Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.


Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
csmike
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default Top 5 worst neighborhoods in Edmonton

What do you guys consider to be the top 5 worst neighborhoods to live in? Criteria can include things like low income, run-down housing, and crime.

I don't have a top 5 list, but I would say Millwoods due to the gang violence and Boyle Street would be among the top 5, as well as the 118th ave area from 97 ST to Wayne Gretzky Drive (dont know what that neighborhood is called).
csmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
whynow99
Partially Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Millwoods is 10 square miles....almost the same size as red deer....if u are going to identify good or bad areas please be more specific. Blue Quill is part of Millwoods right?
__________________
Dave Rutherford is a small, small person....sucking up to get a Government appointment obviously.
whynow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
jstock
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Meadows
Default

Jasper Place
Abbottsfield
Alberta Ave
McCauley
The Quarters
__________________
$2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 Anyone have a dime?
jstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Jeremy
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstock View Post
Jasper Place
Abbottsfield
Alberta Ave
McCauley
The Quarters
Lived in Abbottsfield for 6 years, and it is not nearly as bad as people think.
__________________
You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” -- Mayor Stephen Mandel
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
RyanS
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Default

Yup Millwoods is a pretty danger place, especially if your scared of Sobeys, young families and cul-de-sacs.....
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Doug
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: edmonton, alberta
Default

What is the purpose in a thread listing the five WORST neighbourhoods? How about the five BEST neigbourhoods. Why do we so often gravitate to the negative?
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
IanO
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Downtown Edmonton
Default

^no kidding.

although i hear there is a very high correlation between proximity to WALMART and "worst neighbourhood"
__________________
inspiration or mediocrity

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
240GLT
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
Default

^ that's totally incorrect Ian.

Seems like every six months or so someone decides they want to start listing what they perceive to be bad neighborhoods, then a bunch of other people get all uptight because for the most part the 'badness' of most of these neighborhoods is overstated and usually just a product of people who never visiting them writing about something when they don't know what they're talking about (shocking on C2E, I know)
240GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
IanO
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Downtown Edmonton
Default

^it was sarcasm 240... in response to what this thread is trying to do.
__________________
inspiration or mediocrity

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
240GLT
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
Default

^ Sorry. I have a headache this morning and seeing this thread started didn't help al all. I should probably just ignore it.
240GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
nobleea
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edmonton
Default

MacEwan, Hollick Canyon, The Hamptons....oops, sorry.
nobleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: May 2008
Default

My worst 5 neighborhoods:

Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates
- it is far from everything in the city (except West Edmonton Mall and the big Wal-Mart, but it's on the other side of the Henday for gwar's sakes!)
- the houses are all of the boring cookie-cutter variety, and are all hidden from the street behind garages and acres of driveways
- there is nowhere to walk to/from: you have no choice but to drive everywhere for groceries, banking, school, etc. (which is part of the reason why seemingly everyone there is getting obese, and all the drive-thru banks, coffee shops, fast food, etc. doesn't help)
- public transit service is garbage and taxi fares are a fortune if you are going anywhere (so everyone has to drive all the time)
- the ugly houses and condos there cost a fortune, and offer very little benefit
- lack of trees

Terwillegar
- See "Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates", except it is a bit worse because it is not close to the big mall, but it is at least on the "good" side of the Henday.

Twin Brooks
- See Terwillegar

MacEwan/Rutherford/Blackmud Creek area
- All the cons that the above neighborhoods have
- people torch millions of dollars worth of condos and homes that are still under construction
- Far from absolutely everything, but LRT at Century Park in 2010 will help that area improve

Sherwood Park (although it may not count because it's technically not part of Edmonton)
- see above (except there are more trees)
- downwind from the industrial area
- public transit is garbage
- teens all do drugs there because it is so far from Edmonton for kids that there's nothing else to do

Last edited by MrOilers; 11-08-2009 at 09:26 AM..
MrOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
Top_Dawg
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Downtown
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates
- it is far from everything in the city (except West Edmonton Mall and the big Wal-Mart, but it's on the other side of the Henday for gwar's sakes!)
- the houses are all of the boring cookie-cutter variety, and are all hidden from the street behind garages and acres of driveways
- there is nowhere to walk to/from: you have no choice but to drive everywhere for groceries, banking, school, etc. (which is part of the reason why seemingly everyone there is getting obese, and all the drive-thru banks, coffee shops, fast food, etc. doesn't help)
- public transit service is garbage and taxi fares are a fortune if you are going anywhere (so everyone has to drive all the time)
- the ugly houses and condos there cost a fortune, and offer very little benefit
- lack of trees

Top_Dawg agrees. Far be it for him to disparage anybody's lifestyle but everything you say is true.

Top_Dawg can't help but notice that anybody you meet from The Hamptons / Lewis Estates quickly proves to be really annoying. And conversely, really annoying people seem to be fixated on living in
The Hamptons / Lewis Estates.

To boot, because it's so far from everything many have turned the River Cree into their local pub. And instead of waddling their fat ***** across the highway, they drive there. Amazing.
Top_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
moahunter
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
My worst 5 neighborhoods:
Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates
Terwillegar
Twin Brooks
-MacEwan/Rutherford/Blackmud Creek area
Sherwood Park (although it may not count because it's technically not part of Edmonton)
Great post! I would subsitute Summerside for Terwilligear (I quite like Terwilligear towne, I think that part is well done, with garages at the back, townhouse options, etc.). Also, Twin Brooks, for all its suburban blandnenss, will get LRT, which rates it a bit higher.

