Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-topic/General Discussion Discussions not covered under the topics we currently have (a place to hang out).

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Off-topic/General Discussion

Old 26-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Brad S.
First One is Always Free

Default Gord Robson Suicide

Does anyone elst think that the lack of acknowledgement of this by CHED is pretty disgusting?

What was the deal with just firing him effective immediatley?

I know there's a thread on 880 switching over to I-News, but I think Gord's death deserves its own thread. It's a HUGE tragedy that, it seems to me, could've been easily avoided.

CHED looks like a monster right now. Sounds like a monster, I guess.

Thoughts?
Brad S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Who is Gord Robson?
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Default Who is Gord Robson

http://www.pugetsoundradio.com/forum...206193367/s-0/

AND

Comment from Bob Layton:
http://www.630ched.com/Blogs/BobLayt...ogEntryID=1817

Last edited by Barry N; 26-03-2008 at 12:54 PM..
Barry N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Ahhh, thanks. Well I have to say I don't really listen to radio all that much, but sorry to hear about his passing. My sympathies to his family and friends.
Old 26-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Brad S.
First One is Always Free

He was the drive home DJ on Cool 880, our Oldies station.

A couple of weeks ago, Cool 880 announced that they were switching their format, starting May 20th, to a news station. I-News.

I-News promises to be a rinky-dink operation featuring "citizen journalism". Basically, Rogers Radio was planning on starting a news station on the FM dial, but when 630 CHED and their overlords CORUS heard about this, they threw together I-News to scare them away, and defend their turf. On May 20th, minus one oldies station and add a piece of junk news station to our civic soundscape.

Gord Robson was fired, effective immediatley, and did not get a chance to say goodbye on air. He was replaced the day after the announcement regarding the format swtich was made.

About a week later, he was found dead in his apartment by members of the
EPD, and it was later reported that he died at his own hand (www.lastlinkontheleft.com).

It's a tragic story.
Old 26-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Cleisthenis
Partially Addicted to C2E

Wow, this is un-real. What a tragedy. Shame on you Corus.
Cleisthenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
edmonton99
First One is Always Free

Just throwing it out there -- but as far as I know there has been no cause of death released from the people investigating...so lets call it disrespectful to title the thread like this. Even if it does come back that he took his own life, come on. Have some damn respect.

Since when did lastlinkontheleft become a credible source of information? Personally, I think whoever wrote that stuff at the bottom of the "article" should be pretty ashamed. A lot of it is based on nothing but pure speculation.
edmonton99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
LindseyT
Addicted to C2E

So what exactly was CHED supposed to do? From reading the link Barry N posted (I looked around on that site....interesting stuff..thanks) CHED sent out a press release and posted something on their website.

People get fired all the time.
LindseyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
Brad S.
First One is Always Free

C'mon. That's pretty cruel. Sure, people get fired all the time, but there's usually some just cause. You have to do something pretty wild to get fired from a radio station after being in the biz for 40 years. He'd been in radio ALL his life. Fired effective immediatley like that. The radio business is a crazy one, and I'm sure he'd been layed off, or transfered before.

I mean, personally, as a listener, I would've like to hear him say goodbye or something. And from the sounds of it, he would've liked that as well.

It's pretty clear that his firing pushed him over the edge.

How is disrespectful? To me, it's more disrepectful that CORUS is just trying to spin this like he died peacefully or something, when the truth is that their decision, and the way they went about it, killed a man.

I'd sure have a tough time sleeping if I was Leslie Primeau or Doug Rutherford.
Old 26-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
Brad S.
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton99 View Post
Just throwing it out there -- but as far as I know there has been no cause of death released from the people investigating...so lets call it disrespectful to title the thread like this. Even if it does come back that he took his own life, come on. Have some damn respect.

Since when did lastlinkontheleft become a credible source of information? Personally, I think whoever wrote that stuff at the bottom of the "article" should be pretty ashamed. A lot of it is based on nothing but pure speculation.
Cops found him..they won't release the cause of death if it's suicide.

I don't know, sure it's easy to say I have no "respect" or anything, but if I didn't know that this had happened, and thought that Gord had just passed on or something, I'd feel even worse. His death was more than just passing on. People should know that, whether or not the media feels comfortable with it.
Old 26-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad S. View Post
Sure, people get fired all the time, but there's usually some just cause. You have to do something pretty wild to get fired from a radio station after being in the biz for 40 years. He'd been in radio ALL his life. Fired effective immediatley like that. The radio business is a crazy one, and I'm sure he'd been layed off, or transfered before.

That's not fair Brad. I understand you're upset about this, but Corus is in no way responsible for his death. The only person responsible for a suicide is the person who commits it. Think about it. It's cruel to blame anyone else for an individual's choice to end their life.

