeters
Addicted to C2E

thanks oletimer, I thought they got swallowed by a current operation. I remember when a location opened up, it was a big deal to small town folk like me.
bpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 AM   #755
PJC
Addicted to C2E

How about Saveco Stores? There were two of them, one at 142 Street and 107 Avenue and the downtown store which I believe was located where the Oil City Roadhouse is now.

It was a weird combination of electronics and sporting goods. A great place to buy a baseball glove and a Nazareth 8-track. No clothing though so it wasn't a full-on department store. It was kind of like Consumers Distributing because it had discounted prices too. I think they also had toys to sell.

They had a full range of stereo equipment. Really cheap stuff but also high end products like Onkyo. It became a much more popular brand later.

I killed many a Saturday afternoon browsing in there or stopping in on my way home from Shep. A very "only in Edmonton" experience. I was never in the downtown location though and I think it closed first.

Last edited by PJC; 10-09-2008 at 01:32 AM..
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:37 AM   #756
Kronic

I remember Acme Novelty

...the Kronic
Old 10-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #757
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

do you remember the annual firecracker and works sale ?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #758
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

Default Remember when

Anyone remember the old armed forces married quarters on Princess Elizebeth Ave., I went to Princess Anne Elementary in grade 1 and still remember going over to a friends house in this complex. i had to use the phone, it had no dial, you had to go through an operator to get an outside line. Must have been a cold war thing. I also remember the Cuban Missle Crisis, the air raid sirens would go off every evening. My mother was a British war bride and these sirens would absolutely freak her out.I remember as a gradeb six student at McKay Avenue on 98 ave x 105 st. just before 105 st went down the hill. The principal was Mr Kuhl I remember when President Kennedy was assinnated, and when he broke the news to the students. Kennedy was my hero in those days, I used to live in the river valley below the school. I was so broke up I took the short cut across the overpass connecting the Palisades Apartments on the 5th or 6th floor went down the elevator and out the main door. I was glued to the tv for the remainder of the weekend
Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #759
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

Anyone else remember the ALBERTA Oilers? I still have an embroidered patch somewhere.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #760
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

I remember watching Spokane TV, and what seemed like sort of tacky, smalltown adverstising. I'd imagine you can still see TV from Spokane, but it would probably be less noticable in the multichannel cable universe.

In fairness, a lot of people might think that Edmonton's advertising seems tacky and smalltown. Some highlights from Spokane TV advertising...

Angelo's For Flowers

Godfather's Pizza The Pizza You Can't Refuse

Numerous ads referencing a street called the Sprague

I also remember that the mayor of Spokane rode in the Klondike Parade one year. I wonder if he was just invited because the two cities get each other's TV?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #761
newfangled
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Timer View Post
Consumers Distributing was another of those companies that went out of business in the mid eighties mini recession due to high interest rates and poor economic situation at the time.
Consumers Distributing was open well into the 90's. The Northtown one was definitely there as late as '95, and probably even '96. It's high point was in the mid eighties mini recession.

(and from wikipedia, the bankruptcy was in 1997)
newfangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #762
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

Anyone remember when a light aircraft crashed and imbedded itself in the south wall of the royal alec hospital? I remember one of the most enjoyable things for me was living near the legislature building and going down there to tour the room with the stuffed animals 9 no not the MLAS) They had a room full of examples of native animals all expertly preserved. I also used to live on 111 ave x 91 st & went to school at Norwood Elementary I remember my grade 4 teacher Mr Bosch who owned a 39 Ford we used to go to swimming lessons after school at Victoria Composite. Love to have that car today.I understand the Norwood area has really gone into the dumper today.I remember my dad always bought groceries from a German grocer named Crook who ran a store on 114 ave x95th street, last time I looked the building was still there but of coarse Mr Crook was long gone.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #763
Ole Timer

Yes, I remember that happening, but back in about 1960, a light aircraft had engine problems and ended up landing in the soccer field at Inglewood School - 115 Ave and 127 St. which was right across the street from where I grew up. I can remember in 1962 one of our grade seven teachers drove an Austin mini, some of the bigger boys at our school picked it up one day and put it between the fence post and school - it took him hours to get it out.

When we attended Junior High at Westmount, we had Mr. Prestash for a shop teacher. The types of projects that the students in our school made won awards at the old Edmonton Exposition (before K days) every year. We made tables, chairs, electric welders, go karts and the like from scratch. Whenever we would have a school assembly both he and Mr. Chester, our grade 9 English teacher would get standing ovations when they entered the gym.

Wow, those were the good old days - life was so much simpler then
Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #764
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

Default royal alec

The plane accident I am refering to occured in the mid 70s on the neww Rioyal Alec, the incident you were refering to would most likely have hit the old Alec which is today the Glenrose Auxilary. I also remember a light aircraft coming down in a field where today is the Kingsway Garden Mall.To the person remembering Spokane tv. Yes we get the same stations in Calgary, Sprague Ave is the miain drag in Spokane and I have driven it many times. Great shopping district especially the White Elephant , great sporting goods and hobby shop.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #765
Kronic

^ The light plane that crashed into the Royal Alex happened in 1981.

...the Kronic
Old 11-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #766
glenorarat

Quote:
Anyone remember when a light aircraft crashed and imbedded itself in the south wall of the royal alec hospital? I remember one of the most enjoyable things for me was living near the legislature building and going down there to tour the room with the stuffed animals 9 no not the MLAS) They had a room full of examples of native animals all expertly preserved. I also used to live on 111 ave x 91 st & went to school at Norwood Elementary I remember my grade 4 teacher Mr Bosch who owned a 39 Ford we used to go to swimming lessons after school at Victoria Composite. Love to have that car today.I understand the Norwood area has really gone into the dumper today.I remember my dad always bought groceries from a German grocer named Crook who ran a store on 114 ave x95th street, last time I looked the building was still there but of coarse Mr Crook was long gone.
There was a small grocery store on 115th and 92, called 'Stop'nShop'. It was a two-story white frame building. My grandmother bought her meat from there as Sam's on 90th Street half a block away did not have a butcher's licence.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #767
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
The plane accident I am refering to occured in the mid 70s on the neww Rioyal Alec, the incident you were refering to would most likely have hit the old Alec which is today the Glenrose Auxilary.
Yes, it was a Cessna that hit the Royal Alex in the mid-1970s. I remember an Edmonton Journal photographer got in trouble because he put on a hospital scrub to pretend he was staff so he can take photos of the plane.
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #768
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

I remember growing up in the Norwood area 111 th Ave x 91st, boy has that district gone into the dumper. I remember in the summer when the Eskimos had a game at the old Clarke Stadium and our street turned into a parking lot and you could hear the game all over the neighbourhood. Any one remember the old taxidermist shop on 111th Ave x 93st I used to enjoy visiting that shop to look at all nthe animals in the shop. I also remember the old horse drawn milkwagon making its rounds and I would feed the horse apples and in the summer chasing the wagon down the street to get chunks of ice from the driver.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #769
glenorarat

Quote:
I remember growing up in the Norwood area 111 th Ave x 91st, boy has that district gone into the dumper. I remember in the summer when the Eskimos had a game at the old Clarke Stadium and our street turned into a parking lot and you could hear the game all over the neighbourhood. Any one remember the old taxidermist shop on 111th Ave x 93st I used to enjoy visiting that shop to look at all nthe animals in the shop. I also remember the old horse drawn milkwagon making its rounds and I would feed the horse apples and in the summer chasing the wagon down the street to get chunks of ice from the driver.
About 40 years ago, our Scout group went to that taxidermy shop for a tour of the facility.
That area has been in the dumper for some time now. My grandparents lived on 91st Street & 113 Avenue thought it was going to "the dumper" in the early 1960's when they packed up and moved to Hardisty, a brand new neighborhood at the time. Turned out, they didn't care for the area at all. (I would suspect them being 'old' and having young families as neighbors was the reason), so after a little more than a year, they moved back to Norwood on 90 Street and 114th Avnue this time, to be with their friends again. In 1968, they moved to high rise apartment on 116 Street to eliminate themselves of having to shovel snow in winter, etc. They had to downsize considerably, even gitting rid of the big old barbeque, and replacing with an all-new sphere shaped "BALL-beque" that conveniently fit on the balcony!!

