Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-topic/General Discussion Discussions not covered under the topics we currently have (a place to hang out).

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Off-topic/General Discussion

Old 06-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
thegongshow
Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Target Building Huge Distribution Centre near Calgary

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...562/story.html
Old 06-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Calgary sure is turning into quite the distribution centre
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^it has the right geographic location and rail/roads/air to do it.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Rocket252
Addicted to C2E

Port Alberta = Port Calgary
Rocket252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
oscar
Addicted to C2E

Business centre, distribution centre, power centre................doesn't really leave much for the town to the north does it......................
oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
oscar
Addicted to C2E

ooops wait......that would be blue collar hillbilly dually diesel driving rig pig centre.........
Old 06-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

^
arts centre
government centre
biofuels innovator
education powerhouse
Alex.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Pharm...
Hi Tech..
and research too
Old 06-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
oscar
Addicted to C2E

Please.....arts are a joke
Gov decisions made in Calgary
Who do you think makes the decision on the bio fuels and funds them....oohh.... Calgary right
Great to know that we Educate them and then they go to work in Calgary and the rest of the world!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
oscar
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
Pharm...
Hi Tech..
and research too
That's really stretching it now......
Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

yeah all of those medical breakthroughs are small potatoes compared to a distribution centre.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Really...

We have a small but growing Pharm industry here.... some VERY hi profile and succesful saftware creators and Innovative programs to finally turn some of the research at the U of A into marketable materials.

I think you need to stretch your knowledge base and realize that Edmonton has one of the most diverse economies in the country..
Old 06-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
RockPaperScissors
First One is Always Free

While Edmonton may be a diversified economy it's still very blue collar. It is by far the most blue collar of any of the major cities in Canada. Very few (if any) of the pharma's and companies that come out of the U of A make profits and if they do they get gobbled up by big players.

This city desperately needs to increase it's head office presence. We have to find a niche in the Canadian economy (besides construction). I wish I knew how to/or what to do to generate some ideas, but something has to be done. It will be hard with that city to the south, with the air connections, transcanada and a huge concentration of head offices.

The big news for the Edmonton today was the Helmets for Hardhats program. Meanwhile Calgary announces 40 story office towers (with another 50 story on the way) and the target distribution centre.

Makes me not want to watch the news.
RockPaperScissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
oscar
Addicted to C2E

^ Precisely.....reinforcing that if your a lunch box Larry or a Harry with a Hammer you come to Edmonton if your white collar and office you go to Calgary............not a good way to be portrayed in the media or any other light........a very unfortunate reality.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
oscar
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
Really...

We have a small but growing Pharm industry here.... some VERY hi profile and succesful saftware creators and Innovative programs to finally turn some of the research at the U of A into marketable materials.

I think you need to stretch your knowledge base and realize that Edmonton has one of the most diverse economies in the country..
What I need is to look downtown and compare it to the other Major Centres in Canada......ie....Vancouver, Calgary, Torornto, Montreal.......and it still looks as pathetic as it did 20 years ago......and everyone that travels here sees the same thing..........that's the reality like it or not.....booster or non.....lover or hater.....it is the rest of the countries perception.....and pretty hard to argue it when you have only built one new office building in 20 yrs.......as said many times before.....lot's of ******** talkers in town but no real walkers.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

part of the problem is the abundance of negativity
Old 06-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
oscar
Addicted to C2E

^ No problem is vibrant, young, energetic, educated people want to live in a like city.......which Edmonton is not......edmonton is much talk with little action.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

so you suggest we kidnap some vibrant young energetic educated people who, in turn, will bring other like-minded people?

Or should the movers and shakers here in town just cater specifically to 23yr old new graduates and ignore the rest of the population?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
Dialog
Addicted to C2E

How about more complaining?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I agree, Edmonton has a lot of catching up to do. We have to get organized with a plan.

We're doing better, but Edmonton and area have to work on collaboration.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #21
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
How about more complaining?
Want some cheese with that whine?? hehe
Old 06-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #22
deedub35
Addicted to C2E

Good old Oscar The Grouch. Shove the muppet back in the garbage can and weld the lid it shut.
deedub35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Ooooh Montreal, what a booming mecca.... wait, there's no jobs there? Every day you risk being crushed to death by ancient, shoddily built infrastructure or buildings that are breaking apart around you?

