Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Real-Estate & Development This forum looks at specific real estate projects and developments - past, present, and future - in the Edmonton area. Here’s where to look for updates on developments, read about new projects, suggest improvements to buildings or other projects.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Real-Estate & Development

Old 01-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Default Terrace court Rant!

oh...and what the F is the deal with TESSCO's terrace court. It looks have finished and instead of grass fronting 105st (like everywhere else) it is WOOD CHIPS!

it looks like ****.

I also noticed that with the hill there and the way they did sunken balconies facing northwest, a heavy rain is going to mean huge issues for that place.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
TroyD
Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Re: Terrace court Rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO
oh...and what the F is the deal with TESSCO's terrace court. It looks have finished and instead of grass fronting 105st (like everywhere else) it is WOOD CHIPS!

it looks like ****.

I also noticed that with the hill there and the way they did sunken balconies facing northwest, a heavy rain is going to mean huge issues for that place.
So is the company that did this a subsiderary of TESSCO? My buddy is in that project and had HUGE delays getting in. More than 9 months behind sechdule. I hope Gates on 117th isn't the same. The quality going up from what I can see is great!
Old 01-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD
Quote:

it looks like ****.

So is the company that did this a subsiderary of TESSCO? My buddy is in that project and had HUGE delays getting in. More than 9 months behind sechdule. I hope Gates on 117th isn't the same. The quality going up from what I can see is great!

same company troy

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Old 01-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

Hi, I'm in Terrace court, and in fact on the condo board.

Yes, there will be grass on the 105 st side. At least that was the plan when the developer last talked to us.

I'm not a fan of the wood chips, but they're everywhere in the courtyard.

TOMC is kind of like a sister company to Tessco.

I understand the city helped out in the design as the property was so difficult to build on and they wanted it developed. Unfortunately, the design doesn't allow storage cages in the parking stalls in the garage as there's not enough room. Too bad they were marketed as such! That's a big disappointment. I'm sure they'll refund some money, but most I have talked to would gladly pass on the money to get a storage cage.
nobleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

As an aside, I was promised May 06 and moved in Dec 06. I was the second one to move in.

For those of you moving in to new places - be careful in the garage! There were two break ins in the first week (doors open, lots of contractors and people going in and out) and I had 2 flat tires from inadvertently driving over nails in the garage.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
christopherj

Quote:
same company troy
Not quite... the only relationship between TOMC and Tessco was that TOMC got some help from Tessco management for this project.
christopherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj
Quote:
same company troy
Not quite... the only relationship between TOMC and Tessco was that TOMC got some help from Tessco management for this project.
so the name is the same, the colors same, the style...the unit layouts...come on

www.decl.org

Old 02-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
christopherj

Quote:
so the name is the same, the colors same, the style...the unit layouts...come on
So - if you're Tessco, and you have designed a building, built it several times over making money, and another condo developer came to you and said "I'll give you x% of our profits to use your design", you wouldn't do it?

Similar profit, but no risk and little work.
christopherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
TroyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj
Quote:
So - if you're Tessco, and you have designed a building, built it several times over making money, and another condo developer came to you and said "I'll give you x% of our profits to use your design", you wouldn't do it?

Similar profit, but no risk and little work.
Yeah, I am sure they are NOT the same company. I think they are FORMER Tessco people.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #10
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

Yeah, former Tessco people that left on good terms. I think they still use the same contractors and such.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
turbine
First One is Always Free

I heard Tessco sold the design plan to another builder and that they are not overseeing the project build.
turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #12
ChrisD
Addicted to C2E

I noticed that the wood chips have been removed from the yard fronting onto 105 Street. Instead I noticed piles of black soil.

So, were the woodchips going to be used at all?
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #13
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD
I noticed that the wood chips have been removed from the yard fronting onto 105 Street. Instead I noticed piles of black soil.

