Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Municipal Politics (Edmonton) All City of Edmonton political discussions happen here

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Regional Issues > Municipal Politics (Edmonton)
View Poll Results: Who is the best Edmonton mayor?
Ivor Dent 8 14.55%
William Hawrelak 4 7.27%
Terry Cavanagh 0 0%
Cec Purves 2 3.64%
Laurence Decore 33 60.00%
Jan Reimer 3 5.45%
Bill Smith 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Nemic
Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Who do you think is the best Edmonton mayor from 1970-2004?

The earliest mayor I can remember is back in the early 1990s and her name is Jan Reimer.

So I can only rank 2 mayors

1. Bill Smith
2. Jan Reimer
Nemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
ralph60
Addicted to C2E

This list shows why Edmonton has declined so much relative to our southern rivals. None of these mayors had a positive vision for the city. We are lucky to have Mandel.
ralph60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
steve semchuk
First One is Always Free

Those were the worst 2 we have ever had , held the line on tax increases big deal, while infrasctructure crumbled to pieces. Very lucky for Mandel.
steve semchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
PJC
Addicted to C2E

Commonwealth Games and LRT. What about Ivor Dent? Transit strike in his second term muddies the waters a bit but there's no question he left a somewhat positive legacy.
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
RichardS
C2E Junkie

I did like Decore overall. I agree with ralph60 though...we are lucky to have Mandel and that would have been my choice overall. While we ahve disagreed on some approaches, I can never argue that he has a go forward vision for the city and is completely open to discussion.

Decore fought FOR Edmonton from what I saw.
Old 25-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Hull534
Addicted to C2E

Under Mayor Mandel we have expanded LRT , a new art gallery and serious movement towards a downtown arena etc.

Under Bill Smith ,I recall long drawn out discussions about cat by-laws. Maybe I am being unfair but that is the impression I got .
Hull534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

I've seen more happening in the city under Mandel than I've seen in a very long time. He's the best we've had in awhile. Of the list above I prefer Decore.

The list is missing Terry Cavanagh, who was mayor twice but never got the position through an election.
Old 25-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Cavanagh is third on the list Paul
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
Cavanagh is third on the list Paul
I blame my illiteracy on the education system.
Old 25-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
Commonwealth Games and LRT. What about Ivor Dent? Transit strike in his second term muddies the waters a bit but there's no question he left a somewhat positive legacy.
yep
Old 25-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

I cannot rank who is the best mayor ever for Edmonton because I got here in 97 from ontario and also I don't know any mayor at all before 96 or earlier at all.
Old 26-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
KC
Addicted to C2E

Decore, Reimer and Smith all had to deal with a legacy of debt and declining 'real' revenues. It takes special people to do well in those types of environments.

When there's a willingness tax and spend and borrow and a willingness on the part of taxpayers to accept higher taxes, spending and borrowing - a lot of headline grabbing things can make one look relatively great. I must say, Mandel is one of the rare mayors having to deal with both and doing very well at it.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post
Under Bill Smith ,I recall long drawn out discussions about cat by-laws. Maybe I am being unfair but that is the impression I got .
I think there was a lot of indecision. Issues like Trolleys should have been put to bed, also municiple airport (not just Smith though). I liked the way Smith got Railtown going, for me, that's his biggest legacy, a mayor who started downtown revitalization / made parts of downtown attractive to regular higher income people to live in.

I haven't been around long enough to know the oithers, but judging by the state of downtown when I arrived, most of them weren't very good on the things I care about. Aside from 104 street which is moving ahead, Mandel doesn't have anything to match on the same scale for downtown yet (the low floor LRT and entertainment district could change that).

Last edited by moahunter; 26-01-2011 at 10:24 AM..
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
mi6_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
This list shows why Edmonton has declined so much relative to our southern rivals. None of these mayors had a positive vision for the city. We are lucky to have Mandel.
Agree 100%. Mandel has and will continue to do great things for Edmonton. Look at the movement that has happened with the closure of the airport, EPCOR tower, LRT expansion and the downtown arena project.
mi6_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
Nemic

What makes Laurence Decore the best Edmonton Mayor during that period?
Old 29-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Nemic

Do you agree this ranking?

