Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed

Old 16-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
howie
Addicted to C2E

Default Who has the best "package" rates - Shaw or Telus?

I'm about to take delivery of a new HDTV and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/experiences with the two majors in town on the package deals they offer. At present, my TV comes via Shaw (ex Star Choice) satellite, and my phone and internet are Telus. Over to you, folks.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Shaw's HD is currently better, especially when you consider what options you get with the HD Turner and are thinking of a PVR option.

But if your looking for a best deal type scenario, take one offer, and counter it to the other one. (ie: Shaw will give me a free HDTV w/ PVR, what will you give me if I choose you?) Play them between each other. You'll find the best deals when you bundle your other services.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Rocket252
Addicted to C2E

We just bundled all our services with Shaw and added Shaw internet Extreme for the same price as Shaw plus Telus.
Rocket252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
Shaw's HD is currently better, especially when you consider what options you get with the HD Turner and are thinking of a PVR option..
I think it depends. We had everything with Shaw (TV, Phone, Internet), and moved everything to TELUS. Net result after the dust settled was:

- an upgrade to HD
- an upgrade to a digital unit for bedroom
- an upgrade to PVR (don't know how we ever lived without this, and without HD)
- $70 per month less every bill (dropped from $190 to $120 - we have a few speciality channels and long distance calling)
- More channels
- 3 months free (that's $570, which more than covers the "penalty" for having locked in if we ever go back)
- A better wifi system from the basement (the non integrated shaw one kept going down)
- free virus scanning
- Better menus

Not bad. Probably the same if you move the other way. I'll move back if Shaw gives a good offer one day, but it pays to bundle everything with one provider and change provider once in a while.

Last edited by moahunter; 17-12-2009 at 10:49 AM..
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

The HDPVR shaw provides you with is better. You can actually record stuff while watching another channel!! You can't do this with TELUS HDPVR.
Old 17-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

^ that is true but rumor has it that TELUS tv will be doing a major upgrade in a few months which will massively surpass Shaw. Options like recording 4 channels at the same time and other features only seen on systems in the US. Here is hoping, I have been with Shaw Direct since 98 and cannot wait go change as their "new" firmware promised out years ago is still "coming soon".
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

That would be a major upgrade.

The reason why you can't record and watch more then one show at once is because of limitation of bandwidth.

I'll believe TELUS fixes this problem when I actually see proof. They would need to upgrade their whole network to dsl2+
Old 17-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
noodle
Addicted to C2E

Telus' solution to their technical limitations: resell rebranded Bell Satellite service.

The only system that approaches what Hilman's describing is FIOS from Verizon, but that's FTH service, a bit different from our DSL or Cable. A firmware fix isn't going to make 4 channels fit into one channel's worth of space, without changing compression methodologies. As Telus is already using pretty current compression, the only way to reduce the space taken is to drop detail like the BBC has (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8415636.stm) much to the chagrin of the people watching it...

Bell's getting ready to move to their MPEG4 (think modern blu-ray compression schemes) compression a la Dish Network in the US. That's the sort of move that'll let them squeeze in 4 channels into the space an oldschool MPEG2 (think oldschool dvd compression scheme) compressed stream.

The only major IPTV provider like Telus in the US is AT&T U-Verse, and they share the same technical limitations that Telus does. There's only so many ways to utilize the limited bandwith provided by DSL.
Old 17-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

^ From what I have heard it will be on the TELUS TV platform and not TELUS Satellite (Bell) and uses the same technology as Verizon (FiOS).

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential...ls/Details.htm

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential...t_Overview.htm
Old 17-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
noodle
Addicted to C2E

FIOS involves ripping out your copper phone wiring and installing fibre optics to the house, requiring far more than a "firmware upgrade". See how long it's taken for FIOS rollouts in the US before you start thinking it's just around the corner.