So, were the woodchips going to be used at all?

yes i noticed that too...and trees...i guess i was wrong for once

www.decl.org

Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #14
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

the woodchips are being used in the planters on the inside courtyard. i don't know where the rest went.

i must say, the alley is a bit of a nightmare in the morning. it will only get worse once the two condo high rises are finished that border 97 ave. the extremely steep grade at the top of the alley does not help matters. i can only imagine what it'll be like in the winter.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobleea
the woodchips are being used in the planters on the inside courtyard. i don't know where the rest went.

i must say, the alley is a bit of a nightmare in the morning. it will only get worse once the two condo high rises are finished that border 97 ave. the extremely steep grade at the top of the alley does not help matters. i can only imagine what it'll be like in the winter.

yup..i noticed that as well...better start your "we need this alley sanded" campaign now.

www.decl.org

Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #16
DanC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:

I saw some wood chips blended in with the dirt out front...maybe they are mixed in to decompose and help the soil? Who knows, but they are gonzo.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #17
ChrisD
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC
Quote:

I saw some wood chips blended in with the dirt out front...maybe they are mixed in to decompose and help the soil? Who knows, but they are gonzo.
That was the remnants of the piles. The black soil will be covered by grass, trees, rocks or a combination thereof.
Old 14-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
vistokid
First One is Always Free

Seems like there are a few Terrace Court residents on the forum.

How do you guys like living in the building so far?

I'm interested in purchasing a unit but I gotta say, that hill out back really scares me. I helped a friend move in during the winter and it was a nightmare! We were in a 4X4 and almost slid in to the building.

Also, what have they done for visitor parking? Any info would be great!

Thanks
vistokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #19
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

I quite enjoy living there. I'm right on 105 st on one of the lower levels, and with the windows closed, it's still very quiet. Loud truck, motorcycle, etc being an exception. My BR is on the courtyard side, so I can't hear any road noise in there.

The steep alley in the NE corner of the building is a problem. In the winter, I can't go up it, have to go down. The parking garage is pretty tight in some places. If you have a large car, or heaven forbid a truck, you will be doing at least a 3 pt turn to get in to your stall. Maybe more. There will be no storage cages in the parkade.

They have just poured concrete for visitor parking in the alley beside the garbage. There are about 5-7 stalls (didn't count specifically).

Well over 90% of the people who live there are young professionals. Max age is probably 35, average probably 28 or 29.

The location is by far the best feature for me. I can walk to the river valley is 5 mins, legislature, anywhere downtown, whyte ave in 25 mins.
Old 14-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #20
vistokid
First One is Always Free

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think anything can be done to combat the winter parking hazard? Or do you think residents will just have to live with it?

I'll be honest, that's pretty much the only reason I haven't looked more aggressively.
Old 14-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #21
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

What do you mean by winter parking? Street parking on 98 ave during winter? or getting up and down the alley in winter?

Parallel parking on 98 ave (at the front entrance) is difficult during the winter. If you have a second vehicle or guests, they should park in the visitor parking, or on 106st at the meter parking (free after 6pm).

I do not see how they could improve the alley, outside of putting ridges in the concrete. I just plan on heading down the alley, rather than up to get in/out of the parkade. Getting up 98 ave is also a challenge after fresh snow. I've never had a problem, but others have (just go up 105 to 99 ave, and then return down 106 st).

I have lived here since Nov and consider it just a nuisance. Acceptable trade off for living IN the river valley.
Old 14-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #22
vistokid
First One is Always Free

Sorry, I meant up and down the alley in winter.

Thanks for your input!
Old 21-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #23
Mark Rad
First One is Always Free

Default Tessco

Quote:
Yeah, former Tessco people that left on good terms. I think they still use the same contractors and such.

Isn't the guy that owns Tessco also the guy that tried to cover up his nephew falling off the balcony of a walk up condo off of whyte ave?? or is that someone else??
Mark Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #24
ChrisD
Addicted to C2E

Default Re: Tessco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rad
Quote:

Isn't the guy that owns Tessco also the guy that tried to cover up his nephew falling off the balcony of a walk up condo off of whyte ave?? or is that someone else??
I think it was another builder. I want to say Hy-mark, but I could be wrong.
Old 24-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #25
TroyD

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I heard it was the Tessco guy too. I'm not sure what this has to do with the buildings though.
Old 24-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #26
Mark Rad
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I heard it was the Tessco guy too. I'm not sure what this has to do with the buildings though.
I seen some tessco so I was just curious.
Mark Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #27
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

Well, some people just don't 'get' the downtown lifestyle. The visitor parking, street parking, and alley way is full of owners' second vehicles. I know of one couple who have not 2, not 3, but FOUR vehicles. And only on UG parking stall. It seems that some Edmontonians want the downtown amenities without sacrificing the suburban lifestyle. It's gotten so bad that veritable visitors are getting parking tickets as the visitor parking is full of owners' vehicles.

