Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports, sports, and more sports! Edmonton is a sports-crazy city, and everyone has an opinion. From the Oilers to the Eskimos, from the Edmonton Capitals baseball team, the Edmonton Energy, to the Edmonton Rush and the Golden Bears and Pandas, the Rexall Edmonton Indy, not to mention all of the amateur sports this city supports – this forum is your chance to discuss, comment and review what’s going on.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Sports, sports, and more sports!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
brett-
Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Edmonton has bid for Commonwealth Games in its sight

Looks like some people are talking about the 2022 Commonwealth games being held here in Edmonton... it may not seem likely, but maybe something will come of it. At any rate, a little publicity for the city never hurt..

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...713/story.html
Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

My take on this is "been there, done that, wore the t-shirt, ate the burger". Edmonton needs to start pursuing the bigger events (e.g Pan-Am). Let the smaller cities like Regina or St. John's bid on it.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Which is bigger, the Pan-Am games or the Commonwealth Games?
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^I would have thought the Commonwealth games. The Commonwealth games will definitley bring wealthier, albeit annoying, tourists (i.e. poms).
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Prolly about the same...

The Commonwealth have more of a global reach, and they are the preferred in my opinion.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

I would think Pan-Am would be bigger because of the Americans and their media coverage. I'm not sure if the Commonwealth Games has the same prestige as before.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Speedyturtle

How about an Edmonton/Jasper Winter Olympics in 2022? We'll have 2 arenas by then and maybe we can dome Commonwealth Stadium for the big events. Ah one can dream....
Speedyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Dialog
Addicted to C2E

I'd read that, in reference to TO's bid, Pan Am is 'bigger' than the Winter Olympics; more athletes, more sporting events I think. Not a bigger cachet, tho...

Last edited by Dialog; 07-02-2012 at 11:14 AM..
Dialog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedyturtle View Post
How about an Edmonton/Jasper Winter Olympics in 2022? We'll have 2 arenas by then and maybe we can dome Commonwealth Stadium for the big events. Ah one can dream....
I've mentioned before, that I think it could be done, if, and this is the big if, Edmonton had a HSR link through Calgary to Kannanaskis/Canmore/Banff. With the mountains little more than an hour away, it works. Without that, it never will.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

What about reviving the Pan Am Winter Games?!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
bobinedmonton
Addicted to C2E

Another waste of taxpayers money in order to put Edmonton on the map.

These games are nothing more than a giant slush fund for well-heeled and well-connected business people.

Let Calgary have them.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
BalancedOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
I would think Pan-Am would be bigger because of the Americans and their media coverage. I'm not sure if the Commonwealth Games has the same prestige as before.

American Media coverage is quite minimal for the Pan Ams. Universal Sports covered the last ones and even then I had a hard time getting any real time coverage.

The Commonwealth actually has a greater broadcast coverage, just not in North America if it is overseas.
BalancedOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinedmonton View Post
Another waste of taxpayers money in order to put Edmonton on the map.

These games are nothing more than a giant slush fund for well-heeled and well-connected business people.

Let Calgary have them.
Yeah we don't want LRT money or assorted other infrastructure dollars. Give it all to Calgary.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
brett-

^not to mention the amount of money it will pump back into the local economy...

With the new arena and other developments such as the Quarters... Rossdale.. further DT infill.., I think in 10 years Edmonton could be quite a different place. A big event like this would be great in showing people the NEW Edmonton.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

^ And some good Alberta PR
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Commonwealth is bigger by just over 1000 athletes and 10-20 countries.

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 07-02-2012 at 08:50 PM..
edmonton daily photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

I cant see any politician pushing for this. The arena is a hard enough sell of taxpayers dollars.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

Well I can see this being pushed, especially by the UofA who would hope to use this event to further develop the south campus quickly. If the city made a bid for the Commonwealth games I can see also pushing for more LRT expansion money.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

The arena will already be built for 7 years when this event happens. Not even an issue.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

By 2022 Edmonton will be even much larger and since we already have the basic facilities such as Commonwealth Stadium etc etc that we will not need to build everything from scratch, it would be an easy victory for us to have.

