Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roads and Civic Infrastructure Here’s where to discuss roads, sewer, water, power and other civic initiatives outside mass transit. Issues relating to any supporting structures (electric, cable, water, bridges, etc.) are part of this forum too.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Regional Issues > Roads and Civic Infrastructure

Old 20-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
mr.steevo
Partially Addicted to C2E

Default 98 Ave Traffic Circle

Hi,

What is the correct way to navigate this traffic circle? Recently I have had to take this circle twice a day and it feels like a gong show going through there. My route is from downtown along 97/98ave heading east through to Capilano Mall.

What I am doing is driving East in the left hand lane, put on my left indicator, yield, go into the left circle lane, then when I am leaving the circle to continue east on to 98 ave I indicate right and turn right. Is this incorrect?

The reason I ask is because I've been cut off, honked at, and nearly clipped the front end of some vehicles that I assumed were required to turn off the circle. I assume they are turning off the circle because they are in the right hand lane and have traveled the same distance as I have (from 97/98ave origin).

s.
mr.steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
sdimedru
Addicted to C2E

this is going to be a popular one......

I believe you're correct, you've got the right of way, unless the person to your right(in the outer lane) is ahead of you, and is still signalling left..... ie. it's my understanding that they could travel around the outside lane, around the entire circle..... if you're infront of that car though, when approaching the exit, they've got to yeild to you.

I'm sure someone will correct, and enlighten me.
Old 20-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
grish
Addicted to C2E

i think that as long as you stay in your left lane exiting the circle you're doing everything right. good luck explaining it to some drivers who "know what they are doing" no matter how they drive.
grish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
Hi,

What is the correct way to navigate this traffic circle? Recently I have had to take this circle twice a day and it feels like a gong show going through there. My route is from downtown along 97/98ave heading east through to Capilano Mall.

What I am doing is driving East in the left hand lane, put on my left indicator, yield, go into the left circle lane, then when I am leaving the circle to continue east on to 98 ave I indicate right and turn right. Is this incorrect?

The reason I ask is because I've been cut off, honked at, and nearly clipped the front end of some vehicles that I assumed were required to turn off the circle. I assume they are turning off the circle because they are in the right hand lane and have traveled the same distance as I have (from 97/98ave origin).

s.
Drivers in the outer lane are supposed to yield to those in the inner lane.
You are doing the correct thing.
Old 20-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Ins
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
Hi,

s.
It's my understanding you are doing the right thing. Outside lane is for those turning off at the first opportunity, inside lane is for eveyone else.

I go through the Bonnie Doon traffic circle everyday and it's the same situation. I wish the police would occasionally ticket at the traffic circles to keep people honest.
Ins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Carbon-14

Yup. From Alberta Basic Driver's Handbook 2008 page 72:

"In a traffic circle, the vehicle on the right must yield to the vehicle on the left. The driver on the left must activate the right signal and use caution when leaving the circle and crossing through the outside lane."

There's even a diagram explaining who must yield to who.
Carbon-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
mr.steevo

Hi,

So when I get T-boned by an ETS bus I'll be able to wave my Basic Drivers Handbook in her/his face.

Well, at least I know my insurance won't be paying for the damage.

Thank you for the link.

s.
mr.steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
newfangled
Addicted to C2E

The best explanation I've ever heard for a traffic circle it to just imagine it as a normal intersection.

If you want to go left (ie. 3/4 of the way around) then you need to be in the left lane.
If you want to go right (1/4) you need to be in the right lane.
If you want to go straight (1/2) you can be in either the right or left lane.

Now, that's not how the AMA taught me. The AMA said that if you were going right you used the right lane, but for anything else you used the left. I think that was just to simplify things for my young mind though. In practice, using the outside lane for a 1/2 turn works fine. Anything more than that causes problems though.
newfangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

I'm on the yield to drivers on the left team.

BUT, I'm not sure that's what the law says. I say visit your nearest community police station for the definitive answer.
McBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
incubo nero
First One is Always Free

If you are in the "inside" lane, i.e., the left lane, you always have right of way but with every driving situation, you have to take caution, e.g., a green light doesn't mean GO, it means Advance with Caution.
As for those on the outside lane, I have heard various interpretations but as I understand the driving regulation, if you are in the right or outside lane, you can scoot about the traffic circle all day long if you'd like, as long as you yield to those in the inside lane. There is no rule that says you have to turn off at the first exit, as I understand it anyway. Would be interesting to see an official interpretation.