In all honesty, I would probably rather live in one of the neighborhoods above, than in Boyle, or even Norwood (at least, with kids, without kids I would live anywhere close in). In terms of "potential" though, I think even areas around Alberta Avenue are improving a lot, and with the right leadership to reinvest "in", could end up offering a more attractive lifestyle than the suburbs you listed.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #15
Ins
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

It's a funny question as worst means different things to different people.
Ins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
richardW
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Edmonton
Default

I sense bad things in this topics' future...
richardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #17
Ins
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

^Why? There are no bad neighbourhoods. Only misunderstood and misrepresented ones.
Ins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
nobleea
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edmonton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
- there is nowhere to walk to/from: you have no choice but to drive everywhere for groceries, banking, school, etc. (which is part of the reason why seemingly everyone there is getting obese, and all the drive-thru banks, coffee shops, fast food, etc. doesn't help)
I was shocked to see a drive thru Rexall pharmacy by summerside the other day. Must seem a tad ironic to drive thru the pharmacy to get your heart disease and blood pressure medication due to obesity...
nobleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #19
DTrobotnik
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: jasper east
Default

there is only 1 bad neighbourhood in edmonton. there rest are good but some people in every neighbourhood choose to associate with criminals or vandals. anyway, that one neighbourhood will one day flip a 180 and be one of the best in the city. guaran*###kin*teed
DTrobotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
Medwards
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
What is the purpose in a thread listing the five WORST neighbourhoods? How about the five BEST neigbourhoods. Why do we so often gravitate to the negative?
I took your idea and went forward with it...
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #21
howie
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: edmonton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ins View Post
^Why? There are no bad neighbourhoods. Only misunderstood and misrepresented ones.
Yeah, and they probably had troubled childhoods.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
howie
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: edmonton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
My worst 5 neighborhoods:

Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates
- it is far from everything in the city (except West Edmonton Mall and the big Wal-Mart, but it's on the other side of the Henday for gwar's sakes!)
- the houses are all of the boring cookie-cutter variety, and are all hidden from the street behind garages and acres of driveways
- there is nowhere to walk to/from: you have no choice but to drive everywhere for groceries, banking, school, etc. (which is part of the reason why seemingly everyone there is getting obese, and all the drive-thru banks, coffee shops, fast food, etc. doesn't help)
- public transit service is garbage and taxi fares are a fortune if you are going anywhere (so everyone has to drive all the time)
- the ugly houses and condos there cost a fortune, and offer very little benefit
- lack of trees

Terwillegar
- See "Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates", except it is a bit worse because it is not close to the big mall, but it is at least on the "good" side of the Henday.

Twin Brooks
- See Terwillegar

MacEwan/Rutherford/Blackmud Creek area
- All the cons that the above neighborhoods have
- people torch millions of dollars worth of condos and homes that are still under construction
- Far from absolutely everything, but LRT at Century Park in 2010 will help that area improve

Sherwood Park (although it may not count because it's technically not part of Edmonton)
- see above (except there are more trees)
- downwind from the industrial area
- public transit is garbage
- teens all do drugs there because it is so far from Edmonton for kids that there's nothing else to do
LOL! So you can read a map and pontificate.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #23
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bonnie Doon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
My worst 5 neighborhoods:

Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates
Terwillegar
Twin Brooks
MacEwan/Rutherford/Blackmud Creek area

- the ugly houses and condos there cost a fortune, and offer very little benefit
Exactly. I always wondered why someone willing to spend $440,000 or more on a house would live out there. You can find some very nice character or custom built houses INSIDE the city.
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #24
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: May 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
LOL! So you can read a map and pontificate.
Pontificate? Ha! I actually know people who live in those areas.
MrOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #25
moahunter
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
I actually know people who live in those areas.
I do to, but I try not to boast about it (better to keep the shame hidden).
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #26
JBear
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Back in E-Town!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
My worst 5 neighborhoods:

Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates
Terwillegar
Twin Brooks
MacEwan/Rutherford/Blackmud Creek area

- the ugly houses and condos there cost a fortune, and offer very little benefit
Exactly. I always wondered why someone willing to spend $440,000 or more on a house would live out there. You can find some very nice character or custom built houses INSIDE the city.
I do not live there, but if I were shopping for a house I would somewhat consider buying there just because of where I work. Other than that, I would not give it a second look. I would probably buy in an older, more centrally located neighborhood such as Millwoods, Ermineskin or Blue Quill. I hope my next job is closer, if not in downtown. $200 gasoline bill/month is killing me!

People spend that money because the City promotes that lifestyle. Another Regional Ring Road being planned? Really? Is it really needed if you didn't have subdivisions on the wrong side of the AHD? How much sprawl do we need? GRRR... (sorry done venting and hijacking the thread)
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #27
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: May 2008
Default

Eeeek now be nice to Jbear guys

(Bear man.. Millwoods is in the deepsouth, it's about as uncentral as you can get)
edmonton daily photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #28
JBear
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Back in E-Town!
Default

Notice how I bolded MORE Central. More central compared to Summerside, Rutherford, etc.

