Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports, sports, and more sports! Edmonton is a sports-crazy city, and everyone has an opinion. From the Oilers to the Eskimos, from the Edmonton Capitals baseball team, the Edmonton Energy, to the Edmonton Rush and the Golden Bears and Pandas, the Rexall Edmonton Indy, not to mention all of the amateur sports this city supports Ė this forum is your chance to discuss, comment and review whatís going on.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Sports, sports, and more sports!

Old 28-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
ahuber
First One is Always Free

Default FC Edmonton to unveil stadium plans and new uniforms

As per their Facebook page:
Quote:
FC Edmonton would like to invite members of the media, sponsors and of course, fans, to join us for a major venue announcement on Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 2 p.m. in the Green & Gold Room at Commonwealth Stadium.

The club will announce where it will be playing its 2012 NASL games, as well as information regarding ticket sales and what our fans can expect from an FC Edmonton game on and off the pitch.

Season tickets are now available by calling the FC Edmonton office at 780.439.7529. Individual game tickets are scheduled to go on sale to the general public this Tuesday April 3, 2012 at 10 a.m. MST.

Additionally, FC Edmonton will take this opportunity to unveil its 2012 Home/Away uniforms.

What: Venue and jersey unveiling
When: Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 2 p.m.
Where: Green & Gold Room at Commonwealth Stadium

Please R.S.V.P. before Thursday at 12 p.m.
Just a couple quick notes on this. Clarke Stadium will be FC Edmonton's new home for the upcoming season, front office has been very open in saying this to season ticket holders. They are going to be doing some work there to improve the game day experience, like adding seating, beer gardens, family areas, etc. This will probably be announcing everything they have planned for game days.
ahuber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You For This Useful Post:
Alex.L (29-03-2012), Cal76 (28-03-2012)
Old 28-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^Awesome. Much better venue.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

If they have prices in the range of Oil Kings I could go to a few games this season
Old 29-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
SteveB
Addicted to C2E

Has there been any progress re developing a football specific stadium (sorry, can't abide the "soccer" word) as per the vision of our Mayor?
Old 29-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
ahuber
First One is Always Free

I don't know if any progress has been made there. I think a lot of that comes down to who they end up deciding to host the Womens World Cup. Edmonton is a probable host city, but once it's official, I assume the team and city will work together and get this worked out. But until that happens, it appears as though Clarke is home for a couple years at least.
Old 29-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
ahuber
First One is Always Free

I'm not there, but here's some notes the team posted on Twitter:

- From owner Tom Fath, on a soccer specific stadium: "still too early for a soccer stadium, but it's coming!" "fans come out and show how much we need a stadium!"
- Mentioned Canadians played 77% of the time for the team last season (big for Canadian soccer)
- Official announced Clarke Stadium, with 3000 seats being brought in. Existing stands plus 1500 extra seats will make up General Admission
- Single game tickets will be BELOW last seasons prices ($20-25), and go on sale April 3
- Construction at Clarke commences April 10
- Merchandise available April 5 via online store

Pictures from the event:

Old 29-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Honestly, good for this guy! Hes taking a gamble on something he believes in and it will only benifit our city. Bravo!
Old 29-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
East McCauley
Addicted to C2E

I still think FC Edmonton (or is that Sears Financial?) is making a mistake using Clarke rather than the lower west bowl of Commonwealth.

With most games this year on Sunday afternoons, and the premium reserved seating facing southwest into the baking afternoon sun, seems like a recipe for sunstroke.
East McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
With most games this year on Sunday afternoons, and the premium reserved seating facing southwest into the baking afternoon sun, seems like a recipe for sunstroke.
Seriously? I mean, seriously? I like Edmonton's summer, but I never heard of anyone getting sunstroke during it.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

^^ Because it gets so hot here , seems I survive the Eskimo and Capital games....
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I still think FC Edmonton (or is that Sears Financial?) is making a mistake using Clarke rather than the lower west bowl of Commonwealth.