Shaw is more than capable of answering the Fibre-To-The-Home. The fastest home internet connections available in North America currently are DOCSIS 3.0-based cable modems, fed by Fibre-To-The-Node, with traditional cable wiring taking it the last mile. Far more suitable for existing & multifamily housing.
Old 17-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
The HDPVR shaw provides you with is better. You can actually record stuff while watching another channel!! You can't do this with TELUS HDPVR.
Yes, but we were paying $70 more per month for no PVR from Shaw (I can't believe some people have been dumb enough to pay more than $600 for a PVR from Shaw when you can get one for free). As to the TELUS PVR, you can watch a recording while it is recording, and you can go to the other room. The 4 line thing sounds neat though, if that is coming.
Old 18-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
Kevin_Foster
Addicted to C2E

the user interface on Shaws HD PVR is incredibly slow, overcomplicated and ugly. They need to buy boxes with better designed and faster menus.

But the service is good.
Kevin_Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
brow
First One is Always Free

[QUOTE=moahunter;245263]
Quote:

- an upgrade to PVR (don't know how we ever lived without this, and without HD)
- $70 per month less every bill (dropped from $190 to $120 - we have a few speciality channels and long distance calling)
-
Did Telus actually give you a PVR or how did this work? I'm looking at my Shaw bundle bills lately and I'm wondering if they are the best value anymore.
Did they call you or did you call them?
brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^They called me. Normally I hang up the phone, but the offer was too good. I haven't regretted the move. I think I might be renting the PVR ($5 a month or similar, included in the $120). Doesn't really matter to me if I own or rent though, these things outdate pretty fast, soomething better will be around in 3 years time.

I was told by the TELUS person installing the TV that the packages are very good, because TELUS needs to reach certain viewership levels to get more channels - i.e. they are subsidizing it a bit at the moment.

If I were you, I would give TELUS a call, and see what they offer you if you move everything to them. Like car insurance, I think it pays to check the market every so often, if you just stay a loyal customer, you will get ripped off.

Last edited by moahunter; 19-12-2009 at 10:03 PM..
Old 19-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

I too am with Shaw and have been toying with the idea of buying a PVR from them.
Not to sure what Telus charges for monthly rates but I know they say you will save money if you switch over to them. That maybe so for the first three months but you should watch that you do not end up paying the same as before. At one time Telus would give free computers providing you signed a contract for three years.My phone and internet are with Telus. The only reason I do not have my T.V. in a bundle with them is that I do not want one company to have a monopoly on it nor do I want to get locked into a contract.
Old 20-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #16
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^when I first signed up for TELUS, they give us lots of channels for the first few months, then you drop down to the package you signed up with (sort of a tease). Originally I was promised about $105 a month (you might get better or worse, depends if you have any channels you "need"), but I decided I wanted a slightly better package and ended up at $120 per month. It is still a great price, much less than I was paying shaw for, I now have more channels than I did with Shaw, and a PVR, and HD, and I am paying much less. It doesn't make any sense to pay for a PVR when by switching providers you can pay less per month and essentially get one for free.

TELUS manages the Shaw cancellation (you don't have to tell them). On the contract, I didn't sign anything, but I did agree to pay a "lock in price" fee which is a 3 year cancellation fee (I think around $150). As mentioned above though, the first free months free from TELUS more than pays for that if I get offered a good deal by Shaw and go back (which I might in a few years time, hopefully they will have improved their menus to match TELUS by then). By bundling everything, you get a much better deal, and can always change provider later.

Last edited by moahunter; 20-12-2009 at 07:42 AM..
Old 20-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #17
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

If you want a free PVR from Shaw, and you are an existing Shaw customer in good terms, here's a good way to do.

Call them, and tell them about the fantastic offer you just got from Telus offering you a free HD PVR and etc etc, bundled rates, better prices. Shaw 7 times outta 10 will offer you a free HD PVR as a retainer attempt.
Old 20-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^Bang on. Anyone who pays $600 to Shaw or anybody else for a PVR or HD, is being screwed royally, which is what cable providers, whoever they are (Shaw, TELUS or Bell), will happily do to loyal (i.e. "dumb") customers. Anybody who only has digital right now, should have PVR and HD for the same money (and probably less).
Old 21-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #19
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:

The reason why you can't record and watch more then one show at once is because of limitation of bandwidth.