Thanks for the warning though lol.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #29
Gemini
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
Yup Millwoods is a pretty danger place, especially if your scared of Sobeys, young families and cul-de-sacs.....
And some people there have one eye in the middle of their forhead.
__________________
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.
Ricky Gervais
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #30
andy8244
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oliver
Default

Top 5 worst neighborhoods in Edmonton-Oh, so many choices, so little time.
andy8244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #31
240GLT
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
Default

^ you obviously don't get out of the city much.

Compared to a great many other N.A. cities, Edmontons' neighborhoods are pretty good. The only place in this city with real blight is Boyle St. Every other neighborhood (yes even the ones that don't conform to typical upper middle class suburban structure or yuppie enclave) have many things to offer.

As is typical of those who like to deride the city for no other reason that to blow off excess gasses, a lot of folks seem intent on making wildly speculative statements based on little else than their inability to create and maintain a positive attitude.
240GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #32
jstock
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Meadows
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstock View Post
Jasper Place
Abbottsfield
Alberta Ave
McCauley
The Quarters
Lived in Abbottsfield for 6 years, and it is not nearly as bad as people think.
I grew up right beside it, and I have to disagree. I've seen different aspects I assume.
__________________
$2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 Anyone have a dime?
jstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #33
Top_Dawg
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Downtown
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
As is typical of those who like to deride the city for no other reason that to blow off excess gasses, a lot of folks seem intent on making wildly speculative statements based on little else than their inability to create and maintain a positive attitude.

Is it plural in this case because you ript 'im a new one ?
Top_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #34
Komrade
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beverly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
My worst 5 neighborhoods:

Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates
- it is far from everything in the city (except West Edmonton Mall and the big Wal-Mart, but it's on the other side of the Henday for gwar's sakes!)
- the houses are all of the boring cookie-cutter variety, and are all hidden from the street behind garages and acres of driveways
- there is nowhere to walk to/from: you have no choice but to drive everywhere for groceries, banking, school, etc. (which is part of the reason why seemingly everyone there is getting obese, and all the drive-thru banks, coffee shops, fast food, etc. doesn't help)
- public transit service is garbage and taxi fares are a fortune if you are going anywhere (so everyone has to drive all the time)
- the ugly houses and condos there cost a fortune, and offer very little benefit
- lack of trees

Terwillegar
- See "Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates", except it is a bit worse because it is not close to the big mall, but it is at least on the "good" side of the Henday.

Twin Brooks
- See Terwillegar

MacEwan/Rutherford/Blackmud Creek area
- All the cons that the above neighborhoods have
- people torch millions of dollars worth of condos and homes that are still under construction
- Far from absolutely everything, but LRT at Century Park in 2010 will help that area improve

Sherwood Park (although it may not count because it's technically not part of Edmonton)
- see above (except there are more trees)
- downwind from the industrial area
- public transit is garbage
- teens all do drugs there because it is so far from Edmonton for kids that there's nothing else to do


Best post ever! Ahahahahahaa I havent laughed that hard in a while. And its very very very true.
__________________
facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic
youtube.com/GrimEmpire
Komrade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #35
Cal76
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Default

Except for much of the Boyle-McCauley area, Edmonton does not have a real bad neighbourhood such as Winnipeg's inner city or Vancouver's DES. Most other so-called 'bad' areas are mostly families with a handful of bad guys and a non-resident population of addicts/drunks and other lowlifes. The vast majority of ppl living there are actually regular folks (again Boyle-McCauley nay be an exception).
Cal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #36
Replacement
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
My worst 5 neighborhoods:

Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates
- it is far from everything in the city (except West Edmonton Mall and the big Wal-Mart, but it's on the other side of the Henday for gwar's sakes!)
- the houses are all of the boring cookie-cutter variety, and are all hidden from the street behind garages and acres of driveways
- there is nowhere to walk to/from: you have no choice but to drive everywhere for groceries, banking, school, etc. (which is part of the reason why seemingly everyone there is getting obese, and all the drive-thru banks, coffee shops, fast food, etc. doesn't help)
- public transit service is garbage and taxi fares are a fortune if you are going anywhere (so everyone has to drive all the time)
- the ugly houses and condos there cost a fortune, and offer very little benefit
- lack of trees

Terwillegar
- See "Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates", except it is a bit worse because it is not close to the big mall, but it is at least on the "good" side of the Henday.

Twin Brooks
- See Terwillegar

MacEwan/Rutherford/Blackmud Creek area
- All the cons that the above neighborhoods have
- people torch millions of dollars worth of condos and homes that are still under construction
- Far from absolutely everything, but LRT at Century Park in 2010 will help that area improve

Sherwood Park (although it may not count because it's technically not part of Edmonton)
- see above (except there are more trees)
- downwind from the industrial area
- public transit is garbage
- teens all do drugs there because it is so far from Edmonton for kids that there's nothing else to do
lol

If pringles cookie cutter potato chips was cuisine these would be neighborhoods..

Well done.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #37
Ins
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

^ What is a neighbourhood in your mind?
Ins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #38
IanO
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Downtown Edmonton
Default

^not sure about replacement but in my mind:

- interaction
- openness
- communal events
- consideration and cooperation
- inclusiveness
__________________
inspiration or mediocrity

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #39
Replacement
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ins View Post
^ What is a neighbourhood in your mind?
ftr I don't live in an established, vibrant, "neighborhood" either but didn't pay half a million or more for the *privilege* of living in a neighborhood where many of the houses look alike and where theres restrictions and rules around what the house, your fence, your yard, should look like including what colors of paint or shingles you can use..