Insisting on vehicles to line up in the left lane if proceeding to the 2nd exit seems like a good excuse to eliminate the traffice circle and just go with a standard intersection.

Last edited by incubo nero; 20-03-2008 at 01:11 PM..
incubo nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
Bluestreak

Try the Bonnie Doon one every day just south of that one. What a gong-show that is, with 5 different streets converging.

But yeah, right yields to left.
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
MylesC
Addicted to C2E

My take on traffice circles as I've taught many people:

1. Before you get to the circle, decide which lane you need to be in. All Edmonton circles have only two lanes. Choose the outside only if you're going 1 stop, two maximum. The points of the outside lane is to have quick one stop traffic flow.

2. At the approach, signal in - left. When you have cleared the exit before the one you're using, start signalling out. If you're a person that quickly signals out just before you exit, you're a ***** and I want to throw you off a moving bus.

3. Outside lane ALWAYS yeilds to inside lane.
Old 20-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
Kevin_Foster
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
The best explanation I've ever heard for a traffic circle it to just imagine it as a normal intersection.

If you want to go left (ie. 3/4 of the way around) then you need to be in the left lane.

Now, that's not how the AMA taught me. The AMA said that if you were going right you used the right lane, but for anything else you used the left. I think that was just to simplify things for my young mind though. In practice, using the outside lane for a 1/2 turn works fine. Anything more than that causes problems though.
Here is a crude example of how "I" thought it works, lets assume entering from the east:

Kevin_Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #14
davidnorwoodink
Addicted to C2E

You've got it right.
Old 20-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #15
Carbon-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
Try the Bonnie Doon one every day just south of that one. What a gong-show that is, with 5 different streets converging.

Just as an aside so people realize how good we have it here... There's a traffic circle in Damascus (nicked named the HFC. Holy _____ Circle) that has 7 entrances/exits. And traffic laws in Syria are backward: vehicles in the circle yield to vehicles that are entering. A pic from google earth (not during rushhour):

The tunnel underneath is a new addition.
Old 20-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #16
soycd
Addicted to C2E

Are you peeps positive that you can go 1/2 way around in the outside lane? I've never heard of that. Half way around (or more) and I take the inside lane.
soycd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
Carbon-14

You can. But its recommended that if you're not taking the first exit, that you enter the circle in the left lane. You can keep driving in the outside lane as long as you want but you ALWAYS yield to the inside.
Old 20-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
IGNITERS
Addicted to C2E

Default funny !

This is a great post ! Isn't this covered in the driving manual AND TEST!?
Anybody that doesn't know how to navagate a traffic circle should not have their licence or if they have managed to aquire one ....have it taken away until they do!
This is one of ,if not THE BEST way to keep 4 directions of traffic flowing without needless stoping,maybe the only way .
But this from drivers as I have mentioned that cant make a proper left or right turn into the correct lane without drifting accross the road signalless.
Good luck with your insurence on your eventual collision!I hope to GOD THAT YOU DONT KILL SOMEONE.
People when you realize that 3 thousand pounds plus of matter in motion of more than 50 km pr/hr is DEADLY DANGEROUS!
LEARN THE RULES before you put that car in gear!
Nobody can afford to lose their friends and family or at the very least the loss of their primary vehicle that helps them feed their family costing them thousands of dollars!due to driver neglegence and stupidity...YES STUPIDITY!
MORE ACCIDENTS HAPPEN TO PEOPLE THAT FREQUENTLY IGNORE THE BASIC RULES AND FUNCTIONS OF COMMON SENCE,OFTEN TAKING THE LIFE OF AN INNOCENT PERSON WITH THEM!
SOCIETY SHOULD HAVE O TOLERANCE FOR DRIVER NEGLEGENCE
IGNITERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #19
MylesC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by soycd View Post
Are you peeps positive that you can go 1/2 way around in the outside lane? I've never heard of that. Half way around (or more) and I take the inside lane.
There is no law that says that you can only go so far around the circle. Technically you could be a complete ***** and go around and around the outside lane.

However, I as I already stated, the reason behind the outside lane being only one exit is to provide a right turning free flow.
Old 20-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #20
kona
Addicted to C2E

Everyone is right, left has right of way and right yields. The right can go all the way around but common sense would dictate it should be used for turning right with the left for the other exits.