Halifax bailed on hosting the 2014 Games after winning it and thats how Glasgow got it. Edmonton along with Alberta, and Canada can win this easy because when we hosted it the first time it put this city on the global map for the first time in regards to international sporting events. Also the Commonwealth Games are far larger now then they were when we first hosted them.

I sat in the brand new Commonwealth Stadium (when it originally only had 45,000 seats) back in 1978 watching the opening ceremonies and up to then that was the greatest feeling of being an Edmontonian in my life. We were the centre of attention all around the world back when the metro population of greater Edmonton was only 585,000 with the only other thing happening here in the summer was Klondike Days. Not bad for a "regional" major city in Canada. I was only 16 at the time and you could feel the pulse of global attention here unlike anything we experienced before. It was the greatest 14 days up to that time we ever had and we still bask in the glory.

Edmonton is too far away from the Rockies to effectively host the Winter Olympics and besides they will not build anything in Jasper because it is a national park and virtually untouchable. When Calgary got the games almost everything outdoors happened outside Banff National Park in Canmore so lets be realistic on that. As well Hinton is hardly in the mountians so it cannot be a "new Canmore" for skiing etc etc facilities. Also Calgary or Quebec City have far greater chances of getting Canada back the Winter Olympics then we do.

With Edmonton in another 10 years being even larger and more prosperous it would show even more people globally how much of a multicultural, warm, welcoming, prosperus city on this planet Edmonton has and will futher become.

Whenever Canada hosts an international event like these we "blast" the world into seeing how this is the greatest place on the planet in regards to prosperity, and the quality of life that causes people to want to live here pushing our image even further up and out, It is a no brainer.

1976 Summer Olympics Montreal, 1978 Commonwealth Games, Edmonton, 1983 Universiade Games Edmonton, 1988 Winter Olympics Calgary, 1993 Commonwealth Games Victoria, 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver/Whistler.
As well as mentioning the Pan-Am games once held in Winnipeg and soon to be held in Toronto.

Hamilton, Ontario hosted the first British Empire Commonwealth Games in 1930 and Vancouver hosted them in 1954,They became the British Commonweath games until 1978 and renamed the Commonwealth Games here in 1978.

The "Commonwealth Games" were OURS first and they need to come back home since Canada has not hosted them for decades.

This will give the info on what they are like past and present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Games

Last edited by NielCole; 07-02-2012 at 08:15 PM..
NielCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #21
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

The Commonwealth Games will still be an undercard for the Olympics, but I think it will be improved. Great Britain and Australia will be exciting to watch, as they have placed in the top ten medal count at the Olympics. India is a rising power, and South Africa will be the flagship among African nations. Could you imagine if rugby was played at the games? South Africa, New Zealand, England, Ireland, Wales and Australia would be leaders. Cricket would also be popular with India and Pakistan. Athletics with be popular with the Jamaicans at track and the Kenyans in the marathon.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

The Commonwealth Games are FAR larger than the last time we had them as even "Non British Colonial" countries have joined the Commonwealth and the older existing members have gotten far larger as well. Most sports have gone "global" anyways, even here in Canada when it comes to winning a medal we will watch cricket, rugby, soccer, and yes even lawn bowling.

Besides humanity has become far more "connected" than we used to be and the population of Canada is the most diverse on the planet. We will cheer and hope for everyone to win because that is who we are. Canadians who love first being Canadian and love being where we are descended from. If we land them in 2020 I will be a Canadian-Scots cheering on whoever has the best chance on which ever sport Canada or Scotland competes .

No they will ever be the Olympics but they are at the top of most athletes list who live in an association of countries that now number 2 billion people.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #23
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
Summer Olympics are first, Winter Olympics are second, Commonwealth Games are third Pan American Games are 4th.