Edmonton sure does suck, with our jobs, money, huge redevelopment projects, investment in infrastructure...
Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #24
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Didn't Montreal lose most of their head offices to Toronto? And yet it's one of my favorite cities in Canada.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
thegongshow

Relax, they're building this warehouse in Balzac...
Old 06-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #26
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Edmonton surpasses Calgary as the liveable city, no doubt
AAAAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #27
KC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
ooops wait......that would be blue collar hillbilly dually diesel driving rig pig centre.........
In Balzac, they're going to live up to their namesake's reputation...

"Balzac's work habits are legendary – he did not work quickly, but toiled with an incredible focus and dedication. His preferred method was to eat a light meal at five or six in the afternoon, then sleep until midnight. He then rose and wrote for many hours, fueled by innumerable cups of black coffee. He would often work for fifteen hours or more at a stretch; he claimed to have once worked for 48 hours with only three hours of rest in the middle.[52]"
http://www.answers.com/topic/honor-de-balzac

It is going to use up 80 acres! Would we want more loss of valuable agricultural land around Edmonton? Is there even enough marginal land around Edmonton to sustain its existing growth without the loss of higher value land?

Last edited by KC; 08-01-2012 at 11:09 AM..
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #28
East McCauley
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegongshow View Post
Relax, they're building this warehouse in Balzac...
Agreed.

The Edmonton region is actually outperforming the Calgary region in overall job creation. According to the Stats Can Labour Force Surveys, between December 2006 and December 2011, the Edmonton region added new 107,000 jobs compared to 59,200 new jobs added in the Calgary region. See Table 5 here: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/bsolc/olc-c...opg=1&lang=eng

Admittedly, head offices are a different story but that's a topic for another thread.
East McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #29
thegongshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
Edmonton surpasses Calgary as the liveable city, no doubt

Agree. That's why I moved back to Edmonton from Calgary. The best thing about Calgary (the mountains) is 100km away
Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
Cal76
Addicted to C2E

Don't understimate the Govt, the refineries and especially, the University of Alberta!
After all isn't it better to build on what we have and what we're good at instead of envying others?
Cal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #31
jadzia2000
Addicted to C2E

Quote:

Blue Collar?

Hmmm....

Is that your fancy meaning of White Trash?
jadzia2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
oscar
Addicted to C2E

^ yup.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #33
jadzia2000
Addicted to C2E

Wow!!

And I thought I hated Edmonton.
jadzia2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #34
Hull534
Addicted to C2E

A Blue Collar thought for Oscar care of Bachman Turner Overdrive;

Walk your street
And I'll walk mine
And should we meet
Would you spare me some time
Cuz you should see my world
Meet my kind
Before you judge our minds
Blue Collar
Hull534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #35
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
^ yup.
You wouldn't get your shiny office towers in Calgary with out skilled, educated blue collar workers (who likely drive trucks too). I'll live the hillbilly to you, pretentious prick.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #36
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
The sad thing is, it didn't have to be that way. Here is a post of mine in the port Alberta thread:

Quote:
...Calgary doesn't have all the roads (not even a complete ring road, and complaints about the lack of a tunnel), but they have been able to build considerable storage capacity (1.8 million square feet), and are still doing it. Its easy to find excuses to not up your sleeves and work, but while YEG and its partners dithered, Calgary Airport Authority just went ahead and raised the money and built even during the financial crises (right after was the best time to build with cheap labour). Now they are so far ahead that Port Alberta will never get close to catching up. By the time the pretty consultants plans are all complete (like in post 101), we will probably be in the grip of a severe labor shortage, which no doubt will double or triple the cost compared to what Calgary Airport Authority has paid (another reason then to dither some more perhaps?). Its a horrible missed opportunity, fortune favors the bold, leaders who aren't scared to put their necks on the line / don't need a consultant to blame if things go wrong, not the timid (i.e. the incompetent). Heads should roll.
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...lberta+calgary
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #37
oscar
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
Quote:
^ yup.
You wouldn't get your shiny office towers in Calgary with out skilled, educated blue collar workers (who likely drive trucks too). I'll live the hillbilly to you, pretentious prick.
And once that shiny tower is built and for decades following filled with young white collar suit wearing wearing employees who take lunch and strolls and shopping trips in a dense vibrant active core where will you be....perhaps doing some maintenance work on that building or up north swinging that skilled hammer on another oilsands project or perhaps constructing another mega strip mall in the suburbs next to the fantastic Edmonton ring road which adds to the reason to keep people away from the core. Hmmmm which kind of city do I want.....the righteous suburban **** hole or the pretentious urban dynamic core.......looks like the cities have already made that decision on their own.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #38
oscar
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
The sad thing is, it didn't have to be that way. Here is a post of mine in the port Alberta thread:

