Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-topic/General Discussion Discussions not covered under the topics we currently have (a place to hang out).

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Off-topic/General Discussion

Old 07-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
hoserwithahose
First One is Always Free

Default Where to buy used CDs

I can't seem to find a good, used CD store in Edmonton. The places along Whyte are pretty expensive, considering CDs are pretty much dinosaurs nowadays … Any suggestions? Where can one go to find a good selection of secondhand music>
hoserwithahose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
murman
Addicted to C2E

Default Re: Where to buy used CDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserwithahose
I can't seem to find a good, used CD store in Edmonton. The places along Whyte are pretty expensive, considering CDs are pretty much dinosaurs nowadays … Any suggestions? Where can one go to find a good selection of secondhand music>
Good question. The # of stores is declining, and those still around have pricing that's firmly in the 1990s.

Let you in on a secret: next time you're in LA, go to Amoeba Music in Hollywood. It's as big as a freakin' Future Shop, has 20+ cashiers, and enough product to put you in the poor house.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
m0nkyman
Addicted to C2E

Default Re: Where to buy used CDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserwithahose
I suspect it depends on your preferred style of music....
m0nkyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
bobinedmonton
Addicted to C2E

Default Used CD's

Any pawn shop usually has a selection - and you'd be surprised at the variety, and the price!
bobinedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Caesar555
Partially Addicted to C2E

There's one on Jasper Ave between 103 and 104 Street (I think), on the north side - Globex Building.

I can't remember the prices, but the selection was ok.
Caesar555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
howyadoin'
Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmbrown
There's one on Jasper Ave between 103 and 104 Street (I think), on the north side - Globex Building.
I hate to be the bearer of bad new news.. but it is apparent that another used CD store has become part of the trend and vacated that space.
howyadoin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

You can try places like Wee Book Inn, or the flea markets like the one on 111 Ave and 119 St every Saturday.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #8
hoserwithahose
First One is Always Free

Thanks for the info so far. I'm not looking for any super-rare or way out there bands, just rock stuff. But I suspect there's not many places to get that kind of stuff nowadays. And the stores that do exist still think they can sell used discs for $10. Oh well. Back to downloading, I guess.
hoserwithahose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Cured
Addicted to C2E

Sound Connection just relocated this summer off 124 street to Whyte Ave and about 100 street. They are, in my opinion, the best spot to buy quality used CDs and vinyl. I have been a regular shopper of theirs since the 80s and have never been dissapointed. Everything is scratch free, clean, and properly indexed. The selection is very good and they are good at locating rarities.

But like you said, it depends on how much you are willing to pay. Sound Connection generally charges $8 for a used CD these days. In the 90s it used to be in the $10 to $12 range. You have to keep in mind that there is a limit of how low it can go before it no longer makes sense to operate this type of business.

If your looking for cheap used stuff it is best to try the weekend flea markets. There are several good stands at the Super Flea market on 111th ave and 120 street.
Cured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
GregK
First One is Always Free

Freecloud at 10764 101 Street is not bad
GregK is offline   Reply With Quote