1. Laurence Decore
2. Ivor Dent
3. William Hawrelak
3. Bill Smith
5. Cec Purves
6. Terry Cavanagh
6. Jan Reimer

if not, why?
Old 29-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I think I'd rank Decore the highest (B+). Perhaps the best mayor given the challenges that Edmonton had at the time. I'd give the following grades to the others:

1. Laurence Decore (B+)
2. Ivor Dent (B) - Great accomplishments with the LRT and Commonwealth Games.
3. Bill Smith (B-) - A great Edmonton booster, but held the status quo with the spending.
4. Jan Reimer (C) - A great humanitarian, but dismal with the business community.
5. Terry Cavanagh (C) - Limited time in office, but a mild success.
6. Cec Purves (C-) - Where was he when Edmonton's economy tanked in the 1980's?
7. William Hawrelak (D) - Why would Edmonton give him another chance?
Old 29-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #18
Nemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
I think I'd rank Decore the highest (B+). Perhaps the best mayor given the challenges that Edmonton had at the time. I'd give the following grades to the others:

1. Laurence Decore (B+)
2. Ivor Dent (B) - Great accomplishments with the LRT and Commonwealth Games.
3. Bill Smith (B-) - A great Edmonton booster, but held the status quo with the spending.
4. Jan Reimer (C) - A great humanitarian, but dismal with the business community.
5. Terry Cavanagh (C) - Limited time in office, but a mild success.
6. Cec Purves (C-) - Where was he when Edmonton's economy tanked in the 1980's?
7. William Hawrelak (D) - Why would Edmonton give him another chance?
Interesting analysis, The_Cat. Nice.

I have few questions that I like to see. In your opinion.

1. What are Decore's contributions to this city?
2. What makes Smith a decent mayor despite being status quo?
3. Why you gave a C to Reimer?
4. What are Cavanagh's success(es)?
5. Why you think Purves and Hawrelak do poorly during their mayoral terms?
Old 29-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #19
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I think Decore had the challenge of managing Edmonton's debt load during tough economic times. He was also leader of a sizable Liberal opposition in the Alberta Legislature.

Bill Smith gave Edmonton confidence at a time when we needed it.

Although Reimer didn't do well with business, she might have done better if there weren't duds of councillors on her team. The city also initiated the recycling program under her term, and is internationally recognized as one of the best.

Cavanagh was never elected mayor, although he had a distinguished career as a councillor.

When Edmonton's economy tanked in 1982, what kind of leadership did Purves show as mayor? Also, Hawrelak had to resign from his mayor's chair for gross misconduct.
Old 29-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #20
PJC
Addicted to C2E

^ Being a good Liberal leader has nothing to do with his accomplishments as mayor. What did he actually DO?

I think the fact that Decore has so many votes is an indication of the demographics of C2E. (Mostly under 40). He's probably the best mayor of memory for many on the board.
Old 29-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #21
Nemic

It is interesting to note that, in my opinion, 2010 election was the first time when Edmonton witnessed dirtiest politics since the 1963 election, when William Hawrelak won the re-election. His victory sparked the riot between group of students and Hawrelak's loyal mob. These students were outraged on Hawrelak's decision for going back to municipal politics despite of his gross misconduct for influenced rezoning of land he owned during his time as a mayor.

So, for those who live in Edmonton since the 1970s, do you believe William Hawrelak is one of the worst mayors in Edmonton history?

In my opinion...I believe so.
Old 29-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #22
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
^ Being a good Liberal leader has nothing to do with his accomplishments as mayor. What did he actually DO?

I think the fact that Decore has so many votes is an indication of the demographics of C2E. (Mostly under 40). He's probably the best mayor of memory for many on the board.
Who would you pick Mercucio? Also, I don't have too much recollection of the mayors before Purves, but my parents (and a few others) recall their experiences on Dent and Hawrelak. I've also done some research on past mayors.
Old 30-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #23
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

Cec Purves should not be given c- at all because you must remember that is not his fault as economy being tanked because federal liberals is the one who is responsible for alberta's mess due to NEP programs in the late 70's and early 80's. the debt in alberta is in a big financial mess that time.

Last edited by jagators63; 30-01-2011 at 12:25 AM..
jagators63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #24
PJC
Addicted to C2E

^^ I picked Ivor Dent earlier in the thread. For the Commonwealth Games and LRT.

If there's any lasting legacy from the reign of Lawrence Decore, I'm happy to hear it. Did not live here then but all I've heard is "he was a good manager in tough times".

If Mandel was in this poll I think he'd win, hands down.
Old 30-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #25
PJC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemic View Post
It is interesting to note that, in my opinion, 2010 election was the first time when Edmonton witnessed dirtiest politics since the 1963 election, when William Hawrelak won the re-election. His victory sparked the riot between group of students and Hawrelak's loyal mob. These students were outraged on Hawrelak's decision for going back to municipal politics despite of his gross misconduct for influenced rezoning of land he owned during his time as a mayor.

So, for those who live in Edmonton since the 1970s, do you believe William Hawrelak is one of the worst mayors in Edmonton history?