I'm sorry but when you put a few people in a large space you can't create a vibe.

You are way better off packing Clark and getting some food truck and other venders at the game.
Old 29-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:

Soccer games aren't really all that long.

90minutes of nonstop action, a little bit of injury time, and the break. Seems whenever I go to a game its basically 2hrs spent. Theres people that go rock lobster in this climate all day lounging on the beach.

Wear white, head protection, sunscreen, drink fluids, should be good to go.
I'd only worry about the players on the pitch and they've all played some games in much hotter climes.

That said at Foote field the reserved section was the shaded section. This is kind of the opposite now. Of course its a moot point for afternoon games here so not sure I get your point.
Old 29-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
East McCauley
Addicted to C2E

EDP, so creating a vibe is more important than patron comfort?

Some of us are prone to sunstroke even wearing hats and sunscreen especially when facing directly into the sun. And it does get hot here in the summer time especially mid-afternoons.

Other than on overcast days, I'll have to sit in the aluminum bleachers on the west grandstand. Being part of the older demographic, my back doesn't like sitting on bleachers without backs but will see how it goes.
Old 29-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
East McCauley
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
That said at Foote field the reserved section was the shaded section. This is kind of the opposite now. Of course its a moot point for afternoon games here so not sure I get your point.
Unlike Commonwealth or Foote which are north to south, Clarke has a northwest to southeast orientation. That means the reserving seating on the east side faces southwest, not directly west. Therein is the problem for patron comfort with games running from 2-4 pm.

Regardless, with all the amazing amenities at Commonwealth (the existing private boxes and concession areas, the north facing viewing platforms/patios added with the completion of the expanded rec centre, the new wider seating to come), why can't a way be found to make this state of the art facility work for professional soccer?
Old 29-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
ahuber
First One is Always Free

Commonwealth has been tried multiple times over, it's always been a failure. The ownership now wants to differentiate itself from previous pro soccer endeavours as much as possible. This isn't ideal, but it's the lesser of all evils.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
howie
Addicted to C2E

Nice graphic in the pictures, but was anything said about pitch markings? Or will the status quo of Foote Field's markings continue? That alone is a deal breaker for me. There is nothing so hideous as "soccer" (sorry SteveB, there's that word again) lines sharing with gridiron markings, especially in a less visible colour, as was the case at Foote Field.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #17
ahuber
First One is Always Free

Also, not to be lost in this, Clarke gives the team a regulation sized pitch, which is what they didn't have at Foote.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #18
ahuber
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Nice graphic in the pictures, but was anything said about pitch markings? Or will the status quo of Foote Field's markings continue? That alone is a deal breaker for me. There is nothing so hideous as "soccer" (sorry SteveB, there's that word again) lines sharing with gridiron markings, especially in a less visible colour, as was the case at Foote Field.
Unfortunately, the football lines are stitched into the turf at Clarke and they are permanent. But the soccer lines will be FAR more visible that that at Foote. No lacrosse or field hockey lines getting in the way. Much better turf too, the players are much more excited to be playing there.
Old 30-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:

Some of us are prone to sunstroke even wearing hats and sunscreen especially when facing directly into the sun. And it does get hot here in the summer time especially mid-afternoons.

Other than on overcast days, I'll have to sit in the aluminum bleachers on the west grandstand. Being part of the older demographic, my back doesn't like sitting on bleachers without backs but will see how it goes.
Yes it is... I doubt that in huge European soccer games the people crammed around the fencing near the field are all that comfortable and are there 100% for the vibe. Just like the people in standing areas at the front of a concert.

If you are prone to sunstroke take the required means necessary to protect yourself... but if your that prone to sunstroke you best just stay inside and hide. The world won't stop because of someones failure to prepare for the sun...

My god.
Old 30-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #20
kkozoriz
Addicted to C2E

Maybe we should just build an indoor soccer stadium and connect it to the pedway so people don't ever have to see the sun.