If I wanted that kind of crap I'd buy a condo. I worry that buying into those types of conditions impacts owners and neighborhoods to a great degree and possibly "selects" for the nature of owners that would complain about so much as a rake left on your lawn or report you because the wrong type of vehicle is parked on your driveway..(sarcastic with that example but just as illustration) I do wonder whether owner to owner complaints and reporting increases in more affluent homogeneous neighborhoods and with higher expectations of complicity including "perfect lawns and landscaping" being written or unwritten requirements.

In a neighborhood I like a little architectural diversity, history, flavor, and one that feels like it didn't drop off of some developers blueprint.


Some of these recent designer neighborhoods seem almost surreal and not in a good sense imo.

It is just opinion.

At least my neighborhood has some flavour and differences and wonderful ethnic diversity.

Last edited by Replacement; 12-08-2009 at 09:12 AM..
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #40
Replacement
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
^not sure about replacement but in my mind:

- interaction
- openness
- communal events
- consideration and cooperation
- inclusiveness
I would agree with these as well. Thanks Ian.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #41
Jeremy
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstock View Post
Jasper Place
Abbottsfield
Alberta Ave
McCauley
The Quarters
Lived in Abbottsfield for 6 years, and it is not nearly as bad as people think.
I grew up right beside it, and I have to disagree. I've seen different aspects I assume.
Such as?
__________________
You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” -- Mayor Stephen Mandel
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #42
Ins
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
^not sure about replacement but in my mind:

- interaction
- openness
- communal events
- consideration and cooperation
- inclusiveness
I agree with these as well. My neighbourhood has these features, although it is in the suburbs.
Ins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #43
howie
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: edmonton
Default

^ Me, too.

At the various stages of outward expansion, there have always been cookie-cutter house styles. A trip down 111 St. in the south side going southwards from 61 Ave. will display some examples of the various decades where the styles-du-jour prevailed in successive neighbourhoods. There's nothing new about this sort of thing.

It's probably safe to assume that some of the detractors of new neighbourhoods probably grew up in the very cookie-cutter houses mentioned of years past. Did that diminish their childhood in any degree? Did it induce a kind of xenophobia?
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #44
IanO
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Downtown Edmonton
Default

^society has changed though which is more of a contributing factor IMO. Suburbs originated because of the advent of the auto-mobile-apparatus and allowed the middle class to be removed from the urban form. They could forget about noise, pollution, crime, and work. They fled to the burbs and created wonderful communities where kids played outside after school, families had street parties, neighbours drank beer after a solid mow. When i go visit my sister or parents i rare see much of what i recall taking part in these days and instead see closed garages, unfriendly porches, mundane landscapes, and critically overstocked driveways and streets.
__________________
inspiration or mediocrity

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #45
danimalrex
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Edmonton, Ab
Default

^I understand what you are saying here, but on our street, I don't see that at all.

We know most of our neighbours. Many of them hang out on their front porches in the evenings (moreso during hot weather) and converse with other neighbours. The 'guys' usually take a minute to check out each others garage projects in the alley. We take turns with our neighbours when it comes to cutting the front lawn. Everyone tries to include other neighbours to try and get a group rates when those oppertunities come along. The neighbourhood kids are always coming by the house with some fundraising scheme from school or wherever. When there is a crime in the area, word spreads very quickly, not as gossip, but as a warning. If someone has a tool for something, they are quick to offer it up as a borrow rather than you having to go and grab your own. Enough neighbours volunteered for the recent building of a childrens playground that many had to be turned away. Yeah, the landscaping was a little bland for the first few years when everyone had the new development mandated essentials, but as the neighbourhood matures, we are seeing more and more people getting creative with their landscaping and carving out a unique identity for their homes.

Etc. Etc. (I hate run on paragraphs).

In short, a neighbourhood is what you make of it. Our neighbourhood, despite being out in the evil, bland, heartless and soulless suburbs, has done very well in creating a fairly stong community that many people are very proud to be a part of. Many other neighbourhoods that you may deem 'worst' function the same way.
danimalrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #46
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bonnie Doon
Default

The older neighbourhoods from the 1950s-1970s may have the same six styles of houses, but that's more variety than what some of the newer neighbourhoods have today. Also the old houses we grew up in as kids actually had a back alley and tree-lined streets.

Look at these pictures from the MacEwan fire:


That's not a neighbourhood, that is a housing compound.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...850/story.html

Last edited by North Guy66; 12-08-2009 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: added link for photo credits.
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #47
Ins
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

^ trees grow. Our street is only 3 or 4 years old. All homes have trees. None of the trees are even close to mature.

I agree that the collection of semi's doesn't look overly attractive. However, that doesn't mean it's not a nice neighbourhood.
Ins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #48
norwoodguy
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Where ever the pilot takes me
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
Except for much of the Boyle-McCauley area, Edmonton does not have a real bad neighbourhood such as Winnipeg's inner city or Vancouver's DES. Most other so-called 'bad' areas are mostly families with a handful of bad guys and a non-resident population of addicts/drunks and other lowlifes. The vast majority of ppl living there are actually regular folks (again Boyle-McCauley nay be an exception).
My brother has lived in the McCauley area since the early to mid 80s (he lives in the pocket between 90th and 95th street just south of 107th Ave) and he has never been assaulted, his house experienced one attempted break-in during the early morning hours many years ago which was kind of scary but he managed to wake up and call the police who came promptly and caught the perps.

