Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rants An opportunity to vent about a "not so good" Edmonton experience.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Rants

Old 05-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
qualityresults
First One is Always Free

Default Heritage Festival - Park and Ride

I have noticed that ETS is proudly offering Park and ride to the Festival with a major exception.

None of the Park and rides start in the north east or south east.

Does ETS think that no one from these areas will attend, I thought this was a festival of multiculturalism, which definitely includes these areas.

In that there is not any parking on site and the fact that Heritage mall, also does not have a park and ride for those from the south, and the parking at Southgate is severely limited due to construction, would it not have been prudent to include say Millwood's Town Center as a park and ride.

I am of the belief that ETS services should be equal access for all not just those west of Gateway.

Again just my 2 cents
Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Default Re: Heritage Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualityresults
I have noticed that ETS is proudly offering Park and ride to the Festival with a major exception.

Does ETS think that no one from these areas will attend, I thought this was a festival of multiculturalism, which definitely includes these areas.

In that there is not any parking on site and the fact that Heritage mall, also does not have a park and ride for those from the south, and the parking at Southgate is severely limited due to construction, would it not have been prudent to include say Millwood's Town Center as a park and ride.

I am of the belief that ETS services should be equal access for all not just those west of Gateway.

Again just my 2 cents
You realize you can catch a bus or LRT from the NE or SE to a parknride location?

Locations:

Grant MacEwan College
110 St. & 104 Ave.

NAIT Parkade
118 Ave. & 107 St.

Jubilee Auditorium
87 Ave. & 115 St.

Calder City Lot
124 St. & 124 Ave.

U of A LRT Station
89 Ave. & 112 St.

Davies City Lot
61 Ave. & 86 St.

Burns City Lot
121 Ave. & 70 St.

Secondary Route Stop
116 St. & Jasper Avenue

Holiday Inn Convention Center
45 Street/76 Avenue

These are all normal locations for the PnR for Eskimo games too... and I thought Davies City lot was near millwoods... (east of gateway) holiday Inn CC is also in the east..... and the LRT is a quick ride from the NE to many different PnR locations??

I think this is a good enough service, you can't put in a parknride everywhere..., and certainly, you can connect to a bus going to the festival via many regular ETS routes... I think your a bit out to lunch on your rant on ETS and Heritage festival being accessible to all. It clearly is.

feepa
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
DanC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa
Quote:

Again just my 2 cents
You realize you can catch a bus or LRT from the NE or SE to a parknride location?

Locations:

Grant MacEwan College
110 St. & 104 Ave.

NAIT Parkade
118 Ave. & 107 St.

Jubilee Auditorium
87 Ave. & 115 St.

Calder City Lot
124 St. & 124 Ave.

U of A LRT Station
89 Ave. & 112 St.

Davies City Lot
61 Ave. & 86 St.

Burns City Lot
121 Ave. & 70 St.

Secondary Route Stop
116 St. & Jasper Avenue

Holiday Inn Convention Center
45 Street/76 Avenue

These are all normal locations for the PnR for Eskimo games too... and I thought Davies City lot was near millwoods... (east of gateway) holiday Inn CC is also in the east..... and the LRT is a quick ride from the NE to many different PnR locations??

I think this is a good enough service, you can't put in a parknride everywhere..., and certainly, you can connect to a bus going to the festival via many regular ETS routes... I think your a bit out to lunch on your rant on ETS and Heritage festival being accessible to all. It clearly is.

feepa
Plus the #8 from Millwoods stops right at the Davies Yard, so if people really wanted they could use this route, which is high frequency, by parking at Millwoods town center or Grant Mac Millwoods to get to the buses heading to heritage.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

The Heritage Festival was enjoyable as usual. I do have one minor gripe, there should be more running water available. If I have to eat certain African cuisines with my fingers, at least let me wash my hands. It's too easy getting hit with mudbutt there.
Sonic Death Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
snakes on a blog
Addicted to C2E

from the heritage festival website:

As Park & Ride sites are unavailable in some areas of the City, five neighbourhood collector routes will operate in these areas providing service to the Heritage Festival.