Proabably because 1.2 billion people live in the Commonwealth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations

Last edited by NielCole; 07-02-2012 at 08:43 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #24
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

But how many of those 1.2 billion watch the Commonwealth Games? Ever since Victoria, I rarely hear about them in the media except for the Delhi debacles of the last Games.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I think if the games are dedicated to the glory of the British Empire, they're doomed to fail. It's been about 50-60 years since the African nations gained their independence, and I think these nations would resent any kind of colonial attachment. The Chinese community cheered when Hong Kong was returned to China in 1997.

These games have to focus on a broader vision for social change, and on the future. These athletes represent their nations and the hopes for their country. One advantage of the Commonwealth Games is that it's not the political football that the Olympics have become.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #26
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
I think if the games are dedicated to the glory of the British Empire, they're doomed to fail. It's been about 50-60 years since the African nations gained their independence, and I think these nations would resent any kind of colonial attachment. The Chinese community cheered when Hong Kong was returned to China in 1997.

These games have to focus on a broader vision for social change, and on the future. These athletes represent their nations and the hopes for their country. One advantage of the Commonwealth Games is that it's not the political football that the Olympics have become.
These games do not nearly reflect as strong on the history/glory of the past British Empire as they used to. They are a strong way for many countries to achieve stronger athletes working their way to the Olympics like the Pan American or the Pan Asian games do as well.

And here in Canada we follow the Commonwealth Games far better than the Pan American Games. Because we are one of the strongest teams in the Commonwealth and that gives us great goals/achievements to work our way up to the Summer Olympics.

The games we had here back in 1978 were not colonial in anyway shape or form, As Canada and Edmonton showed off to the Comonwealth and yes even the US! The networks evening news at the time talked about it on how successful we did running and hosting them.

There was some political issues back then as Nigeria and a few other African countries boycotted the games over the Aparthied issues that both Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) And South Africa had back then. South Africa at the time had been removed from the Commonwealth due to its racist governments and the protesting African countries boycotted because New Zealand was competing with South Africa in international Rugby tournaments.

Then but times have changed they are athletic competitions that most countries want to attend to show off.

Moscow hosted the 1980 Olympics and so many western countries including Canada bailed that they basically became the Eastern Euopean Olympics. That really doesn't happen anymore as almost all countries want to attend events like these for the positive images they project.

When it comes to issues like that most countries are now freer and will do anything to show off a positive image both domestic and globally. International athletic competitions do just that.

Last edited by NielCole; 08-02-2012 at 12:04 AM..
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #27
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
But how many of those 1.2 billion watch the Commonwealth Games? Ever since Victoria, I rarely hear about them in the media except for the Delhi debacles of the last Games.
If they take place on other side of the globe and are covered in the middle of the night during our winter because they are being held down under in the Australian or New Zealand summer, No we are not going to stay up all night and watch them but if we host them Canadian media will deluge us with the coverage because they are on our turf and we can host like no other media can. We have proven that in Vancouver. And remember the Winter Games are not followed that much by tropical countries because they really do not have a "winter" anyways. The Jamaicians do it for the publicity. and Disney will make a movie about it. Or like in Calgary an amatuer Brit will compete and have the world fall in love with someone who finished last.

I did find the Victoria Games small and not interesting, Glasgow should be large and exciting in 2014 because the mood there is building, If we get them in 2022 as I said before we will blast it out of the water. We have become very proud and loud waving our flag and Vancouver brought something out that really put Canadians on the map countries finally know who we are and what we are about. After the Pan Am games in Toronto by the time 2020 arrives we will bring another huge "international athletic love fest" that shows the world we can make them envious as all "heck....."

Delhi screwed things up because they just wanted to impress the world and they failed totally with inept construction and corruption. Malaysia did a good job because they are far more advanced than India is society wise and economically.

Last edited by NielCole; 08-02-2012 at 12:22 AM..
Old 08-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #28
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

I did some snooping there is already a Facebook page called "Christchurch should host the 2022 Commonwealth Games" We need to start one up NOW!

Some posts on it are already mentioning England wanting them again though Manchester had them 6 years ago.