There is a mix of low income and lower to middle class residents in his neighborhood and a hodge podge of older less well maintained homes and newer construction homes. Visually it is certainly not as appealing as the burbs but there definitely are some "regular" people living there and it's not as scary a place as one might expect. I went for an early evening walk a couple of weeks ago and there was one house having a BBQ with about 15-20 people and they were having a nice time playing musical instruments and singing. Their driveway was replete with some nice vehicles including a Mercedes so it's not as though the people who live or frequent the neighborhood are dirt poor.

The biggest drawback is the transient population who hang around or travel 95th street especially late at night. It is obviously worse during the warmer seasons, not so much when the weather gets cooler or cold. To be honest I was more shocked at how rundown 118th Ave has gotten since my childhood. We used to go to see movies, eat at local restaurants and hang out at the local 7-11 when I was growing up. It was really sad to see how that street has fallen.

I grew up living on the edges of the Alberta Avenue area during the 70s and 80s and I never found it a scary place. I don't live in Edmonton anymore but when I visit every year I go for walks through the old neighborhoods and feel pretty safe. It is a shame that there has been such an exodus to the burbs, the older neighborhoods aren't always as bad as they're made out to be and being in a central location can be an advantage if being close to downtown is appealing. Having lived in suburbia for a few years, it can be somewhat sterile and a bit of a pain having to drive everywhere.
__________________
Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Last edited by norwoodguy; 12-08-2009 at 02:43 PM..
norwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #49
240GLT
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
Default

^ A friend owns two large houses side by side at 93rd st & 109 ave, just in behind the park on 95th. It's a great little neighborhood with some pretty nice houses on the block. Walking distance to DT and the nice little retail strip on 95th, Chinatown, the stadium & new rec centre... I'd live there without a doubt.
240GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #50
howie
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: edmonton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
The older neighbourhoods from the 1950s-1970s may have the same six styles of houses, but that's more variety than what some of the newer neighbourhoods have today. Also the old houses we grew up in as kids actually had a back alley and tree-lined streets.

That's not a neighbourhood, that is a housing compound.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...850/story.html
Wrong. If you visit a variety of showhomes you'll find that in most cases, builders are offering up to a dozen or more styles that can be built in any given subdivision. Agreed, most new areas don't have back alleys now (takes up more space - increases the dreaded 'sprawl'), and it may come as a surprise to you that your trees also started out as saplings.

The "housing compound" you show is a condo complex and is but a very small concentrated area of that whole subdivision designated for a greater density of dwellings. Most areas have such high-density residential zones (if they didn't, then the dreaded 'sprawl' would be greater still, you see). The foreshortened view over the rooftops in the third photo could be anywhere, and the angle at which it was shot gives something of an illusory slant to the picture. Being a newer area, trees, which will eventually serve to break up that 'flattish' look, take time to grow.

I live in a newer subdivision myself, and those neighbourly qualities mentioned by danimalrex about his area hold very much true here, too. I like it a lot.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #51
Komrade
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beverly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ins View Post
^ What is a neighbourhood in your mind?
ftr I don't live in an established, vibrant, "neighborhood" either but didn't pay half a million or more for the *privilege* of living in a neighborhood where many of the houses look alike and where theres restrictions and rules around what the house, your fence, your yard, should look like including what colors of paint or shingles you can use..

If I wanted that kind of crap I'd buy a condo. I worry that buying into those types of conditions impacts owners and neighborhoods to a great degree and possibly "selects" for the nature of owners that would complain about so much as a rake left on your lawn or report you because the wrong type of vehicle is parked on your driveway..(sarcastic with that example but just as illustration) I do wonder whether owner to owner complaints and reporting increases in more affluent homogeneous neighborhoods and with higher expectations of complicity including "perfect lawns and landscaping" being written or unwritten requirements.

In a neighborhood I like a little architectural diversity, history, flavor, and one that feels like it didn't drop off of some developers blueprint.


Some of these recent designer neighborhoods seem almost surreal and not in a good sense imo.

It is just opinion.

At least my neighborhood has some flavour and differences and wonderful ethnic diversity.
__________________
facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic
youtube.com/GrimEmpire
Komrade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #52
Replacement
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
^ Me, too.

At the various stages of outward expansion, there have always been cookie-cutter house styles. A trip down 111 St. in the south side going southwards from 61 Ave. will display some examples of the various decades where the styles-du-jour prevailed in successive neighbourhoods. There's nothing new about this sort of thing.

It's probably safe to assume that some of the detractors of new neighbourhoods probably grew up in the very cookie-cutter houses mentioned of years past. Did that diminish their childhood in any degree? Did it induce a kind of xenophobia?
Well, we had backyards to play in and big enough to play some sports, trees to climb, build forts, room to be kids.




Quote:
Wrong. If you visit a variety of showhomes you'll find that in most cases, builders are offering up to a dozen or more styles that can be built in any given subdivision. Agreed, most new areas don't have back alleys now (takes up more space - increases the dreaded 'sprawl'), and it may come as a surprise to you that your trees also started out as saplings.

