Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arts, Culture & Entertainment Edmonton has a vibrant and broad-based cultural scene, easily one of the most exciting in Canada, if not North America. Check this site for show announcements about theatre, cinema, shows, festivals, concerts, people, the arts in general, and other forms of entertainment. Post your thoughts, comments, announcements here.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Default Edmonton gets Gap's first factory outlets in West

Edmonton gets Gap's first factory outlets in West
BY BILL MAH, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMMARCH 12, 2009 12:02 PM

EDMONTON — Gap Inc., the world’s largest clothing retailer, opens its first two western Canadian factory stores in Edmonton on Friday.

The Banana Republic Factory Store and Gap Factory Stores at South Edmonton Common follow the chain’s first Canadian factory outlets launched in Ontario late last year.

“We’re very excited Banana Republic Factory Store and Gap Factory Store will open at South Edmonton Common on March 13th allowing Albertans to shop our highly accessible brands,” said Jim Lain, regional director of Banana Republic and Gap Factory Stores, Canada and Midwest.

“We’re confident the openings will appeal to sophisticated yet value-conscious consumers across Alberta.”

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...046/story.html
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You For This Useful Post:
edmontonenthusiast (12-03-2009)
Old 12-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
davidnorwoodink
Addicted to C2E

Saw ads in one of the daily papers for these openings last week. It's good news. I hope H&M also opens at SEC.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

It's too bad these stores didn't open somewhere a bit more accessible... SEC, as we all know, is a pain in the butt to get to, park at, and travel from store to store.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
edmontonenthusiast
Addicted to C2E

That's kinda nice to hear. Why couldn't they open these cool shops on Whyte or just off Whyte or in the downtown? That would've been better. Maybe downtown is still a longshot for H&M, Banana Republic, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Aritzia but I know Whyte could support it.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Honestly, the level of frustration to get to shops in this city is the sole reason I don't have a far nicer wardrobe. SEC and WEM are my two most hated trips.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
Honestly, the level of frustration to get to shops in this city is the sole reason I don't have a far nicer wardrobe. SEC and WEM are my two most hated trips.
Agreed 100%. Although I wouldn't say my wardrobe is lacking, but it definitely means there are dozens of stores I NEVER buy at because of where they're located. I would reconsider if they were in more convenient locations.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Edmontonfan
Addicted to C2E

You do realise that outlet stores never open in downtown locations, don't you? This is a coup for Edmonton and whether a few people on here like it or not SEC is a huge destination for massive amounts of shoppers.....which is what businesses? want!

I rarely go to SEC or WEM, but I can appreciate that there is very obviously a place for them
Old 12-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Not sure where the mistake lies....but the addresses in The Journal' story do not jive with the addresses on a coupon I got recently with a purchase at BR.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
danimalrex
Addicted to C2E

How inconvenient something is depends on where you are sitting at any particular time. Had they placed these stores downtown or on Whyte, many others could say the same.

While SEC and WEM are not my favorite places to shop, I don't think that the reputation that they get for being hard places to get around in is entirely warranted. I've been to both on an average weeknight, and its really not that bad at all. Weekends and holidays (particularly the Christmas season) are a different matter entirely, and they are best avoided at those times.

You can't deny the success of either one in being popular destinations for hordes of shoppers, and these two stores will expand upon that success.
danimalrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
RTA
Addicted to C2E

^ No one is denying their success, however their location and layout means their success is marred by traffic and accessibility problems. To say nothing of sustainability, etc.

Being successful doesn't mean it couldn't have been done better.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Outlet stores really dont do urban. Come on now people. Clue up.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
RTA
Addicted to C2E

^ Why not? I'm genuinely curious as to why they couldn't.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

because they like to have bigger warehouse like sized stores, rather then the typical smaller store sizes you find on Jasper and Whyte.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #14
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Hmmm, you could fit like 5 of these factory outlet stores on one of the car dealership lots on Whyte... There we go, problem solved.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Are these Car dealerships moving off whyte anytime soon? I'd love to see them gone... but haven't heard word either way. (same with the one on Jasper ave)
Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
edmontonenthusiast
Addicted to C2E

^Medwards, he never said they were moving off Whyte Avenue, he was just saying that these factory stores could fit in those spaces. I don't know where you get that he is implying that they're moving off Whyte.