West Edmonton Heritage Festival Shuttle Service loops through Meadowlark and West Edmonton Mall neighborhoods stopping at regular bus stops and then travels express to the festival site.
Callingwood/Lessard
Riverbend Route
Twin Brooks Route
Yellowbird Route Check the ETS web site at www.take.ETS.com for Special Events & Services for neighbourhood route details.
For more information: www.takeETS.com or 496-1611
snakes on a blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa
Quote:

Again just my 2 cents

feepa
Ah yes, good enough for Millwoods. We've heard it all before. Ask yourself, for a moment, why the Davies park n ride even exists in the first place.

Lets see, geographically one would think, its picking up primarily Millwoods residents. But strangely not in Millwoods...only an ETS planner and yourself thinks this makes any sense.

Maybe its just me but there appears to be some other odd park and ride locations in the bunch.

45st 76ave...huh?!?

Jubilee auditorium.. lets see, maybe a nice walk..quicker than the bus will get you there.

GM AND Nait BOTH need P n R?

116 and Jasper. again a walk is nice and likely quicker. Very scenic too.

Finally, 5 of the current in use park n rides are much closer to downtown than Davies is to the vast majority of Millwoods. FTR Davies is 14km from my doorstep within Millwoods. I've used it once in 20 years. Thats how useful it is in that location.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:59 AM   #7
qualityresults
First One is Always Free

I do realize that however, when you consider the amount of travel time required to get to heritage or Davies for that matter.

Again you ahve proved the point, there is no direct access to the heritage festival from the north east or the southeast. But you can travel from West Ed Mall

I quote snakes on a blog "from the heritage festival website:

As Park & Ride sites are unavailable in some areas of the City, five neighbourhood collector routes will operate in these areas providing service to the Heritage Festival.

West Edmonton Heritage Festival Shuttle Service loops through Meadowlark and West Edmonton Mall neighborhoods stopping at regular bus stops and then travels express to the festival site.
Callingwood/Lessard
Riverbend Route
Twin Brooks Route
Yellowbird Route Check the ETS web site at www.take.ETS.com for Special Events & Services for neighbourhood route details.
For more information: www.takeETS.com or 496-1611"

It appears that some areas are being favoured over others for service especially when the park and ride at a couple of the locations is not available. It also appears that no one in the city lives south of 61st ave or north of 124 ave, since when did the city become so small.

This is the type of planning I have been referring to when I spoke about transit and the reason I beleive the whole system needs a revamp. A festival celebrating our heritage and only 70Square blocks gets direct service and everyone else can travel ours because there is no parking on site.

Remember tomorrow is Sunday service How much service out of Millwoods goes to Davis yard. So every 15 minutes out of millwoods on the number 8, so let's see I leave at 9:57 from millwoods I Get to davis yard by say 1020, I leave davis yard by 1030 Hopefully, unless of course all the people decide to ride at the same time and get to the park by 11:00.

Direct to the park 30 minutes at best. How much parking at Millwoods all kinds now this again is the same out of the northeast

Clareview and Belvedere both have park n rides, Why could there not be a bus from one of those stations serving the north east.

This is supposed to be the bigest multicultural festival of its kind in one place. Looks like we dropped the ball again.

Let everyone have equal access to the park and the buses, by having direct runs from all areas of the city, not just select venues.

Even the collector runs ahve left these areas out of the running...I guess that's another thing to add to my Transit List for the upcoming elections
Old 06-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
Dusty Bear
Addicted to C2E

^

The Calder Lot PnR bus goes right past my home. Why won't it stop to pick me up and drop me off? Don't they realize ETS should be convenient for me, me, me???
Dusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
microbus
Addicted to C2E

It would be relatively easy for ETS planners to add more
Park and Ride locations, but where do they get all the
drivers from? Most of the drivers for Heritage Days are
working their off-days.
Some are working because they need or want the extra
money, but a lot are working Heritage Days because they
were asked to, and they want to help ensure Edmontonians
get decent service and can get to Heritage Days with their
families.
microbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
dwells
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Again you ahve proved the point, there is no direct access to the heritage festival from the north east or the southeast. But you can travel from West Ed Mall
That's an interesting omission. By any chance, would you happen to know which parts of the city are the most ethnically diverse?
dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

If you live in the NE, one could take the LRT to University station and then either catch the Park & Ride from there or walk.
Sonic Death Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #12
grish
Addicted to C2E

i know people here are talking about trasportation to the festival, but since the title simply says "heritage festival" I will include a small rant of my own.

