Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arts, Culture & Entertainment Edmonton has a vibrant and broad-based cultural scene, easily one of the most exciting in Canada, if not North America. Check this site for show announcements about theatre, cinema, shows, festivals, concerts, people, the arts in general, and other forms of entertainment. Post your thoughts, comments, announcements here.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Default Club XO

Club XO is opening in the Treasury space @ Jasper Ave and 100 St

https://www.facebook.com/iloveclubxo
http://clubxo.ca/

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 02-09-2013 at 09:10 PM..
Sonic Death Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
IanO
Addicted to C2E

QuElle surprise.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
GreenSPACE
Addicted to C2E

Gah.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Better than a strip club, no?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Sidestep

Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

So... it's gonna suck?
Old 20-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
Ustauk
Addicted to C2E

Drove past Club XO last night, and signage is up. From the the website, it appears they are operational, for however long they last. Looks like an ordinary dance club, with the only unusual thing being go-go dancers in cages, which I don't recall seeing in Edmonton before. Any clubs have those in the 70s?
Ustauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Bank Ultralounge had cage dancers a few years ago
Old 20-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^hahaha oh yeah, I recall those...

Old 20-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

I was talking to management at Underground and they've been having talks with the building management to take over that space when XO inevitably fails.
Old 20-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
Bank Ultralounge had cage dancers a few years ago
Among other "attractions," I seem to recall so did Goose Loonies.
Old 20-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
Gizmo
Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
Drove past Club XO last night, and signage is up. From the the website, it appears they are operational, for however long they last. Looks like an ordinary dance club, with the only unusual thing being go-go dancers in cages, which I don't recall seeing in Edmonton before. Any clubs have those in the 70s?
Can't remember the name of the bar in WEM, had like 3 rooms...Chaos? But it had go go dancers I believe in cages....has been a very long time so memory is a bit hazy
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ Club Kaos...and I think you're correct re: cage dancers.

When XO inevitably fails, I wouldn't mind a club that is relatively douche-free and caters to older upscale crowd as per initial incarnations of Overtime and Dantes. It seems that these days Edmonton nightlife is now geared solely towards teeny boppers, hipsters, rednecks and gangsters. When I was in Cactus Club the other night I saw in the lounge a lot of faces I remember frequenting OT and Dantes.
Old 20-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Top_Dawg
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
I was talking to management at Underground and they've been having talks with the building management to take over that space when XO inevitably fails.

Top_Dawg can't help but giggle thinking what if Underground fails first.
Top_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #15
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
Quote:

Top_Dawg can't help but giggle thinking what if Underground fails first.
Doubtful. Underground has been doing very well since the road construction finished. When I was there last weekend it didn't appear Craft had any affect on the place - it was busy in there.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:24 AM   #16
Gizmo

Finally.......closed down.
Edmonton is now 1 less douche bar haha
JayBee (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #17
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Yes good riddance. But by the same token it kinda sucks that any attempt to open an upscale nightspot in this city often turns into a hangout for gangstas. Also, maybe club owners should quit drawing inspiration from Las Vegas and try drawing inspiration from New York or London.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #18
Idealistic Pragmatist

Quote:
But by the same token it kinda sucks that any attempt to open an upscale nightspot in this city often turns into a hangout for gangstas.
Yeah, what's up with this? Does anybody have an explanation for why this happens?
Old 10-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #19
hello lady
Addicted to C2E

The same thing happened with the Marquee. Gang bangers closed it down, although if you were a white person, you were a minority
hello lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #20
DanC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
Quote:
But by the same token it kinda sucks that any attempt to open an upscale nightspot in this city often turns into a hangout for gangstas.
Yeah, what's up with this? Does anybody have an explanation for why this happens?
People who want to flaunt wealth at a club are generally of a specific personality type?
There are upscale bars, there are upscale lounges and then there are clubs.
The first two, I will generalize, attract people with disposable income who want to have a few drinks, socialize and relax.
The latter brings in people who want to get drunk, party hard and show off. The clubs that are built indulge this excess and encourage to drain the wallet, but with that you get the personality type and the consequences.
hello lady (10-06-2015), IanO (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #21
hello lady
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC View Post
Quote:
Quote:
People who want to flaunt wealth at a club are generally of a specific personality type?
The first two, I will generalize, attract people with disposable income who want to have a few drinks, socialize and relax.
The latter brings in people who want to get drunk, party hard and show off. The clubs that are built indulge this excess and encourage to drain the wallet, but with that you get the personality type and the consequences.
You take a look at the age of the patrons, and then what they are driving. No way are they an ordinary Joe with an 9-5 job
Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #22
DanC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You take a look at the age of the patrons, and then what they are driving. No way are they an ordinary Joe with an 9-5 job
No, but they might be an average Joe (maybe Jane) who just worked thirty days straight, twelve hours a day in the middle of nowhere,with alot of frustration and too much money.
I'm trying not to totally type cast these places, it's not all drug dealers and bad people, but the reality of Alberta, we are home to alot of the above who come rolling back into organized society from the brink of it who make bad choices.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #23
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

I think the desirable clientele is there - older professionals who want to dance, party and hook up, but not go to a place for 18-year-olds. I always think back fondly to Overtime - it was great up until about 2007, then ownership changes led to its downfall. I know one of the guys from the original ownership group, he said the inspiration for this place came from upscale sports bars in New York. Dantes was a similar upscale cougar haunt, but management changes eventually led it being taken over by thugs.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #24
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
The simplest answer is this.

An establishment opens, brands itself upscale bar, invests a lot of money on some interior bling, but often very little on exterior that elicits crowds in. Establishment strives to have classy upscale clientele. Said establishment soon has revenue/overhead problems, not getting enough return on investment and soon starts letting in the riff raff that it said it wouldn't. Revenue increases momentarily, this reinforces allowance of questionable clientele who sooner or later figure they own the place, upscale individuals or really anybody else with any seen soon learn to avoid the place like the plague and said facility is then the domain of gang bangers douches with nobody else in sight. Place doesn't make enough money off off this either, has lots more expenses for damage, upkeep, has trouble keeping staff, keeping police away etc. and eventually closes doors.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

Thing is as soon as you let the cretins in the game is over. But its the temptation to max revenue and sales that does that in places trying to recoup shortterm. In most cities "upscale" spots are not defined by just what the place looks like or what kind of services it offers or even its menu or drinks. Its defined first and foremost by what patrons are allowed in and who isn't. Upscale isn't just stylings, its clear policy and ongoing vision to protect that business plan about who your clientele will be.

Last edited by Replacement; 10-06-2015 at 10:06 AM..
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You For This Useful Post:
Gizmo (12-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #25
hello lady
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, but they might be an average Joe (maybe Jane) who just worked thirty days straight, twelve hours a day in the middle of nowhere,with alot of frustration and too much money.
I'm trying not to totally type cast these places, it's not all drug dealers and bad people, but the reality of Alberta, we are home to alot of the above who come rolling back into organized society from the brink of it who make bad choices.
If they are doing all that, they have no time to go to these clubs. I was talking to one of the compliance team, and as the police walk into a club, the drug dealers walk out the back, it happens all the time. Also on a Sunday night, theses places are packed, nobody who works regular hours ( when its full to capacity) can being doing a 9-5.

Last edited by hello lady; 10-06-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Old 10-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #26
EveB
Addicted to C2E

Location: Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Having worked like that in the past, if they are doing all that, they have very few other uses of their rare off time than going out. Ordinary hobbies are hard to cultivate when you work all the time. And the fact that the one thing these people have is money, well ...
EveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #27
Top_Dawg
Addicted to C2E

Top_Dawg remembers Overtime after the new management morgentalered it.

They changed their menu, jacked up their prices, and instead of catering to their daytime and after work regulars - they began treating them like cash cows.

Top_Dawg was in there a couple of weeks before they closed for good.

It was 'round halftime of Monday Night Football and there should have been about 25 - 30 people in there.

A dude was bartending and there was one server with nothing to do.

They each had one friend at the bar.

And they were buying them drinks just to get them to stay.

Pretty sad really.

Everyone disparages The Gas Pump.

But they never forget which side their bread is buttered on.

And even though it's a dump, their regulars keep returning.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #28
hello lady
Addicted to C2E

Thumbs down

I have worked like that, but I wasn't at a club every weekend, until 3.00 in the morning, nothing good happens after 2.00am. and that goes for these clubs which cater to a very different clientele

Quote:
Top_Dawg remembers Overtime after the new management morgentalered it.
Yes, it was an okay place at one time, didnt take that long before the cops were all over it , once it was under different management.

My daughter lives near the Prive, the drunks in the road at 3.00am, they tear down signs, they fight, destroy their property. She has approached Mckeen, as have many many others, he has been pretty useless. SMH

Last edited by hello lady; 10-06-2015 at 10:16 AM..
Old 10-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #29
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Personally I just don't think there's a particularly large market for "upscale club" type establishments that target the 30 and over demographic in Edmonton. Even in Calgary, which has a far, far larger "white collar" crowd, there's only a couple places that fit the bill, and many have struggled and closed or relocated like Melrose.
Marcel Petrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #30
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ I used to hit up the Met all the time if I was in Mooville on a weekend! Good times. Haven't been for ages though.
Not sure what it's like now, but I reckon Calgary has similar issues with gangs taking over nightspots.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #31
gwill211
Addicted to C2E

This club was the worst... I remember paying $20 cover charge to get in with a bunch of friends and the atmosphere was ridiculous. It had very clear ethnic cliques acting like they owned the place. It wasn't even upscale compared to other bars... It was also 70 % empty which was probably due to their crazy cover charge.

They failed at trying to be upscale... As others have said they made a valiant effort to try something new but couldn't keep it going.
gwill211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #32
Top_Dawg
Addicted to C2E

So....not a new level of sexy then ?

Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #33
Perspective
Addicted to C2E

my favorite is the radio ads for these clubs, where a lady with a sexy throaty voice tells me that this club is going to "redefine nightlife" and that the experience will be "unparalleled", "sexy atmosphere"
Perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You For This Useful Post:
Kitlope (11-06-2015), Sonic Death Monkey (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #34
DanC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If they are doing all that, they have no time to go to these clubs. I was talking to one of the compliance team, and as the police walk into a club, the drug dealers walk out the back, it happens all the time. Also on a Sunday night, theses places are packed, nobody who works regular hours ( when its full to capacity) can being doing a 9-5.
Yes when someone works out of town for extended periods, especially young men, you bet they make time for a "big weekend out" to blow all some of all of that money.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #35
hello lady
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Yes when someone works out of town for extended periods, especially young men, you bet they make time for a "big weekend out" to blow all some of all of that money.
Every single weekend, I suspect something else is going on, and I wont change my mind
Old 11-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #36
EveB
Addicted to C2E

Location: Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

How do you know that every individual is going out every single weekend. What we see is a bunch of the same demographic in the same places. But they're not always the same individuals.
EveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #37
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

I can break it down better:

Nobody gives a f--k about clubs anymore. Rich, poor, and everyone in the middle likes pubs, and enough of them put up a little dance floor on weekends which has, effectively, dismantled the club scene.

Places like XO try to bring the Vegas club thing to Edmonton while totally failing to realize those clubs are absolutely fueled by drugs and tourists. Here they only have drugs.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #38
gwill211
Addicted to C2E

I think you've aged yourself really good there... Look at whyte ave and you can see many successful night clubs. You don't go to a pub to dance if that's what you want to do....
Old 11-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #39
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

^ I think you have it backwards. Perhaps you're too young to know what used to be.

I don't club anymore (and wasn't a big fan when I did), but the dedicated club scene is teeny tiny today compared to the late 90's to mid 00's. I watched the demise closely from my perch in the foodservice industry. I remember when Hudson's was a little burger shack attached to Standard, and then they took over Fargo's on Whyte. They added a small DJ stand, moved some tables, and the "dance pub" was born. Cue closure of all but one of the massive clubs in WEM (though a country bar moved in downstairs later on), Cowboys, Ironhorse, that place on the south side that kept getting shot up, the place that now holds Rack, Ezzies, and at least a few dozen or more smaller ones.

Even stalwarts like Union Hall are veering into concert venue territory.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #40
gwill211
Addicted to C2E

If you said in your age group no one gives a damn about clubs id agree... Unfortunately your wrong as there is a crowd out there that will sustain them and want them.

