Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Air/Rail Links Edmonton continues to improve its ranking as a major transportation hub for northern Canada and beyond. New air routes, more cargo, Port Alberta, a major rail operations centre and the related infrastructure are all part of this increasingly critical component of the region’s economic growth. Contribute your ideas and comments here.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Air/Rail Links

Old 26-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #1801
YEGBoeingPilot
First One is Always Free

Pilots are not route planners, but they are realists. Show me the schedule loaded in the system and I'll buy it, or even better show me the plane sitting at the gate for boarding and I'll buy it then. But just because a pilot said it doesn't mean anything. Everyday I hear new rumors that have never come to pass so keep that in mind.
YEGBoeingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #1802
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Yeah, I'm sort of in that Missouri "show me" state too.

But, gotta say - a whole lot of smoke being blown from somewhere ...
Old 26-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #1803
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

I kept hearing "Frankfurt likely coming soon" for about 6 years but that never materialized.
Old 26-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #1804
faraz
Partially Addicted to C2E

I had a chance to speak with someone high up at EIA and they said discussions for both AMS and FRA are going on. I was surprised to hear FRA since LH pulled out of YYC but they said LH has shown interest and discussions have heated up quite a bit for AMS/FRA.

I asked the person what's their gut feel of landing another European route and reply was there is a very good chance of one happening this winter. They also mentioned it's easier to maintain AMS or FRA year around due to lower landing fees compared to LHR.
faraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #1805
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

AllegiantAir still plans on launch Canada flights, but postponed till 2015 per ACI-NA meetings this week here in Edmonton.
Brentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #1806
Hull534
Addicted to C2E

Default WestJet Co-Founder set to start a new airline

This guy has the experience , so it might be interesting to see what he does . He claims to be starting with three 737's .. Sounds very similar to west jet starting up.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...del-to-canada/

With the majors focused on other areas ie. Overseas , regional , it might be the opportunity to succeed if he nails the niche.
Hull534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #1807
YEGBoeingPilot
First One is Always Free

Yeah well, all I can say is those 3 737s probably say Enerjet on them currently. No thanks to ultra low cost, fly Ryanair and tell me how much you like it.
Old 29-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #1808
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

I didn't mind Ryanair, super cheap...
TheGreatestX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #1809
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEGBoeingPilot View Post
Yeah well, all I can say is those 3 737s probably say Enerjet on them currently. No thanks to ultra low cost, fly Ryanair and tell me how much you like it.
Not everyone can afford what you, me and others can, so they will bare that just like not everyone can afford mansions, so they go for something cheap and dignified.
ctzn-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #1810
Hull534
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
While I am pretty sure that Enerjet has a long term charter with Husky for these planes , If he is going to use this fleet , then he already has a fully equipped and staffed fleet ready to go. Could be interesting...
Old 29-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #1811
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
Quote:
Not everyone can afford what you, me and others can, so they will bare that just like not everyone can afford mansions, so they go for something cheap and dignified.
Did you really just suggest that ryanAir is dignified?

It has to be exactly the opposite of that...
AAAAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #1812
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

Please don't be ignorant to those with inability of affordibility with pricepoint. I fly first class regardless where i go but would never admonish people for flyingg at low pricepoint. Not directing at you personally, enough with the forking pretentiousness. For some folks RayanAir is dignified so respect that!
Old 29-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #1813
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Please don't be ignorant to those with inability of affordibility with pricepoint. I fly first class regardless where i go but would never admonish people for flyingg at low pricepoint. Not directing at you personally, enough with the forking pretentiousness. For some folks RayanAir is dignified so respect that!
That's it you tell him!
I am sure the 81 million passengers who flew with them last year would not have flown them if they did not want to.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...travelers.html
Old 30-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #1814
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

The market needs more choices among airlines, and YEG needs more airlines to pay attention to the market.

Wait and see if I ever fly them or not, but it's definitely good news. Even if I don't fly with them, they'll make Westjet and Air Vanzdone have to earn their keep.
Old 30-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #1815
24karat
Addicted to C2E

With the USA pretty well covered, and with Icelandair now serving EIA, I'm hoping someone steps up and gives us direct service to Asia. My preference would be Singapore Airlines, but I doubt that will happen.
Old 30-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #1816
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Direct service to Asia would be awesome!
But which city?
Tokyo?
Hong Kong?
Shanghai?
Singapore?
Delhi?
Mumbai?
Old 30-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #1817
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
Direct service to Asia would be awesome!
But which city?
Singapore?
Delhi?
Mumbai?
There isn't any non-stop service from anywhere in Canada to those places, so I don't think Edmonton will be the first to get those routes.