There are four things people need to know about a festival:

1. where it is/ how to get there
2. what to do there
3. when the festival is held
4. what time the festival begins and ends.

how come their website does not have the last piece of very important information?
grish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

For those of you who question why there is a Park & Ride at 45st. and 76 ave (Holiday Inn).....it is convenient location for people living in Sherwood Park, Maple Ridge, and the extreme eastern Mill Woods communities.
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy66
For those of you who question why there is a Park & Ride at 45st. and 76 ave (Holiday Inn).....it is convenient location for people living in Sherwood Park, Maple Ridge, and the extreme eastern Mill Woods communities.
Yes I know. It was a baited question. We're serving Sherwood park with this. Its the only thing I could think of too. Great. maybe look after our own first? maple ridge? lol, a trailer park with limited population is thougt about but not the biggest suburb IN the city. Its incomprehensible .

Frankly I don't know anybody from Millwoods that would use this btw. especially with 34st north closed all summer and 50street so busy.

But one more time, Millwoods, with a highly ethnic popualtion well over 100,000 can't be properly serviced with park and ride to Heritage festival?

One more time why does Davies exist? To serve Millwoods? Poorly i'd say.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #15
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bear
^

The Calder Lot PnR bus goes right past my home. Why won't it stop to pick me up and drop me off? Don't they realize ETS should be convenient for me, me, me???
C'mon. is there a rule that this should be more difficult than necessary to use? Or that it should offer pick up in locations the popualtion is not coming from in the first place?
Rather than snide commentary that miswords the argument how about a response to why Davies park and ride. which actually exists to serve millwoods, is being offered instead of a park and ride actually located in millwoods?

Its a reasonable question.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #16
microbus
Addicted to C2E

Any suggestions for 1 or 2 Mill Woods PnR sites? And why
you chose those locations?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #17
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbus
One, easy, MWTC because its central to the community, well used area, commercial hub, has a transit terminal, and huge amounts of parking in addition to being within walking distance to many as it is located in an area populated with many walkups, density dwellings.

Everybody in Millwoods is used to going here anyway. Anybody with a clue that lives in this community considers this a no brainer. This is the undisputed hub of Millwoods. Lakewood, Millbourne, are not even close.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #18
qualityresults
First One is Always Free

Quote:
As was said by replacement MWTC is the prime one with a stop say at lakewood or milbourne mall and one other from say the Ellerslie area with a stop at south common mall. I am not limiting to these 2 but would cover a lot more ground than is covered now and give the city better coverage, I am betting 1 bus every 10 minutes would fill up pretty quick, especially from MWTC

2 more routes and a lot more riders.

Again just my 2 Cents.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #19
codeman9669
Partially Addicted to C2E

Ok, so here is a question - I really dont know anything about the transit center at MWTC. Does ETS actually have any parking there? Or is the parking lot owned by MWTC? Now, I would imagine that if ETS wanted to use MWTC as a park-n-ride, would they not have to get some sort of permission from MWTC?

Maybe MWTC said no?

Southgate Mall and Westmount Mall have both been known to ticket people using their parking lots for park-n-ride - and this is for regular bus service, not even special events parking which would likley draw many more people.

Everyone is quick to blame ETS here - maybe the problem is with the businesses WITHIN MW not agreeing to park-n-ride at the only suitable locations!?!
codeman9669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #20
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman9669
Ok, so here is a question - I really dont know anything about the transit center at MWTC. Does ETS actually have any parking there? Or is the parking lot owned by MWTC? Now, I would imagine that if ETS wanted to use MWTC as a park-n-ride, would they not have to get some sort of permission from MWTC?