Last edited by glenorarat; 12-09-2008 at 01:58 PM..
Old 21-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #770
bulliver
Addicted to C2E

I remember riding up and down the 'movator' at Woolco in Heritage Mall.
I remember learning to drive on a one-and-a-half lane dirt track known as Ellerslie road. There was nothing around for miles but cows.
I remember that in the early 90s Edmonton had a fantastic live music scene including local talent such as The Imagineers, Unsound, Minstrels on Speed, The smalls, SNFU, Skin Barn, Furnace Maintenance, The Naked and the Dead, Grand Poobah etc...
I remember fantastic music venues like (The original) Sidetrack Cafe, The Bronx, Multi-purpose Rumpus Room.
I remember Bob Prodor's fantastic gig poster art.

PS: Bob has some of his gig posters up on his website: http://www.bobprodor.com/gigposters.htm
Old 21-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #771
24karat
Addicted to C2E

I remember the time Phillip Petit walked a tightwire 100 feet up across Churchill Square.
Old 21-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #772
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #773
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #774
ralph60
Addicted to C2E

I remember (very faintly) when the mouth of the Sturgeon River was a popular picnic site. It was destroyed when the CNR built the causeway across the Sturgeon valley.
ralph60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #775
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

ITV sign on...circa 1984
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=_2F4fPcUxss
Old 06-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #776
Kronic

The "too fast" sign on the Whitemud
Old 06-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #777
davidnorwoodink
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
Actually, I think it was 1974, not 1984....
Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #778
rod in edmonton
First One is Always Free

I remember when I could go to a matinee movie at the Dreamland for 35 cents; watching Godzilla movies and Beach Blanket Bingo with Annette Funicello come to mind.
I remember going to the Metropolitan for a burger and a Coke because it was cheaper than Zellers.
I remember when the old Greyhound Bus station cafeteria had mini jukebox players at each table.
I remember when Borden Park had a seven or eight seat rocking horse, but I don't remember the zoo.

I remember when Ben Mahs grocery was on the corner of 79 Street and 114 Ave; Ben had a counter at the back where he would cook breakfast for the ractrack workers.
I remember when I got 25 cent for allowance and buying a Jersey Milk chocolate bar for a dime.
I remember riding my bike up 127 street to Speedway Park to watch funny cars and NHRA AA fuelers race; the days of Big Daddy Don Garlits
I remember when you could get A & W Rootbeer in brown 1 gallon glass jugs.
I remember when those gleaming aluminum clade Airstream trailers rollED in and 'camped' overnight at the Exhibition grounds.
I remember when Zellers charged a dime to use their toilets.
I remember the Beverly dump ( now Rundle Park )
I remember those radio jingles
1.49 Day Woodwards, 1.49 Day Tuesday
426 5050 when your hungry call the Lydo ...freeee delivery.
I remember when I went to the dentist in the Tegler building
I remember when the Oil Kings played at the Edmonton Gardens.
I remember when the Medicine Hat Tigers would come to town and a little bit of hockey was played between the bloody fights.
I remember when Zane Feldman sat at all those OIl King games smoking his big cigars ... Vic Mah was close by too.
I remember when the Edmonton Exhibition hired the Rebels bike gang to beef up gate the security for a rock concert at the Edmonton Gardens; twas an unhappy night for the gate crashers that night.
I remember when the WHA Oilers games were played at the Edmonton Gardens.
I remember when Dave Ward worked for CJCA and would rail on about building the Omniplex; it never happened : (
I remember when I bought my first stereo at Millers Sound downtown.
I remember when I would go for lunch at Buffalo Bills on Kingsway
I remember when Franklins Pizza was on 111 Ave at 119 Street
I remember when there was a St. Huberts chicken on Stony Plain Rd.
I remember when Central Pentecostal Tabernacle was an interesting pyramid shape, and the Singing Christmas Tree was featured there every Christmas season.
rod in edmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #779
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

You probably also remember Uncle Ben's Sporting Goods.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #780
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

QUOTE: remember when the Edmonton Exhibition hired the Rebels bike gang to beef up gate the security for a rock concert at the Edmonton Gardens; twas an unhappy night for the gate crashers that night.

