Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rants An opportunity to vent about a "not so good" Edmonton experience.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Rants

Old 10-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
ike9126
Addicted to C2E

Default Cinema City 12 Takeover News

Cineplex Entertainment (TSX: CGX.UN) is buying three theatres from Cinema City Inc., two in Winnipeg and one in Edmonton.

Financial details were not disclosed Friday in the acquisition of the Cinema City Northgate and Cinema City McGillivray in Winnipeg and Movies 12 in Edmonton.

The deal, expected to close in mid-July, adds 32 screens to Cineplex Entertainment's 1,297 screens at 129 locations.

Cineplex said all employees will be retained.

"The economy in Western Canada continues to outperform the rest of the country which makes the acquisition of these three theatres a great enhancement to our existing portfolio of locations," stated Ellis Jacob, CEO of Toronto-headquartered Cineplex Entertainment, which is owned 75.7 per cent by the Cineplex Galaxy Income Fund and is controlled by Onex Corp. (TSX: OCX).
ike9126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
ike9126
Addicted to C2E

What isnt mentioned, is that Cinema City 12 in south Edmonton was also aquired, but will most likely be shut down by Friday, with all staff being transferred to South Edmonton Common.

So if you want to see a movie for under 350 youd better hurry.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

^ This is too bad...there is no place to go see a movie for a reasonable price anymore.
DebraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
E-Town Crusader
Partially Addicted to C2E

I just went to Cinema City 12 yesterday to catch a flick.
E-Town Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Bryguy

Theatre prices are crazy.
I'm not sure exactly what caused all of the price increases but I find it ridiculous.
When prices were cheaper I would go to the movies more often and do the whole popcorn/pop routine. Now I rarely go to the movies and almost always avoid the concession.

But they obviously have enough customers; I'm just not one of them except for rare exceptions.
Of the 10 most recent shows I've seen in theatres about 7 of them have been either a Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or Shrek (not including the 3rd).

Be that as it may; at least Cineplex doesn't have a monopoly on theatres. I'll always have fond memories of the $5 matinee and Cinema 6.
Bryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
microbus
Addicted to C2E

LOL Bry.. I still have memories of the $1 matinee
microbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #7
amanzano

hang on. is Cinema 12 really closing down? or is this just a rumor? FRICK...not another theatre down. oh well..i guess the price to pay for progress...eek....
amanzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
IanO
Addicted to C2E

if you are an ama member, you can get tickets for $8.94

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
canucklehead

Just when you thought you could escape the national cultural monopoly of ONEX (Cineplex/Galaxy/Famous Players as well as Chapters/Indigo/Coles), guess again!

Well I guess that leaves Princess, Garneau, Metro and the Empire Chain as the only theatres not under their control in Edmonton....

I am a regular at Movies 12 on 50th Street, so I hope they don't raise prices or convert it to a regular first run theatre (but I wouldn't be surprised given that it just upgraded its sound to digital and its seating to stadium, and because it doesn't have any screens in the Northeast anymore since Clareview was sold to Empire)
canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
ike9126
Addicted to C2E

ITs not a rumour...thats for sure, and Movies 12 will stay a discount theatre.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
amanzano

it would be nice for AMC to come in and provide a little competition.
amanzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #12
Winnipegboy

So are they turning these into Cineplex Odeon Theatres, or are they leaving them as they are?
Winnipegboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
ike9126
Addicted to C2E

Well Cinema City 12 is the only one that will be shut down, the rest in the chain as far as I know will be left under the names they are now.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
Winnipegboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike9126
Well Cinema City 12 is the only one that will be shut down, the rest in the chain as far as I know will be left under the names they are now.
So then there is no real danger of losing our cheap seats theatres?
Winnipegboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:44 PM   #15
Cured
Addicted to C2E

I remember when Movies 12 on 50th street first opened. They were playing full price first run movies for about the first 3 months.