Maybe MWTC said no?

Southgate Mall and Westmount Mall have both been known to ticket people using their parking lots for park-n-ride - and this is for regular bus service, not even special events parking which would likley draw many more people.

Everyone is quick to blame ETS here - maybe the problem is with the businesses WITHIN MW not agreeing to park-n-ride at the only suitable locations!?!
This is a good question. I can tell you that Millwoods Town Centre was built with a large excess of parking(only gets filled at Christmas) and has continued to have that excess. There is a also a large expanse of parking on the eastside of the mall which is closest to the bus terminal.

The Town Centre, originally having some trouble attracting customers, and keeping tenants has always to me reflected the sense of a mall that tries harder to please people. I've never seen a ticket, a towaway, and have never seen any enforcement of the parking lot there. unlike Southgate or Kingsway Garden mall who start bringing out the Uzi's if any students or commuters start parking there..

The other thing is that people here use Town Centre regularly for a park and ride commute unofficially and leave their car all day for instance going to work downtown I've done similar on the odd occasion but reward the Mall for their convenienience by making sure I buy something at the mall and purchase something at the foodcourt.

I support this mall because I respect the way they do business and in many of their endeavors which I could list in detail this has been a mall that has wanted to support and be part of community and positions itself like a helpful neighbor in that community. I've always had that sense with this mall. Kudos for that.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #21
steelman
First One is Always Free

I know ETS ran a park and ride for the FIFA tournament off 66 street on the west side of the mall. And I think for Eskies games. But perhaps, the mall felt with the larger influx of people for Heritage Days it would take away too many stalls for mall customers.
By the way, I went to Heritage Days on Monday, and used the Park and Ride. I found it extremely efficient. It took me a whole 10 minutes to drive to the Davies lot, and caught a bus right away. And yes, I live in Millwoods - right across from MTC and really have no problem using the Davies lot for the park and ride. A 10 minute drive is not a big deal.
steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #22
microbus
Addicted to C2E

Maybe they should have a PnR at Stadium, so people from the
NE don't have to take a train all the way to University.
Lots of parking at Stadium, with nearby residents more than
willing to make a few dollars for overflow traffic to use their
yards.
Buses could run west on 112/111 ave, stop at 101/111 WB,
turn south on Groat Rd, and be at Hawrelak within 20 mins.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #23
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Maybe they should have a PnR at Stadium, so people from the
NE don't have to take a train all the way to University.
Lots of parking at Stadium, with nearby residents more than
willing to make a few dollars for overflow traffic to use their
yards.
Buses could run west on 112/111 ave, stop at 101/111 WB,
turn south on Groat Rd, and be at Hawrelak within 20 mins.
Why not just catch the LRT to the university and catch the PnR bus at jubilee? This makes more sense...
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #24
microbus
Addicted to C2E

Because that PnR stop is overflowing all the time. :P
Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #25
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman
I know ETS ran a park and ride for the FIFA tournament off 66 street on the west side of the mall. And I think for Eskies games. But perhaps, the mall felt with the larger influx of people for Heritage Days it would take away too many stalls for mall customers.
By the way, I went to Heritage Days on Monday, and used the Park and Ride. I found it extremely efficient. It took me a whole 10 minutes to drive to the Davies lot, and caught a bus right away. And yes, I live in Millwoods - right across from MTC and really have no problem using the Davies lot for the park and ride. A 10 minute drive is not a big deal.
I'm curious about this post. Which route did you use to get there. I'm in southeast millwoods but have long waits traversing 50 and 66streets no matter which route I use and you can't use Whitemud because no turnoff to 86st. 38th at some point in my route is unavoidable and a slow route.

15-20 mins each way depending on traffic.

Like I said earlier its 14km from my doorstep which IMO is poor service. At that point I'm driving most of the way to the destination. How sensible is that? You wouldn't prefer the MWTC location?