One of my pet peeves is going to a place that tries to have a dance floor but they have too many tables sitting around.... If a pubs going to bring in a DJ and wants people to dance they should put away the damn tables and free up some actual space. For whatever reason they never do.... It's not rocket science...

Calgary is the worst for this.... And there are a few places I would avoid in Edmonton for this same reason.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:20 PM   #41
Kitlope
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
that place on the south side that kept getting shot up
Cocktail Club!
Kitlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:31 AM   #42
Gizmo

Quote:
I think the desirable clientele is there - older professionals who want to dance, party and hook up, but not go to a place for 18-year-olds. I always think back fondly to Overtime - it was great up until about 2007, then ownership changes led to its downfall. I know one of the guys from the original ownership group, he said the inspiration for this place came from upscale sports bars in New York. Dantes was a similar upscale cougar haunt, but management changes eventually led it being taken over by thugs.
You beat me to it.
Yes, at one point, Dante's and OT were nice to go to.
But then they just let things slide and it became another teenybopper bar.
I remember even, The Bank Ultra Lounge was Ok for the first 6-10 months when it first opened. Attracting the business crowd.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:32 AM   #43
LoebsPeugot208

I miss suede lounge. Great martini selection and the bartenders knew me, free drinks all the time plus comfy chairs. Bothy, or beer revolution or under ground have become my go too's *screw craft.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #44
hello lady
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
I miss suede lounge. Great martini selection and the bartenders knew me, free drinks all the time plus comfy chairs. Bothy, or beer revolution or under ground have become my go too's *screw craft.
Loved suede.
The Following User Says Thank You For This Useful Post:
LoebsPeugot208 (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #45
hello lady
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveB View Post
How do you know that every individual is going out every single weekend. What we see is a bunch of the same demographic in the same places. But they're not always the same individuals.
We have their cars towed away, same cars over and over. Money is no object.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #46
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

^^Suede was great. Then the group of "friends" bought it and used it as a private place to chill and get drunk, ruining the experience for everyone else. Didn't take long to close thereafter.
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #47
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

^Knew one of those guys from school. Pretty sure his ownership share was 100% funded by daddy.

Last edited by JamesL; 16-06-2015 at 08:05 PM..
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #48
Top_Dawg
Addicted to C2E

Yeah, that pretty much guarantees failure.
Old 16-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #49
LoebsPeugot208

Would love to see some more martini bar/higher end chill places pop up with more of a focus on being able to sit and converse without being deafened by crappy pop music and even worse candy rock nonsense.
Old 16-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #50
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
Quote:
that place on the south side that kept getting shot up
Cocktail Club!
Oh man, so funny and actually kinda fun for a month or 2.

Old 16-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #51
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Suede was fun.

I miss Club Malibu thursdays in Uni at the Uni, Powerplant fridays, Kaos Saturdays for a while, The Rev, The Attic, Suite 69, Bronze, Roost, Halo.

Oh oh and Juice at WEM!

Old 16-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #52
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

I used to hang out at the Cocktail Club quite a bit. True it was halfway to Leduc and is the equivalent of your average Hudsons, but back in the mid-late 90s it was the only decent place to go. That's how sad Edmonton nightlife became.
Old 16-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #53
Perspective
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
Suede was fun.

I miss Club Malibu thursdays in Uni at the Uni, Powerplant fridays, Kaos Saturdays for a while, The Rev, The Attic, Suite 69, Bronze, Roost, Halo.

Oh oh and Juice at WEM!
was so sad when that one closed, was one of my favorites
Perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #54
maclac

Quote:
I used to hang out at the Cocktail Club quite a bit. True it was halfway to Leduc and is the equivalent of your average Hudsons, but back in the mid-late 90s it was the only decent place to go. That's how sad Edmonton nightlife became.
Spent a small fortune there back in the day courting my wife (current)....omg different kinds of martinis? They seemed to spark the martini craze of the mid to late 90's.....good times...
maclac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #55
maclac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclac View Post
Quote:
Spent a small fortune there back in the day courting my wife (current)....omg different kinds of martinis? They seemed to spark the martini craze of the mid to late 90's.....good times...
Completely forgot I had my stag there as well......
maclac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #56
IJM
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Completely forgot I had my stag there as well......
It must have been a good stag do then!
IJM is offline   Reply With Quote