Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2011 Federal Election Forum This Forum is to gather all topics and discussions around the 2011 Federal Election. This was born out of the Jimbo thread entitled the "real issues". This forum will be archived 1 week after the end of the election.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Archived event-specific forums > 2011 Federal Election Forum

Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
jmart81
Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Leaders Debate

Was it just me, or did Iggy drive you nuts listening to him talk. He just talked on circles...you shut down parliament, you were found in contempt, repeat. I know those are important issues, but man he didn't do himself any favours tonight. The last few leaders debates I always found Gilles Duceppe to be the best leader by far, even though I can't vote for anyone in his party, and I don't agree with him on most of his policies. Harper was ok, he just was there to 'defend the wicket' and make sure nothing bad happened. Layton I think had to attack Iggy more then Harper to try and keep some of those tight NDP vs Liberal ridings.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

I thought it was a boring debate. Nothing new or novel came from any of the leaders.

Layton is always a bit of a firecracker in these things, so he was no surprise. Harper is like a robot with a political science computer as a brain. Who cares about Duceppe. Ignatieff was the only one not to come off as well as I thought he would.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
jmart81

Yep quite dull. I really think people are "meh" towards the election as a whole is because the leaders are subpar. Harper is still a robot with a weed up his butt after 5 years as a PM, Iggy is one of those snobby profs that everyone hates in school, Jack is just typical Jack, Duceppe couldn't care how this debate went (which is why he was the best one there), he is more worried about the French debate. Looks like more of the same after May 2.

Last edited by jmart81; 12-04-2011 at 09:34 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Default Au contraire

I didn't watch the debate but these university students did.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...828/story.html
EDMONTON — Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff won the televised leaders’ debate after he stopped dumbing down his arguments and started acting like himself, say the three student debaters who participated in the Edmonton Journal’s live chat.

Last edited by Glenco; 12-04-2011 at 09:34 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Jasper
Addicted to C2E

THis is what I got out of it....
Iggy needed to shift gears. He had the chance to shine, but blew it. Should have zero-ed in on Harper in more ways that one. He could have said, "Canada is not well positioned economically because of the Conservatives, it is because of the policies that the Liberals put in place for banking during the Cretien government. Imagine how much better off Canada would be economically if Harper's conservatives did not waste money on Jails, Jets and G-20's;
Harper had too much lipstick, he looked like a cheap (______)
Layton - clearly the best. Too bad he is not leader of the Liberals IMO
Old 12-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Iggy was a *****. He was a bit of foam away from barking like a rabid dog. Layton had some good zingers, especially the line to Iggy about his absenteeism. Harper was a little cold but considering it was basically him on the defensive the entire time, I think he shrugged off their best attacks with little effort, staying calm. Perhaps a little presumptuous and preachy about getting that majority, but if his advisers tell him there's voters out there that hate the constant elections, it could do it.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
whynow99

"It takes a rare kind of arrogance for the same man who shut down parliament twice rather than face an outcome he didn't want, who was found in contempt of parliament, who claims that frequent elections cause a reckless instability in the country (and yet called one himself in 2008 in violation of his own fixed-election law), whose party does everything it can to stonewall and disrupt the functioning of committees, who wanted an elected senate and yet has stacked it mercilessly, who promised us transparency and delivered the most secretive government we have ever had, ... a special kind of arrogance for that same man to suggest we entrust him with leading a majority government."
Old 12-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
whynow99

All Politicians should have to vote on all issues related to their Office/Constituency......whether this is on a Municipal/Provincial or Federal level. If they are sick or out of Town or Province there should be some dependable method for them to vote by proxy. They are hired to represent the Taxpayer. When the vote is taken there is a full slate of votes, then the voters/taxpayers can see where the Politician placed their vote and can be held accountable. Perhaps an asterisk is placed beside their vote if it is a proxy vote?
If a Politician is absent too often then this is another issue, but their vote is placed and recorded each time
Old 13-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
Redd Foxx

This debate was boring as all get out. Not only was it the same old rhetoric on all sides, but Duceppe made himself look like a complete joke!

Jack seemed to do well overall, but no one won in my opinion.
Old 13-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Dougster
First One is Always Free

My over-riding impression of the debate was the display of arrogance and contempt for his rivals (and by extension and record the Canadian people) by Harper. His continued patronizing tone while replying to all questions really grated on me. Kind of the way you'd talk to a somewhat backward child who can't understand the concept. Very, very demeaning. I guess that was his handler's advice to him to try to keep his temper under control so the voters wouldn't see the real Steven...
Old 13-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
Hull534
Addicted to C2E

Four guys talking , everybody see's what they want to see in it. Nothing changes .

The debate format is no longer fruitful , Just poor theater. I would like it if the questions were asked individually to each candidate and we could judge them by their answers alone . No reference to other candidates allowed.
Old 13-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

Question period without the backbenchers.

My favourite part of the debate was the great set design, especially the backdrop. Sort of Mondrianesque, but in neutrals, with strong horizontals, and with lots of texture and relief. The lighting was good too. Audio was excellent too for the parts I saw - no technical difficulties.

"An election is no time to discuss serious issues." Kim Campbell

No kidding.

Last edited by Jimbo; 13-04-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Old 13-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
I didn't watch the debate but these university students did.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...828/story.html
EDMONTON ó Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff won the televised leadersí debate after he stopped dumbing down his arguments and started acting like himself, say the three student debaters who participated in the Edmonton Journalís live chat.
Interesting to see. Have to disagree regarding the "stopped dumbing down all of his arguments" observation. I thought they all dumbed it down 100% of the time. I must have missed the substance.
Old 14-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
whynow99

the media is a joke , Harper never answered one question out of six from each debate , not one , he's a corporate puppet , not one question answered and the media is saying he passed the smell test ???? I think not
Old 14-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
He could have said, "Canada is not well positioned economically because of the Conservatives, it is because of the policies that the Liberals put in place for banking during the Cretien government.
He can't go there for two reasons:

- there are still a lot of people upset about adscam (in a similar way, Harper can't bring up Mulroney)
- Harper can bring up Cretien's governments goal which was to reduce corporate taxes to 25% (i.e. exactly what the conservatives have followed through on, and the Liberals are now complaining about).
Old 14-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #16
Sasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post
Four guys talking , everybody see's what they want to see in it. Nothing changes .

The debate format is no longer fruitful , Just poor theater. I would like it if the questions were asked individually to each candidate and we could judge them by their answers alone . No reference to other candidates allowed.
Agreed! If I wanted to watch Question Period I'd switch on CPAC.
Old 14-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #17
whynow99

"
The Pope and Stephen Harper are on the same stage in Rogers Stadium in front of a huge crowd.

The Pope leans towards Mr. Harper and said, "Do you know that with one little wave of my hand I can make every person in this crowd go wild with joy? This joy will not be a momentary display, but will go deep into their hearts and they'll forever speak of this day and rejoice!"

Harper replied, "I seriously doubt that! With one little wave of your hand....Show me!"

So the Pope backhanded him and knocked him off the stage!

AND THE CROWD ROARED & CHEERED WILDLY!"