Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Real-Estate & Development This forum looks at specific real estate projects and developments - past, present, and future - in the Edmonton area. Here’s where to look for updates on developments, read about new projects, suggest improvements to buildings or other projects.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Real-Estate & Development

Old 08-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Default EPCOR Water Quality Assurance Labs - U/C

Located in Edmonton’s picturesque River Valley, this lab facility has been designed for local utility provider EPCOR. This project consolidates EPCOR’s Project & Technical Services, and Quality Assurance Laboratories under one roof while integrating cutting-edge processes and technology, resulting in greater effectiveness for both departments.
Our process carefully considered the unique site and EPCOR staff’s needs. The entrance to the building showcases a significant 3-storey atrium that draws natural light into the heart of the structure. As you move through the building, the view of the River Valley is framed whenever possible, be it through the main floor lunchroom or up the stairs and through the lounge and the roof terrace beyond.
Various types of lab spaces are integrated into the building design:
- Microbiology Laboratory
- Organic Chemistry Laboratory
- Trace Metals/Inorganic Laboratory
- Support Lab spaces
Workstations are located close to the perimeter of the building, in order to allow each staff member to be close to, and operable windows for natural ventilation.
Deftly designed as a sustainable, healthy, day-lit workplace for staff, EPCOR Labs will delight staff and visitors well into the facility’s future.

(http://manascisaac.com/uploads/manas...0520_small.jpg)

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
ScottieA
Addicted to C2E

I like it.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

specially that tipped over sign post thats the best part.....
Magnoblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Blocking view.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
DanC
Addicted to C2E

A little underwhelming but that may be the poor rendering of some of the materials in the computer model.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Something I posted on SS in response to someone:

"Epcor can be out by Cloverbar or Smith...you know it. The "their" is ME - I am the Owner - Joe Public Citizen. Epcor is acting greedy and irresponsibly to use a site they have been entrusted to by the City of Edmonton. They could simply go elsewhere and help to create a contiguous area for redevelopment of the old Power plant/site. Instead they want to expand to larger new face by the river for their staff to enjoy - not the public. Open house days...give me a break..."

Bottom line is that this project could and should be located elsewhere and this site made part of the redevelopment planned for the old Power Plant.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^well ok then... but this site is within their boundaries and not in a natural state and they need to do river water testing near the river.

www.decl.org

Old 08-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
IdriveaSubaru
Addicted to C2E

Put it in the edmonton research park, it's why we have the friggin place...

I should know...

FFS...

Goddamit epcor... Taking good development site that should be for public space
This is a power grab and all about them.. Screw them...

I don't care how it looks. Building a facility like this belongs at the ERP. Maybe south campus or one of the UofA's development fields for incubator/commercial research spaces..

Nothing but bad feelings towards this.

*Edit: I know they want to be close to water treatment plants as is the purpose of this lab.. But I am a strong supporter of putting facilities that do this sort of testing near other ones and with a bit of a barrier from the public. Any time you are incubating samples from waste water you could be brewing all kinds of nasty stuff. Specialized security measures need to be put in place. I have experience in BSL 2 and 3 labs.

Last edited by IdriveaSubaru; 08-11-2013 at 07:41 PM..
IdriveaSubaru is offline   Reply With Quote