I gotta go with Jan Reimer. Good intentions but oversaw Edmonton during the TSN turning point for Calgary. Aided and abetted by her largely anti-business attitude. Just ask J.R. Shaw how he liked dealing with her. You can find him in either the shiny tower Shaw erected in downtown Calgary or the one they built in Vancouver.
Old 30-01-2011, 04:05 AM   #26
Nemic

Quote:
^^ I picked Ivor Dent earlier in the thread. For the Commonwealth Games and LRT.

If there's any lasting legacy from the reign of Lawrence Decore, I'm happy to hear it. Did not live here then but all I've heard is "he was a good manager in tough times".

If Mandel was in this poll I think he'd win, hands down.
I believe these are Decore's contributions to the City of Edmonton:

-Eliminated the city's Board of Commissioners (BOC) (established in 1930s, consists of 3 commissioners and the mayor)

-Subsequently gain more power to its elected city council

-Create a fiscal program that would eliminate the city's debt

-Took key major steps which began downtown revitalization (especially the Eaton's Centre which considered Edmonton's white elephant at that time)

-Won a high-profile battle with the Province of Alberta over the Edmonton Telephones, city-owned telephone company's right to a fair share of long distance revenue. Unfortunately, the Edmonton Telephones is now owned by Telus. Telus acquired Edmonton Telephones in 1995 for $467 million.

-City's recovery after Edmonton's Black Friday

Last edited by Nemic; 30-01-2011 at 04:16 AM..
Old 30-01-2011, 04:25 AM   #27
Nemic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemic View Post

I gotta go with Jan Reimer. Good intentions but oversaw Edmonton during the TSN turning point for Calgary. Aided and abetted by her largely anti-business attitude. Just ask J.R. Shaw how he liked dealing with her. You can find him in either the shiny tower Shaw erected in downtown Calgary or the one they built in Vancouver.
Well I considered Reimer an anti-business mayor and Hawrelak a greedy and corrupted mayor.
Old 30-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #28
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
You can find him in either the shiny tower Shaw erected in downtown Calgary or the one they built in Vancouver.
I don't know about the Vancouver one, but his tower in Calgary is squat and ugly. Now TELUS has a nice new tower in Toronto, Gold LEED and connected to the Arena.
Old 30-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #29
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

As easy as it would be to blame the mayors or administrations of the time, I think of the election turnouts for civic elections. How many are more than 50% of the registered voters?

I agree, if Mandel was in this survey, he'd run away with the vote.
Old 30-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #30
PJC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
Quote:
You can find him in either the shiny tower Shaw erected in downtown Calgary or the one they built in Vancouver.
I don't know about the Vancouver one, but his tower in Calgary is squat and ugly. Now TELUS has a nice new tower in Toronto, Gold LEED and connected to the Arena.
It doesn't have to be tall to be nice. In terms of whether one likes it or not, each to his own.

However it is a HEAD OFFICE in downtown Calgary of a company that started in Edmonton and left here in the early 90s due in no small part to the horrible relationship city council (led by Reimer) had with Shaw.
Old 21-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #31
Nemic

Current results from the poll

Ivor Dent (4)
William Hawrelak (3)
Terry Cavanagh (0)
Cec Purves (2)
Laurence Decore (25)
Jan Reimer (1)
Bill Smith (3)

imo these are the grades I believe based on results above and mayors' contributions and relationships with fellow Edmontonians.

Decore (A-)
Dent (B+)
Smith (B)
Hawrelak (C+)
Purves (C)
Reimer (D+)
Cavanagh (D+)

Feel free to respond my post. Agreements and disagreements.
Old 21-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #32
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC View Post
It doesn't have to be tall to be nice. In terms of whether one likes it or not, each to his own.
Maybe not, but it makes a lie of the story that Shaw left because of the Muni airport, the Shaw building in Calgary could easily have been built in Edmonton.
Old 21-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #33
cnr67
Addicted to C2E

Location: South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

I worked for the city when Lawrence Decore was mayor. He was a very polite and genuine man.
Old 21-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #34
Bill
Addicted to C2E

Where would Edmonton be if Reimer was still mayor today?
Old 21-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #35
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Where would Edmonton be if Reimer was still mayor today?
Way behind Winnipeg and Hamilton.
Old 21-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #36
Bill
Addicted to C2E

Was it under Reimer when the head offices left for Calgary?
Old 22-04-2011, 03:18 AM   #37
PJC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC View Post
Maybe not, but it makes a lie of the story that Shaw left because of the Muni airport, the Shaw building in Calgary could easily have been built in Edmonton.