Traffic circles are great, it it really is a shame that North Americans are useless tools when it comes to using them.
kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #21
Darkwalker

..And by the way, you DO NOT change lanes in a traffic circle.
Old 21-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #22
mylilypad
First One is Always Free

Just for interests sake, I have a quote from "Edmonton - Secrets of the City" by Charlene Rooke regarding traffic circles:

"Noel Dant, a planner trained in England and hired in Edmonton in 1947, brought the idea of "rotaries" (better known today as traffic circles) to the Prairies. Originally, the circles were one canny way for the city to hold large tracts of land from development until a proper intersection was built. However, in theory the circles are an excellent way to handle volumes of traffic coming from four different directions. As they rely on natural gaps in traffic to allow even flow, traffic circles cease to work efficiently if traffic dominates from any one direction (or if some ***** decides to suddenly exit from the inside land of the circle)."
mylilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #23
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwalker View Post
Actually, you can do if it's safe to do so. Its not a solid line. It's not very smart to do it if theres other traffic in the circle though
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #24
Spill
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwalker View Post
Actually, you can do if it's safe to do so. Its not a solid line. It's not very smart to do it if theres other traffic in the circle though
The circle at 142 Street and 107 Avenue, however, has solid lines nowadays due in part, at least, to a notorious accident rate.
Spill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #25
Edmontonfan
Addicted to C2E

They have now put some small circles in on Main Blvd in Sherwood Park with lower curbs, it's amazing how many people seem to just drive right over the curbs in as close to a straight line as possible!
Old 22-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #26
microbus
Addicted to C2E

Kevin Foster has it right, and with the Bonnie Doon circle,
right lane for one or two exits, left lane for two or more exits.
If entering the circle from the left lane, you are not to turn out at the next exit.
And ETS buses have to use the right lane, because 9 times in 10 there's
either a bus stop in the circle, or as soon as the bus exits the circle.
Bonnie Doon has a bus stop in the circle, at the SE curve, and
a bus stop right after the circle NB on Connors Road.
And there are exceptions for ETS, and no cop will ever ticket an ETS bus
for going all the way around a circle in the right lane.
Old 22-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #27
kona
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbus View Post
And ETS buses have to use the right lane, because 9 times in 10 there's
either a bus stop in the circle, or as soon as the bus exits the circle.
Bonnie Doon has a bus stop in the circle, at the SE curve, and
a bus stop right after the circle NB on Connors Road.
And there are exceptions for ETS, and no cop will ever ticket an ETS bus
for going all the way around a circle in the right lane.
That is because it is not illegal! Even though, the right lane is suppose to yield both lanes are suppose to be paying attention. Also know as the "never argue with a bus rule"
kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 01:02 AM   #28
microbus
Addicted to C2E

LOL Kona... good rule
Old 25-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #29
Titanium48
Addicted to C2E

Edmonton traffic circles aren't so bad. Has anybody ever been to the new traffic circle at the intersection of highways 8 and 22 near Calgary? It has a very short radius and they put in a chicane just before it so you can't see what is going on until your just about to enter the circle. Thankfully its only one lane or it would be a complete disaster.
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #30
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

Quote:

I've driven through the circles on 142nd at 107 and 87 twice a day for virtually every day I've been driving a car. You're essentially right with your three guidelines above, but there's a caveat to using the outside (right) lane to go halfway around: if there's someone coming in the inside lane and you're about to enter the circle, you should let them pass by and not enter until they're past you. Or speed up so you're not cutting them off, if you're feeling saucy.

But otherwise, traffic circles are pretty simple if you understand which directions you can go in which lanes. The problems start to happen when one or two directions of traffic begin to dominate flow. The one on 87th avenue is a fantastic example. Imagine you're heading east down 87th and want to go visit the zoo. As others have said, it's normally best to be in the inside lane if you're going halfway around. This is an excellent lane to be in if you want to get in an accident in the above example, because 80% of the cars heading east in the right hand lane are going to go 3/4 of the way around the circle, and they sure as heck won't be yielding to you.

The opposite applies for heading south on 142nd. If you're in the outside lane and trying to get halfway around and don't yield, you'll be broadsided by someone in the inside lane going 1/4 of the way around.