The "housing compound" you show is a condo complex and is but a very small concentrated area of that whole subdivision designated for a greater density of dwellings. Most areas have such high-density residential zones (if they didn't, then the dreaded 'sprawl' would be greater still, you see). The foreshortened view over the rooftops in the third photo could be anywhere, and the angle at which it was shot gives something of an illusory slant to the picture. Being a newer area, trees, which will eventually serve to break up that 'flattish' look, take time to grow.

I live in a newer subdivision myself, and those neighbourly qualities mentioned by danimalrex about his area hold very much true here, too. I like it a lot.
Theres nothing wrong with what Northguy implied. One of the reasons the compound went up in smoke was how closely the huge houses were stacked together. I wonder how many firefighters would buy in such developments?

The proportion of house size/lot size has started to get ridiculous in these new megalith house neighborhoods and in my view seems to encourage kids to play indoors all the time rather than in all the small canyons and crevices between houses.

j/k aside theres a whole lot of yard and activies that gets sacrificed in the name of putting up these huge house bunkers. Who really needs that much interior sq footage?

Last edited by Replacement; 12-08-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #53
ZiZiPop
You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
ftr I don't live in an established, vibrant, "neighborhood" either but didn't pay half a million or more for the *privilege* of living in a neighborhood where many of the houses look alike and where theres restrictions and rules around what the house, your fence, your yard, should look like including what colors of paint or shingles you can use..
In regards to the restictions put on new houses. Are these permanent or is there an expiry (so to speak)?
ZiZiPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #54
howie
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: edmonton
Default

Well, I guess we can conclude that everyone on here is happy with where they live in this city. I'm cool with that.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #55
beaverhousen
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
Yup Millwoods is a pretty danger place, especially if your scared of Sobeys, young families and cul-de-sacs.....
HA!!! That is funny
beaverhousen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #56
RichardS
C2E Junkie
*
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardW View Post
I sense bad things in this topics' future...
..as do I...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
^not sure about replacement but in my mind:

- interaction
- openness
- communal events
- consideration and cooperation
- inclusiveness
I would agree with these as well. Thanks Ian.
...unless...of course...perchance...that vaunted and espoused "inclusiveness" should..oh I don't know...find the following attributes included...in the spirit of tolerance...and that consideration and co-operation for character choices careening carelessly close to a certain chosen chastised cause celeb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
My worst 5 neighborhoods:

Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates
- it is far from everything in the city (except West Edmonton Mall and the big Wal-Mart, but it's on the other side of the Henday for gwar's sakes!)
- the houses are all of the boring cookie-cutter variety, and are all hidden from the street behind garages and acres of driveways
- there is nowhere to walk to/from: you have no choice but to drive everywhere for groceries, banking, school, etc. (which is part of the reason why seemingly everyone there is getting obese, and all the drive-thru banks, coffee shops, fast food, etc. doesn't help)
- public transit service is garbage and taxi fares are a fortune if you are going anywhere (so everyone has to drive all the time)
- the ugly houses and condos there cost a fortune, and offer very little benefit
- lack of trees

Terwillegar
- See "Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates", except it is a bit worse because it is not close to the big mall, but it is at least on the "good" side of the Henday.

Twin Brooks
- See Terwillegar

MacEwan/Rutherford/Blackmud Creek area
- All the cons that the above neighborhoods have
- people torch millions of dollars worth of condos and homes that are still under construction
- Far from absolutely everything, but LRT at Century Park in 2010 will help that area improve

Sherwood Park (although it may not count because it's technically not part of Edmonton)
- see above (except there are more trees)
- downwind from the industrial area
- public transit is garbage
- teens all do drugs there because it is so far from Edmonton for kids that there's nothing else to do
lol

If pringles cookie cutter potato chips was cuisine these would be neighborhoods..

Well done.
...just saying...they're people too...
__________________
Just stating facts...per ardua ad astra
RichardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #57
Kenn
C2E Co-Chair
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Default

It continues to amaze me how many people living in this region naively believe Mill Woods is one community. In fact, Mill Woods is 29 different communities ... with a combined population of more than 100,000 people. In very recent years, Mill Woods was essentially all of southeast Edmonton.

It especially annoys me when a local radio station reports an incident in "Mill Woods" ... however, police incidents in the southwest of the city are reported by the actual community ... if a community is even mentioned.

This previously published C2E column notes that the communities of Mill Woods are among the safest in Edmonton.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/guest-columnist/23
__________________
Edmonton: Capital of Canada's Bold West!
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #58
MylesC
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles; Athens
Default

Remember, if Millwoods were on its own, it would be the third largest City in Alberta!

"Police responded to a homicide report in Red Deer today" = Red Deer full of crack dens.
__________________
LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.
MylesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #59
Medwards
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

^ All of SE is Millwoods, and Downtown stretchs from the RiverValley to Alberta Avenue, and Inglewood, Sherbrooke. Most of the area north of yellowhead is either Castledowns or Clareview.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #60
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: May 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
It especially annoys me when a local radio station reports an incident in "Mill Woods"
My guess is that they do that because everyone knows where Mill Woods is.

If the news said "Leefield" or "Sakaw", nobody would have a clue what area of the city they were talking about.
MrOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #61
Top_Dawg
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Downtown
Default

Xacly MrOil.

Same reason nobody breaks out hoods in north central Emonchuk.