I'll believe TELUS fixes this problem when I actually see proof. They would need to upgrade their whole network to dsl2+
What? It has nothing to do with bandwidth, at least with Shaw and cable TV services. If you can only watch/record a single show at the same time, it's because your box only has one tuner in it. If you can do two, it has two tuners. It's that simple. At least with digital cable through Shaw. You're getting every single channel at the same time, and your tuners pick which channels to sort out from the whole mess to watch or record.

Telus TV I have no idea how it works, however. I believe that satellite services work similarly to Shaw: it's all about how many tuners your box has in it (there might also be limitations on how many tuner boxes can be hooked up to a single dish, as well). Telus isn't traditional cable, so it's possible they're only sending you the channel you're watching and none others. But with cable, you're always getting all the channels, even if you're not watching them.
Marcel Petrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #20
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
If you want a free PVR from Shaw, and you are an existing Shaw customer in good terms, here's a good way to do.

Call them, and tell them about the fantastic offer you just got from Telus offering you a free HD PVR and etc etc, bundled rates, better prices. Shaw 7 times outta 10 will offer you a free HD PVR as a retainer attempt.
I am very tempted to try this.
Do you know anyone it has worked for?.
Old 21-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #21
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
Quote:

What? It has nothing to do with bandwidth, at least with Shaw and cable TV services. If you can only watch/record a single show at the same time, it's because your box only has one tuner in it. If you can do two, it has two tuners. It's that simple. At least with digital cable through Shaw. You're getting every single channel at the same time, and your tuners pick which channels to sort out from the whole mess to watch or record.

Telus TV I have no idea how it works, however. I believe that satellite services work similarly to Shaw: it's all about how many tuners your box has in it (there might also be limitations on how many tuner boxes can be hooked up to a single dish, as well). Telus isn't traditional cable, so it's possible they're only sending you the channel you're watching and none others. But with cable, you're always getting all the channels, even if you're not watching them.
uhh that's not how it works with digital cable. Analog signal, yes. and my post you were quoting, was a reference to TELUS HD PVR.
Old 21-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
danimalrex
Addicted to C2E

^^It worked for us, but you should be prepared to cancel your service when you call. We called, they didn't give us the offer, so we set a cancellation date (try to get 30 days). A week later they called us up and made us the offer (free HDPVR and a few months of free stuff), so we cancelled the cancellation order.
danimalrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
Quote:

I am very tempted to try this.
Do you know anyone it has worked for?.
Yes...
Old 21-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #24
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

^It's a great idea.
Maybe after the Xmas rush I will give them a call.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #25
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

i have booked telus tv for an install in a couple days.

i'll be paying just under $30 a month for an HD PVR, the HD sports package, and no contract. i intend on cancelling after the olympics are over. we don't watch a lot of tv, but the wife insisted we have cable for the olympics. that price is a 6 month special, after the 6 months, i think it would bump up to $48 a month.
we have internet with shaw. its possible we could bundle the internet, tv and phone with telus and be paying much less than our current telus phone + shaw internet bill. we're not heavy bandwidth users (on either internet or tv), so it might be worth looking in to. i'll pull that card out when i cancel.
nobleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #26
brow
First One is Always Free

I did call Shaw and told them that Telus is offering some real good packages. I did end up getting a "free" PVR and a 2nd digital TV terminal, plus HD programming, plus a few other odds and ends at quite a reduced rate. In fact they beat Telus by quite a bit for the bundle. Ending up paying around $60 less per month than I am currently paying. They called it a loyalty offer for long term clients. Happy to be staying with them and glad they can be competitive in the market.
Old 25-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #27
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^Funny thing is, they are only loyal to those who threaten to leave, all the while, riping other loyal customers off and charging them through the roof for PVR (although I am sure TELUS and Bell would do the same). As mentioned earlier, very similar to the insurance business - I saved over a thousand dollars when I changed insurance providers.
Old 25-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #28
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
(although I am sure TELUS and Bell would do the same).
^ Bingo.