What is wrong with this city that we're so afraid of being outside? It's too cold in the winter. It's too hot in the summer. It's too wet in the spring. It's too colourful in the fall. Everything has to be covered or enclosed or underground.

kkozoriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuber View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately, the football lines are stitched into the turf at Clarke and they are permanent. But the soccer lines will be FAR more visible that that at Foote. No lacrosse or field hockey lines getting in the way. Much better turf too, the players are much more excited to be playing there.
They are now.

One of the things I expect is that the better pitch will also make a huge difference for our opponents who often struggled with the weirdness of the pitch and the ball bouncing along like it did. FCE knew that home pitch inside out and I think in the games I saw used it as advantage.
Our D perhaps looked better than it was due to some teams just no adjusting to the turf conditions, which on record the homeside took a lot of time to adjust to.

Clarke is a better facility for sure but its no "Boston Gardens" as far as offering a home advantage.

Thats going to be the tradeoff. The club has to be a lot better this year just to get the same footing(excuse the pun)

That said we could well have a better lineup this year.
Old 30-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Unlike Commonwealth or Foote which are north to south, Clarke has a northwest to southeast orientation. That means the reserving seating on the east side faces southwest, not directly west. Therein is the problem for patron comfort with games running from 2-4 pm.

Regardless, with all the amazing amenities at Commonwealth (the existing private boxes and concession areas, the north facing viewing platforms/patios added with the completion of the expanded rec centre, the new wider seating to come), why can't a way be found to make this state of the art facility work for professional soccer?
Thanks for the clarification. Its been along while since I've attended anything at Clarke and also hard to get the orientation from the schematic. You're getting a lot of flak in this thread. I would counter to some of the posts here that midday heat and direct blistering sun can get quite intense for some people and especially those used to a northern climate.

I would literally drop dead in Phoenix heat. Meanwhile i do fine with the coldest temperatures. I'm strange that way.

Last edited by Replacement; 30-03-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
Maybe we should just build an indoor soccer stadium and connect it to the pedway so people don't ever have to see the sun.

What is wrong with this city that we're so afraid of being outside? It's too cold in the winter. It's too hot in the summer. It's too wet in the spring. It's too colourful in the fall. Everything has to be covered or enclosed or underground.

I'm sorry I suffer from Vitamin D deficiency..... I am also claustrophobic...

This won't work for me so it's no good.

Does anyone have anything positive to say.. Like.. Great space, smaller venue... better vibe.
Anything that draws more attention to South Campus and makes the city aware of it def helps. so we don't get another monster rec building like what was built.

The lack of built in amenities creates a great opportunity to make a "on the street" presence

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 30-03-2012 at 12:44 PM..
edmonton daily photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
Shawnessy83
First One is Always Free

We've tried pro soccer in Commonwealth, and failed miserably. It WILL NOT work, there are too many negatives.
-An average crowd of 2,500 looks absolutely ridiculous in a cavernous 60,000 seat stadium,
-The rent at Commonwealth is extremely difficult for a club of FC Edmonton's size to work financially
-The track between the stands and the field of play destroys what limited atmosphere could be generated in that stadium.

Vibe and atmosphere is what is going to make this club a success, not patron comfort. Being a massive fan of this team, and the fact the football lines will still be at Clarke almost makes it a deal breaker even for me. The game will never be taken seriously by the average Joe Edmonton sports fan until it looks like a professional soccer match, which it wont at Clarke. However, based on the facility constraints in this City, we have no better option than Clarke.