My money would be on Tokyo, Seoul or Taipei.
Old 30-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #1818
IanO
Addicted to C2E

HK or Shanghai please.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #1819
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

Any major city with good connection-even Guang Zhou. Target whatever is most manageable and tangible for us. We have now realize going through the back door is just as affective (aka Icelandair). Anything beyond that such as Central/South America would just give Calgary, Vanvouver and *** Canada a heart attack.
Old 30-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #1820
ThomasH
Addicted to C2E

Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Tianjin, Chongqing, Chengdu, Harbin are all worthy alternatives for Edmonton to connect to.
Old 30-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #1821
Ustauk
Addicted to C2E

^
Harbin would be particularly apropos, as it is one of Edmonton's twin cities.
Ustauk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #1822
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Tianjin, Chongqing, Chengdu, Harbin are all worthy alternatives for Edmonton to connect to.
All of those cities, except Guangzhou, would offer very limited connections.
Old 30-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #1823
ThomasH
Addicted to C2E

Chongqing's new airport under construction:

Source: http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/605/6050408.html#6050409

Those cities might not have as many connections as the usual ones which is why they would love to have a connection to Edmonton. They are also well connected to other cities within China. The Chongqing airport serves almost 30 million people.

Last edited by ThomasH; 30-06-2014 at 02:21 PM..
ThomasH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #1824
ThomasH
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
"Airport expansion
In 2004, Chongqing Jiangbei Airport became one of the largest in Western China due to an expansion to Terminal 2 which opened and was originally expected to be able to handle as many as 10 million passengers by 2010. However, the passenger traffic grew at such a fast pace that by 2007, the airport had already served more than 10 million passengers.

The phase three construction, which included a second runway and another expansion of Terminal 2, started in 2007. Major construction included adding a second runway of 3,200 meters(which was later lengthened to 3,600 meters) to the east of the existing runway, building a parallel taxiway in between the two runways and setting up a visual aid lighting support system. It also included adding a second terminal building (T2A) with an area of 60,000 sq.m., 41 apron aircraft parking stands, and a freight station and support facilities occupying an area of 20,000 sq.m. It cost CNY3.3 billion(USD538 million).[7] The T2 Terminal expansion project was finished in 2010. In 22 December 2010, the second runway came into regular use and Chongqing became the 4th city in mainland China that had 2 runways operating at the same time, one exclusively for take-off and the other for landing.

The next phase expansion includes the addition of the third runway and a new terminal, Terminal 3A, which is going to be 480,000 square meters,[8] twice the size of the existing terminals (T1 and T2A-B) combined, costing CNY26.0 billion (USD4.1 billion). The new terminal is expected to be completed by 2015 after which the airport will have 700,000 square meters of terminal space, ranking Chongqing Jiangbei among the world's 15 largest airports with an annual passenger capacity of 60 million and an annual cargo capacity of 2 million tons. Half of the new terminal is currently planned for international flights to cities in South East Asia, East Asia, Middle East, Western Africa, Western Europe and North America."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongqi...tional_Airport
Old 30-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #1825
ThomasH
Addicted to C2E

International destinations from Chongqing airport:
Taipei, Kaohsing, Bankok, Phunket, Singapore, Colombo, Sydney, Malé, Seoul, Tokyo.
No direct flights to North America
Old 30-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #1826
Ustauk
Addicted to C2E

^
That'd be cool; they could be our gateway to Asia, and we could be their gateway to North America
Ustauk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #1827
Hull534
Addicted to C2E

Like Iceland air , We should work with those who want a connection with us. That is how bonds get built.
Old 30-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #1828
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

The way I would predict possible service is first to look at which airline would serve Edmonton, and then to consider which hub would be their priority based on the hub's "power" (number of spokes), proximity to Edmonton (for transfers), and actual existing traffic between the two centres themselves.

(Then someone like chupa or Tom Hinderks comes along and tells me it's impossible due to regulations (i.e., politics.))

If Chongqing, it would have to be China Southern Airlines, but if it were China Southern, I suspect they would prefer their Beijing hub for proximity, hub power, and actual traffic between Edmonton and Beijing.

That's not even to say it passes the first test, of: would China Southern be interested in Edmonton?

Geographically, the hub that is most proximal is Narita/Tokyo (JAL and ANA, and to which Calgary has service), and the hub that might arguably be more powerful, but second most proximal is Incheon/Seoul (Asiana and KAL.) If you are the type that likes oversimplification, you could think of Narita and Incheon as the Heathrow and Schipohl of Asia, with (Beijing being Frankfurt.)

The neat trick with Icelandair is that they are close enough to actually fly narrowbody aircraft, which generally are much cheaper to operate, while all their competitors are forced to consider only widebodies.

The only city in Asia that could pull off the narrowbody trick is Petropavlovsk Kamchatskyi, Russia, but they don't seem to have an airline like Icelandair showing the will or ability to, say, link North America to Tokyo, Beijing, etc.

Just food for thought.

I'll take whoever wants to serve our market that regulations will allow. (Although, yes, we do have enough of a market to fill a year-round East Asia flight.)
Old 30-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #1829
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Quote:
That's it you tell him!
I am sure the 81 million passengers who flew with them last year would not have flown them if they did not want to.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...travelers.html
Its not a matter of being pretentious. I simply object to a company that treats its customers so badly. RyanAir's business model is built on an ancillary revenue - selling everything that used to be included. Thus, the 'poorer' traveler is often forced to pay more out of pocket at the airport and on the plane. They are tricked and taken advantage of. RyanAir also has a notorious reputation for bullying airport authorities to give them favorable or often free landing rights. The other airlines play fairly, but ryanair seems to think there is a set of rules that doesn't apply to them. Lastly, we also have to mention their labour practices. The pay is so low for their staff that many are on state benefits. This is not a contributor to the economy, it instead promotes a race to the bottom.
Old 30-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #1830
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

That is a fair explananation and as my comments stated "not directing at you personally..." However, i was targeting a comment 4 posts above your's. That one was just foul especially when i threw out innuendos about people's affordable rangre . It was like his silverspoon defied gravity and found its way right out the upper end. You didn't explain your point of view , so it added to the fire.
.. All is good though as you have never demonstrated such narrow path since i have partaken onto this forum.
Old 18-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #1831
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

From tuffyy at SSP:
Quote:
Should be a route announcement coming up shortly for YEG again (talks wrapped up this week).

Is it big? Think of AC replacement outside of BA to Europe (I think thats clear).

No, its not Asia, so don't speculate about it.
Old 18-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #1832
YEGBoeingPilot
First One is Always Free

FRA or AMS is my guess.
Old 18-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #1833
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Virgin, KLM, or Lufthansa to me would be the only true "AC replacements to Europe outside BA."

Westjet???

Virgin would be the biggest coup for YEG, as it would get the largest number of drivers from 'other Alberta cities', so that's whom I'm hoping.
Old 18-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #1834
IJM
First One is Always Free

In case tuffyy is reading this (or if anyone else is in the know...), would this new service be commencing before the end of the year? Looking into flight options for the UK/Europe for the festive season, and although Icelandair is a definate option, would be useful to compare with any other options if and when they become available.
IJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 12:32 AM   #1835
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJM View Post
In case tuffyy is reading this (or if anyone else is in the know...), would this new service be commencing before the end of the year? Looking into flight options for the UK/Europe for the festive season, and although Icelandair is a definate option, would be useful to compare with any other options if and when they become available.
My guess would be a spring 2015 start if it is announced now. Just a guess though.
Old 19-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #1836
IanO
Addicted to C2E

My bet is KLM share with Calgary or a codeshare.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #1837
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

I sure hope its not shared, those are dated strategies by airlines and suck for the business traveler.
Old 19-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #1838
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
If a shared flight - and a forced stop in YYC either to or from AMS - that is not much of a gain. I would rather stop in KEF both ways than in YYC on either the return or arrival.
Old 19-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #1839
Rocket252
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
I agree and think it is KLM and shared.

Would they up gauge to a 747 instead of the current A330 if indeed it is shared?
Rocket252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #1840
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

^ All depends if they could make more money using the 747 elsewhere or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentk View Post
I sure hope its not shared, those are dated strategies by airlines and suck for the business traveler.
Agreed. If shared in any sense I would hope it's the YEG - M/W/F, YYC - S/T/T/S sense.

Anything is welcomed of course, but just in case beggars get to choose is all.
Old 19-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #1841
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Is KLM daily now to YYC?? I would think if so, the only reason they would come here and share the flight is to recapture lost traffic that is now taking Icelandair from YEG. It won't work if flights are via YYC.

Last edited by EdmTrekker; 19-07-2014 at 09:19 PM..
EdmTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #1842
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

I would be ok with a shared flight if we depart last for Europe and arrive first on the return. two net positives could derive from this:
1. This will conditioned and programed the mindset of our southern counterpart to come up here for flights.
2. It gives us a great opportunity to advertise to them of our other offerings.

The other option is I hope they are challenger to *** Canada and its codeshared partners; and Edmonton is their staging ground leading to a future hub concept.
Old 19-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #1843
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
and Edmonton is their staging ground leading to a future hub concept.
Old 20-07-2014, 01:21 AM   #1844
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
Quote:
and Edmonton is their staging ground leading to a future hub concept.
Star Alliance attempted a majority foreign air carrier hub at Heathrow. It could happen at YEG (on a YEG scale, obviously.) A hub just means opportunity for line transfers through coordinated schedules and seamless/shared baggage handling and ticketing.

Arguably tricky without a domestic carrier, but again at Heathrow, domestic is a miniscule 7% of passengers, thus by logical equivalence of deprecating the significance of YEG's potential domestic hub traffic, you could call it a hub if they just let YEG handle some of the SEA-AMS overflow. Even if that only filled 5% of the YEG-AMS seats, that could easily be the difference between make or break.

Or you can define 'hub' in the narrow single-airline sense and ignore the whole discussion.

'tever.
Old 20-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #1845
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Stupid question: If it is KLM to AMS, would that be the reason for their YYC ads in WEM? To gauge local interest?

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 20-07-2014 at 09:50 AM..
Sonic Death Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #1846
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Very possibly.

Important "if" in there though.
Old 21-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #1847
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Preliminary WestJet Winter 2014-15 changes

Cabo San Lucas increase from 1 to 2 weekly
Cancun increase from 3 to 5 weekly
Las Vegas remains double daily
Los Angeles remains daily
Maui remains at 3 weekly
Mazatlan remains at 1 weekly
Orlando remains at 1 weekly
Palm Springs increase from 7 to 8 weekly
Phoenix remains at 10 weekly
Puerto Vallarta increase from 3 to 5 weekly

In case you're interested, Calgary to Miami is cancelled.
Old 21-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #1848
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Preliminary WestJet Winter 2014-15 changes

Cabo San Lucas increase from 1 to 2 weekly
Cancun increase from 3 to 5 weekly
Las Vegas remains double daily
Los Angeles remains daily
Maui remains at 3 weekly
Mazatlan remains at 1 weekly
Orlando remains at 1 weekly
Palm Springs increase from 7 to 8 weekly
Phoenix remains at 10 weekly
Puerto Vallarta increase from 3 to 5 weekly

In case you're interested, Calgary to Miami is cancelled.
Must mean American is ramping up. Did YYC get any new routes?
Old 21-07-2014, 12:47 AM   #1849
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

One weekly to Loreto, Mexico
Old 21-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #1850
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

WestJet non-stop flights to Halifax will be year-round from February 16. Previously operated June-August only.
Old 21-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #1851
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
WestJet non-stop flights to Halifax will be year-round from February 16. Previously operated June-August only.
Are those daily?
Old 21-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #1852
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

6 weekly, except Sunday
Old 21-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #1853
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
6 weekly, except Sunday
I guess if I took the time to read the blog I would not be asking such questions. Here it is:

http://blog.westjet.com/westjet-wint...ule-2014-2015/
Old 21-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #1854
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

That is great news, I would like to see Hamilton year round too as it is a great place to connect when travelling to the East.
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #1855
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
That is great news, I would like to see Hamilton year round too as it is a great place to connect when travelling to the East.
I've flown Calgary-Hamilton, the plane was three quarters empty, so I'm not sure how they are making it economic. Its sorta fun, because you hop off the 737 outside (no skybridge). I agree its great place to fly to, quick trip from there to Buffalo and decent priced flights.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #1856
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Interesting, I have flown Edmonton-Hamilton-Moncton many times (in-laws live in New Brunswick) and it has always been full.
Old 21-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #1857
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^It was funny, I forgot to turn off my phone, and half way through the journey it buzzed, and was asking me if I wanted to pay for a US roaming package (must have picked up a tower from 40,000 feet as crossing between Detroit and Chicago). I flew on weekend, maybe busier at other times.
Old 21-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #1858
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Summary of Changes to WestJet Winter 2014-15 Schedule

Gains
Cancun, increase from 3 to 5 weekly flights
Comox, increase from 6 to 7 weekly flights
Fort McMurray, increase from 19 to 26 weekly flights, effective Feb 15
Halifax, new winter service (5 weekly flights), effective Feb 15
Kamloops, new daily service, effective Feb 15
Puerto Vallarta, increase from 3 to 4 weekly (temporary increase to 5 from Nov-Jan)
Regina, increase from 20 to 21 weekly flights, effective Feb 15

Losses
Calgary, decrease from 63 to 62 weekly flights
Grande Prairie, decrease from 21 to 14 weekly flights
Vancouver, decrease from 55 to 54 weekly flights
Winnipeg, decrease from 14 to 13 weekly flights

Temporary Gains
Cabo San Lucas, increase from 1 to 2 weekly flights (Nov-Jan only, in Feb reverts to 1/week)
Palm Springs, increase from 7 to 8 weekly flights (Nov-Jan only, in Feb reverts to 7/week)

Totals
Net gain of 14 new flights/week*
Net gain of 1519 seats/week*

*excludes flights under “Temporary Gains”

All totals are versus last winter.

Last edited by TheGreatestX; 21-07-2014 at 03:43 PM..
Old 21-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #1859
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Thanks for the summary, great to see the changes from last year. Glad to see Kamloops in there, I assume that is on Encore.
Old 21-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #1860
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

If only Westjet would have given us Fort Lauderdale (like they gave Winnipeg) or Miami. Now that would have been sweet.
Old 22-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #1861
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
That's actually huge news. Great to hear.
Old 22-07-2014, 05:23 AM   #1862
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

Great news with Halifax. All the trades people will be happy with this for the very east coast. They been desiring this for quite a long time as the layover in Toronto takes up 1/2 of their day.

Re:Moa...

Edmonton/Hamilton are busy due to the trades. They want Edmonton not Calgary. This cancellation is great for us as it could encourage Calgarians to come up and use this flight from here.

overall, it's great to see Westjet focusing on true business advantages than the hub model in this instance.
Old 22-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #1863
howie
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
Interesting, I have flown Edmonton-Hamilton-Moncton many times (in-laws live in New Brunswick) and it has always been full.
Absolutely correct. Came back from Moncton last night - every seat taken. I'm a regular customer on that route (summer only, of course) and would love to see it go year-round, even if it were only 1 or 2 a week.
Old 22-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #1864
Jarrod

Quote:
Edmonton/Hamilton are busy due to the trades. They want Edmonton not Calgary. This cancellation is great for us as it could encourage Calgarians to come up and use this flight from here.
What cancellation are you referring to?

I think next year we may see more routes go all year. Halifax is a good start!
Jarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #1865
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

Cal/ Hamilton flight.
Old 22-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #1866
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I wonder if some of these passengers go onto Fort McMurray, about a 30-minute flight saving in Edmonton.
Old 22-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #1867
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Cal/ Hamilton flight.
I guess Hamilton Airport webpage not up to date? Says YEG is seasonal and YYC is year round? Now I am confused ctz-ed...what is correct?

http://flyhamilton.ca/passenger/flig...ons-route-map/
Old 22-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #1868
chupa
Addicted to C2E

Hamilton will remain seasonal for this season, Halifax is going to 5 weekly over the winter.

Sounds like a bit of confusion.
chupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #1869
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Calgary-Hamilton is not cancelled. Don't know what he's talking about.
Old 22-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #1870
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

l^
correct!

My apology for mixing up thoughts. It's Cal/Miami that is or will be cancelled.
Old 22-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #1871
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
I wonder if some of these passengers go onto Fort McMurray, about a 30-minute flight saving in Edmonton.
They sure do. 30 min don't seem a lot but factor in other travel and transfer etc., it can become less stressful.
Old 22-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #1872
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Effective September 21, United will relaunch second daily Houston flight, albeit on United Express.
Old 23-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #1873
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

This is a normal adjustment for IAH. The express flight is new but was expected. Mainline returns in October. I would mind seeing them increase frequency and use the 170's all the time.
Old 23-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #1874
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentk View Post
This is a normal adjustment for IAH. The express flight is new but was expected. Mainline returns in October. I would mind seeing them increase frequency and use the 170's all the time.
Late evening flight please to allow for connections in the am to points far South
Old 25-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #1875
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Low-cost U.S. airline giant Southwest Airlines Co., says Canada is on a list of “attractive” destinations it is considering for expansion – a development that would shake up Canada-U.S. air travel.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle19783679/
Old 28-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #1876
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Here's some information. It is based on a random day in July and doesn't include charter flights.

Edmonton International Airport - Top Airlines and Routes July 2014

Top 5 Airlines by Daily Departures
1. Air Canada/Air Canada Express (57) [tie]
1. WestJet/WestJet Encore (57) [tie]
3. United/United Express (9)
4. Central Mountain Air (6)
5. Alaska Airlines (3)

Although WestJet and Air Canada have the same amount of daily departures, WestJet has way more mainline flights.

Top 10 Airlines by Daily Seats
1. WestJet/WestJet Encore (7154)
2. Air Canada/Air Canada Express (4979)
3. United/United Express (759)
4. American Airlines/US Airways (278 )
5. Alaska Airlines (228 )
6. Canadian North (224)
7. Delta/Delta Connection (202)
8. Icelandair (183)
9. Central Mountain Air (172)
10. Air North (156)

Top 5 Airlines by Destinations Served
1. WestJet/WestJet Encore (19)
2. Air Canada/Air Canada Express (12)
3. United/United Express (5)
4. Central Mountain Air (4)
5. American Airlines/US Airways (2) [tie]
5. Northwestern Air (2) [tie]

Top 10 Destinations by Daily Frequency
1. Calgary (26)
2. Toronto (19)
3. Vancouver (17)
4. Fort McMurray (9)
5. Grande Prairie (8 )
6. Winnipeg (6)
7. Yellowknife (5)
8. Kelowna (4) [tie]
8. Regina (4) [tie]
8. Saskatoon (4) [tie]

Top 15 Destinations by Daily Seats
1. Toronto (2844)
2. Vancouver (1999)
3. Calgary (1896)
4. Fort McMurray (739)
5. Winnipeg (558 )
6. Kelowna (544)
7. Yellowknife (525)
8. Grande Prairie (484)
9. Victoria (391)
10. Montreal (362)
11. Ottawa (330)
12. Las Vegas (310)
13. Abbotsford (272)
14. Regina (256) [tie]
14. Saskatoon (256) [tie]

Old 28-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #1877
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

It's funny how lopsided it appears - seemingly dominated by Westjet and Air Canada in every category - and yet how vastly more balanced it actually is compared with 10 years ago.
Old 28-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #1878
Doppelganger

^^ What a great analysis - thanks for putting this together.

Perhaps I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised by the large number of daily seats and flights to Toronto.

If it's not too much work, would you be willing to consider doing one of these for a random day during the winter as well?
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #1879
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Yup, I plan on it.
Old 28-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #1880
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Here's some information. It is based on a random day in July and doesn't include charter flights.

Edmonton International Airport - Top Airlines and Routes July 2014

Top 5 Airlines by Daily Departures
1. Air Canada/Air Canada Express (57) [tie]
1. WestJet/WestJet Encore (57) [tie]
3. United/United Express (9)
4. Central Mountain Air (6)
5. Alaska Airlines (3)

Although WestJet and Air Canada have the same amount of daily departures, WestJet has way more mainline flights.

Top 10 Airlines by Daily Seats
1. WestJet/WestJet Encore (7154)
2. Air Canada/Air Canada Express (4979)
3. United/United Express (759)
4. American Airlines/US Airways (278 )
5. Alaska Airlines (228 )
6. Canadian North (224)
7. Delta/Delta Connection (202)
8. Icelandair (183)
9. Central Mountain Air (172)
10. Air North (156)

Top 5 Airlines by Destinations Served
1. WestJet/WestJet Encore (19)
2. Air Canada/Air Canada Express (12)
3. United/United Express (5)
4. Central Mountain Air (4)
5. American Airlines/US Airways (2) [tie]
5. Northwestern Air (2) [tie]

Top 10 Destinations by Daily Frequency
1. Calgary (26)
2. Toronto (19)
3. Vancouver (17)
4. Fort McMurray (9)
5. Grande Prairie (8 )
6. Winnipeg (6)
7. Yellowknife (5)
8. Kelowna (4) [tie]
8. Regina (4) [tie]
8. Saskatoon (4) [tie]

Top 15 Destinations by Daily Seats
1. Toronto (2844)
2. Vancouver (1999)
3. Calgary (1896)
4. Fort McMurray (739)
5. Winnipeg (558 )
6. Kelowna (544)
7. Yellowknife (525)
8. Grande Prairie (484)
9. Victoria (391)
10. Montreal (362)
11. Ottawa (330)
12. Las Vegas (310)
13. Abbotsford (272)
14. Regina (256) [tie]
14. Saskatoon (256) [tie]

Very good work.
Old 29-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #1881
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Its interesting looking at the stats. Westjet shows Edmonton more love than Air Canada does. I guess WJ does have an Alberta HQ ("evil" Calgary), not a Quebec one, perhaps that makes it more focussed on the west?
Old 29-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #1882
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
WestJet beats forecast as Q2 profit surges 16 per cent to $51.8 million
BY ROSS MAROWITS, THE CANADIAN PRESS JULY 29, 2014

WestJet beats forecast as Q2 profit surges 16 per cent to $51.8 million

WestJet Airlines Ltd. beat expectations as the airline's profits surged nearly 16 per cent to $51.8 million in the second quarter.

The Calgary-based airline said Tuesday it earned 40 cents per diluted share for the three months ended June 30. That compared with a profit of $44.7 million or 34 cents per share a year ago.

Revenue increased 10.3 per cent to $930.3 million from $843.7 million in the second quarter of 2013.
Quote:
WestJet recently selected four Boeing 767-300ERW aircraft to be used on routes between Alberta and Hawaii during the winter beginning in late 2015.

The bigger planes can fly further than WestJet's current fleet of Boeing 737s and allow it to compete with Air Canada (TSX:AC.B) on more routes.

The airline says it expects to expand its operation into overseas markets starting in the summer of 2016.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...dmontonjournal
Old 29-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #1883
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Adding four 767-300ERW aircraft to the WestJet fleet
Richard Bartrem July 29, 2014

What a great day for WestJetters and our guests! Today, we announced that we will be acquiring four Boeing 767-300ERW in 2015. To break down the numbers, the 767 is the aircraft type, 300 is the series number – the medium size, if you will, of the 200, 300 and 400 series aircraft. The ER is extended range, meaning it has increased fuel and therefore range capabilities and finally, the W indicates that these aircraft are outfitted with winglets which improve the fuel efficiency of the aircraft.

Quote:
In due course, we will announce where we’ll deploy these aircraft for summer 2016. With a comfortable, wide-body cabin with range approaching 11,000 kilometres we have some great choices to make!

Inside the cabin, we anticipate having 262 seats with a regular cabin and a version of our Plus seating also available. We plan on outfitting our 767 aircraft with our new inflight entertainment system so that our guests will have something to pass the time as they fly through our network.
http://blog.westjet.com/adding-boein...ircraft-fleet/
Old 29-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #1884
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^very nice, but taking it very "slow" - just 4. With airlines converting to 787's though, there should be some nice deals for them to get more.
Old 29-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #1885
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

^ That's a good start, AC has been in the game forever and have 17 of these aircraft. Westjet started out "slow" as well, now they have 120 aircraft (including Encore) and unlike AC, actually turn a profit every quarter. Slow seems to be working for them....

Last edited by Hilman; 29-07-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Old 29-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #1886
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^do they have to do ETOPs for each new 767 after this, or just this first batch? If just the first, that would also be a reason to go slow. I note Air Canada seem to be doing ETOP's / domestic flights with their 787's as well.
Old 29-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #1887
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Saw this on Flight Global earlier. Made me wonder if Westjet will become the mysterious "AC replacement to LHR."

I would welcome any airline not associated with Calgary's Derek Vanstone, but 2016 is a long time to wait.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM   #1888
LO 044

WestJet's employee cost structure and fleet commonality will allow them to save costs and offset the gas guzzling (lol only to the 787) 767's fuel costs. I love the 767 and hope WS uses them for some years to come. I agree, prices on these aircraft will be good for years to come except for those 767's being sold by AC lol.
LO 044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM   #1889
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
I agree, prices on these aircraft will be good for years to come except for those 767's being sold by AC lol.
AC will fly those to death on Rouge holiday routes before they sell them.