I prefer to support Shaw, because Shaw still employees a Canadian workforce too. From sales, to internet technical support to the person that comes to your door to install or repair. No shipping jobs off to Philippines or India.
Old 20-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #29
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
^ that is true but rumor has it that TELUS tv will be doing a major upgrade in a few months which will massively surpass Shaw. Options like recording 4 channels at the same time and other features only seen on systems in the US. Here is hoping, I have been with Shaw Direct since 98 and cannot wait go change as their "new" firmware promised out years ago is still "coming soon".
Telus TV expected to get an upgrade in February
Posted by digitalhome on January 18, 2010 ·

IPTV provider Telus TV is expected to roll-out a new high definition personal video recorder (HD PVR), new firmware for existing top boxes, and a new electronic program guide in February.

Details are sketchy at this time but Digital Home has learned that Telus has been testing the new equipment and firmware for months under the codename “Komodo.”

The company’s IPTV offerings are similar to digital cable or satellite television except that tv signals are distributed to viewers using a high speed internet connection over phone lines rather than through a cable or satellite connection.

Currently Telus has over 137,000 IPTV subscribers in British Columbia and Alberta.

Other rumoured features of the “Komodo” build of IPTV equipment is whole home PVR functionality, similar to what recently announced by MTS , which will enable set top boxes throughout the home to stream recording’s from the PVR.

The following is a screenshot of the new Electronic Program Guide (EPG) currently being tested for roll-out next month.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2010/01/te...e-in-february/
Old 20-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #30
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^Shaw need to update the guides quicksmart. I was amazed how much better the TELUS guide was when I changed over, and judging by the picture in the link you posted, it will get better:

Old 20-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #31
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

I hope their search feature improves... cause the current search feature is useless.
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #32
MJ
Addicted to C2E

Shaw's interface is on the stinky side. The Video on Demand feature, in particular, is horrendous.

When faced with this question myself back last September, I chose Shaw over Telus. Slightly better HD selection over Telus plus the clincher was Centre Ice and NFL Sunday Ticket. Though I was disappointed with Shaw's NFL Sunday Ticket as I was forced to watch more than a couple Packers and Saints games in SD when I knew damn well there was an HD feed coming in on Bell in Canada.

Given the Oilers stinkage, I've been using Centre-Ice more than ever before. But I have not used a SD channel for hockey -- one regular season game in the NHL isn't worth enough.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #33
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Its finally here!!!!!!!!!!! Good bye Shaw Direct and hello TELUS TV, will be nice to see a company that delivers instead of the empty promises on Shaw Direct.

A few features:

- 1 PVR is all you need - record* and play back your shows on up to 6 TVs in your home with a digital box.
- Record up to 3 shows simultaneously from any room - you never need to miss a show again.
- Pause a recorded program in one room and pick it up from the same spot in a different room.
- Record your favourite series with the touch of a button.
- Get PVR functionality from any TV when watching recorded programs - Pause, replay, rewind, fast-forward.
- Picture-in-picture.
- PVR stores up to 115 hours of HD or 295 hours of standard definition programming (320gb HDD - an industry leader).
- Instant Channel Change (40 ms delay)

http://www.telus.com/content/tv/iptv/

Last edited by Hilman; 02-02-2010 at 08:25 AM..
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #34
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^wow, that looks neat. Although features we probably wouldn't use in our house (two tvs seems to work ok, we can still record and watch in the other).

TELUS is definitley moving ahead faster than Shaw though. It will be interesting to see if Shaw decide their customers are important enough to upgrade their archaic interface and technology, or if they will keep bleeding customers?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #35
LoftGuy
Partially Addicted to C2E

Sounds good....friend of mine in Winnipeg has the MTS version and loves it...says it blows Bell away....
LoftGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #36
MJ
Addicted to C2E

I see the Telus channel lineup now has CNN HD, SportsNet Pacific HD and Ontario HD which Shaw does not offer.