What was the deal with those guys anyway? I remember thinking that they were a regular criminal motorcycle gang like the Hells Angels, but then I don't remember anything in the media about them commiting crimes or anything.

So, like, were they real one-percenters, or just a bunch of guys who liked to race around on their choppers, or...?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #781
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

remember ched golden wheel
remember ched Bob McCoed cast of thousands
Charlie Brown on late night
anyone remember Chicken Man on CHED early morning i beleive 8:15 am
hes everywhere,hes everywhere!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #782
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
Yah your right. damn typo's
Old 07-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #783
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
remember ched golden wheel
remember ched Bob McCoed cast of thousands
Charlie Brown on late night
anyone remember Chicken Man on CHED early morning i beleive 8:15 am
hes everywhere,hes everywhere!
That would be Bob McCord on CHED.He went on to be the creator of Country giant radio CISN-FM.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #784
24karat
Addicted to C2E

I remember Duane Mundane and Debbie Drab
Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #785
soycd
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
You are correct. Also, that youtube clip is not from the first sign-on for ITV. You will notice that the music that is playing in the background (video of satellite and voice-over, "serving Canada, coast-to-coast...") is from, Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War of the Worlds. The album was released in 1978.

The real story.....

There were no colour bars. To begin, there was a simple ITV logo. Then, the first thing that aired was a Shell commercial. Following that, was the movie, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World". I remember it well.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #786
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

Sorry about the typos I meant Bob McCord. took high school typewriting coarse at Vic comp and refreasher coarse when i joined the police force You know the coarse type25 wpm with 26 mistakes
Old 24-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #787
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

I remember one of my all-time favorite local TV ads from the 70s. It was for 630 CHED and it featured two chimps in a parked car listening to Stairway To Heaven and doing the boyfriend/girlfriend make-out thing.
Old 26-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #788
kkozoriz
Addicted to C2E

I lived there from the time I was one until just before I turned seven. 10308 Princess Elizabeth Avenue. Don't recall having to go through an operator to make a call though. Up until about four years ago I even remembered our phone number there. This was 1961-67 so the old memory was working overtime to remember it as long as it did.

I recall the night there was a fire in a hanger at the Municipal Airport. I can't recall all the details but I seem to remember the CJCA Flying Tiger being damaged or perhaps pulled to safety.

The NAIT Annex was Simpsons Sears
The Dominion store by the traffic circle on 101 st.
The Dog and Suds at Kingsway & Princess Elizabeth

Quote:
Anyone remember the old armed forces married quarters on Princess Elizebeth Ave., I went to Princess Anne Elementary in grade 1 and still remember going over to a friends house in this complex. i had to use the phone, it had no dial, you had to go through an operator to get an outside line. Must have been a cold war thing. I also remember the Cuban Missle Crisis, the air raid sirens would go off every evening. My mother was a British war bride and these sirens would absolutely freak her out.I remember as a gradeb six student at McKay Avenue on 98 ave x 105 st. just before 105 st went down the hill. The principal was Mr Kuhl I remember when President Kennedy was assinnated, and when he broke the news to the students. Kennedy was my hero in those days, I used to live in the river valley below the school. I was so broke up I took the short cut across the overpass connecting the Palisades Apartments on the 5th or 6th floor went down the elevator and out the main door. I was glued to the tv for the remainder of the weekend
kkozoriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #789
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

It was actually a friends place on Princess Elizebeth, i Beleive the name was Brian Stewart if memories serves me right. I lived on 104st noth of 118 ave right across from Park Plaza Shops. I beleive when I lived there it was around 57-59. therefore they probably changed the phone system. i went to Princess Anne . I remember when they built the origanal sears then Simpsons-Sears that is now the Nait annex. The hanger you remember was where the transit barns are today. I remember the Dominion store it became a Fields and possibily a Saan store Across the street there was Loblaws
Old 26-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #790
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

the fire you remember was most likely the old national defense barricks left over from the war. They were made from tarpaper, very flammable and most of them met a firey end They were located where Nait and the transit barns are today.
Old 26-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #791
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

^ Is there a reason you need to put everything in bold???
Old 27-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #792
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I remember one of my all-time favorite local TV ads from the 70s. It was for 630 CHED and it featured two chimps in a parked car listening to Stairway To Heaven and doing the boyfriend/girlfriend make-out thing.
I can actually recall some of the dialogue from that ad. The dj announces herself as Lori Lancaster, and at one point the female monkey complains about the radio being on, and the male monkey says "But Casey, this is 630 CHED!!"