As soon as the Clareview theatre opened(which I think was Edmonton's first with stadium seating) Movies 12 changed to a dollar theatre.
Cured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #16
Cured
Addicted to C2E

There are still some deals to be had on first run movies. Clareview cinema has $5 Tuesdays and the Garneau has $6 Mondays.
Cured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #17
24karat
Addicted to C2E

I really miss the movie palaces that we had before the 12 screen theatres that are now the norm.

And I remember Saturday Matinees when I was a kid. The "in group" would always get the front row, and they'd watch the movie practically looking straight up at the screen. Fun times!!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #18
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24karat
I really miss the movie palaces that we had before the 12 screen theatres that are now the norm.

And I remember Saturday Matinees when I was a kid. The "in group" would always get the front row, and they'd watch the movie practically looking straight up at the screen. Fun times!!
^ I remember doing that! Although it was either the very front or very back row and a quarter covered you for the Matinee, popcorn, a drink and if you polled your money licorice!

The folks would drop us off at the theatre and then go shopping or whatever parents do when the kids are out for a double-header.

I still remember the first "grown up" movie I ever saw and watched the whole thing with no candy runs. It was the Poseidon Adventure.

I also remember my dad taking me downtown (I lived in Edmonton at the time) and seeing "Jaws" at the Paramount--loved it and was thought I was so cool because I wasn't scared or didn't scream like a "girl"...I actually liked the gory parts!
Old 13-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #19
ac101
First One is Always Free

Its too bad that this is happening. I've gone to Cinema 12 a lot. Living to the south of Edmonton, I'm not about to drive to Movies 12 just to catch a flick for a cheap price.

On Edmonton Movie Guide it says that Cinema 12 is permanently closed and the owner "is open for suggestions for use". Guess this means its never coming back. What could it potentially be used for?
ac101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #20
ike9126
Addicted to C2E

There's an advantage though... if anyone has rainchecks or guest passes from cinema city (which previously were only worth 3.50) now you can use them at any Cineplex Entertainment theatre...so youll get a lot more out of them.
Old 20-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #21
Wayne M
First One is Always Free

I remember when C C 12 first opened.

We live in Millwoods and only happened to notice the theater the day before it's actual opening. We tried the doors and low and behold they opened and there was some-one in the box office. We bought tickets for what I don't even remember but what I do remember is this older gentleman showing us around his "New" theater complex and to the theater where our show was supposed to play.

It was still a good 20 minutes until our movie was supposed to begin but this fellow said he'd start the movie right away and off he went and start the movie did.

He seemed like a pretty OK dude up here from somewhere in the US I suppose. It was a neat experience.

What I didn't like about that theater was the seeming lack of concern about the way the place was being managed. The staff attitudes were terrible. The place was always understaffed. The manger/supervisor didn't seem to give 2 hoots about anything.

The seats to were terrible. I may be a bit overweight but not that big and I almost got stuck in them a couple of times. When they were broken, they were never fixed. The place just went to crap.

I guess being a low-cost theater, parents would just dump their kids off as a cheap baby sitter and the unruly brats would wreak havoc with the place.

Oh well, there's always the pirated movies off the net.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #22
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
I remember when C C 12 first opened.

We live in Millwoods and only happened to notice the theater the day before it's actual opening. We tried the doors and low and behold they opened and there was some-one in the box office. We bought tickets for what I don't even remember but what I do remember is this older gentleman showing us around his "New" theater complex and to the theater where our show was supposed to play.

It was still a good 20 minutes until our movie was supposed to begin but this fellow said he'd start the movie right away and off he went and start the movie did.

He seemed like a pretty OK dude up here from somewhere in the US I suppose. It was a neat experience.

What I didn't like about that theater was the seeming lack of concern about the way the place was being managed. The staff attitudes were terrible. The place was always understaffed. The manger/supervisor didn't seem to give 2 hoots about anything.

The seats to were terrible. I may be a bit overweight but not that big and I almost got stuck in them a couple of times. When they were broken, they were never fixed. The place just went to crap.

I guess being a low-cost theater, parents would just dump their kids off as a cheap baby sitter and the unruly brats would wreak havoc with the place.

Oh well, there's always the pirated movies off the net.
^Wayne M,

Thank you for sharing your memories.