As far as the 107th ave one goes, it functions fairly well considering the massive amount of traffic that it handles on a daily basis. I don't know if a conventional intersection would function any better in this location, or be any safer. Yes it has a lot of collisions, but given that directions of travel are never head-on versus each other, typically parallel, most accidents aren't very serious. Tons of rear ends from people looking left, seeing a gap, and advancing without realizing the person in front of them has decided they need the entire circle clear before they'll enter it.

As far as signalling in a circle goes, I always signal left while travelling inside the circle, and then immediately signal right as soon as I pass the exit before the one I'll be taking, giving advance notice to either someone beside me or someone wanting to enter the circle ahead of me of my intentions. This is of course antithetical to the ethos of driving in Edmonton, which is to keep everyone completely in the dark as to your intentions so as to ensure you arrive at your destination 3 seconds before them. I can deal with people not signalling left while in the circle, but not signalling when exiting should result in a fair beating. Signalling right when entering the circle prior to signalling left while travelling in the circle is a great way to confuse the heck out of everyone around you.

So like I said, there's some common sense guidelines to driving in a traffic circle in Edmonton, but each has it's own quirks given traffic flow patterns. Unfortunately traffic circles are a black hole of traffic enforcement, much like parking lots. Most of the time it's difficult if not impossible to find who is at fault for an accident, given how convoluted they are. I don't know why they aren't addressed more thoroughly in driver training programs, but I specifically remember being told at Ace Driving that they were NOT part of the curriculum and no test questions would be asked on them. They still went over them briefly, however.
raz0469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #31
jmart81

Bottom line, outside lanes in the circle yield to the inside lanes. That is the rule anywhere in the world basically. If you have been to places in Europe for example, you know that everyone wants to bend the rules in their favour. For example changing lanes in a circle so you dont have to turn your steering wheel as much.

I think circles are great as long as people know how to use them, which it seems that most don't except on this forum of course!
jmart81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #32
Swizzlerz

if you have trouble in edmontont what would you do in london???
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200..._at_night.html

Swizzlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #33
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

^ They're all going the wrong way around the circle!!! LOL

(I know... I know...)
Old 30-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #34
geordieinthecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzlerz View Post

they have traffic lights at the entrance of most traffic circles. so it wouldent be harder than a free flow one.

Last edited by Medwards; 30-09-2008 at 11:20 AM..
geordieinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #35
Swizzlerz

i noticed that after i posted :S i was hoping no one would notice :P
Old 30-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #36
sundance
Addicted to C2E

Yes as mentioned before you can go 1/2 way in both lanes, however the right hand lane has to yeild to the left hand lane

As mentioned before
1/4 way right hand lane only
1/2 left or right
3/4 left
More then that have fun doing 360s in the left lane

There is a previous post in another thread that describes this;
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...6&postcount=11

As for traffic lights, they really don't seem to work that well Groat/St Albert and 118th Ave is horrible for backups.
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #37
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

^ 118ave/St Albert trail would be worse for backups without the lights. The lights were put in as the small circle was no longer able to handle the volumes of traffic it was receiving. It would back up even more if there were no lights.
Old 30-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #38
deedub35
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
^ 118ave/St Albert trail would be worse for backups without the lights. The lights were put in as the small circle was no longer able to handle the volumes of traffic it was receiving. It would back up even more if there were no lights.
I wish they would just get rid of the circle there. It is possible. There used to be a traffic circle at Westmount Mall at 111 Avenue and St. Albert Trail they eliminated. Back in the Country Style Donut days. Anyone remember that?
deedub35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #39
Swizzlerz

why haven't they taken it out like the one on 111th and groat road???

i remember the tall pine trees in the center as you drove around ... pity there gone and its just asphalt now. does anyone know if they relocated the trees or took them out?
Old 30-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #40
sundance
Addicted to C2E

Maybe if they had traffic lights only on the entry like ramp metering lights on interstates, this may work (or may not).

Probably only one way to tell is to do an experiment, unless someone already has studied this.

I loved those pine trees, they probably cut them down as they may have been too big to move.
Old 30-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #41
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

Heck, 114th and Belgravia used to be a traffic circle.