I still don't see options for NHL Centre Ice or NFL Sunday Ticket, but the system seems worlds ahead of this archaic Shaw system.

I wonder if that picture-in-picture feature words with HD channels or is limited to just SD.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #37
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

I booked the new TELUS iptv for February 10th and they are charging new customers $249.50 for the PVR and $149.25 for the HD box. Sounds very good to me, my DVR from Shaw Direct was $700 back in the day!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #38
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^If I was you, I would call and cancel. Tell them that Shaw or someone else offered you free ones. I got from TELUS for "free" (well, there is a little $5 rental or similar in what is a very low price).
Old 03-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #39
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

^ Those prices are for owning the hardware and has no monthly rental fee.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #40
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

moahunter, you realize that for the same price, you could rent an HD PVR from shaw?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #41
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^I was paying more than $50 more than I currently am, per month, for Shaw, without HD and without PVR (I now have both).

Why would anyone spends hundred of dollars, to own the hardware, when you can rent it for $60 a year? Whatever you buy will be obsolete in a couple of years time anyway.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #42
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

The new PVR is $15/month to rent on a 3 year contract. I went for no contract and have no rental fees, the $249.50 PVR will be "paid for" in 16.6 months whilst you are still paying the $15/month. The HD box is $10/month or $149.25 to purchase for new customers (14.9 months).

http://www.telus.com/content/tv/iptv...m/hardware.jsp
Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #43
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
whilst you are still paying the $15/month.
no, I got a better deal than that. On the "contract" fear (they call it a price guarantee), mine has a termination payment, but the three months free I was given more than paid for that.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #44
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

IPTV: television with all the trimmings

With new Telus service, your home TVs act like networked computers

BY STEVE MAKRIS, EDMONTON JOURNAL FEBRUARY 8, 2010

Your home telephone line is now playing a major role in high-tech home TV.

With the launch of the newest Telus TV service last week, western Canadians can enjoy high-definition TV with all the trimmings, in up to six TVs at home.

Full story:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...672/story.html
Old 23-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #45
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

Default Damning report on Canuckian Internet

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...nd-report.html
Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #46
brow
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I'm about to take delivery of a new HDTV and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/experiences with the two majors in town on the package deals they offer. At present, my TV comes via Shaw (ex Star Choice) satellite, and my phone and internet are Telus. Over to you, folks.
Hey there, hoping to get some current (Feb 2011) feedback on bundle offerings from Shaw and Telus.

For the past year I have been on a promo rate with Shaw @ $109 for high speed extreme, tv with Hd channels, and the good phone package. Sorry I don't have a bunch of details but it was definitely a good rate. Shaw just called me up telling me the promo rate is gone and I am going up to $198/mo!!! This includes $15/mo for the PVR I was supposed to get for free rental for three years. The rate and promo stuff I can understand but they have ticked me off about the PVR rental. They did offer it to me for three years now they want me to pay rental on it after one year.

So I am going to call Telus and see what they can do for me but would appreciate some feedback. TIA
Old 20-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #47
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

why worry about which is best shaw or telus ?? but I can tell you that anyone is entitled to their opinion which is best for them, so it is same with wireless carrier cellphones too.
Old 20-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #48
brow
First One is Always Free

The debate about who is best is never ending. Seems like there are pros and cons for both services and people who like and dislike each as well. My big thing and I should have clarified is I am looking for pricing information comparing apples to apples. IE who is offering the best pricing right now?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #49
KC
Addicted to C2E

The Ugly Numbers Behind Unbundled Cable TV - Businessweek

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...cable-tv#r=rss
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #50
Chaser
First One is Always Free

I think Shaw's is a little better than Telus. I really can't say as my wife works for Shaw and we get a ridiculous deal with our phone, tv and internet.
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote