Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Real-Estate & Development This forum looks at specific real estate projects and developments - past, present, and future - in the Edmonton area. Here’s where to look for updates on developments, read about new projects, suggest improvements to buildings or other projects.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Real-Estate & Development

Old 17-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
condobuyer
First One is Always Free

Default oliver on the park

I'm thinking of buying a condo in this building.
Does anyone know anything about this building and whether buying a unit would be a good idea?
condobuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Is that the 30-40 suite building? If so, it was built by the Challenge Group about 10 years ago, same company that built Spirit Ridge, River Grande and Wolf Willow Manor. They're a good builder and as far as I know their projects are typically pretty problem free (there's always something), and they employ good subtrades. And I'm not just saying that because Petrin Mechanical was one of them . I worked there during rough in for a couple weeks I believe.

As usual do your due diligence, check the condo documents and financials, review the reserve fund study, and if you see an owner while viewing the suite do your best to pump them for information, but take it with a grain of salt as many people are stunningly ignorant about the operations of their own building.
Marcel Petrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
wisteria
First One is Always Free

I live just two blocks from that place.

I don't know anyone that is living there though, and I don't know anything about the building itself.

I always notice they keep the grounds really nice. Of course you would expect that of a condo but you would be surprized sometimes. That one stands out because the lawn is always kept up, a beautiful green, leaves raked in the autumn, etc.

You're only one block away from Safeway! *food is good, yes* But sadly the whole area is now over-densified. You may have to deal with a lot of local traffic.
wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
buildings
First One is Always Free

I have friends in that building. I'm told that the board is efficient and fiscally conservative and has really worked hard to have a good reserve fund, a well maintained building and good services while at the same time keeping condo fees as low as possible. The building is in excellent shape and has no major problems, I'm told. It always looks good, I think, because it is a +30yo building, has very few renters and the owners (the majority are +45) really feel that the common areas and landscaping are part of their home. I'm thinking about moving into the building myself as soon as one of the smaller units comes on the market.
buildings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
OilTastic/BigCityDude
Addicted to C2E

anyone have a photo of said building?
Old 17-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
condobuyer
First One is Always Free

Sorry no photo but thanks everybody for the info.
It helps with my decision making.
Old 18-08-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
MikeK
Addicted to C2E

@Condobuyer - check out this link below , as it's got a clickable pic of the condo building you might have in mind. It's actually part of a realtor's website, and although the suite in the link's already apparently sold, it may at least give you an idea what it's like inside one of the suites.
http://www.paulblais.ca/listing-deta...bedroom-condo/

This is just a couple of blocks north of the Shopper Drug Mart on Jasper and 114 St.
Old 18-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
condobuyer
First One is Always Free

Thanks for the photo. I have been in a few suites and really liked them. I'm just hedging because I don't know if the price being asked is fair. Probably is (just spending all that money makes me jittery) and the feedback certainly has been good.
Buying a place is always a big decision.
Old 18-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
OilTastic/BigCityDude
Addicted to C2E

ah, i've seen that b4
Old 18-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
murphys
Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by condobuyer View Post
I'm thinking of buying a condo in this building.
Does anyone know anything about this building and whether buying a unit would be a good idea?
I have been living in Oliver on the Park for 4 and half years. What do you want to know!!!

Last edited by murphys; 18-08-2010 at 07:48 PM..
murphys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
OilTastic/BigCityDude
Addicted to C2E

@murphys.....is it quiet there? no paper walls and floors? loud parties? car thefts?
Old 18-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
murphys

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilTastic/BigCityDude View Post
@murphys.....is it quiet there? no paper walls and floors? loud parties? car thefts?
¸

Well that depends. I live on second floor facing courtyard and I am close to the main back door, so I get the sound of the door shutting firmly, I also have to listen to the big garbage trucks on Mondays and Thursdays, but I work so it isn`t too often I am home on these days. There has been an apartment getting renovated into condos across the street that has a big dumpster that been bit bothersome because of dumpster divers, but it is just about finished and will be removed. So in other words it depends on which way you face. Best to face the front or the Kinnard Park. The builiding itself is very quiet and is very well maintained. I live in the smallest unit 733 sq. ft., but I have everything I want, hardwood floors, air conditioning (not all units have this),gas fireplace, garburetor. I like being so close to Oliver Square and I walk to work downtown. Anything else you want to know!!! Very friendly people live here too!!!
Old 18-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
murphys

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilTastic/BigCityDude View Post
I forgot to tell you, we did have a couple of cars broken into in our underground parking about 3 years ago, but that was because someone living here was careless and when leaving the parkade didn`t wait until the door shut before driving away. There are good number of retirees living here and some of them do some maintenance and are on the condo board and from what I hear generally keep an out for anything suspicous that should be reported.
Old 19-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings
because it is a +30yo building
No, it's somewhere around 10 years old, give or take one or three.

Unfortunately car break-ins can happen in virtually any condo building if someone pulls away from the door before it's closed, has their opener stolen, and so on.

If people living in the building are doing work on it, and this applies to any condo, I certainly hope the board is aware of the legal liabilities involved and is carrying some form of insurance. Even for something like clearing snow it's often not worth it to save a few hundred bucks a month and have suite owners doing it, because there's a one in a million chance that someone will slip, fall, and sue the association which may or may not have sufficient liability insurance.
Old 19-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
buildings
First One is Always Free

by +30yo build I mean residency is restricted to persons 30yo and up.
buildings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Ah, I misunderstood, thanks.
Old 19-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
murphys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings
because it is a +30yo building
No, it's somewhere around 10 years old, give or take one or three.

Unfortunately car break-ins can happen in virtually any condo building if someone pulls away from the door before it's closed, has their opener stolen, and so on.

If people living in the building are doing work on it, and this applies to any condo, I certainly hope the board is aware of the legal liabilities involved and is carrying some form of insurance. Even for something like clearing snow it's often not worth it to save a few hundred bucks a month and have suite owners doing it, because there's a one in a million chance that someone will slip, fall, and sue the association which may or may not have sufficient liability insurance.
I live in the building and it was built in 2002. Age of occupancy is a restriction of 30 yrs.
Old 27-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #18
bonhommeglenn
First One is Always Free

Default Oliver on the Park

I have been in the building 4.5 years and on the board for nearly 4 years. The board is very responsible and committed, and our reserve fund is healthy and growing.

We have not had a security incident for almost two years, and those in the past were restricted to minor thefts from the parking gagage. We have taken a number of steps to enhance security over the years.

The average age of the residents is dropping as younger people move in. However, the board and management company vigorously enforce the over 30 age provision.

The suite walls are very well insulated, and I never hear sound from adjacent suites. Of course, you can hear footsteps from a neighbor above you if you are not on the top floor, but the extent of noise will depend on your neighbor's flooring materials and personal habits. Exterior noise from occasional sirens and pedestrians is a fact of life in the city. Car traffic is not much of an issue, as we are on a quiet street.
bonhommeglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonhommeglenn View Post
However, the board and management company vigorously enforce the over 30 age provision.
And how exactly do you enforce this?
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #20
OilTastic/BigCityDude
Addicted to C2E

^^^ i suppose it's like those over 45 condos on the market....you just have to give proof of age like at the bar if you just turned 18.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #21
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

I don't understand how it can be legally enforced. You can't legally stop someone from purchasing real-estate because they are too young/old for your artificially created age threshold, can you?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #22
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^Can you restrict pets in buildings with certain bylaws?

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #23
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
^Can you restrict pets in buildings with certain bylaws?
Ownership of pets isn't protected under the Charter. Apple and pineapples.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
noodle
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
I don't understand how it can be legally enforced. You can't legally stop someone from purchasing real-estate because they are too young/old for your artificially created age threshold, can you?
Anyone can own the property. Residing in it (and therefore accessing/using the common property shared by all of the owners of the condo) requires you becoming party to an additional agreement (the condo bylaws). Said agreement will also lay out the consequences of infractions.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #25
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
Anyone can own the property. Residing in it (and therefore accessing/using the common property shared by all of the owners of the condo) requires you becoming party to an additional agreement (the condo bylaws). Said agreement will also lay out the consequences of infractions.
So you're saying the Charter doesn't protect individuals against discrimination by age? My understanding is that the Charter can only be enforced in the public domain, and since ANYONE can OWN real-estate, I would argue that a condo building could be considered public domain and that a condo board/association has no legal grounds to stand on when discriminating by age.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #26
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^there is no discrimination by age when you sign an agreement saying that you will respect the wishes of other residents and behave in the manner they have decided to behave.

If you don't want to live in an adult building with an age restriction, then don't live in one. We don't have to discrimnate against those who do want that option though by outlawing their choice.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #27
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

But again, would courts enforce these age limitations? I think it would be quite easy to make a case against them if someone had enough time/money on their hands.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #28
sws
First One is Always Free

The Charter wouldn't affect this particular case. It only restricts the ability of governments to act in certain ways, i.e. the ability to discriminate based on grounds like age, sex etc. You'd have to check with the local Alberta Human Rights legislation to see if there is a bar against discrimination on age in matters such as housing. Plus you would also need to distinguish between situations of renting and owning. There are probably more restrictions on the ability of a landlord to refuse to rent to someone based on age than there are on the ability of a condo board to enforce sales covenants meant to maintain a certain age bracket within the building.
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #29
bonhommeglenn
First One is Always Free

Default Condomium Age Restrictions

On a general note, there are housing complexes all over Canada and the USA that have minimum age restrictions, especially for seniors or near seniors (e.g., 55+).

With respect to Alberta, if you look under the FAQ: Condominium Corporations section of the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission website (www.albertahumanrights.ab.ca), you will find the following question and answer:

Q: Can condominium corporations restrict use of facilities based on age?

A: Yes. Age is not a protected ground under Section 4 of the HRCM Act.
bonhommeglenn is offline   Reply With Quote