Quote:
...Calgary doesn't have all the roads (not even a complete ring road, and complaints about the lack of a tunnel), but they have been able to build considerable storage capacity (1.8 million square feet), and are still doing it. Its easy to find excuses to not up your sleeves and work, but while YEG and its partners dithered, Calgary Airport Authority just went ahead and raised the money and built even during the financial crises (right after was the best time to build with cheap labour). Now they are so far ahead that Port Alberta will never get close to catching up. By the time the pretty consultants plans are all complete (like in post 101), we will probably be in the grip of a severe labor shortage, which no doubt will double or triple the cost compared to what Calgary Airport Authority has paid (another reason then to dither some more perhaps?). Its a horrible missed opportunity, fortune favors the bold, leaders who aren't scared to put their necks on the line / don't need a consultant to blame if things go wrong, not the timid (i.e. the incompetent). Heads should roll.
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...lberta+calgary
Bang on, while Edmonton whines and whimpers like the government town that it is the power brokers and do'ers in Calgary get it done. Shame on Edmonton.

Last edited by oscar; 08-01-2012 at 12:26 PM..
Old 08-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #39
Norender
First One is Always Free

Oscar, the urban utopia that you demand actually exists, but it's not here. You sound like a pathetic soul who, for whatever sad reason, expects the world around them to change for you to find any contentment. Gawd forbid I actually say this on this site since I'm a lurker but Edmonton will probably never transform into the urban utopia that your heart desires for any satisfaction in life. At least not for a few decades.

What keeps you here? It doesn't sound like you're from here though. The blue collar, pickcup truck populace you so disdain will only grow, certainly at a greater rate than the suit wearing white collar sector. Not all cities will be wordly, power centers. Big deal, get over it or move on. It is what it is... Sure, Edmonton could be 'better' than it is. I've been hearing this forever now and I get frustrated too but for different reasons. I myself prefer an Austin type of city for the music culture and unpretentiousness (I can't stand pretense...must be the hillbilly in my roots) and love Montreal for it's extroverted creative scene with the legendary urban vibe and food culture. Ditto for New Orleans, albeit it's dangerous but cool and real. But I choose to remain at this time.

Why remain here if 'it' only makes you miserable? The fact is you choose to stay and ultimately choose your attitude to your life circumstances. You choose to hate this demographic and look down at them, classest that you are, but it's more a reflection of you than anything. Life is bloody short and what a waste to choose to remain miserable surrounded by the low class pee-ons that populate this city

What are you waiting for?
Norender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #40
Drumbones
Addicted to C2E

And you will likely be able to find a lot of people willing to pay for your ticket out.
Drumbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #41
jizzaldo

troll troll troll your boat
jizzaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #42
psiebold1
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzaldo View Post
troll troll troll your boat
Don't dare forget to row
Harrying, harrying, harrying
To spite is like a goal?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #43
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Wow - Ballzac got a Target distribution center?

Awesome! I'm moving to Calgary for sure!
MrOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #44
Moderator3
First One is Always Free

This thread has nothing to do with raves about Edmonton so I'm moving it to General Discussions.
Moderator3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #45
KC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator3 View Post
This thread has nothing to do with raves about Edmonton so I'm moving it to General Discussions.
I guess it depends on your perspective, your sense of team.

Maybe it's time to have "Raves About Alberta" forum and to redefine/narrow the current Raves forum.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #46
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ Or start your own Connect2Alberta forum
Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #47
KC
Addicted to C2E

Now that would be interesting!

Of course, you'd need a war games section for all the fighting.