Last edited by NielCole; 08-02-2012 at 03:15 AM..
Old 08-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #29
soycd
Addicted to C2E

Awesome comments, Darrel. I agree totally.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #30
BalancedOP

Expect Aus to go after them again as well.
BalancedOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #31
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
Expect Aus to go after them again as well.
Australia is hosting the Games in 2018 in Gold Coast, Queensland. No worry they are not in for 2022. As I mentioned earlier we have not had them since 1994 in Victoria it's our time again.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #32
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^I'm not sure the on going Christchurch earthquakes will have stopped by then either.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #33
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

So what are the odds of another Canadian city also bidding on this? Weren't Ottawa and Calgary in the running for Expo?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #34
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
^I'm not sure the on going Christchurch earthquakes will have stopped by then either.
The "funny/bizarre" thing is some of the Facebook postings on the Christchurch Games keep mentioning once the downtown is rebuilt. But as you said they have been hammered by repeat earthquakes and they have not started any major rebuilding to my knowledge. The talk was they were seriously thinking about relocating the city centre to a more stable place ( I have no idea if that is still on the table) I think their priority would be to rebuild the core first before trying to enlarge sports facilities.

Safety issues should be a priority over hosting a global event, Who knows? I think I will check out the press websites in NZ to see what the actual feeling is since some postings on any site as you well now are just odd.

Also being connected to NZ i'm sure you are far more concerned about a commercial, safety, economic rebuild in the next decade than Christchurch focusing on a new stadium as one of the posters on the Facebook page posted ( I read them all) Amazing how on any site people all over the world still have bizarre priorities.

Stories like this from around the globe do fascinate me I will keep watch for sure.

And as you said mother nature may not be done in that part of the world yet. Hopefully she is .....

I also emailed Mayor Mandel and the City Council to go for it since I have a gut feeling that Edmonton can bring them back.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #35
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander View Post
So what are the odds of another Canadian city also bidding on this? Weren't Ottawa and Calgary in the running for Expo?
I do not know about the other cities like Calgary or Ottawa. McMahon Stadium is way older and smaller than Commonwealth they would have to do the temp seating thing again, Ottawa's is too small and in need of a new one. Winnipeg is building a new one perhaps. Quebec City would never want a "Commonwealth Games". Halifax bailed on the 2014 after winning anyways. Regina and Saskatoon could probably do it if they split the games into the 2 cities.
Montreal your guess is as good as mine I would have no idea if they would even consider them.

Calgary could do a great run for another Winter Games but when it comes to facilities left over from the 78 Games and improved athletic facilities both in the city and in the UofA we are definitly stronger in that respect.

Lawn Bowling, Velodrome are our current need improvement issues to me.

Calgary bailed on the Expo bid, but Harper and the Conservatives killed it anyways. I have no idea about Ottawa.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #36
Doppelganger

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
Quote:
Summer Olympics are first, Winter Olympics are second, Commonwealth Games are third Pan American Games are 4th.

Population of India (2011) is 1.21 billion. Citizens of all the other Commonwealth countries constitute merely a rounding error.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #37
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
Quote:

Population of India (2011) is 1.21 billion. Citizens of all the other Commonwealth countries constitute merely a rounding error.
Thanks for the update since I was using Wikipedia for the estimate and they tend to be somewhat off. So i'm going to guess another 150-200 million or so if you start adding them up.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #38
LanceB

If we get it we can even rename the Big stadium.. "Commonwealth II Stadium" ...

i like the ring to it...
LanceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #39
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Editorial:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opini...474/story.html

A game to play without legacy?

Quote:
The major benefit to hosting a sporting event like the Commonwealth Games is the legacy it usually leaves behind in terms of infrastructure.

Swimming pools, velodromes, stadiums: such facilities are used by Edmontonians and Albertans after being paid for by the taxpayers of Canada, as part of the federal government's support for the event. Consider those legacy facilities a partial payment for the hundreds of thousands of volunteer hours necessary to make an undertaking of that magnitude run smoothly.

