Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports, sports, and more sports! Edmonton is a sports-crazy city, and everyone has an opinion. From the Oilers to the Eskimos, from the Edmonton Capitals baseball team, the Edmonton Energy, to the Edmonton Rush and the Golden Bears and Pandas, the Rexall Edmonton Indy, not to mention all of the amateur sports this city supports – this forum is your chance to discuss, comment and review what’s going on.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Sports, sports, and more sports!

Old 27-07-2006, 04:34 AM   #1
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

Default Universiade: Edmonton--Not happening...2011/2013 mb 2015?

2011 Universiade: Edmonton selected as potential Canadian host--NOT

After all is said and done Edmonton could not get its ducks in a row and it is being announced that 2011 Universiade Edmonton which was hailed “as ours to lose” will not be coming to Edmonton.

City officials blame the feds saying that agreements and funding could not be shored up and as such they were unwilling to go forward. Blaming the turnover in the federal government (Anne McLellan as DPM had delivered a letter of support but no firm details) apparently after six months in government no one returns phone calls or can make a commitment?

Some of what was said in the original media release:

“We’re a proud and committed partner in this bid,” said Capital City Mayor, Stephen Mandel. “Edmontonians have earned an international reputation for hosting world-class sports and cultural events. 2011 Universiade is both, and will serve as a fine showcase for athletes as well as Edmonton’s fantastic artistic communities.”

“We’ve seen that events like this are very good for Edmonton,” said City Manager Al Maurer. “They present a unique opportunity to profile the city on the world stage. They present a direct economic impact and they open up new avenues for updating our recreation infrastructure.”

“Our outstanding, cosmopolitan University, teamed with the vibrant City of Edmonton all but guarantees the success of the 2011 Summer Universiade,” said Dr. Roderick Fraser, president of the University of Alberta, in throwing his support behind the bid. “We have the knowledge, experience, enthusiasm, facilities and volunteer base to stage a well-organised, well-executed, welcoming and memorable event that will be immensely satisfying for participants and audience alike.”

Athletes from 125 countries were expected to attend the Games and more than 5000 volunteers would have been recruited to support the event.

Disappointment reigns.
DebraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
MylesC
Addicted to C2E

That's a big disappointment
MylesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
murman
Addicted to C2E

Default Re: [b]2011 Universiade: Edmonton--Not happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgirl
...apparently after six months in government no one returns phone calls
It took me a few years to learn this, but for anything important, I never leave a message. You keep hitting zero until you get a real person and don't hang up until you've spoken to exactly who you intended to, or else find out where they're hiding out at and track them down there.
murman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

Default Re: [b]2011 Universiade: Edmonton--Not happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by murman
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgirl
...apparently after six months in government no one returns phone calls
It took me a few years, but for anything important, I never leave a message. You keep hitting zero until you get a real person and don't hang up until you've spoken to exactly who you intended to, or else find out where they're hiding out at and track them down there.
I agree persistence (usually) pays off.

Another little phone trick I use is to press "pound" (the number sign) when I receive voice mail. On most systems this allows you to leave a message right away with out listening to the whole drawn out message. (Of course, this works great if the voice mail person updates their message daily and you have ascertained that they are there and on an extended whatever.)

I am disappointed that the city did not go ahead after expending all the effort and time that they had already done. I agree that we need to be cautious about committing money to ventures without firm funding agreements but surely proviso agreements would have been sufficient to continue in the bid process at least.

In December 2002 Saskatoon pulled their bid to host the 2007 Universiade and (then) Edmonton Mayor Bill Smith threw Edmonton’s name into the mix. “In a gracious gesture of support the City of Edmonton offered to serve as an alternate Canadian bid city when they heard the Saskatoon bid was in trouble, however due to the late stage of the process FISU will not entertain alternate bids at this point. “I am very grateful to Mayor Smith for his kind offer to lend his support in hosting a Universiade in Canada. I admire the Edmonton ‘can do’ attitude and entrepreneurial spirit,” stated McGregor. “Edmonton and the University of Alberta are remarkable hosts. In fact the 1983 Universiade in Edmonton set the standard by which other Games are measured.”

Out but not down in E-town.
Old 20-08-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
LindseyT
Addicted to C2E

How did I miss this topic...... aweful news.
LindseyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #6
MylesC
Addicted to C2E

I spoke with someon involved with the local Conservative organization.

Apparently this was something that fell through the cracks between government changeovers. The Liberals had committed to quite a few projects that were greater than even the Liberals had bugeted for. Basically we had received and empty support letter.
MylesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

Default Bidding Universiade 2013 adieu?

Bidding Universiade 2013 adieu?

Dan Barnes Edmonton Journal Blog
September 11, 2007

The City of Edmonton and University of Alberta wanted to bid for Universiade 2011, they re-focused on 2013 and might yet have to settle for 2015.

If the Canadian Interuniversity Sport board of directors decides next month that there isn't enough lead time to meet the government's new bid requirements, Edmonton's bid leaders will simply have to push their plans back another two years.

Sport Canada toughened things up after Halifax failed to follow through on its plan to bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

"Because of what happened in Halifax, the federal government has spoken to Sport Canada and the franchisees to make sure if they're going forward with games bids, they are totally prepared," said CIS president Don Wilson. "Based on that, would it be too cumbersome to get prepared for 2013? To the best of my knowledge, the warning shot fired means there will be a lot more hoops to go through."

Regardless, Mike Mahon at the U of A wanted to stress that everybody is still on board with the bid, whenever it happens.

"We've asked the CIS to consider doing a bid process for 2013.

We don't know at this point what the opportunities will be. We're trying to push them for 2013."

Their original plan to bid for 2011 was scuttled due to a change in federal government.

Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:24 PM by Dan Barnes

-30-
Old 14-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
EdmontonInfo
Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Universiade

City Putting in Bid for Universiade 2015
6:16 am
630 CHED
http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1004244

4/14/2008

City council is putting the finishing touches this week on another bid to bring Universiade to Edmonton, this time in 2015. 630 CHED News has exclusive details that indicate the deal will get done this time.

A couple of years ago, a Universiade bid fell apart because federal funding didn't come through. The Harper government was brand new and had too much on its plate with the Olympics and a Commonwealth Games bid for Halifax.

But 630 CHED News has learned that the city has received written confirmation financial support will be there for the bid. U of A Phys Ed Dean, Mike Mahon says he's heard first hand from Helena Guergis...

"The Minister of Sport told us in a conversation this summer that she was supportive of a Universiade bid."

Although Mahon says she won't come right out and say its Edmonton's, because a Montreal bid for summer games and Quebec City bid for winter games is also on the table. The CIS makes its decision in June.

Last edited by Medwards; 14-04-2008 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Making link clickable
EdmontonInfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
EdmontonInfo

Exclamation

Edmonton May Not Host Universiade 2015

6:17 am
4/21/2008

There are fears Edmonton's bid to bring Universiade to our city in 2015 won't happen because Toronto is bidding for a larger sports event for that same year, the Pan-Am Games.

Candice Stasynec, the project manager for the games bid confirms to 630 CHED News, this last minute wrinkle could hamper Edmonton's hopes.

"This is another challenge and another hurdle. We're a little bit surprised also, that Toronto has come out as the canadian canditure for Pan-Am. Usually these processes are open to all cities."

But instead Toronto is a sole source bid, meaning it has no domestic competition.

Some insiders suggest that City Council might want to pull back on the games bid, and concentrate more on a bid for Expo 2017 instead.

Stay tuned.
Old 21-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
kcantor
Addicted to C2E
Mr. Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonInfo View Post
Edmonton May Not Host Universiade 2015

6:17 am
4/21/2008

There are fears Edmonton's bid to bring Universiade to our city in 2015 won't happen because Toronto is bidding for a larger sports event for that same year, the Pan-Am Games.