Welcome to C2E too!
Old 20-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #23
ike9126
Addicted to C2E

As an employee (well i guess formerly) CC12, I can take offence to the comment of staff attitudes being terrible. I know most of my colleagues and I tryed to make the experience as good as we good, with the limited resources at our disposal. CC12 was unique, in a bad way, as it had the disadvantage of having two owners, Cinemark Ab. Ltd. and Cinema City Inc., and most of the time the two owners could not agree on anything, meaning reno's never got done, staff got paid crap, and repeated requests from management for new equiptment etc. almost always got ignored. As an example, staff handbooks, which were supposed to be given out to all employees, were never available. I found one in the staff change room under a locker this year, and it was dated 1997. The seats were fixed, however slowly, but it usually took time, again becasue of the lack of parts. Movies were late starting most often because of ancient projectors, which meant the film often tangled. However, there were cases of staff and management negligence (as in any workplace), and I would like to apoligize for any inconvenience.

We were said to have the best popcorn in Edmonton however.
Old 20-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #24
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
As an employee (well i guess formerly) CC12, I can take offence to the comment of staff attitudes being terrible. I know most of my colleagues and I tryed to make the experience as good as we good, with the limited resources at our disposal. CC12 was unique, in a bad way, as it had the disadvantage of having two owners, Cinemark Ab. Ltd. and Cinema City Inc., and most of the time the two owners could not agree on anything, meaning reno's never got done, staff got paid crap, and repeated requests from management for new equiptment etc. almost always got ignored. As an example, staff handbooks, which were supposed to be given out to all employees, were never available. I found one in the staff change room under a locker this year, and it was dated 1997. The seats were fixed, however slowly, but it usually took time, again becasue of the lack of parts. Movies were late starting most often because of ancient projectors, which meant the film often tangled. However, there were cases of staff and management negligence (as in any workplace), and I would like to apoligize for any inconvenience.

ike9126,

As usual you impress the heck out of me!

Thanks for the insight and the apologies (which were not necessary but VERY classy).

With your attitude, I know that you will end up somewhere they treat you a whole lot better and appreciate you.

(P.s. Yes, Cinema 12 had some of the best popcorn in Edmonton...right up there with the Garneau and the Princess Theatres.)

Old 23-07-2007, 01:56 AM   #25
ike9126
Addicted to C2E

Haha... what can I say...I had to defend it, all of the people who worked there loved it.
Old 23-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #26
Wayne M
First One is Always Free

ike9126,

I agree with djgirl, You don't have to apologize for the mistakes of others but accepting responsibilities will get you ahead in life. Bad (and good) management though not the fault of employees, can sure be reflected by them. Good on you.

I am sorry for generalizing all staff in my rave but I can only go by my experiences. I am sure there were very many employees who went out of their way to provide a good movie experience but it's more likely the lousy instances that get recalled.

WM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgirl
Quote:

ike9126,

As usual you impress the heck out of me!

Thanks for the insight and the apologies (which were not necessary but VERY classy).

With your attitude, I know that you will end up somewhere they treat you a whole lot better and appreciate you.

(P.s. Yes, Cinema 12 had some of the best popcorn in Edmonton...right up there with the Garneau and the Princess Theatres.)

Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #27
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

Default Discount Cinema 12 closes doors

Discount Cinema 12 closes doors

edmontonjournal.com
Published: July 31, 2007 12:26 pm

Cinema 12 has been closed after Cineplex Entertainment bought the southside movie theatre from Cinema City this month.

The discount movie house, located at 3633 99th Street, shut its doors on July 13.

A Cineplex spokesperson said it made financial sense to close the cinema as its lease was set to expire in September.

Cineplex took over all four of Cinema City's theatres, including Movies 12 in north Edmonton and two cinemas in Winnipeg.

Movies 12 will remain open.

Cineplex offered all of Cinema 12's employees jobs at other Cineplex locations in this city.

The movie chain now owns six cinemas in metro Edmonton, including Movies 12.

-30-
Old 31-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #28
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

The Edmonton Journal must be getting new tips from C2E as one of our great members ike9126 reported this on July 10th!