Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed

Old 16-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
jcbel
First One is Always Free

Default Bedbugs!!!

So I come home last night to my condo apartment and find a notice of entry from the building manager that they intend to fumigate the unit on Monday. I have looked through the requirements from the pest control company and I have to basically turn my whole unit inside out!!!

I called the building manager this morning and she said that there are 3 units that are known to have been infested - they are fumigating more or less the whole wing of the building.

The timing couldn't be worse because I have a newborn and we already have patio furniture inside the unit because the siding of the building is being replaced... also, there will be a follow up treatment 2 weeks later so there really is no point in putting anything back!

I think a short stay with the in-laws is in order - does anyone have any experience to share with this??? (Bedbugs please, not in-laws )
jcbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

bedbugs is a growing problem in most cities in north america, it is very difficult to get rid of bedbugs from apts.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
MylesC
Addicted to C2E

As said, it's a growing issue.

My advice as a Condo Board chair is to suck it up and get through the process. The alternative - a possible infestation - is MUCH worse.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
RTA
Addicted to C2E

Unfortunately there's not much you can do to prevent bedbugs; cleanliness has nothing to do with their presence. Note that the exterminators do not "fumigate" per se; treatment will consist of a spray of diatomaceous earth around the walls and furniture, and a steam clean of your mattress and box spring. While the stuff is not toxic, it is an irritant, so best keep your newborn out of the unit for at least 48 hours after treatment.

My advice to you would be to follow the preparation instructions to the letter, and then get a confirmation inspection from your landlord or building manager. If your unit is not adequately prepared, the exterminators may not be able to spray, and you could face an eviction notice. If you're not sure about your landlord or building manager being able to vouch for you, or are unable to secure them to inspect your prepared unit, take lots of photographs of everything you were asked to do just in case.

Also note that your landlord cannot force you to pay for treatment; it is their responsibility under the Alberta Public Health Act.

Preparation is very stressful and disruptive, so I don't envy what you have to do. I wish you the best, though, and hopefully you'll only ever have to go through it once.
Old 17-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
sdimedru
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
Preparation is very stressful and disruptive, so I don't envy what you have to do. I wish you the best, though, and hopefully you'll only ever have to go through it once.
The truth!
Old 17-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
jcbel
First One is Always Free

Thanks everyone for the responses - I called the insurance company today to check on my home policy and damage to contents by vermin is excluded from my policy.

But they did open up a claim file for me to see if I can claim additional living expenses as the preparation instructions say that children and people with allergies (that's my wife) can only return to the unit 12-24 hours after treatment. It also says no bare feet on carpet for 48 hours! (Guess what's in the condo?)

The insurance adjuster will be contacting me in a day or so...

EDIT: No we are not being charged for the cost of treatment, the condo board is picking that up. Thanks for the tip though RTA!

Last edited by jcbel; 17-11-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Old 17-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Who Dat?
Partially Addicted to C2E

My old building had the same thing, we packed up all our belongings into plastic bags moved all our furniture to the middle of the room so they could spray the contours of the room, was a pain the ***** but worth it because we didn't get an infestation. The problem these days is the fact that there is a spray that the exterminators used to be able to use to actually kill the bugs plus the eggs (which is the major problem) but they are not allowed to use anymore since its toxic for 24 hours. What they do now a days won't kill off the eggs.
Who Dat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
RTA
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbel View Post
EDIT: No we are not being charged for the cost of treatment, the condo board is picking that up. Thanks for the tip though RTA!
Sorry, I assumed rental building, not condo. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat? View Post
What they do now a days won't kill off the eggs.
Steaming the mattress and boxspring will kill the bugs and eggs therein. As for eggs elsewhere in the unit, the powder residue will continue to kill any newly hatched bedbugs passing through it long after it has been applied (it is a passive process that causes the bugs to dehydrate and die, not an active chemical process).
Old 17-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

jcbel, so do you think that you can go to the in laws and not include any "extras " with your stay ?
Old 17-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Just be thankful that you have a condoboard and landord that is looking after the problem and not some slum landlord that just lets it slide.
Old 17-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
jcbel
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
jcbel, so do you think that you can go to the in laws and not include any "extras " with your stay ?
Not sure I understand your question Blueline?
Old 17-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
jebel, so do you think that you can go to the in laws and not include any "extras " with your stay ?
Not sure I understand your question Blueline?
I think the extras he is talking about is the bedbugs. Don't take any with you to the in-laws. Which is a very good point.
Old 17-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
jcbel
First One is Always Free

^Sorry it's been a long day - well, so far I have not seen any evidence of the bugs in my unit. If I was not clear they are treating our unit as a precaution.

I'm not sure we have any other solution since the prep instructions say that my family can't return to the unit for a whole day after the treatment. In effect we would have to sleep in the car (I guess any bugs that followed into the car would be dead overnight!) since going somewhere else like a motel / hotel would be a moot point.

We can't even air out the unit properly because of the freezing temperatures...
Old 24-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Yup, a growing problem. My ex had them at her place, a rental, in February. The landlord did take of it. I took major precautions at my house but just found some yesterday. Bed, mattress, sheets, and pillows are all out of the house now and I'm doing a major hunt and cleanse. I'm also hoping to get a pest management guy in ASAP.

The problem now is that they're in many places and they're really good hitchhikers. Schools are having problems because they'll come to school on one kid and go somewhere else with another. I'd advise everybody to be aware of the signs, the obvious being unexplained sores and blood smears on your sheets.

This site is an excellent resource:

http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/pestic...gs-facts.shtml
Old 24-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #15
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Bedbugs will remain the biggest reason I avoid cabs and public transit at all costs.