Is this happening in other buildings?

I would think if a young couple moved downtown, at least one of them would actually work downtown. Four vehicles - ridiculous!!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #28
IanO
Addicted to C2E

our building, OMEGA, had major problems with that originally, but now with fines, passes, towing...we dont.

www.decl.org

Old 04-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #29
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
the visitor parking is full of owners' vehicles.
Most buildings impose limits on the visitor parking, such as time limits before towing or getting parking passes from the building manager.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #30
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

Indeed. In fact, they just installed 24hr limit signs on the visitor stalls. I know it's just growing pains for a new building, but really, who has 4 vehicles and lives in a downtown condo?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:20 PM   #31
TroyD

I currently reside at MacEwan Gardens in the South with my parents until my unit at Gates on 117th is ready.

In total, we have 3 vehicles. When my parents bought their condo, they bought 1 U/G, 1 A/G (due to a large pick-up truck), and we rent a 3rd stall from a unit holder who doesn't need their 2nd stall.

We have the same issue with owners parking in visitor stalls. Our condo board at MacEwan Gardens has a list of Owner licence plates and if an Owner parks in a visitor stall we can be fined. Furthermore, our visitor parking is for 12 hours only. Some condos also have a visitor's log at the entrance where visitors have to log in their arrival time including unit # they are visiting and their licence plate. If they stay too long, they get ticketed.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #32
highlander
Addicted to C2E

But isn't it a constitutional right to unlimited free parking?

At the highlands safeway open house there was considerable noise made about apartment residents using street parking. Fine, it could happen. But I overheard one lady in a tizzy over parking state that the apartment dwellers CAN'T park on the street because she NEEDS to park 3 of her household's 5 vehicles on the street.
highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #33
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander
But isn't it a constitutional right to unlimited free parking?

At the highlands safeway open house there was considerable noise made about apartment residents using street parking. Fine, it could happen. But I overheard one lady in a tizzy over parking state that the apartment dwellers CAN'T park on the street because she NEEDS to park 3 of her household's 5 vehicles on the street.

HAHAHA.....

www.decl.org

Old 22-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #34
jellybean
First One is Always Free

Re: Terrace Court: Why do you purchase units in Condo's that are difficult to get in and out of, and the parking itself is not the best? You make it sound as though Terrace is a challenge. I don't get. If this is the case, then this sends a message to Condo builders that Edmontonians will put up with sloppy designs. It tells them that we will pay through the teeth for crap.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #35
GreenSPACE
Addicted to C2E

^This site would have been better to limit parking and ask the City for a variance for less to no parking. It is so close to downtown I can't understand why most people would need cars anyhow.
Old 23-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #36
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^bingo. Although many cities around the world, with parking, have condos on steep terrain.

www.decl.org

Old 23-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #37
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
Re: Terrace Court: Why do you purchase units in Condo's that are difficult to get in and out of, and the parking itself is not the best? You make it sound as though Terrace is a challenge. I don't get. If this is the case, then this sends a message to Condo builders that Edmontonians will put up with sloppy designs. It tells them that we will pay through the teeth for crap.
it's no harder to get in and out of, and the parking no worse than the other condos on that alley. to say we wont develop there because parking is not ideal is not a good attitude to have, especially in such a prime location.

there is one parking stall for every unit in TC, plus two extra stalls.

parking is underground, i don't see why it would need to be limited, other than to save some costs.
being on the condo board, i would say half of the people in TC do not work downtown and commute out of the core. they're there due to the proximity to downtown nightlife and culture, and proximity to the river valley.
Old 19-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #38
LilyS
First One is Always Free

Think they got hit with a huge assessment about 1-2years ago.. like huge.... also hear that the developer was banned from building in canada. but just a rumour, no evidents
LilyS is offline   Reply With Quote