??? Sorry, I don't follow your logic here.
Old 22-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #38
Rebar

Came to Edmonton in 1960, as a young adult. In 50 years, in my opinion, Stephen Mandel is by far the best mayor Edmonton has ever had. Laurence Decore would be second, and Bill Smith absolutely, bottom of the heap, dead last!!
Rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #39
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^^some people have claimed that Shaw left because the Muni airport in Edmonton prevented them from building a tall head office. But if you look at their head office in Calgary, it isn't that tall, so clearly this wasn't the reason they moved to Calgary.
Old 22-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #40
PJC
Addicted to C2E

^ It wasn't because they could build a tall building in Calgary, it was because the two airport situation (as we are all well aware) meant that oftentimes, their management and executives had to route through YYC to get to where they were going. JR Shaw's parting quote to Edmonton was, "Get one airport".

The better routes in Calgary played a huge part in Shaw's decision to move the head office there.

Last edited by PJC; 22-04-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Old 22-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #41
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

It's my understanding that Shaw butted heads with the Reimer regime on many issues, it wasn't just about flights.
Old 22-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #42
Bill
Addicted to C2E

I'm curious - was Reimer genuinely interested in diverting commerce to Calgary, and leaving the blue collar jobs in Edmonton?

Perhaps this is what was wanted in Edmonton at the time?
Old 22-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #43
richardW
Addicted to C2E

only remember Reimer and Smith, so ya not an easy choice....

Mandell is by far the best though.
Old 22-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #44
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm curious - was Reimer genuinely interested in diverting commerce to Calgary, and leaving the blue collar jobs in Edmonton?

Perhaps this is what was wanted in Edmonton at the time?
Probably more like she didn't really care if head offices stayed or went.

I can ask the inverse of your earlier question: where would Edmonton be today if Riemer had stuck to operating women's shelters and stayed out of politics?
Old 25-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #45
Nemic

This is the reason why I gave Purves a C.

One of the worst mayors in the past 40 years.
Old 25-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #46
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Smilin' Bill Smith was exactly the placebo Edmonton's business community needed to stop blaming Jan Reimer for everything - oh, and start looking in in the mirror. His best city in the best province shtick was a feel good that Edmonton needed too.

But on substance ..... well, too bad about that part.

Jan Reimer was never the goat-horned epicentre of evil that she was portrayed; a policy wonk unfraid of the big issues but tainted by her political beliefs.

Ivor Dent had similar political beliefs to Jan Reimer, but he also had smilin' Bill's feel-good and a vision (Commonwealth Games, LRT).

Cec Purves was an administrator at best - one who hated public transit. Meh

Bill Hawrelak? Twice removed from office? Please, I know people - I call them mom and dad - who are appalled that the City named a park in his honour.

So, for me, it comes down to Laurence Decore, who fought AGT and won - or Stephen Mandel, who slew the airport issue and loves public transit.

Mandel's idea to keep the dilapidated old Walterdale bridge, even when its signature successor is built is about the wackiest, wierdest thing I've ever heard of. I disagree with him on WLRT routing.

But, I honestly think Mandel has a picture in his head of a gleaming, jewel of a city that works for residents and visitors alike - and that's what he's working hard at every day to take us.

So, best? Mandel. Just, please Stephen, lose the bridge!
Old 28-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #47
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
It's my understanding that Shaw butted heads with the Reimer regime on many issues, it wasn't just about flights.
I don't think they would have butted heads at all over airport issues. Reimer favoured CLOSING the Muni.
overoceans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #48
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Smilin' Bill Smith was exactly the placebo Edmonton's business community needed to stop blaming Jan Reimer for everything - oh, and start looking in in the mirror. His best city in the best province shtick was a feel good that Edmonton needed too.

But on substance ..... well, too bad about that part.

Jan Reimer was never the goat-horned epicentre of evil that she was portrayed; a policy wonk unfraid of the big issues but tainted by her political beliefs.

Ivor Dent had similar political beliefs to Jan Reimer, but he also had smilin' Bill's feel-good and a vision (Commonwealth Games, LRT).

Cec Purves was an administrator at best - one who hated public transit. Meh

Bill Hawrelak? Twice removed from office? Please, I know people - I call them mom and dad - who are appalled that the City named a park in his honour.

So, for me, it comes down to Laurence Decore, who fought AGT and won - or Stephen Mandel, who slew the airport issue and loves public transit.

Mandel's idea to keep the dilapidated old Walterdale bridge, even when its signature successor is built is about the wackiest, wierdest thing I've ever heard of. I disagree with him on WLRT routing.

But, I honestly think Mandel has a picture in his head of a gleaming, jewel of a city that works for residents and visitors alike - and that's what he's working hard at every day to take us.