On that basis, an Edmonton bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games makes less sense than it did before Commonwealth Stadium was built for the 1978 Games and renovated extensively for the 2001 World Championships in Athletics. It's thus something of a surprise that Mayor Stephen Mandel supports a bid for 2022 in part on the grounds no new infrastructure is needed.

These events are a major imposition on the local populace, and this one in particular is a relatively minor player on the international sports scene because of the powerhouse countries it excludes. If Edmonton doesn't stand to gain new facilities - if the short-term benefit to hotels, taxis and restaurants is the sum total of its impact - is it worth the effort?

Of course, if the feds want to put a roof on Commonwealth Stadium, maybe then we could talk.
Old 14-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #40
brett-

I think this would only strengthen Edmonton's chances? We have the infrastructure, maybe some updates would be necessary.. but much less cost than having to completely build out new facilities. This would allow more money to be focused on legacy developments which would arguably better serve Edmontonians such as LRT, Rossdale developed right across from the aquatics centre connected by a new signature bridge, maybe a water taxi.. funicular up 104th to Downtown providing a good LRT connection to events at Commonwealth Stadium and constant events and festivals throughout Downtown supported by new developments for use during and after. And all of this (and more) probably for a much lesser cost than new facilities which would be needed in other locations.
Even though some major players are absent from the Commonwealth games, I think that it certainly has more prestige than the Pan-Am games. To be completely honest both have major international players involved, just different ones. The popularity of international sporting events like the Commonwealth games are drawing much more attention lately thanks to newer technologies and draw much more attention. To step up to a new tier of sporting events we would need the Olympics or host a World Cup final match, which likely not ever happen.

Anyways, I know the question of whether or not to bid is still in its infancy, I just wanted to share my disagreements with the article. I really hope most Edmontonians don't just blindly agree to what it argues and put in some critical thought because I think that another international event like this would mean a lot of positive things for the city.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #41
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett- View Post
I think this would only strengthen Edmonton's chances? We have the infrastructure, maybe some updates would be necessary.. but much less cost than having to completely build out new facilities. This would allow more money to be focused on legacy developments which would arguably better serve Edmontonians such as LRT, Rossdale developed right across from the aquatics centre connected by a new signature bridge, maybe a water taxi.. funicular up 104th to Downtown providing a good LRT connection to events at Commonwealth Stadium and constant events and festivals throughout Downtown supported by new developments for use during and after. And all of this (and more) probably for a much lesser cost than new facilities which would be needed in other locations.
Even though some major players are absent from the Commonwealth games, I think that it certainly has more prestige than the Pan-Am games. To be completely honest both have major international players involved, just different ones. The popularity of international sporting events like the Commonwealth games are drawing much more attention lately thanks to newer technologies and draw much more attention. To step up to a new tier of sporting events we would need the Olympics or host a World Cup final match, which likely not ever happen.

Anyways, I know the question of whether or not to bid is still in its infancy, I just wanted to share my disagreements with the article. I really hope most Edmontonians don't just blindly agree to what it argues and put in some critical thought because I think that another international event like this would mean a lot of positive things for the city.
Boy what a biased column that was! All it sounded like was that the feds should pay for everything and that Edmonton does not need to host another games. Commonwealth Staduim does not need a roof. I was at the opening ceremony on that hot sunny July day in 1978 and it was the greatest day in Edmontons history up to that time, We can repeat it and once more show the world how our fantastic city has evolved even further than that once unknown prairie city of almost 600,000 in the metro area back then, That has now doubled in size to a global energy powerhouse.

Edinburgh has hosted two Games so Edmonton can as well since both cities are global cultural destinations. Example Edinburgh founded the Fringe Theatre Festival and Edmonton thought that having our own would work, suprise! it does! Theirs is still #1 and we have the 2nd largest on the planet. Hosting two Games like Edinburgh had would just show that being a repeat is even being more successful than doing it only once. Otherwise we would have been totally happy and content winning only 1 Stanley Cup.

Last edited by NielCole; 15-02-2012 at 12:49 AM..
Old 15-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #42
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Response to editorial from Gary Shelton, executive director, Edmonton Sport Council

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opini...936/story.html