Just lump it all into that fecal goulash called Camel Downs, 'n yer done !


Keep it simple amigos !
Top_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #62
moahunter
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Default

^It is a different story on "best" neighborhoods though - then the rules are different. There you need to break out the specific neighborhood, and then even within that, the premium area. Classic example being "Valley view", which is technically part of Parkview, but not really when it comes to property values.

In other words, a "bad" neighborhood will tar the entire region, but a premium neighborhood is an incredibly exclusive and rare thing.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #63
Bluestreak
Partially Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Glenora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
^no kidding.

although i hear there is a very high correlation between proximity to WALMART and "worst neighbourhood"
That's funny. I heard the correlation was between proximity to downtown and getting the crap kicked out of me.
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #64
Kevlar
Partially Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oliver
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
^society has changed though which is more of a contributing factor IMO. Suburbs originated because of the advent of the auto-mobile-apparatus and allowed the middle class to be removed from the urban form. They could forget about noise, pollution, crime, and work. They fled to the burbs and created wonderful communities where kids played outside after school, families had street parties, neighbours drank beer after a solid mow. When i go visit my sister or parents i rare see much of what i recall taking part in these days and instead see closed garages, unfriendly porches, mundane landscapes, and critically overstocked driveways and streets.
The flight from the urban was never sustainable in the long run and we are mistaken if we think we can perpetuate it indefinately. Strong communities can surely be built in less car-centric locales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well, we had backyards to play in and big enough to play some sports, trees to climb, build forts, room to be kids.
But the land for those yards is too valuable as housing! (or so goes the argument). Perhaps we need more public greenspace in new nighrbourhoods (i.e. you should always be <5 min walk to a playground). Private greenspace is not used by playing kids most hours of most days anyway, it's mostly decorative and therefore a waste of land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The proportion of house size/lot size has started to get ridiculous in these new megalith house neighborhoods and in my view seems to encourage kids to play indoors all the time rather than in all the small canyons and crevices between houses.

j/k aside theres a whole lot of yard and activies that gets sacrificed in the name of putting up these huge house bunkers. Who really needs that much interior sq footage?
I agree that house sizes have reached a huge stanard. Especially when you consider that instead of 5 kids per family were down to less than 2! But againt the "big yard" of old is dead and should not come back. Yards are mostly decorative and should be small. Kids should play in parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
Xacly MrOil.

Same reason nobody breaks out hoods in north central Emonchuk.

Just lump it all into that fecal goulash called Camel Downs, 'n yer done !

Keep it simple amigos !
Perhaps it's because communities in the North don't have any personality so there's no reason learning their names?
__________________
Change the incentives and our car-dependant city can change too.
Kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #65
24karat
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton - Blue Quill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynow99 View Post
Blue Quill is part of Millwoods right?
No it is not.
__________________
Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA
24karat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #66
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Default

I think some of the problems in said neighbourhoods are partly related to the concentration of subsidized housing, and even more related to the numbers of group homes, be it addictions, at-risk, or mentally ill. That's why the city is proposing greater spacing between these kinds of residences. I also think that if the city limited the volume of certain businesses (e.g., pawn shops, payday loans, liquor stores, etc.) in these neighbourhoods, there would be less likelihood for criminal activity.
__________________
"Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.
The_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #67
ajs
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Macauley is one of the best (most affordable, interesting, diverse, community spirit-filled, convenient) neighborhoods anywhere. If you live in the Italian Center nimbus you are gold baby. Not many years ago 111 avenue had a HOME HARDWARE store. wow! And the hungarian butcher has fresh deep fried pork crisps (ie fat) every saturday morning. Now there is a thread discussion: 111 avenue from 93st to 98st, what´s up with that?
ajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #68
Yoho44
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Default

Parkland (Glastonbury) is in the top 5 best neighborhoods to live in Edmonton..I moved from the Avonmore area 8 yrs ago when Glastonbury was first developed and its the best decision I have ever made..My property value has exploded because of the ammenities and beauty of the area.We have excellent transit service and a Save on Foods anchored market at the south end and Safeway anchored retail market on the north side of the area.We have many kms of walking (running) trails and many acres of wooded unspoiled natural woodland to enjoy.The LRT will be going west from downtown to the general area and they are building a park and ride as I write this.Wouldn't live anywhere else in Edmonton..No way Joseway.
Yoho44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #69
Bluestreak
Partially Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Glenora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho44 View Post
Parkland (Glastonbury) is in the top 5 best neighborhoods to live in Edmonton..I moved from the Avonmore area 8 yrs ago when Glastonbury was first developed and its the best decision I have ever made..My property value has exploded because of the ammenities and beauty of the area.We have excellent transit service and a Save on Foods anchored market at the south end and Safeway anchored retail market on the north side of the area.We have many kms of walking (running) trails and many acres of wooded unspoiled natural woodland to enjoy.The LRT will be going west from downtown to the general area and they are building a park and ride as I write this.Wouldn't live anywhere else in Edmonton..No way Joseway.
I have relatives that live in Glastonbury, and their home was broken into twice last week, and their vehicle was stolen. In addition, 2 people on their street had their garages ransacked.
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #70
Yoho44
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Default

Lived in Glastonbury for 8.5 years and have had zero incidents of crime..I did see a Magpie snag some watermelon rinds out of the garbage across from me once but I didn't call 911.