In many businesses, and certainly in radio, whenever someone is fired (let go, laid off, etc), it's common practice that it's immediate, to avoid any possible retribution. When someone's terminated, there is often resentment, and the last thing you'd want in radio, is to give some resentful soon to be ex employee a broadcast forum to air their opinions.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

I can't believe you people are debating this about a guy who is dead (whether he killed himself or not). It's a little twisted.
Old 26-03-2008, 11:13 PM   #13
LindseyT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Quote:
Sure, people get fired all the time, but there's usually some just cause. You have to do something pretty wild to get fired from a radio station after being in the biz for 40 years. He'd been in radio ALL his life. Fired effective immediatley like that. The radio business is a crazy one, and I'm sure he'd been layed off, or transfered before.

That's not fair Brad. I understand you're upset about this, but Corus is in no way responsible for his death. The only person responsible for a suicide is the person who commits it. Think about it. It's cruel to blame anyone else for an individual's choice to end their life.

In many businesses, and certainly in radio, whenever someone is fired (let go, laid off, etc), it's common practice that it's immediate, to avoid any possible retribution. When someone's terminated, there is often resentment, and the last thing you'd want in radio, is to give some resentful soon to be ex employee a broadcast forum to air their opinions.
I'd really like to know what the typical scenario is when it comes to firing somebody who works on air. I really doubt many are given a chance to say goodbye. Had he retired, or sent in a two weeks notice, it's an entirely different scenario.

And what good would it do to anybody if CHED went around publicising it was/could be a suicide?

They certainly aren't responsible for his actions and the only losers here are his family because people like me who have never heard of the guy, or those that new of him but didn't pay attention to this "saga" will remember him as the guy who killed himself. Which after reading his credentials is rather unfortunate.
Old 27-03-2008, 12:14 AM   #14
Brad S.
First One is Always Free

I guess what really got me about this was how totally uneccesary it was to get rid of Cool 880. CORUS is so territorial about their news that they're willing to throw together this stupid i-news thing, which if you read about, sounds really, really cheap, just to keep a competiting news voice out of edmonton. CHED is clearly a mouth piece for the Conservative gov't, and wields a suprising amount of power. It's a shame that this was the end result. I'm sure getting fired from 880 played a role, and it's not like 880 is getting phased out for something great. It's for this stupid "citizen journalism" station. It's just a shame you know? Totally useless.

His suicide, by the way, is NOT speculation. Trust me, just because you don't read about something in the papers, or hear about it on the radio, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

As of May 20th, Edmonton will be the only major North American city without an oldies station. A dubious distinction.
Old 27-03-2008, 03:07 AM   #15
Roquentin

Respects
Roquentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #16
LindseyT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
As of May 20th, Edmonton will be the only major North American city without an oldies station. A dubious distinction.

and 96.3 will likely change formats to fill that gap....
Old 27-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #17
Trenton
First One is Always Free

Quote:

His suicide, by the way, is NOT speculation. Trust me, just because you don't read about something in the papers, or hear about it on the radio, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
And just because you read something on the internet, doesn't mean it did happen.

Brad - you don't have the facts here. This thread demeans a great body of work by a great guy. However Gord died, its a big loss. Get an Ipod if you want to hear the music, or listen to JOE, but don't stick pins in Gord's family. Or the other people who are hurting right now.

After he left, he wrote a post on one of the broadcast boards, talking about Lesley Primeau and Doug Rutherford being great broadcasters, and how he wished the new station the best. So don't bring up this change like its on his behalf - because its a cause he would not have supported.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #18
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
... its a big loss. ...

After he left, he wrote a post on one of the broadcast boards, talking about Lesley Primeau and Doug Rutherford being great broadcasters, and how he wished the new station the best.
Thanks, Gord. RIP
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
Brad S.
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Quote:

And just because you read something on the internet, doesn't mean it did happen.

Brad - you don't have the facts here. This thread demeans a great body of work by a great guy. However Gord died, its a big loss. Get an Ipod if you want to hear the music, or listen to JOE, but don't stick pins in Gord's family. Or the other people who are hurting right now.

After he left, he wrote a post on one of the broadcast boards, talking about Lesley Primeau and Doug Rutherford being great broadcasters, and how he wished the new station the best. So don't bring up this change like its on his behalf - because its a cause he would not have supported.
I'm pretty sure he was just being polite. I've heard from many inside sources that Gord was "too nice" a guy to be in the biz, and that CORUS was a souless monster of a company. If you really don't think he killed himself, you're pretty naieve. Ignorance is bliss.
Whatever, enough. You're partly right.
This'll be the last you'll hear from me on the subject.

My heart goes out to his family. He'll be sorely missed.

I don't want an Ipod. I want local radio.
Old 28-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #20
glenorarat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
That is very well said. It is all too easy to place the blame on someone else. It was his choice to terminate his own life and no one elses. There are many others who have been in way worse situations than Gord who have found a solution to any problems or unforseen circumstances they may have had. The unfair 'victim' in his case is his last previous employer and no one should be holding them, or anyone else accountable.

Last edited by glenorarat; 28-03-2008 at 12:49 PM..
glenorarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #21
Trenton
First One is Always Free

Again, it's not known yet how he died. It might never be known for sure. Please don't attach that to his memory falsely.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote