Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Air/Rail Links Edmonton continues to improve its ranking as a major transportation hub for northern Canada and beyond. New air routes, more cargo, Port Alberta, a major rail operations centre and the related infrastructure are all part of this increasingly critical component of the region’s economic growth. Contribute your ideas and comments here.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Air/Rail Links

Old 29-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #1901
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^^hahaha indeed.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #1902
24karat
Addicted to C2E

EIA to AMS Schiphol would be an awesome addition. Hope it becomes a reality. We still need a direct to Asia connection, but I'm sure that's being worked on.
Old 29-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #1903
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Hope it doesn't hurt Icelandair
TheGreatestX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #1904
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

AC, bless its irrelevant pointy head didn't hurt FI this past summer. KLM won't either.

Alas, I hate Schipol. But then again, I wasn't flying KLM - maybe they'll have better gate positions (somewhere on the land side of the North Sea).
Old 29-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #1905
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

I assume *** Canada Edmonton/London will be officially cancel? Good for them for such great commerce skills.

I will demonstrate my commerce skills with Icelandair or KLM for future European destinations. both will get my service as i will alternate choices.
ctzn-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #1906
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
Hope it doesn't hurt Icelandair
I'm positive there's enough room for both, YEG-Europe could probably fill three widebody routes even in the low season, and KLM and Icelandair will both have very clear niches:
  • Icelandair for price and an edge in virtually all the destinations they serve (except obviously Amsterdam)
  • KLM for better aircraft, Amsterdam itself, and virtually all the destinations Icelandair doesn't serve in Europe, West Asia, and Africa.

Nothing but good with this. Unless you're AC, again...

Still like the idea of LOT or Virgin as well though. They would also have clear niches (Eastern Europe and discount to London respectively.)
Old 29-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #1907
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

https://twitter.com/KLM/status/505497613614202880

Remixed ‏@Remixed87 3h
Quote:
@KLM When will you be announcing the non-stop to Edmonton?
Royal Dutch Airlines ‏@KLM
Quote:
@Remixed87 Once we have reviewed our flight schedule and decide to add Edmonton. You be the first to know!
Old 29-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #1908
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

https://twitter.com/KLM/status/505489167468752896

Mark W ‏@YEGeyes 6h
Quote:
@KLM would be amazing if Edmonton to Amsterdam nonstop was in the books!
Royal Dutch Airlines ‏@KLM
Quote:
@YEGeyes It sure would!
Old 29-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #1909
LO 044
Partially Addicted to C2E

I know there are a lot of AC haters on here but really it is in the best interest of the airport and the public to have the AC flight to LHR even if it is seasonal. One, it is competition therefore great pricing options for us. Two, if we can keep all three flights going other airlines will take note and take a chance on us. Three, the AC flight still provides some connecting passengers through YEG which isn't a bad thing.

The real question i have is will WestJet step up and provide connections through YEG to AMS or continue to funnel passengers through YYC to AMS. If it is the former than count that as positive point Four which will grow our passenger numbers even more.
LO 044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #1910
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Sorry LO - AC has loudly told Edmonton to go f**k itself.

They're done here - and in so many more ways than they imagined.

Doubt they can recover.

Last edited by McBoo; 29-08-2014 at 11:12 PM..
McBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #1911
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

I don't mind if AC keeps their little seasonal 767 charter service to LHR, just given a choice from any of BA, Virgin, Transat, Monarch, Thomas Cook, or Westjet of any of:
  • Year round
  • Aircraft less than 30 years old
  • Any substantial number of code shares beyond Heathrow

and I would choose/recommend them over AC. There is nothing irrational about declining to choose something with zero advantage.

Blind faith Air Canada lovers in Edmonton don't get it - AC's decision makers think there is only one international airport in Alberta.
Old 30-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #1912
LO 044
Partially Addicted to C2E

You guys are hilarious. Same old same old. AC still has full domestic flights so only some people apparently don't support AC. And apparently tons of people connect through YYC and couldn't give a crap about Fly Edmonton First. I highly doubt AC is done.

And yes feel free to take Air Transat to Europe in their sardine cans. Oh yeah they offer basically 0 service to YEG except for sun destinations, big deal. Thomas Cook gets the worst reviews.Their aircraft are less spacious then Air Transat's. WestJet, basically 0 overseas flights and yes i do know about Ireland and Hawaii and their multitude of Sun destinations. I'm sure someone will bring those up. You mention charter airlines yet half the airlines you mention are basically charter flights.

JayBee where do you think WestJet funnels most of their traffic, YYC onto WS, KL, BA and so on. You are in bizarro world. Blind faith is that WestJet will begin European flights from YEG but i do sincerely hope i am wrong and will be one of the first passengers on a YEG-Europe flight on WestJet.
LO 044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #1913
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Right... Air Canada can't even make Edmonton-Kelowna work, a route WestJet offers up to 5 daily on. How about Victoria? Abbotsford? Comox? Kamloops?

How about transborder? They won't even touch YEG-LAS or YEG-PHX, even on Rouge.
TheGreatestX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #1914
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

^^I sincerely wish that AC would provide us with better service however I do realize they have logistical problems in providing it partly because of their collective bargaining agreement that prevents them from basing flight crews here and partly because of a lack of will.
So how long do you think the domestic flights will full if Edmontonians do not have to connect through one of their hubs. If YEG reaches it's goal of 10mil by 2020 will AC's domestic numbers still be the same as they are today? If so they will have to think about changing their strategy. It will be interesting to watch as they will need us more than we need them.
Old 30-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #1915
JustYeggin
Addicted to C2E

AC's negative perceptions in this YEG area stem from the 1990's. But the problem is that AC continues to use their 1990s argument about our area's inability to sustain service.

In the 1990s, our economy was in a bad shape. In fact, our population shrank in 1994. At the time, it made sense for AC to move more metal to YYC.

Today, AC keeps telling us our market is too small when they know it's not the truth and people aren't that dumb. I feel that they are in a dilemma...why give us flights to YOW, YQR and YXE for example if they don't care much about our market and why not only stick to their hubs only. Their customer retention strategy for YEG pax is non-existent.

In the 1990's, AC had a combined market share of 70%...Now it's around 30% despite us doubling in traffic. So you do the math.
JustYeggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #1916
chupa
Addicted to C2E

Agreed, the market will continue it's dramatic growth with or without AC, they may be cutting back in YEG but yet the market continues to grow at a rapid pace. Airlines are noticing and taking steps to move into untapped territory. For a airport that isn't actually a hub for a airline we are doing amazing.
chupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #1917
The Man From YEG
First One is Always Free

Default AC and YEG = Charlie Brown, Lucy and the Football

My rule:

If it is non-stop without connecting in a AC hub or connector city, I might take it depending on schedule (e.g., YYZ, YOW, YUL). I recognize that the current federal regime permits them to revenue-share with UA ex-YEG so I am pleased with AA and DFW and will be on the first flight to LAX as the vast majority of my flying is to California.

It has been well in excess of a decade since I went ex-YYC.

As for Europe, FI via KEF is great!
The Man From YEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #1918
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupa View Post
Agreed, the market will continue it's dramatic growth with or without AC, they may be cutting back in YEG but yet the market continues to grow at a rapid pace. Airlines are noticing and taking steps to move into untapped territory. For a airport that isn't actually a hub for a airline we are doing amazing.
As Katz points out...2/3 of Alberta 5M Population will be in Edmonton and area and Northern Alberta within 20 years based on projections. This population will drive demand...and want non-stop flights.
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #1919
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Not sure if it will be that much, but if you take away Calgary and area, Southern Alberta is not growing that fast. Daryl Katz is right about one thing, Edmonton and Northern Alberta will likely be growing faster than Calgary and Southern Alberta. Grande Prairie and Fort McMurray's airports will be a factor.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #1920
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Interesting report to read on O&D in AB.

http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/tourism/pr...StudyFinal.pdf

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:03 AM   #1921
Drumbones
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupa View Post
As Katz points out...2/3 of Alberta 5M Population will be in Edmonton and area and Northern Alberta within 20 years based on projections. This population will drive demand...and want non-stop flights.
At the present rate of growth Alberta's population will reach 5 million before 2020
Drumbones is offline   Reply With Quote