Even if they didn't have a "factory store" Jasper Avenue or Whyte Avenue or 124 Street could use some (not enough to take over the indie side of it) more chains definitely like Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, H&M, Lululemon, Aritzia, Motherhood Maternity, Danier Leather, Urban Planet, and other clothing chains. I mean they attract lots of people and what not, plus it gives a good image of the area I think. Like it is successful enough to have chains. I know Lululemon is on Whyte by the way.

Not to mention, Jasper & Whyte & 124th are all easily accessable by most people in the city. WEM and SEC aren't to the same extent. People in older areas don't always own a car, so they'd need to bus to SEC or WEM or even walk or cab or something inconvinient. Although WEM does have some good connections to Downtown. Whereas people can walk Whyte Ave, Jasper Ave, 124 St, or the suburbanites can easily drive to those streets park their car and just walk the strip, many do on already Whyte. Not to mention those three are in a grid network, much easier to navigate than suburbs around West Ed and South Ed which is nice for people who walk/transit to the area or drive.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
Are these Car dealerships moving off whyte anytime soon? I'd love to see them gone... but haven't heard word either way. (same with the one on Jasper ave)
No, haven't heard any plans... but I have a feeling if they were offered a large enough sum of money, they would pack their bags pretty darn quickly.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #18
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

EE - re-read my post and breathe a bit before responding again. I never implied that he said they were moving. I was just asking a question if anyone had heard anything. This forum has many voices and ears in our community, and I was just fielding a simple question. Your response is out of line, there is no need to jump all over me for asking a question.

Last edited by Medwards; 12-03-2009 at 04:35 PM..
Old 12-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #19
RTA
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
because they like to have bigger warehouse like sized stores, rather then the typical smaller store sizes you find on Jasper and Whyte.
Understood, but liking something doesn't make it a necessity, especially where businesses are concerned. These aren't stores directly attached to factories anymore, one or two of these could easily fit into a tower podium, for example, without sacrificing overall square footage. If anything, the cost of downtown retail space is the factor; why build downtown when you can build in the abundant and cheap power centres in the suburbs-which-are-still-relatively-accessible-from-downtown? Which we sadly continue to allow and approve out of fear that developers and stores will simply turn their backs on us rather than adapt to better urban forms.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Also, I'd rather see the chains STAY off Whyte ave. I like Whyte ave for all the independants that are on it. The more chains that come, the less there will be indepandants. Leave the big box stores and chains for SEC and WEM. Keep Whyte ave UNIQUE.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #21
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

Factory outlets, by their nature, often sell seconds, out of season leftovers, etc, sometimes at huge discounts. They may prefer not to locate these stores in prime retail/higher rent locations, because it drives up the costs of selling the goods. It also can cannibalize sales in regular stores (especially if located nearby) and diminish the brand to discount status in the market. They want to distinguish theses tores brom regular stores as much as possible.

Real factory outlets are often located at or near the factory, but the term has taken on a different meaning from those days as more companies open these stores (sometimes in prime retail locations).
Old 12-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #22
edmontonenthusiast
Addicted to C2E

Doesn't New York City have a few 'outlets', like on the Manhattan Island or no?

Medwards - while I get Whyte Ave is great for independant, and I want 80% of the new retail to be indie, some chains would be good for the area. Chains will imply that there is good money to be made in the area, it's 'good enough' for chains, and it's successfull by the chains just being there. No McDonald's won't say that, but Banana Republic will. No chains would be cool in say Chicago or New York where they have a vastly developed urban scene, and people like the urban scene, and there is a lot of selection, but I don't think it'd quite work in Edmonton.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #23
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

What happened when Chapters went on Whyte?

How many independent book stores went out of business because they could not compete with it on Whyte ave?

By your reasoning, maybe we should push for a Walmart too on Whyte or Jasper ave?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #24
edmontonenthusiast
Addicted to C2E

^I never said Walmart should open up shop on Whyte. You are taking stuff out of proportion. While I don't really remembering the problem with Whyte having a Chapters all well, I know someone on here (maybe in Favourite bookstore) said that many were worried that Chapters' opening up would loose all the cool bookstores on the strip but today many like Wee Book Inn and Hub Cigar are still around as well as other indie bookstores. Same can be said for the chains already on Whyte in clothing - Lululemon, American Apparel, Le Chateau, are in great harmony with Mars & Venus, FS Skate, Rowena, Colour Blind, Bamboo Ballroom, and many other indie clothing stores.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #25
kona
Addicted to C2E

This great more good stores in one of my favourite shopping areas.