I agree that the one at 118th and St. Albert Trail needs to be replaced, and soon.
Old 30-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #42
lightrail
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon-14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post

Just as an aside so people realize how good we have it here... There's a traffic circle in Damascus (nicked named the HFC. Holy _____ Circle) that has 7 entrances/exits. And traffic laws in Syria are backward: vehicles in the circle yield to vehicles that are entering. A pic from google earth (not during rushhour):

The tunnel underneath is a new addition.
That's the same as the French system, cars on the right have the right of way, so cars entering the traffic circle have right of way over cars in the circle. Cars on the outside of the circle have right of way over cars on the inside. Seems strange to North America, but very common in French countries.
Old 19-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #43
Commuter
First One is Always Free

I get the idea that if I'm on the outside I have to yield to those on the inside. But am I supposed to yield all day long? This afternoon I yielded to one vehicle on the inside lane while he exited, then proceeded, not knowing there was a vehicle behind him that wanted to exit. HONNNNNNKKKKKKK!
How am I supposed to know? Like I said, am I supposed to yield all day long? Maybe the guy behind me will rear-end me cause I've yielded once already.
Answers?
Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #44
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

You're only supposed to use the right hand lane if you're taking the 1st or 2nd exit... and yes, you're supposed to always yield to the inside lane. If you're going 1/2+ around the circle, then you take the inside lane.
etownboarder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #45
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter View Post
I get the idea that if I'm on the outside I have to yield to those on the inside. But am I supposed to yield all day long? This afternoon I yielded to one vehicle on the inside lane while he exited, then proceeded, not knowing there was a vehicle behind him that wanted to exit. HONNNNNNKKKKKKK!
How am I supposed to know? Like I said, am I supposed to yield all day long? Maybe the guy behind me will rear-end me cause I've yielded once already.
Answers?
You shouldn't have entered the traffic circle on the outside lane with the intention of proceeding halfway around if there is oncoming traffic on the inside lane that will be exiting immediately after you enter. It's pretty simple.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #46
Titanium48
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post

I agree that the one at 118th and St. Albert Trail needs to be replaced, and soon.
With what? Is it really any worse than any other type of intersection short of an overpass? Putting right turn lanes like the one from 118 Av westbound to St Albert trail northbound on all 4 sides might help, but what's the problem otherwise?
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #47
sundance
Addicted to C2E

118th and St Albert should be modified 1st, having the 1 through/left, 1 through/right is inadequate no matter what design. Should be left, through, through/right
Old 07-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #48
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
Quote:

With what? Is it really any worse than any other type of intersection short of an overpass? Putting right turn lanes like the one from 118 Av westbound to St Albert trail northbound on all 4 sides might help, but what's the problem otherwise?
It functions extremely poorly during rush hour periods, and I think that a normal intersection would function much better. But I'm certainly no transportation engineer. Mostly it's as Sundance mentions: traffic going 3/4 of the way around will tend to back up at a light and block through traffic (1/2 way around).

Not to mention it's extremely accident prone, although the accidents tend to be minor given the low speeds (mostly sideswipes and rear enders as people change lanes within the circle, which IS allowed on that particular circle).
Old 09-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #49
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

I can't believe 118th Ave/Princess Elizabeth/101st St hasn't been mentioned here yet. If there was ever a case for putting lights at entrances to a traffic circle this is it. In the morning traffic is dominated by vehicles coming off of 97th and 118th toward NAIT, in the afternoon rush-hour traffic is dominated by vehicles leaving NAIT (10-15 minute waits in a backed up line of cars is a daily problem).

I have the unfortunate situation of going against both of those trends on a daily basis.
Alex.L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #50
blainehamilton
Addicted to C2E

The best way to navigate a traffic circle is to put on your blinker, hit the gas, close your eyes and PRAY FOR THE BEST.

Seriously tho, the circle/lights at 118Ave and St Albert Trail has got to be one of the worst congestion points on the north side of the city. Removing the circle and creating a major controlled intersection with LONG turning lanes for each direction is needed.

I just hope the city doesn't screw it up and make the left/right turn lanes too short. (a la 127st north at 137ave) - this location is ALWAYS backed up northbound during rush hour and left/right turning drivers often miss turn windows due to backed up northbound traffic. There was ample land on the SW corner of the intersection to add longer/additional lanes.