I can't guarantee that the female's name was Casey. That's what I remember, though.
Old 28-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #793
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Whatever happened to Laurie Lancaster? She had such a lovely voice.
Old 29-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #794
PJC
Addicted to C2E

She is actually at my condo in downtown Edmonton right now... SERIOUSLY.
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #795
JBear
Addicted to C2E

I remember there was no Millwoods Towne Centre, just beautiful trees. Then the construction workers hit a gas line but no one did anything about it.

My junior high school was in the middle of nowhere and we had to take a yellow school bus. Now it is adjacent to the AHD.

Malts.

I remember a dark stormy night, and looking up at the vacant hotel mcdonald and asking my mom if that was a witches house (castle).

Heritage mall was cool. Should've never torn it down.

THe old food court at southgate. So dark and made out of brick. That was pre 1997 as far as I know.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #796
rob9208
First One is Always Free

I remember Tastey Delight on 118th ave and approximatly 74 st., roughly where the coluseum LRT is now. For 25cents, you got this huge soft ice creme cone.....and Haywards lumber yard. We used to think it was a ghost town.. I remember when Londonderry mall first opened its doors back in the early 70's.They gave everyone these love bird buttons and they said everybody loves Londonderry Mall on them. The toy store that was accross from the food court was Toys & Wheels...I remember a centennial train making a stop in our city back in 1967......it was parked at the exhibition grounds and we stood in line with our dad for what seemed like hours to go through this train...it had different types of exhibits in it...one was a bunch of guys in bunk beds moaning and groaning..I was only 7 when I saw this...then one of the last cars had somekind of a medical theme to it, with pics of doctors doing operations, and the "canada" theme song was playing.....and while I'm on the subject of the Exhibition grounds, I remember waiting to hear the sounds of the railway crossing bells at the exhibition grounds in July....we would run to see if it was the Royal American Shows arriving to set up for K-days........some of the entertainers would have their heads sticking out of the windows, waving at us as the trains pulled in....I also remember the palace of sweets downtown......also the corner house cafeteria, which was located where one of the LRT stations is now, on 101 st and Jasper ave...you had to go down this long staircase to get to the restaurant...it was interesting....Also interesting was Ciro's on Jasper ave....we would go there and have our teacups read....it had alot of atmosphere..and the food was acutally pretty good...I remember how good Woodwards bakery was...Mom would bring home these delicious pastries from there....their cakes and cupcakes were mouthwatering....
rob9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #797
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

re: Heritage Mall.

I only ever started hanging out there in its last days, because I was working in that godforsaken part of town(sorry, but I've always been a central/downtown kind of guy, and that place was just the boonies as far as I was concerned). What did they eventually put in its place?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #798
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

http://www.centurypark.ca/

First phase = two buildings, 180 suites total roughly, 7 stories, occupation of first building March roughly, second building May maybe?

Second phase = two buildings, 200 suites total roughly, 8 stories, occupation late 2009 or early 2010

Third phase = one building, uh around 120 suites I think, 18 stories? Don't quote me on size. Schedule TBD based on sales.

Fourth phase = possibly an office tower, nothing's been determined that I'm aware of

Future phases = lots, in all should be 2000-3000 condos in buildings of various size, up to 25 stories I believe, complete with large artificial lake, health club, commercial and so on.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #799
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

Thanks. Looks nice, as condos go.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #800
cmcharlesmillar
First One is Always Free

First thing let me apologize for posting in bold, I had no idea I was ding anything wrong. When did they and why did they tear down Heritage Mall. My brother and I used to go up to Edmonton for the vintage car shows in the late 80s and early 90s.I was shocked to see the mall gone