Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Air/Rail Links Edmonton continues to improve its ranking as a major transportation hub for northern Canada and beyond. New air routes, more cargo, Port Alberta, a major rail operations centre and the related infrastructure are all part of this increasingly critical component of the region’s economic growth. Contribute your ideas and comments here.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Air/Rail Links

Old 04-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #2101
The Man From YEG
First One is Always Free

That may be but from what I understand from what I have been advised were the yields those engineers and manufacturers weren't filling it up or the ones from here were still flying via YYZ as AC SuperElites or Elites. Perhaps now that AC has 'enhanced' the domestic Altitude programme they will recognize the error of their ways.
The Man From YEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #2102
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

I don't know who is advising you, but the route numbers were not bad. UAL restructuring is what took a toll on that route.
Brentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #2103
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

True. United just cut 63 aircraft, hence their sudden balance sheet turnaround. Probably a necessary rationalisation after the Continental merger.

I would guess it's actually close to the top of their list for reinstatement, but not if Delta or AA beat them to it of course.

New York is definitely a priority, and United's Newark gateway is a very competitive option TransAtlantic.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #2104
Doppelganger
Partially Addicted to C2E

^^ Would the route numbers that were not bad be referring to passenger headcount or to yields?
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #2105
chupa
Addicted to C2E

New York was not a terrible performer for YEG. I watched the loads quite closely and did not see anything very far below 70%, infact most were more in the 80% range.

New York is not a very strong market from Alberta as a whole, YYC has only one year round flight by AC using a Embraer 190 operated once daily and is joined by a summer only westjet flight that's uses a 737-600/700 mix.

Seasonal edmonton-New York is feasible, but only as a seasonal link.
chupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #2106
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
I'm guessing our next route will be Nanaimo, Prince George, Penticton or Fort St. John on Encore.
I'll add Honolulu to my list. When WestJet gets their 767s, HNL is a possibility.
TheGreatestX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #2107
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

ORD on AA. UAL just reduced to 1x daily in Jan-March.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #2108
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

^Seconded.

Last edited by JayBee; 05-11-2014 at 06:54 PM..
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #2109
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Our inside man tuffyy on SSP is hearing rumblings of BA coming to YEG as well........

Edit, sounds likes a shared route with YYC and uses a 787.

Last edited by Hilman; 06-11-2014 at 04:49 PM..
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #2110
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

Oh my! That is very interesting.Perhaps they're trying to squeez out a certain Airline that has treated this city like second class or are they just countering KML?
ctzn-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #2111
howie
Addicted to C2E

Either way, we've got to have YEG-LHR/LGW. There has to be more onward connections from those two than from Amsterdam.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #2112
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

I wonder if this is a endeavour of EIA or just BA's natural intent. As well, can our market absorb another carrier for Europe?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #2113
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Either way, we've got to have YEG-LHR/LGW. There has to be more onward connections from those two than from Amsterdam.
In 2010 LHR had 180 destinations (heathrow website), AMS had 274 (Wikipedia)

Last edited by Brentk; 06-11-2014 at 09:15 PM..
Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #2114
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Amsterdam admittedly doesn't have the connections we need to South Asia. KLM flies to Delhi only.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #2115
marty

You could probably just use Pearson in that case. Where in South Asia did you have in mind? Pakistan?
marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #2116
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
Oh my! That is very interesting.Perhaps they're trying to squeez out a certain Airline that has treated this city like second class or are they just countering KML?
Four things I can think of:

1 - Even if we land BA daily there would still be hundreds of YEG-Europe customers transferring at other North American airports. i.e., excess unserved demand.

2 - AC running away and crying "unprofitability" to mommy Rovinescue left even more unserved, but actually so did United cutting Newark. United's hub at Newark I think is the best endowed Transatlantic gateway on this side of the pond and a lot of their customers were using it thus.

3 - London is the number one Transatlantic origin and destination for Edmonton.

4 - AC to London was kindof a dead-end anyways, since Star Alliance partner BMI disappeared. BA at London would also have numerous transfer routes to offer, and many of those customers would be business class.

Really hope we get it, and it's year-round.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #2117
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty View Post
You could probably just use Pearson in that case. Where in South Asia did you have in mind? Pakistan?
From Heathrow, one can connect to Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Chennai, Bengaluru, Colombo, Dhaka, Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad.

From Amsterdam: Delhi and Mumbai.

From Toronto: Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad.

London is still an important airport to be connected to. Having British Airways on the route would make those connections easier than on Air Canada.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:23 AM   #2118
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

^ Definitely. Also even where they fly to the same transfer destinations, it gives us price competition.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #2119
howie
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
In 2010 LHR had 180 destinations (heathrow website), AMS had 274 (Wikipedia)
Thanks, Brentk. If you include Gatwick, that adds a further 200 destinations.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #2120
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Transferring from Air Transat at Gatwick wouldn't be as seamless as using KLM all the way through to your final destination, bottom line is AMS > LHR (having both is the best of both worlds).

Last edited by Hilman; 07-11-2014 at 09:18 AM..
Old 09-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #2121
IanO
Addicted to C2E

YYC-Beijing?

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...aspx?id=251576

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #2122
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^been talked about ever since the Nexen purchase, and the airport expansion, I thought it might come soon too, given Harpers trip over there.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #2123
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

I've been on 13 trans-pacific flights the past few years, and have never needed to use YYC-NRT. This will be no different.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #2124
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

^ Likewise.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #2125
Rocket252
Addicted to C2E

Would this be the much talked about shared flight between yeg and yyc?
If not why would I go to YYC if YVR or SEA would be a better option?
Would a YYC flight have enough load?
Rocket252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #2126
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Would this be the much talked about shared flight between yeg and yyc?
If not why would I go to YYC if YVR or SEA would be a better option?
Would a YYC flight have enough load?
I hope so, but am guessing just YYC. I took NRT-YYC, convenient, but prefer vancouver's intl departures.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Old 10-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #2127
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Effective June 15, WestJet increases Abbotsford service to 3 daily from 2 daily. Extra service is on Encore. Timed perfectly for connections.

Depart Abbotsford at 6:20 a.m.
Arrive Edmonton at 9:02 a.m.
Depart Edmonton at 10:00 p.m.
Arrive Abbotsford at 10:56 p.m.

Last edited by TheGreatestX; 10-11-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Old 15-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #2128
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Would be great to see UA return with EWR this summer as well as BA to LHR as rumored.

Considering that much of the EWR market would be onward connections though, I think we would be close to an overcapacity situation if both flights come to fruition.
AAAAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #2129
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

Do we actually have concrete facts and metrics that many depart to NY for connections. From casual dialogue with many strangers, they head to NY to visit or want to visit the city. It's safe to say, it is one of the top 5 world destination for non connections. That said, it is not entirely imppossible for people to use them as connectors.

Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 15-11-2014 at 10:32 PM..
Old 16-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #2130
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Good point, the thing with London and New York is that the cities themselves are (much) bigger origin/destinations than Amsterdam or Keflavik. But the transfers are definitely significant.

United at Newark, not including Central/East Asia or US/Canada (from Wikipedia):

Source

Last edited by JayBee; 16-11-2014 at 01:41 PM..
Old 16-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #2131
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Sooo...what's this about a rumored BA route, Greatest X?

thegx on SSP:
Quote:
Very interesting, a reply from BA in 2013:

"We constantly review our network to make the best use of our fleet. We don't however have plans to add Edmonton at the moment."

And now this:

"Keep an eye on our website and the truth shall be revealed soon."

and

"You'll find out soon enough"

They didn't deny it like they did in the past...
Old 16-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #2132
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

According to tuffy on SSP, who told us about Reykjavik, Dallas and Amsterdam before they were announced, BA will be adding Edmonton to its current LHR-YYC schedule.

Then someone on Twitter asked BA if they were adding YEG, and their replies which are quoted above seem to indicate something might happen.

Lastly, according to tuffy...

"Well from all I've heard it does sound like you'll have a 787 flight sooner than later."
Old 16-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #2133
Ponza

So I would guess BA picking up the London to Edmonton route would be the end of AC flying that route.
Ponza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #2134
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Looks promising, but I'll count my chickens after they hatch.

BA would be a much better flight for us to LHR. AC can't really do many transfers from LHR that they couldn't more profitably from YYZ. BA can add in a lot of transfer possibilities from all over Eurasia/Africa.

The trick with BA is they've bet so heavily on premium seats with their aircraft configuration, and I'm not sure if it will help them or hurt them to alternatingly dog-leg through the other Alberta city.

More than ever we need people to Fly Edmonton First. We know we can in theory harness tremendous leakage through other Canadian airports, but now that we are getting options like KLM and Icelandair, we have to put our money where our airport is.

Luckily, unlike our previously sole trans-atlantic provider, KLM, Icelandair, and hopefully BA have no incentive whatsoever to route us through other Canadian airports.
Old 21-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #2135
CapitalEx
First One is Always Free

There has been discussion on this board about how airlines make route decisions on yield and not just on the number of people in the seats. I have a question for anyone who has detailed knowledge of the airline industry. How do airlines allocate revenue internally for accounting purposes for the millions of connecting passengers? Let me give an example:

I entered YEG to AMS in June on KLM website and the cost of return flight was $1049.

I entered YEG to Rome (FCO) on KLM connecting through AMS on the exact same dates and the cost was $997.

Forgetting about the fees and taxes included in the cost, how does KLM allocate the revenue internally to determine the profitably of each flight? On the first example, obviously all of the $1049 gets allocated to the YEG-AMS flight. In the second example do they allocate $997 to YEG_AMS and zero to AMS-FCO in which case YEG-AMS would be profitable and AMS-FCO would lose money or do they allocate $500 to YEG-AMS and $497 to AMS-FCO in which case YEG-AMS would lose money and AMS-FCO would be profitable.

I ask the question because there are many connecting passengers on almost every flight of every airline. Therefore these internal assumptions determine whether or not flights are profitable. As an example, there has been discussion on this board about why United cut the YEG-EWR flight when the number of passengers on each flight was at a reasonable level. How United allocated the revenue from connecting passengers determines to a large extent whether or not the flight was profitable. An airline could make a certain flight APPEAR profitable if it wanted to or unprofitable simply by the revenue assumptions.

The second question is how does the above scenario make sense for the cost to be less to fly from YEG-FCO than to stay in AMS? They are actually paying me $52 to go to Rome rather than staying in Amsterdam.

I appreciate any information anyone can provide on this issue.

Last edited by CapitalEx; 21-11-2014 at 02:44 PM..
CapitalEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #2136
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalEx View Post
I entered YEG to AMS in June on KLM website and the cost of return flight was $1049.

I entered YEG to Rome (FCO) on KLM connecting through AMS on the exact same dates and the cost was $997.
That's bizarre. I'd like to know the answers to those questions as well.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #2137
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Wow. Great questions. To begin with I don't have a detailed knowledge of the airline industry, I just have the basics of economics, industrial organisation, and corporate strategy, and thus I can't really do more than speculate on your first question. Perhaps you'll get better answers from someone else, (and perhaps you won't. )

a.
To begin with, all prices are charged at the level the competitive market will bear. If Air Canada charges $1050 to Amsterdam and $998 to Rome (both via Toronto), KLM has no choice but to acknowledge that, regardless their own cost structure. Same reason gas station prices aren't correlated with oil prices.

b.
To second, airline seats are perishable products, just like heads of lettuce. It's better to sell a seat for reeeeal cheap than it is to not sell it for anything. Some flights make more money than others, some lose money, but once the aircraft are committed to their routes, they're committed.

c.
Thus from points a and b, if KLM predicts unsold capacity on both YEG-AMS & AMS-FCO, it only makes sense to match or beat AC on FCO, and why not overcharge on AMS, if $1050 is the going rate?

If on the other hand they were predicting AMS-FCO being sold-out, they wouldn't need to bother matching.

Finally about the internal allocation stuff, I have no idea, but how I would make choices to pioneer and keep or discontinue routes would be:
  1. estimate the number of aircraft my corporate structure could justify (based on things like hub airport capacity, winable passenger totals, and access to capital, etc)
  2. pit routes against each other for estimated net profitability (how many O&D vs transfer plus seat class breakdown plus cargo minus costs of execution)
  3. basically commit to a route for a year and wait to see how it pans out.

In United's case on Newark, especially using the aircraft they had allocated to the route, I suspect it was profitable or close enough to keep building the route, but corporately they needed to revisit point [1] above, and cut 10% of their aircraft because they were gas guzzling antiques. Then when they revisited point [2] above, Edmonton-Newark fell below, for example, Austin-Newark.
Old 21-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #2138
JustYeggin
Addicted to C2E

^Called yield optimization.

And typically, when you are flying direct to a hub (and it is your final destination), you pay more for convenience.

It's not any different than pricing YEG-IAH vs YEG-IAH-TPA as an example.

YEG-IAH will cost twice as much as YEG-TPA through IAH.
JustYeggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #2139
CapitalEx
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
  1. pit routes against each other for estimated net profitability (how many O&D vs transfer plus seat class breakdown plus cargo minus costs of execution)
Thanks for the excellent response JayBee. I think your analysis is probably close to the truth. To use another example, people on this board have often asked why Air Canada has several direct flights from YYC to U.S. and none from YEG. My question is how does Air Canada determine the profitability of it's YYC-LAX route which would contain multiple connecting passengers from YEG? I suspect there are sufficient O & D passengers on most YEG-YYC flights to make it profitable. Therefore, do they internally allocate most of the cost paid by the YEG passenger to the YYC-LAX portion of the flight? When you add in the YYC-LAX O& D passengers, this would make the YYC-LAX flight APPEAR to be very profitable. This would give them no reason to consider adding a YEG-LAX flight. On the other hand, if you change the allocation of the revenue from the YEG-YYC-LAX passengers to allocate more to the YEG-YYC portion of the flight, the YEG-YYC is more profitable and the YYC-LAX is less profitable.

The reason I'm raising these questions is that my hunch is that airlines make these allocations to justify the previous decisions they have already made. In other words, allocate revenue to the international flights from the hubs to make them appear profitable at he expense of non hub airports like YEG. This makes it much more difficult for non-hub airports to get and keep flights because the airlines internal accounting makes them look less profitable.

That's why I choose direct flights from Edmonton and refuse to connect through places like YYC. If we don't use our flights and show the airlines they can make money, no one else will.

Last edited by CapitalEx; 21-11-2014 at 02:56 PM..
CapitalEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #2140
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

I had a discussion with a former WJ executive not so long ago. Another factor to keep in mind, is it isn't always optimal to have full planes, some empty seats is a good thing. The reason is, Airlines make a killing from last minute business customers who are price takers, they will pay double or more for a last minute flight. If you oversell all the seats before that last week, you lose that high yielding revenue, so full planes, means missed revenue / profits, prices too low.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #2141
53latitude

Some airlines purposely do not sell a few seats until the date of flight for walk ups.
53latitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #2142
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalEx View Post
That's why I choose direct flights from Edmonton and refuse to connect through places like YYC. If we don't use our flights and show the airlines they can make money, no one else will.
Absolutely agree.
Old 22-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #2143
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Minor update, WestJet is now codesharing on AA's DFW and LAX flights.
Old 22-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #2144
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I think it would be great to re-introduce a flight to NYC, wherever AA flies, given the codeshare.
Old 23-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #2145
Yakupov87
First One is Always Free

I heard a rumour about Qatar airways starting to Calgary, a bit of googling revealed this

http://careers.qatarairways.com/qata...acancyID=78606

Does this mean anything?
Yakupov87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #2146
53latitude

This is a recruitment that is happening across Canada, and does not mean they will be flying to Calgary. I don't think they have the rights at the moment.
53latitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #2147
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

^
Quote:
Willingness to relocate to Doha, Qatar
Not necessarily. Possibly because they want to poach Westjet and AC crews based there.
Old 23-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #2148
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
^
Quote:
Willingness to relocate to Doha, Qatar
Not necessarily. Possibly because they want to poach Westjet and AC crews based there.
Lol...Doha, Qatar...yeah sure...and that also read "Qatar Airways will be holding a Cabin Crew Open Day in Calgary in August 2014". If you search here you will see there are NO jobs in Calgary available or for Canada. They must be fully staffed lol

http://careers.qatarairways.com/qata...spx?lang=en-US

and then there is this: note the absence of flights planned for anywhere in 2015

http://www.anna.aero/2014/08/06/qata...-destinations/

Last edited by EdmTrekker; 23-11-2014 at 10:40 PM..
EdmTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #2149
Swarez99
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53latitude View Post
Some airlines purposely do not sell a few seats until the date of flight for walk ups.
The big network airlines (AC/BA/UA/KLM) etc just over sell on purpose, they know they can get people to take a couple of bucks and fly the next day. The LCC like west jet/southwest don't over sell - not because they don't want to, it's just how networks are structured in there cases.

I'll give personal example - in Aug I had to go to Brazil last minute for work, cost about 4k in economy booking 5 days out, flight was sold out when I booked (yyz- São Paulo), got to YYZ they were offering people 400 to go the next day, some took it, probably those who were vacationing or didn't have hard plans.

BTW Calgary is losing BA 787, going back to 767. Our market is starting to soften as a whole - in our company which deal with logistics/transport people are pushing/delaying orders and seen few cancellations because of quick oil price drop. People are now back to reevaluation stage for certain smaller projects and jobs - now they are secondary jobs but still some big money slow downs coming. It's actually a little un-nerving. Been in Alberta about 5 years and first hints of trouble I've seen.
Swarez99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #2150
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

Sounds like every flight from ORD, IAH, and MSP that I've been on as of late. Oversold.

The oilfield is weird right now, utilization is up compared to last year. Most Drillers are flat out. Oilsands and projects probably a different story.
Old 30-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #2151
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

According to tuffy on the skyscraper forum, Delta will announce Seattle next week.
Old 30-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #2152
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

I sure hope so. I maintain that this would give us our first competitive non-Star Alliance Transpacific hub. A strategic breakthrough for YEG that should really loosen-up competition.

Source

Not too overwhelming, but close to AC alone through Vancouver. It should improve soon, too:

Quote:
"We’re making good progress on our discussion to upgrade the facility and to turn Seattle into a huge international gateway for Delta," Chief Executive Officer Richard Anderson said on a recorded message to employees.
Source
Old 30-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #2153
IanO
Addicted to C2E

...and their CEO is quite familiar with our city

www.decl.org

Old 30-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #2154
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Ha ha, no. Different Richard Anderson...
Old 30-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #2155
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^aw come on... let it run a little.

www.decl.org

Old 30-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #2156
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Cage on SSP thinks the new Delta Seattle route will be a double daily (except maybe Saturdays) on Skywest CR7.
Old 30-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #2157
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Sounds reasonable (and depending on the timing, perhaps excellent for us.)
Old 30-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #2158
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

The increase in capacity to the US will be great after some of the reductions on United.
Old 30-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #2159
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
^aw come on... let it run a little.
Okay, I take it back.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #2160
sonicboom

As per tuffyy at SSP:

Quote:
BA is expected to now also announce YEG to it's exsisting YYC flight in the next couple of weeks. It's been confirmed and yes the 763 will operate the route for the time being.

It will alternate in YEG-YYC-LHR and vice versa on certain days of the week.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #2161
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Nice!!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #2162
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
As per tuffyy at SSP:

Quote:
BA is expected to now also announce YEG to it's exsisting YYC flight in the next couple of weeks. It's been confirmed and yes the 763 will operate the route for the time being.

It will alternate in YEG-YYC-LHR and vice versa on certain days of the week.
What an exceptional year for YEG so far!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #2163
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

British Airways will give Edmonton more leverage with international flights.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #2164
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

T5, Dirwick's kiss of death!

Wonder how Dickhead will be 'splaining this to his bosses?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #2165
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

??
Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #2166
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

^ Derek Vanstone - Air Canada's VP of airport relations. Legendary hissy-fit artist.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #2167
JustYeggin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

They don't much care....AC today announced YYZ-DEL. Frankly, AC is focusing so much on YYZ and making YYZ a transit hub given the new visa-free transit policy that the government has implemented.

AC and Van Stone want more Americans (including green card holders) and passengers from Latin America more than they care for passengers in Edmonton, Saskatoon or Regina or Winnipeg, etc....

They figure they can make more money that way and I do not fault them for that. Every company can choose the strategy that works better for them. Remember, AC stated many times that their goal is to build a world class connection hub at YYZ where you can reach many global points with one stop.

In the meantime, as a YEG resident, you now have more choice. And to get to Copenhagen or Istanbul or Delhi, etc.... you can choose to connect via YYZ or AMS or LHR. At the end of the day, the consumer decides with their own dollars.
JustYeggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #2168
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustYeggin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

They don't much care....AC today announced YYZ-DEL. Frankly, AC is focusing so much on YYZ and making YYZ a transit hub given the new visa-free transit policy that the government has implemented.

AC and Van Stone want more Americans (including green card holders) and passengers from Latin America more than they care for passengers in Edmonton, Saskatoon or Regina or Winnipeg, etc....

They figure they can make more money that way and I do not fault them for that. Every company can choose the strategy that works better for them. Remember, AC stated many times that their goal is to build a world class connection hub at YYZ where you can reach many global points with one stop.

In the meantime, as a YEG resident, you now have more choice. And to get to Copenhagen or Istanbul or Delhi, etc.... you can choose to connect via YYZ or AMS or LHR. At the end of the day, the consumer decides with their own dollars.
Don't forget KEF (in regards to Copenhagen)
Old 04-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #2169
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

Airport codes. We don't all know them.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #2170
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

YEG = Us. YYZ = Toronto. DEL = New Delhi

and, it's likely you'll see many more. This could be your friend: http://www.world-airport-codes.com/

And agreed, AC doesn't likely care and also agreed, competition is good for us, good for anyone.

If we lose AC to LHR at T3 and instead get BA to LHR and T5 - an absolute win for us. Same with KLM to AMS. And FI to KEF.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #2171
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Given the condescending tone of Vanston's letter, the smarmy quasi-truthful press quotes given by AC's PR person and blatant AC "23 flights from Calgary to Europe" billboards in multiple locations around Edmonton, sorry but AC deserves as much mockery as we want.

They're collectively a stupid company because they allow incapable people to represent them.

Hey Dereck, KLM says you're wrong, and BA is going to give Edmonton half of your stupid city's flights. Now how's your "profitability" from YEG?

Lol and lol.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #2172
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

I haven't seen those billboards yet, but are those people over at Air Canada really so out of touch, or are they intentionally slapping us in the face?
Old 04-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #2173
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

The higher ups at AC can't find Edmonton on a map because they keep looking for a place called Emmington.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #2174
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I haven't seen those billboards yet, but are those people over at Air Canada really so out of touch, or are they intentionally slapping us in the face?
I'd say the former. Even if it were the latter, how stupid do you have to be to not realise the assistance it gives your competitors against your tax-created comedy?

Last edited by JayBee; 04-12-2014 at 04:59 PM..
Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #2175
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Remember corollaries from geometry in Math 10? In order for something to be true, its equal and opposite must also be true.

So if AC (as I wonder) is engaging is short-term pain for markets like us for long term gain of its YYC hub - it's poorest performing hub - and yes, I wish I could find the article, but yes I saw it ...

Is the truth (corollary) then, that it is engaging in long term pain for short term gain?

Just askin'. I mean Star Alliance once had a monopoly on U.S. and international flights to/from YEG.

Does it still?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #2176
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Air Canada is increasing Montreal to 3 daily next summer (from 2 daily last summer).
Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #2177
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Trying to build up their YUL hub?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #2178
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

it can work to our advantage too as that will give many eastern trade workers options to land here or Calgary via Ft.Mac. Any addition flights from a major canadian eastern hubs will elevate options for workers to use our airport as their choice of destination to connect for the Fort. Many workers i have spoken with prefered to transfer at Edmonton but go to Calgary due to lack of connects or no option.

Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 07-12-2014 at 09:03 AM..
Old 07-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #2179
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
it can work to our advantage too as that will give many eastern trade workers options to land here or Calgary via Ft.Mac. Any addition flights from a major canadian eastern hubs will elevate options for workers to use our airport as their choice of destination to connect for the Fort. Many workers i have spoken with prefered to transfer at Edmonton but go to Calgary due to lack of connects or no option.
True enough but I think their motive is to fill the additional Rouge flights out of YUL.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #2180
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

I think you're both right. It is good news for us too, although not on the scale that cutting LHR was bad news.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #2181
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

I was on the morning nonstop to YUL a month back and it was sold out. They asked for people to give up their seats for a pass. Same on the return. We need the service plain and simple. I wish they would give us an early am flight like at 6am.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #2182
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Default Alberta airports play key role in resource worker mobility

The charter airlines ferry thousands of workers to and from the oil and gas fields. They are a major contributor to the provincial economy and bring welcome business to nine airports in the region. Two in particular, Edmonton International and Fort McMurray, have the lion’s share of the traffic. This year, Edmonton expects to handle 900,000 charter passengers and Fort McMurray just over 200,000.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/partn...ticle21809763/

Last edited by Glenco; 08-12-2014 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Wrong title
Glenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #2183
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Good on Mr. Ruth for throwing in that sales pitch for cargo village.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #2184
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Nice to have a feature in the national media that does not include the "c" word.