Candice Stasynec, the project manager for the games bid confirms to 630 CHED News, this last minute wrinkle could hamper Edmonton's hopes.

"This is another challenge and another hurdle. We're a little bit surprised also, that Toronto has come out as the canadian canditure for Pan-Am. Usually these processes are open to all cities."

But instead Toronto is a sole source bid, meaning it has no domestic competition.

Some insiders suggest that City Council might want to pull back on the games bid, and concentrate more on a bid for Expo 2017 instead.

Stay tuned.
really just cranky, miserable and disagreeable on principle but happy to have earned the title anyway; downtown arena fan; edmonton 2017 world's fair and edmonton indy supporter; proponent of "edmonton works"
kcantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
Edmontonfan
Addicted to C2E

EXPO 2017 would be my choice
Old 21-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Universiade is small fry. If we want this city to move into the big leagues, it needs to dispense with its "can't do" attitude and go after bigger fish like Expo.
Old 21-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
LindseyT
Addicted to C2E

I can see getting the universiade as a warm up/practice type of event, much like how we had the ITU world triathlon as a warm up to the IAAF. Giant events need giant sized practices.
Old 21-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Well, I like to think we've already had our warm-ups with the 1978 Commonwealth Games, 1983 Universiade, 2001 Worlds and all that. Let's leave these events for the Kingstons and the Frederictons and graduate to the Expo/Olympic level.
Old 21-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
LindseyT
Addicted to C2E

the universaide is a ticket to spend all sorts of federal and provincial money on sporting infrastructure....something you can never have enough of. The university needs a replacement for Clare Drake and the Main Gym. And the potential for such a critical mass of world class facilities would be amazing, not only for athletics but because of the synergies that would exist with the "health district" across the street when it comes to rehabs, research and the like.
Old 21-04-2008, 11:47 PM   #16
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Edmonton would get truckloads of infrastructure coin from the feds and province for an Expo, not to mention all that corporate investment.

Besides, if I was the Prime Minister and a city mayor came up to me and asked, "we're bidding on both the 2015 Universiade and the 2017 Expo, we need your help", my likely reply would be "sure, but pick one or the other because the events are so close together and we wouldn't be able to fund both of them at once". And if the city mayor says, "well golly gosh, the Universiade is good enough for our lil ol' town" I'll turn around and say, "hey Hamilton, looks like Expo 2017 is yours to lose."
Old 22-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
LindseyT
Addicted to C2E

I really don't see that happening. The approach that officials should be taking is stressing the value of having a warm up event. If it comes down to one or the other, then fine, but lets not voluntarily say no.
Old 13-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #18
EdmontonInfo

Default Athletics official impressed with Edmonton

Athletics official impressed with Edmonton

She is among a group touring the city to learn about its bid for the 2015 World University Games

Keith Gerein, edmontonjournal.com
Published: 3:47 pm May 13th 2008

EDMONTON - The head of university athletics in Canada says she has "tremendous confidence" in Edmonton's ability to stage a successful World University Games in 2015, should the city land the event.

"We were delighted that Edmonton and the University of Alberta were interested and put their hat in the ring to bring these games to Canada," said Marg McGregor, chief executive officer of Canadian Interuniversity Sports.

McGregor was part of a four-member selection team that was in town today to learn more about Edmonton's bid and get a tour of its sports, cultural and housing facilities. The group's itinerary included a morning helicopter tour of the venues that would be used for the Universiade, followed by an evening trip to Commonwealth Stadium to watch David Beckham's soccer match.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...0-d5cfe8304b3b

John Barry, a former U of A administrator who is serving as the executive director of Edmonton's 2015 effort, said the University Games may represent Edmonton's last chance in the next 20 years to host a major international sporting event.

"It's probably our best chance of landing something, so you have to go for it."