And it it is not at all that hard to get around, if it is nice I do walk around. So come giuve it a try, or better still stay on Whyte Avenue.

We all have to remember businesses respond to the needs and desires of consumers, it is really as simple as that, just good old basic economics.
kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #26
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

I avoid SEC on general principle, and no I don't want to see Whyte Ave turned into a suburban big-box generica. Because that's what factory stores are - big box retail.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #27
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
I avoid SEC on general principle, and no I don't want to see Whyte Ave turned into a suburban big-box generica. Because that's what factory stores are - big box retail.
I'm sorry... but I don't buy that for a minute. A significant number of businesses in SEC could easily be located downtown or on Whyte Ave.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #28
richardW
Addicted to C2E

how about you guys just put it in your sigs that anything and everything should be located downtown. seriously every time a topic like this comes up its like OMGZ downtown would be better!!!!1!. seriously its getting old.

i am sure the companies did their research and decide where to put their stores for max profit. so until the day comes where we have a less sprawling city(which sadly may be never the way this council goes about) these stores will continue to go to the outskirts.
Old 13-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #29
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

I never said they SHOULD be downtown, only that they COULD be downtown. Learn to read.
Old 13-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #30
bicycles
Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
I'm sorry... but I don't buy that for a minute. A significant number of businesses in SEC could easily be located downtown or on Whyte Ave.
agreed. holt renfrew is just as big as most sec shops for an example and theres tons of space for development still along Jasper and all throughout downtown. having said that I don't think something like Gap would do well downtown as there are already a ton in the city that are closer drives for the majority of the people but stores like H & M, American Apparel, and Buffalo would be nice.

Last edited by bicycles; 13-03-2009 at 12:36 AM..
bicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #31
richardW
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I never said they SHOULD be downtown, only that they COULD be downtown. Learn to read.
i am pretty sure i did not mention your name specifically so maybe you should take your own advice... my post just happened to come right after yours, but really it could be in any thread where a new retail chain or restaurant is announced.
Old 13-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #32
richardW
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycles View Post

agreed. holt renfrew is just as big as most sec shops for an example and theres tons of space for development still along Jasper and all throughout downtown. having said that I don't think something like Gap would do well downtown as there are already a ton in the city that are closer drives for the majority of the people but stores like H & M, American Apparel, and Buffalo would be nice.
sorry for the double post but isn't there a Gap currently in city center west 2nd floor?
Old 13-03-2009, 01:27 AM   #33
bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardW View Post
Quote:

sorry for the double post but isn't there a Gap currently in city center west 2nd floor?
pretty sure yeah, I meant outside of mall retail.
Old 13-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #34
kona
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

pretty sure yeah, I meant outside of mall retail.
So should we also get rid of malls downtown too?

I agree with richardw, so often there major attacks on a development when it happens outside of downtown or outside of Old Strathcona. There are others areas of the City people! and businesses have a choice as to where to locate and they locate where their customers want them.

I like to see development downtown but our urban landscape is changing just as it has done since we became urbanized, and it will continuity to evolve.

Now back on topic, I can;'t wait to check these places out later today and have a nice dinner at one of the restaurants at SEC, and perhaps pick up some stuff at Home Depot for a weekend project and I f I need milk I can get that from Wal Mart.
Old 13-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #35
danimalrex
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Also, I'd rather see the chains STAY off Whyte ave. I like Whyte ave for all the independants that are on it. The more chains that come, the less there will be indepandants. Leave the big box stores and chains for SEC and WEM. Keep Whyte ave UNIQUE.

Thanks.
This I agree with whole heartedly. One of the things that makes Whyte interesting and a destination for shoppers is the uniqueness of the shops that are there. It offers something that one can't fine in a place like SEC or WEM.

As an example, look at the Kensington Village area of Calgary. Reading through the list of shops in that area (http://www.visitkensington.com/), I count only a handful of 'chain' stores, and the majority of those area either fast food (Subway, Marble Slab, etc.) or small service outlets (UPS Store, Petro Canada, etc.).

That's the way that I envision Whyte.
danimalrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #36
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
i am pretty sure i did not mention your name specifically so maybe you should take your own advice... my post just happened to come right after yours, but really it could be in any thread where a new retail chain or restaurant is announced.
Okay, sorry about that... maybe next time you should "quote" posts when you are addressing them.
Old 13-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #37
RTA
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona View Post
I agree with richardw, so often there major attacks on a development when it happens outside of downtown or outside of Old Strathcona. There are others areas of the City people! and businesses have a choice as to where to locate and they locate where their customers want them.

I like to see development downtown but our urban landscape is changing just as it has done since we became urbanized, and it will continuity to evolve.

Now back on topic, I can;'t wait to check these places out later today and have a nice dinner at one of the restaurants at SEC, and perhaps pick up some stuff at Home Depot for a weekend project and I f I need milk I can get that from Wal Mart.
If there is anything that we have been collectively learning as a city and urban society over the last decade, it's that we have neglected our downtowns - the hearts of our cities - and one of the major reasons is that we have simply made it to easy to develop sprawling, car-centric discountville power centres alongside sprawling, discountville car-centric neighborhoods. And despite learning this, we still make it all too easy for this kind of development to continue. There are few things more frustrating than seeing trends that continue and persist despite how we have been learning and knowing how unhealthy they are.

So forgive us those who think that setting up shop in this city should be more than just maximizing the bottom line, but also contributing to the urban fabric and character of our city. Forgive us those who think we are still neglecting our downtown in favour of soulless, dime-a-dozen power centres. Forgive us those who want to see the heart and soul of our city thrive and prosper. Forgive us those who recognize that downtown isn't just for people who live downtown, but for the whole city, accessible equally by all residents of the city, and equidistantly from every corner of the city.
Old 13-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #38
LindseyT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona View Post

If there is anything that we have been collectively learning as a city and urban society over the last decade, it's that we have neglected our downtowns - the hearts of our cities - and one of the major reasons is that we have simply made it to easy to develop sprawling, car-centric discountville power centres alongside sprawling, discountville car-centric neighborhoods. And despite learning this, we still make it all too easy for this kind of development to continue. There are few things more frustrating than seeing trends that continue and persist despite how we have been learning and knowing how unhealthy they are.

So forgive us those who think that setting up shop in this city should be more than just maximizing the bottom line, but also contributing to the urban fabric and character of our city. Forgive us those who think we are still neglecting our downtown in favour of soulless, dime-a-dozen power centres. Forgive us those who want to see the heart and soul of our city thrive and prosper. Forgive us those who recognize that downtown isn't just for people who live downtown, but for the whole city, accessible equally by all residents of the city, and equidistantly from every corner of the city.

Why go walk around downtown when I can drive right up to a store. Why spend an hour making supper when I can pick up McDonald's on the way home. The more convenient option doesn't necessarily make it the best. Fortunately people are beginning to see the long term effects of a couple generations of very poor decisions and demand change.
LindseyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #39
sbrussell

When I first read the headline, I thought the GAP was opening a factory in Edmonton. Too bad, as I've heard they are top-notch places to work.
sbrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #40
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrussell View Post
When I first read the headline, I thought the GAP was opening a factory in Edmonton. Too bad, as I've heard they are top-notch places to work.
That's a joke right? Child labour, here we come...
Old 13-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #41
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

I don't know about you people but when I see "Gap" and "factory" in the same sentence I think of exploited workers.
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #42
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

My thoughts exactly Noth Guy66.
Old 13-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #43
LindseyT
Addicted to C2E

I find the presoaking of my clothes in tears of impoverished third world children helps minimize the shrinking.
LindseyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #44
kona
Addicted to C2E

The whole child labour and exploited workers thing is farce.

The Gap companies clearly have policies against this activity and they do their best as purchases to mitigate these issues and provide to the best of their abilities good working conditions that improve the lives of so many around the world.

Gap Social Responsibility

As you will see they work with many respected non-government organizations to ensure their practices and those of their suppliers are good and improve.
Old 15-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #45
jessie

The reson companies manufacture overseas is because it is cheap. There are not the same kind of labour standards and environmental standards.
So, when the Gap or whoever manufactures in China or where ever, they can meet or surpass the laws of that country and still be very far away from what our standards would be.
Of course, we benefit from the overseas production, by having access to very inexpensive clothing.
jessie is offline   Reply With Quote