So, best? Mandel. Just, please Stephen, lose the bridge!
McBoo:

The controversy about re-naming Mayfair Park is one of my earliest political memories. You're right, a lot of people were ticked off about it, my mom and dad as well.

Having said that, a crook he may have been, but when a guy get's elected as many times as Hawrelak did, it's safe to assume that he was popular with enough people to warrant an honour.

Of course, whenever you'd make that argument to his detractors, you'd always hear the reply "Oh, he just won because all the Ukranians voted for him". As if their vote was somehow worth less than anyone else's.

Admittedly, it is quaint to remember a time when those type of old-school prejudices still played a role in local politics. (In 1983, an elderly gentleman of my acquaintance made the prediction that when Laurence Decore becomes mayor "You won't get a job at City Hall unless your name ends in "chuk" or "ski").

And you're right about Reimer not being the Lord Of Darkness her detractors always claimed. She seemed to get scapegoated for everything that went wrong in Edmonton during her tenure. I remember when whatzername threw the water at Brian Mason in a council meeting, the right-wingers were saying "That's what you get with a bunch of leftists on council". Even though the councillor who threw the water wasn't part of the left-wing faction, and Mason was.

As for Smith: I remember, early in his first term, he missed some important meeting with visiting dignataries, and tried to explain himself by saying that he had been working on a very important project, which would be announced shortly. A few days later, he announced that he was planning an Olympics bid. Which obviously went nowhere.

Such was the embarrsment surrounding that snafu that the Sun, who had been his biggest media backer, printed an editorial with the headline "Don't be afraid to ask for help, Mayor Smith!!". Obviously, they knew their man was screwing up big time, but thought it best to offer constructive sounding advice, rather than the invective they had been heaping on Reimer over every little thing.
overoceans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #49
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
.... I remember when whatzername threw the water at Brian Mason in a council meeting, the right-wingers were saying "That's what you get with a bunch of leftists on council". ...
LMAO, good old Sheila ...Sheila whatsername the registered nurse. Thanks for that memory - I needed a smile today!
Old 28-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #50
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

The main things I remember of the last few mayors was that Decore seemed to be a very decent mayor, although I was a bit young to really pay too much attention. Reimer I never liked because of her anti business position. Also, (now I don't know if this can be blamed on her but I think this started during her tenure) the rememberance day ceremonies that would usually be held outside in front of city hall at the cenotaph were moved into the butterdome and have been there since. Call me old fashioned but if it was her idea to move it indoors I would like to know why? If Canadian soldiers had to endure freezing or rainy or snowy weather for weeks on end I think those of us who wish to honour them can endure the outdoors for an hour or so. Anyways back to the mayor thing. Bill Smith was ok for the only reason that he was a cheerleader, he had a positive attitude about the city which is something we needed here after Reimer left. Now with all that said I agree that the best mayor is not on this list and thats Stephen Mandel. He has worked very hard at getting the city back on track and he has done it in so many ways. It's not too hard to see what has happened in this city during is tenure. 23ave interchange, 156 st interchange, 17 st interchange, LRT expansion to the south, Capital Blvd (currently under construction), Anthony Henday Drive, RAM (maybe), new downtown arena (most likely), etc...
Old 28-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #51
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

once mandel have retired as a mayor on next city election. will next mayor have some sort of a vision for the city here ?? will he or she share same goal as Mandel ?? that is a huge question mark on next city election but my biggest concern is envision edmonton will want to put pro muni supporter mayor in the city hall ??

that is a big question mark too ??

Last edited by jagators63; 28-10-2011 at 11:04 PM..
jagators63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #52
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I think the quality of leadership depends on the competence of people in support roles, and the participation of the public. I think that this administration has done well with recruiting Simon Farbrother as City Manager. I also like the fact that Edmonton has a 12 Ward system, rather than 2 councillors per ward for six wards (1980-2010) or 3 councillors per ward for four wards (pre-1980). Some councillors were elected by default.
Old 23-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #53
Nemic

After Mandel had done a year end talk, it reminds me of this thread (sort of speak). Here it goes.

Current results from the poll as of December 23, 2012

Ivor Dent ( 8 )
William Hawrelak ( 3 )
Terry Cavanagh ( 0 )
Cec Purves ( 3 )
Laurence Decore ( 32 )
Jan Reimer ( 3 )
Bill Smith ( 3 )

Decore ( A )
Dent ( B )
Smith ( B- )
Hawrelak ( C )
Purves ( C- )
Reimer ( C- )
Cavanagh ( D )

Feel free to respond my post. Agreements and disagreements.