Last edited by Yoho44; 27-04-2010 at 08:23 AM..
Yoho44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #71
cnr67
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
My worst 5 neighborhoods:

Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates
- it is far from everything in the city (except West Edmonton Mall and the big Wal-Mart, but it's on the other side of the Henday for gwar's sakes!)
- the houses are all of the boring cookie-cutter variety, and are all hidden from the street behind garages and acres of driveways
- there is nowhere to walk to/from: you have no choice but to drive everywhere for groceries, banking, school, etc. (which is part of the reason why seemingly everyone there is getting obese, and all the drive-thru banks, coffee shops, fast food, etc. doesn't help)
- public transit service is garbage and taxi fares are a fortune if you are going anywhere (so everyone has to drive all the time)
- the ugly houses and condos there cost a fortune, and offer very little benefit
- lack of trees

Terwillegar
- See "Glastonbury/The Hamptons/Lewis Estates", except it is a bit worse because it is not close to the big mall, but it is at least on the "good" side of the Henday.

Twin Brooks
- See Terwillegar

MacEwan/Rutherford/Blackmud Creek area
- All the cons that the above neighborhoods have
- people torch millions of dollars worth of condos and homes that are still under construction
- Far from absolutely everything, but LRT at Century Park in 2010 will help that area improve

Sherwood Park (although it may not count because it's technically not part of Edmonton)
- see above (except there are more trees)
- downwind from the industrial area
- public transit is garbage
- teens all do drugs there because it is so far from Edmonton for kids that there's nothing else to do


Best post ever! Ahahahahahaa I havent laughed that hard in a while. And its very very very true.
Nailed it!!!!
__________________
Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......
cnr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #72
Yoho44
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Default

Changed my mind and am now moving Parkland (Its called Parkland as a collective of the following Glastonbury/Grange/Hampton's because of all the park like space..You know the green area's with the managed water area's that everyone envies and wish they had more of it) to uno numero.Have lived all over this city N.S.E.W and there is no place like Carma's Parkland...You have seen the rest and if you want the best head west to releive your stress from Edmonton's mess.
Yoho44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #73
Medwards
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

managed water area's? Envies? Don't think so, bud. Those are storm water management ponds. They're good for mosquitos and other bugs that thrive in stillwater, and during the drier years, the pond is good for that awful lake smell. Can you kayak or swim in this great pond of glastonbury? What can this great pond be used for? Fishing? drinking water? Is there a beach? Oh, so in reality, its just a storm water management pond... "woooooooooooo" where do I sign up, so I can give up my great view of the river and beautiful river valley so I can have the great pond of glastonbury.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #74
RTA
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Holyrood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho44 View Post
Changed my mind and am now moving Parkland (Its called Parkland as a collective of the following Glastonbury/Grange/Hampton's because of all the park like space..You know the green area's with the managed water area's that everyone envies and wish they had more of it) to uno numero.Have lived all over this city N.S.E.W and there is no place like Carma's Parkland...You have seen the rest and if you want the best head west to releive your stress from Edmonton's mess.
If you work for Carma or some other developer/homebuilder in this area, or are otherwise somehow financially benefiting from the development of this area, you should disclose such as a matter of courtesy to this forum.
__________________
Strathcona City Separatist
RTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #75
Yoho44
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Default

Its funny..Your moniker attached to all your posts (about negativity) is well >you<..LOL.. Oh...So you live close to that dirty North Sask River with the garbage strewn banks and the druggies & criminals that call it home..That green belt?..The one you can't skate on in the winter..Yes we have docks to put your boat/canoe here to enjoy the water.Birds really like the water and for bugs well the last time I was inundated with bugs was when I went to have a bike ride in Mill Creek Ravine and it wasn't the type that bite.It was the type that want to take your bike and or your loonies.I really do miss the garbage in Mill Creek both the tossed type,and the human type....Managed water area's for the unenlighted like >Medwards< are all connected and move the water in and out to create a system of water area's that are a healthy enviroment for all to enjoy and they do...Its all good good in Parkland.
Yoho44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #76
cnr67
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho44 View Post
Its funny..Your moniker attached to all your posts (about negativity) is well >you<..LOL.. Oh...So you live close to that dirty North Sask River with the garbage strewn banks and the druggies & criminals that call it home..That green belt?..The one you can't skate on in the winter..Yes we have docks to put your boat/canoe here to enjoy the water.Birds really like the water and for bugs well the last time I was inundated with bugs was when I went to have a bike ride in Mill Creek Ravine and it wasn't the type that bite.It was the type that want to take your bike and or your loonies.I really do miss the garbage in Mill Creek both the tossed type,and the human type....Managed water area's for the unenlighted like >Medwards< are all connected and move the water in and out to create a system of water area's that are a healthy enviroment for all to enjoy and they do...Its all good good in Parkland.
Really? I live atop the bank and have no such rif raf here. I do have Mallards, Geese, Coyotes,Hares and Deer. No docks? Really.A boat launch at 50 st in Gold bar Park for any boating.Try kyacking on your pond!. And Gold Bar is a real park. Not an artificial dream from a developers idea of one. I fish and gold pan on the sand bars next to the river across from Rundle Park. I hope your house sits high enough above your majestic artificial slough. The first enormous dump of rain will show you what a storm retention pond is and what it is not.
__________________
Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......
cnr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.