I just wish minor football could move to Jasper Bowl or new $3.5 million city funded turf football field and facility at Millwoods Rec Centre. It pisses me off to no end that soccer, a sport with massive participation numbers doesn't have an ideal city run facility, while a significantly larger amount of public funds are spent on track and field and football infrastructure, two sports with much less participation than soccer.
Shawnessy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
Roquentin
Partially Addicted to C2E

I played a few times at Clarke Stadium back in the day (soccer). The turf was absolutely wonderful. I'm sure that factor in and of itself will make games more enjoyable for fans. It should help the team as well. Watching games at Foote Field was always cringe inducing if only because of the lousy (for soccer) surface. It was like watching indoor soccer outside, and indoor soccer is a much different game. Having a full-sized pitch will also be a great boon and should add to the "seriousness" of the game for fans. I've never been to Clarke Stadium as a spectator, so I can't speak further on that point.

I'm in full support of this move, and I wish the team the best of luck! See you in the stands!
Roquentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #26
kkozoriz
Addicted to C2E

As a short term solution Clarke shpuld work better than Foote. I'd still like to see a soccer specific stadium as part of the airport redevelopment. Close to NAIT and the LRT. Direct connection to the University.
Old 30-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #27
East McCauley
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnessy83 View Post
We've tried pro soccer in Commonwealth, and failed miserably. It WILL NOT work, there are too many negatives.
-An average crowd of 2,500 looks absolutely ridiculous in a cavernous 60,000 seat stadium,
-The rent at Commonwealth is extremely difficult for a club of FC Edmonton's size to work financially
-The track between the stands and the field of play destroys what limited atmosphere could be generated in that stadium.
Contrary to what some may think, I'm a big soccer fan and looking forward to having FC Edmonton in my neighbourhood.
- To create a better vibe at Commonwealth, use the lower bowl only and seat people in the middle sections opening new sections as attendance grows. I attended several of the exhibition games held at Commonwealth in the 2010 season and thought the vibe was fine.
- First I've heard about the rent at Commonwealth being too high. City officials told me that they were prepared to offer Commonwealth on favourable terms, but it was FC Edmonton that decided they wanted to play elsewhere.
- The track between the stands and the field was removed when the Field Turf was installed (maybe before). The stands are no farther away from the field of play than at Clarke.

A couple of additional points:
- Unlike Clarke which has permanent markings for football, Commonwealth has erasable field markings so that it can be used for both football and soccer.
- The Field Turf installed at Commonwealth is of a higher quality than that installed at Clarke.
Old 30-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #28
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnessy83 View Post
Contrary to what some may think, I'm a big soccer fan and looking forward to having FC Edmonton in my neighbourhood.
- To create a better vibe at Commonwealth, use the lower bowl only and seat people in the middle sections opening new sections as attendance grows. I attended several of the exhibition games held at Commonwealth in the 2010 season and thought the vibe was fine.
- First I've heard about the rent at Commonwealth being too high. City officials told me that they were prepared to offer Commonwealth on favourable terms, but it was FC Edmonton that decided they wanted to play elsewhere.
- The track between the stands and the field was removed when the Field Turf was installed (maybe before). The stands are no farther away from the field of play than at Clarke.

A couple of additional points:
- Unlike Clarke which has permanent markings for football, Commonwealth has erasable field markings so that it can be used for both football and soccer.
- The Field Turf installed at Commonwealth is of a higher quality than that installed at Clarke.
I have no problems with the atmosphere at Commonwealth and have enjoyed every soccer game played there. Including all of the Fath related productions. Contrary to what people are indicating 8-10k does work fine. Its great for the viewer as well as comfortable, seats available, and very enjoyable facility.
ANY, soccer game here at Commonwealth yielded a lot more than what was had the last week for the Concacaf olympic qualifying in NASHVILLE. That was really lame, but only because its a big tournament that would be guaranteed to do a lot better in almost any other place and of course here.
Old 30-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #29
howie
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuber View Post
Quote:
Well, that's some consolation, and I'm glad about the improved playing surface - pitch size, as well. Games at Foote always had an odd quality about them.

I know that the gridiron lines will still be irksome to me, but I'm enough of a football fan to try to overlook that - it'll be a bit like facing up to a phobia.

And it IS all about the vibe over creature comfort. Standing on the terraces for many years at Highbury ingrained that view into me.

BTW, I like the new strip. Reminds me of Leeds United.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #30
ahuber
First One is Always Free

This morning, tickets to all of the teams games go on sale, including the Canadian Championship game against the Vancouver Whitecaps, via ticketmaster.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #31
Transplanted_Edm
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I think they probably considered the patron comfort issue but concluded the majority of people would not have any objection to being outside for approx. 2 hrs. during the summer in Edmonton.
Transplanted_Edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #32
East McCauley
Addicted to C2E

Does anyone know why there has been no activity whatsoever to expand the seating capacity or provide the other planned amenities at Clarke, with only 8 days to go before the first scheduled home game?

Is it possible that FC Edmonton has decided to take my sensible advice and play its home games at Commonwealth instead?
Old 17-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #33
ahuber
First One is Always Free

The recent rain and snow set construction back. The ground is too soft to place the bleachers. There will be GA only at Clarke for the first game, with limited seating. A light 3 row setup for bleachers will be placed on planks where reserved seating will be. Anyone planning on going should show up early.

http://the11.ca/2012/04/16/snow-rain...tons-new-home/

This won't affect many of the teams home games though. Their next home game after Sunday is the Canadian Championship game against the Whitecaps at Commonwealth on May 2. Next game at Clarke is May 6, followed by a May 27 game. This affects maybe 2 home games max, and could be why the team hasn't been pushing too hard in advertising them.
Old 20-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #34
kkozoriz
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Does anyone know why there has been no activity whatsoever to expand the seating capacity or provide the other planned amenities at Clarke, with only 8 days to go before the first scheduled home game?

Is it possible that FC Edmonton has decided to take my sensible advice and play its home games at Commonwealth instead?
I'm sure they'd be willing to take your advice if you'd personally make up the difference in costs.
Old 20-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #35
East McCauley
Addicted to C2E

^Are you sure there is even a difference in costs? If so, I'd be interested in knowing what the difference is.

The Commonwealth Stadium manager told me via email that FC Edmonton's decision is not based on costs. He said: "it is completely the wish of FC Edmonton to play their regular season home games in Clarke Field and not the Community Services Department or Commonwealth Stadium suggesting this. I have been told by the owner and the management staff of FC Edmonton that they are very much looking forward to playing their home regular season games at Clarke Field. They have told me that they really don't want to play their soccer games in Commonwealth Stadium at this point in time. They feel that Commonwealth Stadium is far too large a venue for the number of spectators that are currently attending their games."

I support FC Edmonton and wish them well. I respectfully disagree with their decision to use Clarke rather than Commonwealth for the reasons stated in posts above.
Old 22-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #36
DoyleG
First One is Always Free

East McCauley,

I know that your love for Commonwealth is boundless, and I respect that. However, having been a follower of Canadian soccer since my earliest days, Commonwealth is far too big in terms of capacity and the costs that it would take to run the team there.

Its sad, buts its the reality. There's been too many failures and, with national team deciding to hunker down in Toronto, we have to ensure that its works at the club level.
DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #37
ahuber
First One is Always Free

Something for you to consider East McCauley:

Cost is no longer the issue. The team (not the city, it should be noted) spent close to a million to bring in more seats to Clarke. If there was a price difference for a lease (which is debated, I'll admit), it has been completely negated. The goal here is to create atmosphere, which in turn will determine the long term viability of the team. In game atmosphere is what sells the game in North America.

I don't know if anyone was there yesterday, but the small crowd seemed to have more buzz to it than anything I've seen at Foote last season. The field is much larger, the turf looks way better (despite the football lines), and it's much more enjoyable to be closer to field level for games. Once their reno's (team expensed) are finished, the game day experience will be much more fun than any other place possible in the city.

Maybe that kind of experience isn't your thing, but it's what the team is going for. It worked for some of the more successful soccer cities across the United States and Canada. And I can't speak for anyone else, but I do want to see pro soccer succeed in Edmonton.