The phasing of the lights at 118ave and St Albert Trail has to blame for a lot of the congestion. At morning/afternoon periods, it seems the thru lights are not phased, with the second on 5-10 seconds behind the first, resulting in stop/go traffic with little flow.
blainehamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #51
MylesC
Addicted to C2E

118 and St. Alberta isn't a traffic circle. It's a bastadized traffic circle that doesn't work at all in its current form.
Old 17-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #52
sundance
Addicted to C2E

According to 2007 stats, 118th St Albert is the heaviest used "traffic circle"
http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...WDT_Report.pdf

Rough numbers ignoring turns
St Alberta Trail 33,000 118th Ave 22,000
98th Ave 25,000 85/84th Streets 9,000

While the 98th Ave traffic for the most part works for the volume the St. Albert/118th one doesn't but even adding dedicated left turning lanes rather then the current situation would improve things, I sort of like the circle and trees in the middle, would be nice if they could keep them rather then creating a concrete wasteland like Groat/111th.
Old 17-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #53
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander View Post
I can't believe 118th Ave/Princess Elizabeth/101st St hasn't been mentioned here yet.
No kidding. That needs to be made into an intersection in a bad way. It's the only traffic circle in the city that has a lane running through only a portion of the circle, which then ends and you are forced to exit.

It can be pretty confusing/unsettling if you are driving through it for the first time.
MrOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #54
Dark Knight
You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Default Traffic Circle in London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzlerz View Post

[FONT=Arial]It must have signals if there are stop bars. Kind of pointless then - defeats the purpose of a free flow traffic circle. May as well have a standard signalized 4 leg intersection with left turn bays. Except they appear to like the pedestrian park down in the hole in the middle.[/FONT]
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #55
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander View Post
I can't believe 118th Ave/Princess Elizabeth/101st St hasn't been mentioned here yet.
No kidding. That needs to be made into an intersection in a bad way. It's the only traffic circle in the city that has a lane running through only a portion of the circle, which then ends and you are forced to exit.

It can be pretty confusing/unsettling if you are driving through it for the first time.
having a bus stop mid-circle is also just ridiculous as far as I'm concerned, and that bus lane is used far too often for people cutting around traffic, which is just setting the stage for collisions.

the outside lane cuts off on the East exit, and too many times I've seen people cut-off, pushing them into other lanes right there. But what can you even do at that interersection to fix it? the roads feeding into the circle are:

Princess Elizabeth
101 street
118th ave
102 street
and one could argue 97th, because if some type of wild intersection goes in there then 97th will definitely factor into it.
Alex.L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #56
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

That 101 St. 118 Ave. circle has to be the worst. Maybe once they have the plan for the airport land in place it will be taken out and replaced with something that has more flow.
Old 20-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #57
RTA
Addicted to C2E

^ I believe the city already laid out a plan for removing the circle. Forgive me for not being able to even try to look it up right now, but IIRC, Princess Elizabeth Ave. was to join up with 118 Ave. "east", and 101 St. was to join up with the rest of 118 Ave. "west" and the two new roads would intersect where the circle is now.

This may have changed completely, though; it is possible with the airport decision that the city may rather want to make 118 Ave. a contiguous roadway.
Old 25-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #58
bulliver
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
Quote:

Go there during rush hour some time! Left hand turn traffic has no room to queue, so it ends up curling around and blocking through traffic, so basically, you are lucky if one or two cars gets through per light cycle from the left lane. Westbound am peak traffic is backed up right to 127 St or further.

Plus, some folks are confused by, or don't notice the traffic lights, and think they still have the right-of-way once they are in the circle. Several times I have had people turn left on a red right in front of me as I proceed through on a green.

It needs to be replaced by a regular signalized intersection, and soon...
Old 23-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #59
geordieinthecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance View Post
Yes as mentioned before you can go 1/2 way in both lanes, however the right hand lane has to yeild to the left hand lane

As mentioned before
1/4 way right hand lane only
1/2 left or right
3/4 left
More then that have fun doing 360s in the left lane

There is a previous post in another thread that describes this;
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...6&postcount=11

As for traffic lights, they really don't seem to work that well Groat/St Albert and 118th Ave is horrible for backups.
Agreed. Our roads weren't designed for easy upgrading to Roundabouts rather than Stop lights. But every city in history, including London had a grid (in however formation) as its foundation, so with limited access to lower traveled off ramps and on ramps; they would be elimated, allowing a more free flow environment for Arteries of this North American City.

Last edited by geordieinthecity; 23-01-2011 at 11:00 AM..
geordieinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote